PDA

View Full Version : 96 Teg, Hondabuilder and whoever owned b4

psycho_freke
08-31-2008, 07:55 PM
PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD!

I bought a '96 DB8 GSR from Hondabuilder (Chris Young) about 6 months ago, and would like to make it known that somewhere along the line, whether it be Chris, or the guy he bought it from, the engine was removed from the car and was put back together very shotty. I've put a little work into the car and it's getting better, but so far it still needs a lot of work. The rear motor mount was missing the bolt to the engine!!! All of the ball joints were missing the cotter pins, and I found several other misc. bolts missing. The car had a header that was nearly cracked in two that I didn't know about when I bought the car, and I put almost $800 in the exhaust alone! I don't know much about transmissions, so the guy that I had help me change the clutch, moved the shaft on the inside of the bell housing and said that the tranny sounded like it was going out. Nearly everybody I've spoken with on the forum says that they think I've got an LS tranny, however I'm unable to find the VIN plate on it to verify. I wish I could remember everything that I've found wrong with this car, but I can't. The thing didn't even have a PCV valve on it when I got it (causing the oil to spit all over the firewall). Where the brake lines come together at the firewall (there is some sort of a peice there that they come into, although I'm not certain what it's called) is leaking brake fluid. The brake lines under the car are rusted and could go anytime. The VTEC solenoid's spool valve filter assembly is leaking oil everywhere and I was not notified of ANY of these problems when I bought the car. The alignment is so far gone that both front tires wear on the inside really bad, and when I bought the car, Chris said that there was no way that a car would wear tires like that and that itbe that someone who had the tires before must have had too large of tires on the vehicle causing them to rub on the inside, playing it off and then putting a used set of tires on the front to make it look like everything was okay. 5 months later, I looked at the tires, and they looked just like the old ones that Chris took off. Almost every motor mount and bushing in the car is GONE! I don't know who exactly is to blame for all of this shotty workmanship, but to whoever it was :2up: There is no way any decent mechanic would miss all of this ****. I know Chris only had the car for a month, so I don't know how much of this he may or may not be to blame for, however, he should have noticed at the very least that the bolt was missing from the rear motor mount! I should hope whoever sold this ragged out crap like this that I'm spending so much money on will step up and admit their wrong doing. I feel a little ripped off at this point and would like to know who exactly is to blame!

Scotsman
08-31-2008, 07:59 PM
wow , hope this gets resolved

psycho_freke
08-31-2008, 09:31 PM
I think it's a little late for a resolution at this point, unfortunately. I would just like to know who is to blame for the shotty workmanship so that everyone on the forum can know to look out for him when buying and to take his advice with a grain of salt. I already know that whoever it is, will be unlikely to step up to the plate and say "I did it," however, someone who had this car at some point most likely knows who screwed it up/didn't do it right. I'm not directly blaming Chris, but I think there were a couple things that were a little too obvious for him to miss... like the missing motor mount bolt. If Chris only had the car for a month as he said, then it's quite possible that there are a number of the other issues that he wasn't even aware of.

Schugg
09-01-2008, 02:02 PM
blame yourself? but hopefully next time you will know not to take peoples word for it, doesnt matter who they are, friend, stranger, there either not going to know everything about it no matter how obvious, and they wont tell you everything no matter how small. honestly a missing tranny bolt isnt obvious unless the motor rocks when you drive. my civic wasnt missing one but it was sticking almost all the way out hanging there and i didnt notice when i looked my car over before buying it

quickdodgeŽ
09-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Why this section, dude? This should be in BUYER/SELLER FEEDBACK section. Later, QD.

Barefoot
09-01-2008, 02:16 PM
smalls u got nobody to be made at but yourself. when u buy a car your supposed to look it over.

to the seller u got over on this but might not be as lucky next time.
to the buyer u should have looked at it better.

VickNotic
09-01-2008, 02:38 PM
smalls u got nobody to be made at but yourself. when u buy a car your supposed to look it over.

to the seller u got over on this but might not be as lucky next time.
to the buyer u should have looked at it better.

+1 was about to say the same! dont everyone test drive/inspect the cars before buying..!!:thinking:

X-Runner
09-01-2008, 02:45 PM

I agree. You bought a used car as is and simply put any time you buy a used car IMO your buying someone elses problem.

psycho_freke
09-01-2008, 04:26 PM
On the one hand, I do take responsibility for the fact that I didn't look it over as well as I should have. However, the "who to blame" part was on who was to blame for the shotty workmanship! Obviously not me since I hadn't worked on it, yet! I take the blame for not catching everything when I bought it, but I refuse to take the blame for the workmanship. The tranny bolts were only loose (which I regret to inform had to have been Chris since he did the synchros). It was the bolt to the rear motor mount to the motor itself missing that really got me. Sorry, but someone would have to be an idiot to leave that out! Anyway, I'm sorry about posting in the wrong forum. Perhaps a mod could move this for me? Regardless of whether I should have checked the car out better or not, this shotty workmanship was bad enough (missing all of the cotter pins on all 4 ball joints!) that it could have cost me my life if I hadn't caught it. For this reason, I think whoever it was should step forward or be called out if you know who it was so that we can all know to be cautious of vehicles and info from this person!

