PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Which of these 2 turbos???

D16Civic
08-30-2005, 09:08 PM
TD04 13G off a 1g eclipse or a Garrett T3 .42/.48

Ive been able to find both of these for a fairly good price completely rebuilt so i was just wondering which one yall thought would be better for my civic coupe (d16y8 motor)

I know the 13G will spool faster which would be nice since its my daily driver but im having a hard time finding whether or not it will fall on its face in the high rpm range. The T3 should pull all the way to redline but if the 13G can too and still spool up faster, i think i would like that better since, again, this is my daily driver.

MrEG62U
08-31-2005, 10:08 AM
go with the 13g if its a dailey driver the t3 might be to big if your car is stock what engine work do you have done?

D16Civic
08-31-2005, 11:40 AM
yea, i have stock internals and dont plan on building it.
Im pretty sure the t3 will hit full boost between 3500 and 4000 rpm which isnt too bad, but it will hold all the way till redline.
Just curious as to whether the small 13g will pull till redline at 7200 rpm, or at least close to redline and not run out of breath.

MrEG62U
08-31-2005, 02:22 PM
i would think the 13g would do the trick

flysi00
08-31-2005, 02:44 PM
yeah me to cuz u dont want to blow your motor up now i would go with the 13g

D16Civic
08-31-2005, 03:07 PM
thanks for the input
i appreciate it

sebastianHoff
08-31-2005, 11:09 PM
the dsm turbo. everyones got a t3/t4, be creative

brads94accord
08-31-2005, 11:13 PM
dont be a typical honda guy and put a giant turbo on your car that you don't need and will never take advantage of the output the turbo has to offer. i would go w/ a T25 of a 2g eclipse..i'm running one on my 2.2 L f22b2 and it spools really fast (full boost by 2500-3000 rpm) and has great low end torque (240 ft lbs at 3500 rpm) but of course you won't make near that amount of torque on a D16, and it will have more of a topend on your car than on mine. every honda guy i ask what turbo they went w/ they are like oh i got a 60 trim t3/t4 or something gigantic.

D16Civic
09-01-2005, 05:32 PM
trust me, i do not want a t3/t4, just seems stupid to me to have something that big.
I was thinking about a t25 as well, but ive heard they run out of steam up top even tho thats not that big of a deal for me cuz i like the low end torque id get out of it.
I was also looking at a tdo4l 13t turbo off of a wrx, which sounds like it would work really well, i just havnt seen as many of them done as the others.

wannab20hatch
09-01-2005, 06:20 PM
Id say either a t25 or a t28 ball bearing from a silvia. Definitely dont do a t3/t4 unless you have a built b series. My buddy has a fully built ls and he runs a 60/63 t3/t4 and that motor uses every bit of it.

D16Civic
09-01-2005, 08:49 PM
man, i would love to have one of the ball bearing turbos, but those things are pretty expensive

B18c1Turboed
09-02-2005, 08:03 AM
dont be a typical honda guy and put a giant turbo on your car that you don't need and will never take advantage of the output the turbo has to offer. i would go w/ a T25 of a 2g eclipse..i'm running one on my 2.2 L f22b2 and it spools really fast (full boost by 2500-3000 rpm) and has great low end torque (240 ft lbs at 3500 rpm) but of course you won't make near that amount of torque on a D16, and it will have more of a topend on your car than on mine. every honda guy i ask what turbo they went w/ they are like oh i got a 60 trim t3/t4 or something gigantic.

First of all maybe you should rephrase the TYPICAL HONGA GUY COMMENT!!!
What is a typical honda guy? One that can afford to build a fast car and builds a honda accord that mommy and daddy gave them. There are many D series out there runnit bigger turbos than a penis size T25 and runnig 325hp.It just depends on what our goals are. I run a t3/t67 on a gsr motor and yes it has some lag too it but its worth it to be able to dyno 526 on 21psi! instead of maxing a t25 and 20 psi and only make 200hp!! So from one typical honda guy to another do some research on www.honda-tech.com,instead of asking a moron with a show car, that probly put it on there too win points at a show!!!!

