PDA

View Full Version : Sharing teh LULZ

Catnip
08-27-2008, 11:25 PM
Power doesn't mean anything, torque doesn't mean anything, and weight doesn't matter when it comes to top speed...it only effects how fast it gets there.

The rear end is extremely low, what are the gear ratios?

That was in reference to my Datsun's top speed.

:lmfao:

sirkus
08-27-2008, 11:26 PM
lol he was meaning regardless of how much power you have.. it won't really make a difference on the top speed. Gearing is what makes the big difference.

Catnip
08-27-2008, 11:30 PM
lol he was meaning regardless of how much power you have.. it won't really make a difference on the top speed. Gearing is what makes the big difference.

Sorry, but my dad's camaro with 1200whp and a 2.73 rear gear would have a higher top speed than my camaro with lets say 300whp and a 2.73 rear gear. My car wouldn't be able to push it, my dads car would be able to.

sirkus
08-27-2008, 11:36 PM
His motor will reach higher speeds... yours won't. Both cars still have the potential to reach the same speeds as long as the gearing's match.

1200hp? He run cam2?

Catnip
08-27-2008, 11:39 PM
His motor will reach higher speeds... yours won't. Both cars still have the potential to reach the same speeds as long as the gearing's match.

1200hp? He run cam2?

My car would NEVER be able to reach the same speeds unless we moved the gearing to like 4.56's. My 300hp would NOT be able to push the car through the wind, on a dyno, yes, same speed... not in the real world.

he runs 116 octane and a light spray, oh, 1200whp was a guesstimate, he's running mid 8's. Stock suspension 79 camaro, street legal, unless he has the slicks on it.

Thighs
08-27-2008, 11:39 PM
Sorry, but my dad's camaro with 1200whp and a 2.73 rear gear would have a higher top speed than my camaro with lets say 300whp and a 2.73 rear gear. My car wouldn't be able to push it, my dads car would be able to.

this depends on how you test it. if you have the EXACT same gearing (1st-5th, FD, and rear gear), and drag is NOT a part of the equation, then both cars will top out at the exact same MPH. this would apply to say, a car on a dyno.

once you factor in drag, hp/tq matter. i.e salt flats, LONG ass straight away, etc.

Thighs
08-27-2008, 11:40 PM
My car would NEVER be able to reach the same speeds unless we moved the gearing to like 4.56's. My 300hp would NOT be able to push the car through the wind, on a dyno, yes, same speed... not in the real world.

he runs 116 octane and a light spray, oh, 1200whp was a guesstimate, he's running mid 8's.

if you made your gearing that tall, you would top out ALOT sooner.

Catnip
08-27-2008, 11:41 PM
this depends on how you test it. if you have the EXACT same gearing (1st-5th, FD, and rear gear), and drag is NOT a part of the equation, then both cars will top out at the exact same MPH. this would apply to say, a car on a dyno.

once you factor in drag, hp/tq matter. i.e salt flats, LONG ass straight away, etc.

I was talking top speed, speed as in how fast the car would be moving, not the wheels. I agree, dyno top speed would be the same, but not actual driving.

sirkus
08-27-2008, 11:48 PM
Yeah.. in real life driving would have a lot of factors that change things. Wind drag, weight, car's balance and **** like that would change a lot of things.

Catnip
08-27-2008, 11:52 PM
Yeah.. in real life driving would have a lot of factors that change things. Wind drag, weight, car's balance and **** like that would change a lot of things.

Exactly. the faster the more drag, the more drag, the more power needed.

SiRed94
08-28-2008, 01:02 AM
373 and 256 are probably the gears you meant to be thinking of....

SiRed94
08-28-2008, 01:06 AM
Redline and Gearing will determine top speed....

Catnip
08-28-2008, 01:30 AM
I said 2.73 b/c I had those stock in my 5.0 mustang and I said 4.56's because that's what my dad had in his 67 chevelle. Just some gears I know how they feel.

Redline and gearing determine top speed on a dyno... unless you're just talking about SOME of the few determining factors of top speed.

xLSTONEx
08-28-2008, 03:08 AM
Either way, none of this made me LOL at all.......

And the fact that you thought making your gearing bigger, i.e. going from a 2.73 to a 4.56, would make you have a higher top speed is the only thing making me lol.

Fail

Catnip
08-28-2008, 03:13 AM

And the fact that you thought making your gearing bigger, i.e. going from a 2.73 to a 4.56, would make you have a higher top speed is the only thing making me lol.

Fail

Pretty sure I said going from a 2.73 to a 4.56 would make my top speed lower, which would cause less drag, meaning the top speeds between the two cars with different hp/tq would be closer. Read, then tell me I fail... because YOU just failed.

nemean
08-28-2008, 03:21 AM
wow... evan how do you even post back from these retards...
gearing is all that matters... hhahahaha it helps but top end is pure horsepower...
YES the gearing can help but there are 4-5 other things... u can have amazing gearing and the front end of a building and not go anywhere. or you can look like a enzo and do 200 mph. aero and horsepower are all that really matter at topspeed. more things are involved but you arent getting anywhere quick without horsepower and aero.

nsany(atl)
08-28-2008, 05:45 AM

he runs 116 octane and a light spray, oh, 1200whp was a guesstimate, he's running mid 8's. Stock suspension 79 camaro, street legal, unless he has the slicks on it.

do you have a video of a run..

FlipKing
08-28-2008, 10:24 AM
I'll vouch for the camaro, thing is a beast. Sorry guys, I drove a 1.6 miata and the thing topped out at 116. Not b-c it redlined, but b-c IT RAN OUT OF POWER. Therefore, while gearing and redline has an affect, power is also a very big part of top speed.

Motivation
08-28-2008, 10:31 AM

Fail

So, NONE of it made you lol... but part of it made you lol? :thinking:

FlipKing
08-28-2008, 11:34 AM
OOO, nice burn Motivation,lol. <---- Notice my lol