PDA

View Full Version : Major?

tony5607
08-29-2008, 04:48 PM
New here and I am really interested in cars. I'm only 14 so I got a long way to go but I want to know what major I should do.

Automotive Engineering or Mechanical Engineering.

I like the whole tuning up of car(pimping them out for looks and performance). I guess I got this interest a few years ago watching 2 Fast 2 Furious and The Fast and The Furious movies. Also from loving to drive and such.

So yea the jobs I might be interested in are tuning cars, Racing them(illegal :D) or participate in races(legal)

In a way I'm considered a rice boy.(Asian pun) :D

Atlblkz06
08-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Welcome, its nice to see that you're not only interested, but also taking initiative to get more information and reaching out there any way you can - Commendable for a 14 year old!

It depends on what you want to do really.

Do you want to repair car? Do you want to tune them? Do you want to work for BMW in the R&D department? There are an incredible number of ways you can contribute.

Since you have quite some time before you have to decide on your major in college, for now I recommend that you just soak it all in and find an area you're interested in. In high school, try to get as much experience as you can and maybe work part time at a shop or something like that. You wont know if something is really for you until you try it.

Good luck! You're off to a great start.

Captain-Obvious™
08-29-2008, 05:34 PM
New here and I am really interested in cars. I'm only 14 so I got a long way to go but I want to know what major I should do.

Automotive Engineering or Mechanical Engineering.

I like the whole tuning up of car(pimping them out for looks and performance). I guess I got this interest a few years ago watching 2 Fast 2 Furious and The Fast and The Furious movies. Also from loving to drive and such.

So yea the jobs I might be interested in are tuning cars, Racing them(illegal :D) or participate in races(legal)

In a way I'm considered a rice boy.(Asian pun) :D

do not buy a car and make it look like the cars in those movies

tony5607
08-29-2008, 05:36 PM
I really like to tune cars not repair them. I'm already in High school. Also I need to know now or sooner since the college I might go to doesn't have the major.

tony5607
08-29-2008, 05:37 PM
do not buy a car and make it look like the cars in those movies

Lol I probably start off and later when I get knowledge I move away from the typical Rice Burners to the Performance Cars.

Sorry for Double Post.

Humphrizzle
08-29-2008, 05:37 PM
uh..

Street racing is not a major. You cannot get a degree in that field.

Go buy a car, take it apart, and figure out how to put it back together. then go to school.

Captain-Obvious™
08-29-2008, 05:39 PM
no you misunderstand...you can buy a honda...or a mitsubishi...or a toyota...or whatever you want. Just don't put a body kit or humongous wing or underglow or giant tachs with shift lights or anything of the sort

tony5607
08-29-2008, 05:40 PM
uh..

Street racing is not a major. You cannot get a degree in that field.

Go buy a car, take it apart, and figure out how to put it back together. then go to school.

Actually I don't want a major in street racing. It's just for fun when I'm bored or something I go with friends.

Also I am in school. High School.

I guess I'm welcomed here now.

Humphrizzle
08-29-2008, 05:41 PM
nah.. you seem like a douche. and you have to be 18 to be on IA. learn as a guest!

tony5607
08-29-2008, 05:43 PM
nah.. you seem like a douche. and you have to be 18 to be on IA. learn as a guest!

Please don't judge depending on how I type. I REALLY want to learn.

no you misunderstand...you can buy a honda...or a mitsubishi...or a toyota...or whatever you want. Just don't put a body kit or humongous wing or underglow or giant tachs with shift lights or anything of the sort

I know. I ment during 18-20 When I'm in college I might do that since it looks nice. Then when I get my job I will stop doing it and do cars with better engines and crap like that.

Captain-Obvious™
08-29-2008, 05:44 PM
no man no...body kits and all that don't look good they don't look good at all

tony5607
08-29-2008, 05:47 PM
no man no...body kits and all that don't look good they don't look good at all

Well when you see me one day you can shout profanity to my pimped out Mitsubishi while I play extremely loud black music to irritate the nearby cars. :D

Scotsman
hope you enjoyed your stay

tony5607
That's mean.

I hope I do stay and you guysl can get to know me more.

Captain-Obvious™
08-29-2008, 05:48 PM
I wouldn't shout profanity I would just say "wow I wouldn't drive that car"

tony5607
08-29-2008, 05:50 PM
I wouldn't shout profanity I would just say "wow I wouldn't drive that car"

Everyone has opinions.

Captain-Obvious™
08-29-2008, 05:51 PM
exactly so do your thing boy...:goodjob:

tony5607
08-29-2008, 05:53 PM
So...just wondering am I stay or a go?

T.T

Scotsman
08-29-2008, 05:56 PM
That's mean.

I hope I do stay and you guysl can get to know me more.when a mod see's your age bro , instant bannage , nothin against you , i actually commend your maturity , but rules are rules

tony5607
08-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Well I hoped I represented the maturity of some teens these days and maybe you guys will see me again when I turn the age of 18.

Kids are our Future. ^.^

seanrg1116
08-29-2008, 06:01 PM
:welcome: :iaowns: NOW!

BAN THE MINOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lmfao:

tony5607
08-29-2008, 06:03 PM
:welcome: :iaowns: NOW!