93H22ACX
09-02-2005, 08:05 AM
There isnt anything wrong with having a large turbo. You must consider some things if you want a big turbo...like what is your hp goal and what kind of power you want (topend, lowend, or midrange).

A typical Honda person would have something gigantic like a t3/t4 60trim? that isnt a big turbo. larger turbos are needed for higher hp...

But to answer your question anyone of those turbos will do. T3/T4 with .48a/r or that T3 will provide good topend. if you want lowend maybe you should consider a supercharger.
hope that helps

PS...you dont need a built b-series to take advantage of a T3/T4. All you need is a good tuner and a healthy motor.

RandomGuy
09-02-2005, 08:27 AM
i got a TD05 12A i may give you for 75 bux if you need it in like a month or so... has 8k miles on it now... will have 10k or so tops when im done... its still brand new looking

its a FAST spooling turbo, can efficiently hit 12-14 psi TOPS, but no more... if you aren't building your engine theres no point of going higher than that anyways.

Formally...
09-02-2005, 11:16 AM
You can go with the 13g and it will make good power all the way to redline. It may fall off a little but the quicker spoon with give you better drivability. Scttdb411 has a 13g on his d16 non-vtec and is making about 205whp. We are in the process of building a new motor for him and upgrading to a T3 since the 13g can only hold about 11psi at redline.

One advantage for the T3 is that it has a common flange so you have more options for upgrades later.

Also, remember he is talking about a small T3 (42/48), not a big ass T3/T4.

wannab20hatch
09-02-2005, 02:04 PM
Pm green91 on here and talk to him about his hatch. He's running a t25 and its pretty quick for what it is and what he has in it(money)

D16Civic
09-02-2005, 02:24 PM
I appreciate the replys
thanks for the help

Jon00
09-02-2005, 04:54 PM
i say go with a T88 it well do fine all the way to red line and have no TURBO lag and should be at full boost by 2,5-3k RMP

lol J/P

RandomGuy
09-03-2005, 11:09 PM
just be the first to get a custom twin setup lol... dual T76's, but obviously you'd have to fork over more cash to get the hyundai tiburon fuel management system and a rebuilt oil filter.

D16Civic
09-03-2005, 11:37 PM
^LOL

brads94accord
09-04-2005, 02:43 AM
First of all maybe you should rephrase the TYPICAL HONGA GUY COMMENT!!!
What is a typical honda guy? One that can afford to build a fast car and builds a honda accord that mommy and daddy gave them. There are many D series out there runnit bigger turbos than a penis size T25 and runnig 325hp.It just depends on what our goals are. I run a t3/t67 on a gsr motor and yes it has some lag too it but its worth it to be able to dyno 526 on 21psi! instead of maxing a t25 and 20 psi and only make 200hp!! So from one typical honda guy to another do some research on www.honda-tech.com,instead of asking a moron with a show car, that probly put it on there too win points at a show!!!!
ok well my mommy and daddy didn't give me my honda accord..and i am a member on honda tech and an avid poster on honda-tech in the accord forum one of the few boosted accords there. my username is the same on there as here. i have posting on honda-tech for quite a while...a T3/T4 is was too big of a turbo for a daily driven D16...i could understand that on a built d16 or a GSR motor or something like that...he would benefit way more from a T25 on that car than a t3/t4 i'm sure he doesn't want a dyno queen he just wants something fun to drive...do you wanna see pictures of my car...mine is way far from a show car, i don't have a body kit, i dont have one bit of rice on my car at all....http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1109750
there you go theres some pics...my car is slow as balls i will be the first to admit it, but im tired of seeing guys w/ stock honda civics putting gigantic turbos on their cars and only running 6-8psi of boost, that will never be able to benefit from the power it has to offer. i have seen your car dyno before 680hp..im impressed but why dont you do some searching before you tell me to search on honda-tech. im planning on upgrading the turbo on my car once i finish building another motor but for now the T25 is fine on my car daily driven w/ 155k miles, its fun to drive and pretty reliable despite the fact its a turbo honda. this guy was asking for a good turbo for a daily driver not trying to break any records. hondas will never be the fastest cars...no matter how fast you make it, it still front wheel drive and an economy car at heart..you always have to remember that.

