PDA

View Full Version : transmission problems

Celica20V
08-29-2008, 06:32 PM
my 91 toyota celica st has been sitting for about a month. i need to get it back on the road. i was gonna buy a gt, but i think i wanna hold on to my st for the silver top ae101 swap. with that said, im gonna need to save up some more money before that swap. so i gotta fix the st for now.

my st is stuck in third gear. it happened when i was driving onto the highway. i was in third and was about to shift into fifth. you are saying wtf? 3-5 shift? lol. my fourth gear pops out when i give it throttle. if i rev match, i can engine brake. but no accel in fourth. any help on that problem?

the bigger problem: i was doing the 3-5 shift, but it wouldnt come out of third. so using both hands, i yanked it out. then i shifted into fifth. when i exited off the highway, i came to a stop light. the light turns green and i accel. 1-2, 2-3, 3-5, shifts, no problems. i stopped at more stop lights and there was no problems. i come to the final stop light before i turn into work. the light turns green and i accel. 1-2 shift, no problem. 2-3 shift, shift didnt feel very precise. 3-5 shift, nothing. it was stuck in third again. i yanked it out using both hands again but this time, i was still in third. the shifter moves foward and backward but the car is in third gear regardless.

i heard it could be a locking pin from one guy, and another said it could be the shift linkage. i asked my local dealer for a used tranny and they are asking $990. whats involved in a rebuild of the tranny? how much do they usually run? what do you guys think the problem(s) is? anyone ever had this problem(s)? could rebuilding it fix this problem(s)?

thanks for reading!

Captain-Obvious™
08-29-2008, 06:54 PM
I say check the linkage real good just to be sure...and if the linkage is straight then get a new tranny...and by new I mean junkyard or craigslist or something rebuilding your will be way more $ than just finding a used one

Celica20V
09-01-2008, 02:00 PM
thx.. i took ur tip and checked the linkage. they were moving but not as much as they should?? i'm gonna take it to aamco tommorow if i have time. i'll let you know what it was.