PDA

View Full Version : SBC bolt removal

Slomaro Z28
09-01-2008, 11:13 PM
So, I need someone close that can pull a broken bolt out of an aluminum head.
The bolt is broken off in the head, meaning there is none sticking out and its not flush. This will have to be drilled and pulled out, or drill it a size bigger and tap new threads. Sounds easy, well here is the hard part... I need the head to stay on the motor, its tight and not much room and to make it worse its one in the back. Goza said $30 to fix if I remove the head (thats alot of work in this tight area) not to mention gaskets and little stuff.

The car is a '95 Camaro Z28 LT1. Its the driver side head (easier of the 2), I have the manifold off, will need the brake booster removed and the steering shaft unhooked I'd imagine.

Anyone thinks they can do it or have more questions PM me.

PS: Dont solicit any busniess, just PM me:ninja:

X-Runner
09-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Pull the engine... leave the head on it.

redrumracer
09-01-2008, 11:18 PM
HOLY HELL good luck on that man.

Slomaro Z28
09-01-2008, 11:20 PM
Engine has to come out the bottom......and my lift is um........broken...... yeah, thats it broken.......

03RCode
09-01-2008, 11:21 PM
Wow... not going to be an easy job. Your best bet is to buy an extractor set and try it yourself. Anyone that does it I can assure you will not be cheap.

X-Runner
09-01-2008, 11:21 PM
Jack stands then. If it has to come out the bottom thats even eaiser. Just drop it down enough to get to it.

03RCode
09-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Pull the engine... leave the head on it.

Haven't worked on an LT1, or 4th gen in general have you? The engine goes into the firewall, basically under the dash a pretty good ways. Easiest engine removal is out the bottom... and its FAR from easy.

Slomaro Z28
09-01-2008, 11:23 PM
It has been done by someone on Z28.com, they had a small air powered drill with an angle head or something.....just drilled a small hole and used the extractor. I dont trust myself to drill into it.

03RCode
09-01-2008, 11:24 PM
An extractor is as easy as it gets to use. Ask around, see if someone has a drill thats small enough to fit in the area, if everything is removed it should be able to be done fairly simply.

X-Runner
09-01-2008, 11:25 PM
Haven't worked on an LT1, or 4th gen in general have you? The engine goes into the firewall, basically under the dash a pretty good ways. Easiest engine removal is out the bottom... and its FAR from easy.

No I havent, but after working on 6.4 powerstrokes nothing else is really "hard."

Slomaro Z28
09-01-2008, 11:25 PM

QFT, guess I'll just pull the heads..... hate it tho. wish I had the funds to port them and the intake while its all off.

03RCode
09-01-2008, 11:26 PM
No I havent, but after working on 6.4 powerstrokes nothing else is really "hard."

I would rather work on ANYTHING before my LT1... It's a love/hate relationship for sure.

Slomaro Z28
09-01-2008, 11:26 PM

I'll give you my address then, mapquest it and LMK when is good for ya....lol J/K

Slomaro Z28
09-01-2008, 11:29 PM
The thing about pulling these head are they are reverse flow....the coolant runs through the heads first, which means I have to drain my radiator and stuff.

03RCode
09-01-2008, 11:29 PM
If you werent so damned far away I'd be more than glad to help. I'm going to say I'd try to get an extractor to fit in there before I'd go through the trouble of pulling the head off. I got my extractor set off the MAC truck for around $60 IIRC. It's something I would recommend owning and knowing how to use for sure, it'll pay for itsself quickly. I'll look at my car tommorrow and see if I can think of any way to make it easier on you.

X-Runner
09-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Yep yep. Have fun. And Im not scared lol. I do this crap daily, its whatever at this point honestly.

Slomaro Z28
09-01-2008, 11:31 PM
If you werent so damned far away I'd be more than glad to help. I'm going to say I'd try to get an extractor to fit in there before I'd go through the trouble of pulling the head off. I got my extractor set off the MAC truck for around $60 IIRC. It's something I would recommend owning and knowing how to use for sure, it'll pay for itsself quickly. I'll look at my car tommorrow and see if I can think of any way to make it easier on you.

Thanks, and I'll pick one up this week. Its the bolt before the last one, in front of the last primary. (Not the very back one)

EDIT: I'd say that I'd pay for gas, but as I drive the same car....:no:

Slomaro Z28
09-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Yep yep. Have fun. And Im not scared lol. I do this crap daily, its whatever at this point honestly.

I hear ya, I was hoping for some cheap friendly help, not free but not pay someones hourly pay for.

03RCode
09-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Something like a small 1/4" air drill or so SHOULD fit in there fairly simply. Be sure to get a GOOD quality extractor set. Break a bit and be back in the same spot as you are now. Other than that shouldnt be too big of a job.

X-Runner
09-01-2008, 11:34 PM
I hear ya, I was hoping for some cheap friendly help, not free but not pay someones hourly pay for.

If I was at a shop were I could do it there Id say bring it over and Id help you out, but I really hate working on sh!t in the drive way you know? How far is Acworth from Conyers?

Slomaro Z28
09-01-2008, 11:36 PM
If I was at a shop were I could do it there Id say bring it over and Id help you out, but I really hate working on sh!t in the drive way you know? How far is Acworth from Conyers?

yeah, I know trust me...and not really sure, you gonna be @ the V thurs. You parked right across from me last month, you could take a look.

03RCode
09-01-2008, 11:38 PM
yeah, I know trust me...and not really sure, you gonna be @ the V thurs. You parked right across from me last month, you could take a look.

If you dont have it fixed by the V I'd gladly take a look. I have had my fair share of experience with work on these cars. What headers are you running as well?

X-Runner
09-01-2008, 11:38 PM

Yeah Ill be there. Ill look at it, depending on that I might can help you in the driveway lol.

Slomaro Z28
09-01-2008, 11:42 PM
If you dont have it fixed by the V I'd gladly take a look. I have had my fair share of experience with work on these cars. What headers are you running as well?

I have mid length pace setters, not my first choice but at the price couldn't beat it. The bolt was already broke when I got the car, but the gasket was sealed.....I put my headers on and now it leaks and backfires LOUD!:doh:
And the new gasket will not seal!?!?!

03RCode
09-01-2008, 11:44 PM
Hhhmm, did you try simply to double gasket it? My buddies LS1 car we had to double gasket with a layer of high temp RTV in between to get a decent seal.

redrumracer
09-01-2008, 11:54 PM
also have you tried not using a gasket? i did this on my 350 swapped blazer and never had a problem with it not sealing. the only thing is that if you decide not to use a gasket then you have to do it all the way. ie use gasket for half the header and then not for the other half.

Slomaro Z28
09-02-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm gonna try the double gasket tonight, see if it helps but I'd really like to have the bolt removed.