PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Oil Blowby

Ace
08-29-2008, 01:12 PM
I have a built 96 Eclipse GST. It was runnin terrible when I bought it and so I took it to Mainstream Performance. Before I took it to them, it idled okay and it never leaked anything or burned any oil or anything like that. While they were dyno tuning it, they fixed all the problems but two new ones popped up literally while it was on the dyno.

The first one is now it idles terribly, the guys at Mainstream said it needs a new Idle Speed Controller....which kinda sucks cuz it's like $280 for a new one and they're not easy to get to. On top of that, it wasn't an issue before I took it to them. So, could dyno tuning my car cause the ISC to go bad?

Second one is while it was on the dyno and they were taking the engine all the way to redline, every time theyd do that, oil started shooting out of where the dipstick goes into the block. It never did that before either. So, again, could dyno tuning my car cause that oil leak?

Any advice ya'll give is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :goodjob:

MR.EM1
08-29-2008, 01:26 PM
does it really matter if dyno tuning caused these problems? i mean just fix what needs to be fixed.whats done is done

Ace
08-29-2008, 01:37 PM
That's not really the advice I was looking for. But thanks for reading my post.

B18c1Turboed
08-29-2008, 05:59 PM
All kinds of stuff messes up on the dyno. SO yes it could have been caused by the dyno, but it was going too happen eighter on the dyno or streets!!

2nd how do you know it didnt have back presure while on the streets? Do u have a camera under your hood. More then likely its your rings. read my comment above..

And if you didnt want them taking it too redline you should have stopped them. Eighter way those problems that just happened nothing u can do but fix them!!!!!

Bruce Leroy
08-29-2008, 06:23 PM
Sounds like blow by... check the pcv, could be the rings, or maybe a cracked piston....

It doesn't matter if your 12 year old car broke during a dyno session. Its not their responsibility unless you can prove its their fault... ex, they didn't strap your car down properly and it came off the dyno.

Ace
08-29-2008, 10:41 PM
The pcv is good. We checked it at the shop.... Oh man... That means i've got an expensive problem. This sucks....
Thanks for the advice Bruce Leroy

EmminoDaGreat
08-29-2008, 10:45 PM
You forgot to say that you were driving around before hand with the wastegate vacuum line blown off and that you had the afc setting for hotwire instead of karman... also untuned...

You have pretty bad blowby, your pcv system however is working correctly. Your a/f's are also in the safe range... Iacv, try cleaning it and things of that nature before buying a new one.

Ace
08-31-2008, 12:07 AM
Sorry man, you're right. I should have mentioned that the previous owner ****ed around with the safc without knowing what he was doing. As soon as I had the 100 bucks to spend on gettin it tuned, I took it right to ya'll. And you did a great job. I can't believe how much better it's running. In that aspect, thanks a ton. I wasn't trying to lay blame, I was just trying to figure out if those problems could have been hidden by all the other problems, or if by running it so hard on the dyno could have caused the problems. I'm not gonna go after Mainstream or anything retarded like that. haha They did exactly what I asked them to do, and that was to tune my car. So that's all good.

I'm not trying to point fingers or anything like that. I just am ignorant to this kinda thing because I've never even had a car that I owned on a dyno before... But could all those wires that they were hooking up to it maybe have cause something to fry like the Idle Speed Controller? Again, not tryin to point fingers... I'm just curious is it possible?

Also, it had Autolite spark plugs in there when I got it. And it was running okay with them in there. And yesterday I replaced the Autolites with NGK G-Power. I installed them, and took it for a drive to make sure it wasn't misfiring or anything, and at high rpm's when boost starts kickin in above 10 psi, it feels like it randomly misfires. So, i took it home, took all the plugs out, and put them back in, this time being more careful to make sure they were installed right. Still, same thing. I did this 2 more times. All with the same results. I called the parts store just to verify that I'm not supposed to gap these plugs or anything and they said I was right. So I can't figure out what I've done wrong... Anyone got advice for me as to why the autolite plugs perform better than the ngk plugs?

Anyways, I'm beginning to ramble cuz it's so late.. Any advice that anyone can give me is appreciated. Thanks folks.

Ace
08-31-2008, 12:10 AM
Oh also, I did an engine flush and oil change the next day after I took it to the shop.

EmminoDaGreat
08-31-2008, 01:15 AM
You need to gap the plugs around .025 ish, you are running more boost than a factory car, w/ diff turbo... also the wire we hooked up was only to get a tach signal, and it has never hurt anyones car that I know of.

Ace
08-31-2008, 01:23 AM
Ok cool. thanks a lot man. Are you Rob? The guy who did the tune on my car? And the NGK plugs I got, when I took them out of the package were around .40. How would you recommend that I safely make that gap smaller? Thanks man.

EmminoDaGreat
08-31-2008, 01:26 AM
No, and to gap them just lightly tap them closed to get the ideal gap... and use a gapper that they sell at autozone or wherever...