BAN THE MINOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lmfao:

Shows how immature people are. :(

NewGen33
08-29-2008, 06:04 PM
no man you have to be 18 to be on here. I'm not going to do anything about it though cause I was 15 when I joined.

tony5607
08-29-2008, 06:07 PM
no man you have to be 18 to be on here. I'm not going to do anything about it though cause I was 15 when I joined.

Thanks.

But can anyone answer the question before I get banned. :(

NewGen33
08-29-2008, 06:09 PM
just edit that your 18 and fly under the radar. do that and i'll edit my post giving you away. Sorry man.

tony5607
08-29-2008, 06:09 PM
Okay but I don't see that making a difference unless EVERYONE that posted in my New member thread and this one edited their post.

Also forget it, you might get banned for that I think.

Scotsman
08-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Well I hoped I represented the maturity of some teens these days and maybe you guys will see me again when I turn the age of 18.

Kids are our Future. ^.^lolz , thats what scares me

NewGen33
08-29-2008, 06:11 PM
You want to do mechanical engineering for sure. The demand for engineers is ridiculous right now. Theres engineering grads getting signing bonuses before they even step out of college. You will have no problem finding a high paying job at all. They make VERY good money also.

bandydesign
08-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Tony, it sounds like you have a good attitude and I trust you have decent taste. If I can give you one piece of advice, I would say to save your money what you really want rather than spending all your money to make a decent car out of what can afford right away. Also, I don't know what you would like to do as a profession, but I can tell you what I am doing. I am at Georgia Tech studying Mechanical Engineering. I plan on working in the Automotive industry as an engineer in the research and design department. With my degree, I can work for a major automaker or in the automotive aftermarket to design parts or an entire vehicle. This major applies math, science and general problem solving to draft these parts.

If you want to work for a custom shop or a performance shop you do not need a degree for that, however you should consider how you will pay your bills; many want to work or own a custom shop, but it can be a difficult market to be successful in. Feel free to ask me any questions and I will do my best to give you some advice.

If you are banned, don't take that personally, you are not allowed on this site if you are under 18. You may email me with any questions at [email protected] if you can't PM me.

Best of Luck!

tony5607
08-29-2008, 06:15 PM
You want to do mechanical engineering for sure. The demand for engineers is ridiculous right now. Theres engineering grads getting signing bonuses before they even step out of college. You will have no problem finding a high paying job at all. They make VERY good money also.

Okay Thanks NewGen33.

Well I guess I should let yall know what College I might attend since it has Mechanical Engineering.

Georgia Tech. :goodjob: :goodjob:

Scotsman
08-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Okay Thanks NewGen33.

Well I guess I should let yall know what College I might attend since it has Mechanical Engineering.

Georgia Tech. :goodjob: :goodjob:my wife is a grad from Tech , best of luck to you bro:cheers: , oops nvm :goodjob:

tony5607
08-29-2008, 06:18 PM
Tony, it sounds like you have a good attitude and I trust you have decent taste. If I can give you one piece of advice, I would say to save your money what you really want rather than spending all your money to make a decent car out of what can afford right away. Also, I don't know what you would like to do as a profession, but I can tell you what I am doing. I am at Georgia Tech studying Mechanical Engineering. I plan on working in the Automotive industry as an engineer in the research and design department. With my degree, I can work for a major automaker or in the automotive aftermarket to design parts or an entire vehicle. This major applies math, science and general problem solving to draft these parts.

If you want to work for a custom shop or a performance shop you do not need a degree for that, however you should consider how you will pay your bills; many want to work or own a custom shop, but it can be a difficult market to be successful in. Feel free to ask me any questions and I will do my best to give you some advice.

If you are banned, don't take that personally, you are not allowed on this site if you are under 18. You may email me with any questions at [email protected] if you can't PM me.

Best of Luck!

K thanks. So I don't need a degree huh. My backup WAS to build new designs for cars but I don't know if I would be interested.

bandydesign
08-29-2008, 07:06 PM
K thanks. So I don't need a degree huh. My backup WAS to build new designs for cars but I don't know if I would be interested.

lol, well I suggest you aim for an engineering degree. You can always choose a path that requires less school, however get through high school and make your decision then. So for now, keep up with your school work and aim for an engineering degree.

tony5607
08-29-2008, 07:17 PM
I really don't want to have school for 2 years. It just sounds to me like I took the easy way out

I want to complete the 4 year at a college.

Ok so I decided to start off tuning cars and eventually owning my own performance shop OR go the other way and decide to become a car designer and create future car designs that require the use of other fuels.

SicStang03
08-29-2008, 07:29 PM
what high school you in?

tony5607
08-29-2008, 07:37 PM
what high school you in?

Not to be mean but it sounds like to me that the sentence you typed could pose a threat if I were to post an answer.

In other words, sorry stalker.

Sorry if I can't say.

SicStang03
08-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Not to be mean but it sounds like to me that the sentence you typed could pose a threat if I were to post an answer.

In other words, sorry stalker.

Sorry if I can't say.

Ya, I have a reputation on raping little Asian High School boys

tony5607
08-29-2008, 07:58 PM
Ya, I have a reputation on raping little Asian High School boys

Lol. :D