Tech5
09-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Shouldnt this be in the feedback forum?

Z0_o6
09-01-2008, 05:22 PM
I accept responsibility for not looking the car over very thoroughly in the short time that I owned it. Period. I bought the car to sell, and I flat out paid attn. to the stuff that was most obvious. I do NOT sidestep the blame for that. When I rebuilt the transmission, I did it the DAY BEFORE you purchased the vehicle, and that was only because I was able to put you off long enough to do that, I didn't have any time to rectify any of this stuff, you wanted the car immediately. I explained to you when we spoke that I had not had the car for any amount of time, and therefore had not gone over it with a fine tooth comb, so any other issues were strictly out of my hands, you accepted that condition. I purchased the car not running, it was taken apart, I replaced the head gasket, radiator and rebuilt the transmission. Other than that I didn't mess with the car. When I showed you the vehicle, we went down the road you saw that it tracked straight, therefore I assumed it didn't need an alignment because, and i reiterate, I DIDN'T HAVE THE CAR A MONTH. I never registered it, and put less than 500 miles on it, just enough to make sure it wouldn't overheat after replacing the head gasket. I apologize for the vehicle having so many problems, I truly do, but it is yours now. I had it, didn't need/want it, now its no longer mine. Anyone who has dealt with me has seen I shoot straight, if there is a problem I'm aware of I will let you know, if I am NOT aware though, I can't let you know now can I?

Schugg
09-01-2008, 06:11 PM
if you dont want it ill buy it. im in texas though

psycho_freke
09-01-2008, 09:04 PM
I accept responsibility for not looking the car over very thoroughly in the short time that I owned it. Period. I bought the car to sell, and I flat out paid attn. to the stuff that was most obvious. I do NOT sidestep the blame for that. When I rebuilt the transmission, I did it the DAY BEFORE you purchased the vehicle, and that was only because I was able to put you off long enough to do that, I didn't have any time to rectify any of this stuff, you wanted the car immediately. I explained to you when we spoke that I had not had the car for any amount of time, and therefore had not gone over it with a fine tooth comb, so any other issues were strictly out of my hands, you accepted that condition. I purchased the car not running, it was taken apart, I replaced the head gasket, radiator and rebuilt the transmission. Other than that I didn't mess with the car. When I showed you the vehicle, we went down the road you saw that it tracked straight, therefore I assumed it didn't need an alignment because, and i reiterate, I DIDN'T HAVE THE CAR A MONTH. I never registered it, and put less than 500 miles on it, just enough to make sure it wouldn't overheat after replacing the head gasket. I apologize for the vehicle having so many problems, I truly do, but it is yours now. I had it, didn't need/want it, now its no longer mine. Anyone who has dealt with me has seen I shoot straight, if there is a problem I'm aware of I will let you know, if I am NOT aware though, I can't let you know now can I?

I wasn't attacking any one person to begin with. I didn't lay the blame on you, and assumed that you most likely didn't know much about the car. I never did rush you on delivery of the car, and you did tell me that you used it as your DD for a while. You also didn't tell me that you rebuilt the transmission, rather you said that you replaced the synchros. If you replaced the head gasket, it eludes me how you missed the missing motor mount bolt (which was also noticable from the bottom side of the car when removing the intermediate shaft to pull the tranny), since this has the head and intake out of your way and gives you a clear view of this missing bolt, since it was on the top side. The only way you would have missed it when you were putting the car back together would be if you weren't paying attention. Also, if you replaced the radiator, why was it not mounted in place? It was free floating when I got the car; no top mounts, no bottom mounts. You didn't tell me this, or that you had rebuilt the tranny before you sold me the car. Once again, you only told me that you were doing the synchros. You didn't mess with the gearing, did you? Everyone on the forum is telling me I have an LS tranny. You rebuilt the transmission the day before I bought the car? How could you possibly do a rebuild in one day, especially if you were as busy and strapped for time as you told me you were. Also, how could you not notice the missing cotter pins on the ball joints if you had the tranny out of the car? You've got to take all of that loose just to get it out of there! I know you say "I shoot straight" but the car is saying otherwise. As far as your ownership of the car, I could only go by what you told me. My wife and I both remember you saying that you had the car for about a month and used it as your DD for a short time. I now know who is to blame for a couple of things that were thrown together so loosely and in a hurry (tranny bolts, missing radiator mounts, etc). I'm done with this conversation.

PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD!