PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Man i HATE being stupid

spyder91290
09-03-2008, 09:52 PM
i have questions about cars that all of you are probably going to make fun of me for... but its cool... just answer if you can and try notto ridicule me TOO much:
(ok here goes the humiliation)

Short shifters... whats the point?
how can i tell what type engine i have?
what are the easiest ways to gain speed/quickness that are kinda cheap?

Also i know this isnt really the right section, but if ne1 has any parts they want to sell me just lmk...

oh and of course i drive a

1989 Honda Accord SE-i coupe 2-door.

Thx 4 the help- Daniel

Atlblkz06
09-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Short throw shifters give you a quick switch like motion and attempt to cure the long sloshy throw that many cars have. Short throw = quick shift, and thats the bottom line.

Engine: You can look up the car's details using the VIN number but not sure exactly how to do it. Best place to look is on the engine block. or under the engine when changing the oil. If you look at the number of cylinders it has, chances are you can search online and find the engine ID.

I dont know if there is much you can do to speed up your car, so I'll let the others try the last Q.

Nex
09-03-2008, 10:03 PM
we all start from somewhere

spyder91290
09-03-2008, 10:04 PM
thx guys so far

anyone else on the speed/quickness issue?

BTEC
09-03-2008, 10:11 PM
on hondas ur engine code can be found right by ur slave cylinder. where the tranny meets the block.

most ppl dnt take advantage of if but putting the smallest size wheel that will fit ur car is a cheap way of kinda changing ur gear ratio. makes ur gears short and ur car rev quicker so to speak.

lightweight flywheels are good for quicker accleration but if u pay somebody to do it, thatll take away from the cheap part. ACT flywheels are like 250.

short ram intakes are pretty cheap.

ud have to do some work to a cheap header to make it descent, but the material prolly wont last long depending on the brand.

eliminating ur resonator help get the exhaust out faster but of course it makes ur car louder.

etc....

Elbow
09-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Intake, header, exhaust, is it a 5 speed? Clutch and lightweight flywheel. I am not sure about mods for this engine. Of course people will say turbo. Do suspension make it fun to drive, springs, some nice struts, sway bar, wheels and GOOD TIRES.

BTEC
09-03-2008, 10:14 PM
suspension definitely makes ur car mor fun to drive. aint nun like taking a turn feeling like ur on rail road tracks/glued to the road.

spyder91290
09-03-2008, 10:20 PM
thx guys! and where should i look to get good parts? and dont forget if nebody has something that will fit my car just lmk. oh yea i forgot to say that i have an aftermarket muffler and i did cold air intake... its located in front of my right tire... and i also have some good tires... i just paid 700 for brand new rims and tires

Elbow
09-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Get a header and full exhaust. Just a muffler wont do much.

BTEC
09-03-2008, 10:24 PM
what kinda tires u got?

nippon power sells good stuff and gets to ga in bout 2 days.

get full exhaust, bigger/mandrel bet piping. full catback or mainstream can make u some good exhaust.

spyder91290
09-03-2008, 10:36 PM
i dont know the type of tires exactly but the brand is kuhmo aon voxx rims, and the exhaust things sounds very expensive... is it?

BTEC
09-03-2008, 10:39 PM
i dont know the type of tires exactly but the brand is kuhmo aon voxx rims, and the exhaust things sounds very expensive... is it?
kuhmos are alright, what size wheels?

exhaust is like 250 i think (dont quote me), all hand made, mandrel bent piping. and u can get ur muffler position ne way u want. even blowing the ground like some of the leaf blowers running around. lol!!!

quality work and power aint cheap. you can buy a full apexi or greddy for like 600 if u want.

spyder91290
09-03-2008, 11:19 PM
kuhmos are alright, what size wheels?

exhaust is like 250 i think (dont quote me), all hand made, mandrel bent piping. and u can get ur muffler position ne way u want. even blowing the ground like some of the leaf blowers running around. lol!!!

