PDA

View Full Version : Weak startup, "dead" battery but not really, low idle... help?

osnap
08-31-2008, 07:10 PM
I'm probably just being a n00b in not being able to point out what the issue here is, but whatever. 94 del Sol VTEC (B16A3 / LS Trans) @ 156k mi. Recently replaced my distributor which temporarily resolved funky low idle issues I was having for a while. Battery is less than a year old, and I haven't left my headlights on or anything since replacing it, I have no radio, etc - point is I haven't drained the thing. ANYWAYS -

Cold startup is sometimes really weak and motor turns for abnormally long before baaaarely cranking up at low RPMs. Every once in a while I have to crank it twice before it'll start. Some days this isn't a problem, but it usually is when I'm starting the motor cold for the first time in a given day. If I turn the car off for a few hours and start it up again, it cranks right up. Sometimes I turn the ignition and its as if the battery is dead - just a hollow click - even though I used the power locks to unlock the door to begin with. If I just wiggle the terminals the slightest bit (I dont remove them or anything, just barely jiggle em) I can hop back in and crank it right up.

Also, my idle is sometimes stupid low, around 200 RPM or so, and low-end sometimes feels pathetically non-existant... even more than usual for a Honda :lmfao:. Cant really distinguish a pattern for this though, haven't paid enough attention to be honest. Overall power seems a little weak, but that could be in my head.

I know its vague, just thought I'd give you guys a shot at it. :D

+7 for help of course ;)

Maniacc
08-31-2008, 07:13 PM
Not an expert on Hondas, but have you checked your spark plugs?

osnap
08-31-2008, 07:16 PM
plugs were actually replaced and gapped somewhat recently but they could be fouled, didn't even think to check em. if thats it im gonna smack myself in the forehead.

Motivation
08-31-2008, 07:17 PM
Have you checked to see if timing got knocked off a little? Not really sure if that would be the problem for it not wanting to idle right sometimes...

As for not starting, you stated that when you "jiggle" the terminals it'll start right up? Maybe it doesn't have a good enough connection to "jump start" the car. It doesn't take that much power to use the power locks and all. Maybe new terminals? Not sure though. Good luck with it bro.

Or maybe starter starting to go bad? (not really sure, just things maybe to check?)

osnap
08-31-2008, 07:21 PM
i had a timing issue a while back but i completely adjusted it back to normal less than 2 months ago, so that shouldn't be the issue. The terminals are pretty new and are really heavy duty and very firmly tightened. im afraid it could be a starter/alternator issue, dunno.

Motivation
08-31-2008, 07:27 PM
Try removing the negative from the battery once it's started and see what it does... Might give ya an idea if it is the alternator or not.

Wurm
08-31-2008, 07:32 PM
injectors?

osnap
08-31-2008, 07:34 PM
injectors?*shrugs* maybe ill seafoam it and see... lol.

AnthonyF
08-31-2008, 07:40 PM
dont use seafoam.

Replace your terminals. Both of them. Thats an easy start. You can get an ohm meter and see how many volts your alt is putting out while running. But if it is idling low, check you idle screw and adjust it and see if that helps.

Do delsols have TPS'?

-Ant.

slostang
08-31-2008, 07:41 PM
I can sell you some sea foam at work! :D

Motivation
08-31-2008, 07:46 PM
and I have a few friends that might have some parts to replace what you mess up with the seafoam. :taun:

Wurm
08-31-2008, 07:51 PM
i would seafoam it cause that crap works wonders

osnap
08-31-2008, 07:57 PM
yeah they have TPS. as for this seafoam debate... ive heard both sides, but all in all Ive mostly heard good things. Ant and Motivation, yall wanna elaborate?

BTEC
08-31-2008, 07:57 PM
check ur charging system with a volt meter. 12.5 to 12.7 with everything off, including the engine. 13.3 to 14.5 at idle is what ur volt meter should read at the battery. 13.3 is on the low end of the scale and 14.5 is on the high end. sounds like r alt is going bad or u got bad connections since u say it starts fine if u wiggle the battery cables.

do that and let me know what u got.

AnthonyF
08-31-2008, 07:58 PM
^dont do the fuking sea foam sh*t.

Check ur TPS. Easy way, lightly tap in it with a blunt object while the car is running.
-Ant.

Motivation
08-31-2008, 08:03 PM
yeah they have TPS. as for this seafoam debate... ive heard both sides, but all in all Ive mostly heard good things. Ant and Motivation, yall wanna elaborate?

I was actually jk about it...
But, I've just heard of people having problems with seals afterwards. I heard it gets rid of the carbon build up though. IF you do use it... remember to read directions... heard of a guy that poured the whole thing into his oil. :no:

BTEC
08-31-2008, 08:06 PM
I was actually jk about it...
But, I've just heard of people having problems with seals afterwards. I heard it gets rid of the carbon build up though. IF you do use it... remember to read directions... heard of a guy that poured the whole thing into his oil. :no:
i dnt believe in ne thing that say "u can use me in ur oil, gas, suck me dwn ur intake, use me as anal lube, it dnt matter."

Motivation
08-31-2008, 08:11 PM
why not? it just means it's "universal" :rolleyes:

green91
08-31-2008, 08:11 PM
seafoam wont solve your problems.

check your voltage at idle. checking battery voltage with the car off doesnt tell very much, ive seen hundreds of batteries with good voltage (but low cca) that cant start anything. is the low idle rough at all? i would definitely put a timing light on it and check it.

BTEC
08-31-2008, 08:18 PM
seafoam wont solve your problems.

check your voltage at idle. checking battery voltage with the car off doesnt tell very much, ive seen hundreds of batteries with good voltage (but low cca) that cant start anything. is the low idle rough at all? i would definitely put a timing light on it and check it.
checking it at idle will tell u f u got a shorted sell or not. if its running and reading 14 volts that just tells u the alternator is charging.

i guess i shouldve posted the voltage at cranking too. voltmeter shouldnt drop below 10volts. 11's are what u should hope for.

green91
08-31-2008, 08:21 PM
uhm ok?

BTEC
08-31-2008, 08:22 PM
uhm ok?
you no comprende uh-me-go? lol!!!

green91
08-31-2008, 08:24 PM
i tried to comprende but 1) im not spanish and 2) your english sucks and 3) you quoted me and then didnt make any sense or any sort of rebuttal

BTEC
08-31-2008, 08:34 PM
i tried to comprende but 1) im not spanish and 2) your english sucks and 3) you quoted me and then didnt make any sense or any sort of rebuttal
My english sucks? Thats funny. You're probalby the only one that think that because u have no idea what im talking about. My bad for trying to help you out.

green91
08-31-2008, 08:35 PM
Im not trying to turn this thread into a pissing match but if youd like to compare automotive credentials we can

BTEC
08-31-2008, 08:46 PM
Im not trying to turn this thread into a pissing match but if youd like to compare automotive credentials we can
neither am i and lol.

jcs
08-31-2008, 09:36 PM
had the same prob not too long ago with the idle and starting but it was just that the nut for the cable had to be tightened to get a good connection on the post...hope you get it though...G/L

03RCode
09-01-2008, 01:45 AM
Sounds like an alternator issue to me. Try the simple stuff first, double check the terminals, and where they all lead. Take an ohm meter and check voltage, check the TPS like Ant said.

twinj
09-01-2008, 10:09 AM
How about the engine grounds? Have you tried those??

JDMJAYDC2
09-01-2008, 10:37 AM
^^ totally agree had the same problem with my b16 in my ef went to autozone and bought riding lawnmower battery cables and attached it from the frame of the car to a bolt on the vc never had any issues starting it since