Jon00
09-04-2005, 08:01 AM
ok well my mommy and daddy didn't give me my honda accord..and i am a member on honda tech and an avid poster on honda-tech in the accord forum one of the few boosted accords there. my username is the same on there as here. i have posting on honda-tech for quite a while...a T3/T4 is was too big of a turbo for a daily driven D16...i could understand that on a built d16 or a GSR motor or something like that...he would benefit way more from a T25 on that car than a t3/t4 i'm sure he doesn't want a dyno queen he just wants something fun to drive...do you wanna see pictures of my car...mine is way far from a show car, i don't have a body kit, i dont have one bit of rice on my car at all....http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1109750
there you go theres some pics...my car is slow as balls i will be the first to admit it, but im tired of seeing guys w/ stock honda civics putting gigantic turbos on their cars and only running 6-8psi of boost, that will never be able to benefit from the power it has to offer. i have seen your car dyno before 680hp..im impressed but why dont you do some searching before you tell me to search on honda-tech. im planning on upgrading the turbo on my car once i finish building another motor but for now the T25 is fine on my car daily driven w/ 155k miles, its fun to drive and pretty reliable despite the fact its a turbo honda. this guy was asking for a good turbo for a daily driver not trying to break any records. hondas will never be the fastest cars...no matter how fast you make it, it still front wheel drive and an economy car at heart..you always have to remember that.

not to dawg on u but who did your turbo setup cuz it looks like shit?
other then that clean car bro i have seen u around kennasaw

93H22ACX
09-04-2005, 09:18 AM

his car never made 680hp, lol. Honda's can be fast, fwd's can be fast look at lis kubo's FWD Saturn.... its a commuter turned drag car.

I know what you you're saying about guys running huge turbos and only pushing 8psi... its just a waste. But just because its stock doesnt mean it can not withstand alot of power.

If the origianl poster wants something "FUN" on the street, nothing is more fun than a 300whp civic. Not only that, if he wants real quick response and only what 8psi, then he might as well get a supercharger. One of my friends have a supercharged d16z and it was run, felt like a h22 hatch less the topend power. turbo is best if you get one with good topend, but if you want lowend, i say get a bigger motor or supercharge for off idle power.

scttydb411
09-04-2005, 10:38 AM
13g or smaller t3 is the way to go for what it sounds like you're looking for. street driven the 13g is a blast. i'm jumping up a little going w/ a smaller t3 for a little more top end, but still a lot of midrange. it depends on your goals. if you want a fun car street driven then go w/ the smaller turbo that flattens out and has no need to shift past 6k. if you want a redline screamer then go w/ a t3/t4.

recommendations for your posted goals:
13g
t3 42/48
t3 48/60

ct9a gsr
09-04-2005, 11:51 AM
Buy my td05-16g... spools real quick and good for an efficient 24psi. =]

D16Civic
09-04-2005, 12:56 PM
know what you you're saying about guys running huge turbos and only pushing 8psi... its just a waste. But just because its stock doesnt mean it can not withstand alot of power.
If the origianl poster wants something "FUN" on the street, nothing is more fun than a 300whp civic. Not only that, if he wants real quick response and only what 8psi, then he might as well get a supercharger. One of my friends have a supercharged d16z and it was run, felt like a h22 hatch less the topend power. turbo is best if you get one with good topend, but if you want lowend, i say get a bigger motor or supercharge for off idle power.
well, a stock d16 isnt goin to handle alot over 200whp let alone 300.
I have looked at the superchargers too, but u cant get the same amount of power out of them as a turbo which I think you already know. A turbo w/ good lowend will have more power than a supercharger, even if it fall off some up top. You can still make 200whp out of one of the smaller turbos such as the wrx one and definitly the smaller t3 which is more than enough. If i were to build my motor to handle 250 or 300 whp i would definitly want a bigger turbo but building my motor just isnt worth it to me.