quality work and power aint cheap. you can buy a full apexi or greddy for like 600 if u want.

they are 15 inch rims,,, and that doesntsound bad for an exhaust... where would i get one from... and here comes the stupidness again... what is a full apexi or greddy?

jmar32
09-04-2008, 12:21 AM
apexi and greddy are two companys that make parts for alot of cars. a full exhaust would be from ur motor all the way back(headers, b pipe, cat, muffler). but if ur short on cash just buy in stages. headers one time. cat-bback another time. and so on. also the more torque u make the easier it is to get ur car moving. and the lighter the load on the crankshaft the better(aka removing power steering pump, ac)and lighter weight (lighter flywheel, lighter rotaing mass)

black_e92
09-04-2008, 12:26 AM
we all start from somewhere

^ def. true... EVERY1 had to start somewhere

Catnip
09-04-2008, 03:39 AM
Before y'all go telling this guy to do everything so that he looks like the average ricer (minus what Simon said. lol) lets see what his goal is with the car. Don't take off power steering, a/c, etc unless it's a track car. Take it from someone that has gutted a few street cars, the performance gain isn't worth it... just makes you look like you're trying too hard and don't know much. A rule of thumb is for every 100 pounds you take out, you gain one tenth in the quarter mile. That's not a lot of time and that's a lot of stuff to equal 100 pounds. Anyways, look up a good forum for your generation accord and see what mods react the best to your motor/car. If full exhaust adds 5hp, is the $400+ bill for that worth it to you? I'd go with what Simon said unless you're never gonna track it and want a really smooth ride... but that goes back to us needing to know your goal.

my two cents.

Revmaynard
09-04-2008, 03:45 AM
Dude, you owe me four cents, and you're giving our two in here? Ass! lol ;p

Catnip
09-04-2008, 03:56 AM
Dude, you owe me four cents, and you're giving our two in here? Ass! lol ;p

Hit your mom up for the other 2 cents, I had to pay her ealier.

:ninja:

Revmaynard
09-04-2008, 04:02 AM
Hit your mom up for the other 2 cents, I had to pay her ealier.

:ninja:

She's gotta make a living somehow I suppose.

2turbo4u
09-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Try this http://www.3geez.com/forum/
I remember they had a turbo kit for these cars, Place racing had did a H22 swap into one years ago. D.C sports had exhaust, headers for these cars,eibach springs.

JITB
09-04-2008, 10:59 AM
u should talk to "mushroom toy" he has a accord like yours... and knows them pretty well!

87 Turbo II
09-04-2008, 02:57 PM
they are 15 inch rims,
that;s not your tire size tire size is a 3 part name you should find it embedded somewhere on the tire.
Example

mine are 205-60R-13
205 mm wide 60 series thirteen inch rim
^^this is mostly the part we care about wider=more grip, and smaller series essentially reduce your gearing for better acceleration and lower top speed.

spyder91290
09-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Before y'all go telling this guy to do everything so that he looks like the average ricer (minus what Simon said. lol) lets see what his goal is with the car. Don't take off power steering, a/c, etc unless it's a track car. Take it from someone that has gutted a few street cars, the performance gain isn't worth it... just makes you look like you're trying too hard and don't know much. A rule of thumb is for every 100 pounds you take out, you gain one tenth in the quarter mile. That's not a lot of time and that's a lot of stuff to equal 100 pounds. Anyways, look up a good forum for your generation accord and see what mods react the best to your motor/car. If full exhaust adds 5hp, is the $400+ bill for that worth it to you? I'd go with what Simon said unless you're never gonna track it and want a really smooth ride... but that goes back to us needing to know your goal.

my two cents.

my goal isnt really to gain a lot of sped, just a little bit... i dont not want to take off pars, cause i am not going to take it to the tracks. my intentions are mainly for looks and just a little bit more quickness.