PDA

View Full Version : weird overheating?? plz assist..

0p7!mu5
09-01-2008, 11:31 AM
Ok here's the deal. My stock motor in my 91 crx (dx) pretty much blew a month ago and ended up going single cam vtec. Havent gotten the MPFI done due to funds but I was told the motor should start up and run on just wouldn't have that much pwer thanks to the injectors. Well friend did the swap and when I started it up it cranked fine minus the smoke and drove ok for about a good 20 minutes then the damn thing overheated.

I thought it might be the head gasket but that was brand new. Outside of the fans being retarded and not comming on all the time (simple wiring job im sure) I'm tryin to guess what else could cause it to go like that.

Its fine if you just sit there and not try to move the car (like turn car on and sit=no overheating) but the minute the check engine light comes or I hit the gas it starts revving harder then starts over heating.

Im sure the fans are a major issue (duh!) but I have a feeling its not entirely it. Any suggestions on where else to look??

Tech5
09-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Yeah you need to Burp the coolant system to get all the air out!

Also might want to check or replace the thermostat!

make sure your radiator isnt Clogged up/stopped up!

Try those simple things second!

Fix your dayum fans first!!!!!!!!

0p7!mu5
09-01-2008, 01:06 PM
well i thought the fans were fine til i pulled over and noticed that well **** just didnt turn on. i was thinkin about tryin to replace the thermostat too. thanks..

Scotsman
09-01-2008, 01:45 PM
what ecu are you runnin?

0p7!mu5
09-01-2008, 02:14 PM
the stock one i believe. pretty much I brought the car a few months back just to have a dd and this happend so it was bone stock minus the exhaust and the steering wheel

03RCode
09-01-2008, 07:25 PM

Exactly.

The fan could be a major issue with your overheating, if nothing else wire it up so it runs all the time, or even throw it on a toggle switch. I'd also flush the radiator and cooling system, check all your hoses, etc. Thermostat is also a very simple fix that could be causing it.

I would for sure check the CEL as well, it could turn out to be vital information to you regarding this.

G.C
09-02-2008, 12:11 AM
check the CEL. lol.

Barefoot
09-02-2008, 04:30 AM

Fix your dayum fans first!!!!!!!!QTF if those dont work u got some major issues

mitch lab
09-02-2008, 08:42 AM
also check the fan relay.

dohc4.6sc
09-02-2008, 06:11 PM

Exactly what i was gonna say.

Btw you can always straight wire your fans and have a switch in the car that turns them on, its ghetto but it works.