I think im leaning more towards the 13g (might be 13T, ive seen it named both ways) cuz i dont really need something w/ a screaming top end or anything, but the low spool time sounds like a blast for my everyday commuting. Thanks for the help guys.

brads94accord
09-05-2005, 03:08 PM
not to dawg on u but who did your turbo setup cuz it looks like shit?
other then that clean car bro i have seen u around kennasaw

turbo dave did my turbo setup back in december, it looks a little bit different now, i cleaned up some stuff he skimped on and so forth. thanks for the compliment tho

green91
09-05-2005, 03:15 PM
i think youll be dissappointed with the 13g.. its even smaller than my puny t25 and the t25 falls flat on its face at 5500+rpm. id really recommend a smaller t3 setup or a DSM 14b.

brads94accord
09-06-2005, 10:42 AM
the T25 will do ok on a D16 or maybe a 14b. thats if you wanna stick w/ a mitsu turbo.

D16Civic
09-06-2005, 12:29 PM
these turbos get kind of confusing when people are talking about the 13g cuz it came in the 1st gen eclipses (td04h 13g) but a lot of people call the wrx turbo a 13g as well, when i actually think its a td04L 13t. I was refering to the wrx turbo. Ive seen the dyno of scttydb411 making over 200 whp at 11-12 psi i think on his non-vtec and it seems to hold it pretty well too. Besides, i dont go above 6k that often so even if it falls off some up top, i dont think it will bother me all that much. Then again, it does sound pretty fun to have something pulling strong all the way to redline such as the T3, so i think it will kind of come down to whichever i find a good deal on first. Ill be happy either way, considering im only making 103whp now, both will feel awesome.

RandomGuy
09-06-2005, 01:32 PM
14b talon = cheap quick way to do it... or get dual T70's

iNsTuN nOoDoH
09-06-2005, 02:31 PM
My d16 is daily driven and daily ragged on. I run a t3 .60 compressor side and ar .48 with 10-11 psi. I'm pushin 234 whp and 179 tq with my clutch slipping. Nothing is going out except my stock clutch. I prefer the late spool just cuz I prefer hwy runs. I'm in the low 14s with all the weight on my car...if ya know my car, I have a lot of weight. I guess it's all on your preference, but I say t3.

XBLG20
09-06-2005, 06:28 PM
BB T28

Jon00
09-06-2005, 07:25 PM
14b talon = cheap quick way to do it... or get dual T70's

naw man they got to be T88'S man t70s are way to small lol :goodjob: ;)

scttydb411
09-06-2005, 10:05 PM
these turbos get kind of confusing when people are talking about the 13g cuz it came in the 1st gen eclipses (td04h 13g) but a lot of people call the wrx turbo a 13g as well, when i actually think its a td04L 13t. I was refering to the wrx turbo. Ive seen the dyno of scttydb411 making over 200 whp at 11-12 psi i think on his non-vtec and it seems to hold it pretty well too. Besides, i dont go above 6k that often so even if it falls off some up top, i dont think it will bother me all that much. Then again, it does sound pretty fun to have something pulling strong all the way to redline such as the T3, so i think it will kind of come down to whichever i find a good deal on first. Ill be happy either way, considering im only making 103whp now, both will feel awesome.

i think you're right...i always mistakenly call my td04L a 13g when it's a 13t.

MitsuMan
09-09-2005, 01:08 PM
speaking of the G series, anyone want to buy my Super 20G, im upgrading soon, only about 7k miles on it from rebuild, 400 firm. has to go.