PDA

View Full Version : How to get more power out of a LS motor

blacknightteg
08-27-2008, 08:11 AM
Ok, so after putting the new wheels on my car, it kinda lit a fire up under my ass again to start doing mor stuff to my car. Which i am going to do, slowly but surely that is. Anyways, what am wanting to know, is how can i get more power out of an ls motor without going to the boosted side of things. I already have an intake an exhaust. A header will be my next step. Im thinkin of going with a greddy header. But wha else? i really dont want to pay an arm and a leg for more power like having to have someone take the whole engine apart and ****. i know that is what most of your responises will be. but im just lookin around power that i might get out of a gsr or something.

I had been told to go like either a LSvtec or a b20vtec. but im sure that would involve my car being down for a while and that would be hard to do.

anyways, i need opinions! help a brother out!

redpanda
08-27-2008, 08:45 AM
internals

Sammich
08-27-2008, 08:47 AM
NOT ANOTHER ONE OF THESE THREADS...DAMN..DIDNT U MAKE ENOUGH OF THESE THREADS

blacknightteg
08-27-2008, 08:47 AM
thats way to damn broad. like what what? and remember im tryin to avoid having to take the motor out as long as possible.

Sammich
08-27-2008, 08:58 AM
SRSLY DIDNT U HAVE A THREAD JUST LIKE THIS EITHER ON CI.NET OR ON HERE?

blacknightteg
08-27-2008, 09:10 AM
lol notice im not paying attention to one word your saying. cuz i expected this from you numbnuts.

Sammich
08-27-2008, 09:11 AM
lol notice im not paying attention to one word your saying. cuz i expected this from you numbnuts.

U ARE NOW...

CHECK YOUR OLD THREADS MAN 3PEAT THREADS ARE REDICULOUS(SP?)

Vteckidd
08-27-2008, 09:44 AM
What is your budget and be realistic.

9ussy
08-27-2008, 10:07 AM
can't really make power without upgrading internals... boltons like IM, header, intake, exhaust is all you can do if u really dont want to take it apart... buy name brand stuff!

mocha latte cupcake
08-27-2008, 10:09 AM
seriously D suck it up! lose the frickin car for a few days and get you a REAL engine in there, then you don't have to worry about "having it down" again. just do it once and suck it up. don't waste money on things you could do later on like a header, IM, pulleys, :blah: :blah: :blah: when you can just do a GSR swap or something and be faster than a full bolted (non-built) LS/vtec.

Pikachu
08-27-2008, 10:27 AM
if u want gsr power, just get a simple wet nitrous kit, spray like a 35 shot or sumthin, u can find a used one for like $200-$300, and your car doesn't have to be down

RL...
08-27-2008, 10:30 AM
Get some mopar stickers and thrown them all over you car...good for 20whp.

And a big wing, the bigger the better! :goodjob:

1moreaccord
08-27-2008, 10:34 AM
lots of lightweight parts can make little differences.. but they add up quick.. real quick..

Elbow
08-27-2008, 10:38 AM
LS VTEC with ITB's, cams, flywheel, clutch, etc.

blacknightteg
08-27-2008, 12:27 PM
if i were to actually swa something into it it might take a while cuz i would need to save up money, im not goin to take out a loan or anything.

DC2NR
08-27-2008, 12:36 PM
if i were to actually swa something into it it might take a while cuz i would need to save up money, im not goin to take out a loan or anything.

I'd rather save that money up and buy a gsr swap than to buy parts for the ls. I mean you can put $2000 worth into that ls and It may be somewhat stronger than a gsr, but thats all you can do to an ls. Where as the gsr would be just as fast or maybe faster than that built ls, yet have more potential to be even faster.

Or you could just have someone who knows what they're doing slap on a Vtec head and call it a day.

Just my :2cents: .

Atlblkz06
08-27-2008, 12:48 PM
You're WASTING your money with these bull**** "upgrades" that dont do squat for your car.

Go all out or do nothing - thats the only way.

Things to remember about N/A engines: Its all about getting as much air in and out as possible. Try to upgrade everything in the air's path - you're only as strong as the weakest link.

N/As take a lot of money to upgrade and you wont get as much power - but you get awesome throttle response, great torque and a well behaved engine.

Vteckidd
08-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Transmission, is the best upgrade to an LS motor.

Get a B16 tranny and itll be ALOT more fun with the shorter gearing and you can always sell your LS trans to recoup some money.

Bolt ons on a LS motor kinda suck, they dont make much for power. You can but a Hytech header from me an prob pick up 10 whp tops. For $285 that aint bad.

Other than that, sell the car an buy a GSR

/thread

ranger250x
08-27-2008, 01:09 PM
lighten up the rotating assembly and mabey some aftermarket cams might help a little bit. some very good points have already been made(atlblkz06, simmontibbet :goodjob: )

Vteckidd
08-27-2008, 01:12 PM
LOL@YOU GUYS

he cant affrod a swap what makes you think he can do rods and **** lol

blacknightteg
08-27-2008, 01:13 PM
mr.kidd im in no way selling this car, if i sell this car im not gettin another teg id be getting something else cuz i love this one too much. i see what yall are all saying. i have a feeling my most logical idea would be gettin an gsr engine or something the like. Im not looking for any CRAZY power. i dont really even want more then a lil over 200.

blacknightteg
08-27-2008, 01:17 PM
i never said i couldnt afford a swap, i just said if i was goin to do that it would take a while before i could do one. Im in no way shape or form selling my car and getting another teg. if i sell this teg, im not getting another one. i see all of yalls points, im not really wanting to get crazy power out of this car. this is my normal daily driver, not something i wana have so many problems with. im only looking for around 200 maybe a lil over. nothing so crazy.

Sammich
08-27-2008, 01:18 PM
LOL@YOU GUYS

he cant affrod a swap what makes you think he can do rods and **** lol

:stupid:

blacknightteg
08-27-2008, 01:18 PM
:stupid:

keep your mouth shut.

Sammich
08-27-2008, 01:19 PM
u say the same thing in every thread u make like this...next time u get an itch to make a thread like this look at this and other threads uve made jeez

blacknightteg
08-27-2008, 01:20 PM
lol awe but i love fukin with you lol. i know it annoys you so i do it! lol.

teh_mugen18
08-27-2008, 01:28 PM
Uhm, from reading all of yalls other posts, to the OP im thinking that, even though you may not want to do this, but probably even to get ~200whp out of a non-vtec ls you should probably boost it....Just, 6 - 8psi will probably get you to that goal and you wont even have to rip the motor out or build anything, depending on your engine's internal health/compression. either that or a vtec head and some unknown shot of nitrous would probably get you there too.

Dirty Octopus™
08-27-2008, 02:08 PM
if you want anywhere near 200whp you're gonna have to spend money. on cams, pistons, or something.

i say drop the car and leave it be :D

Krappy
08-27-2008, 02:43 PM
GIVE UP ITS A HONDA YOU'LL NEVER MAKE ANY POWER UNLESS YOU WANNA START BREAKING STUFF!!!

"

Slomaro Z28
08-27-2008, 06:23 PM
if u want gsr power, just get a simple wet nitrous kit, spray like a 35 shot or sumthin, u can find a used one for like $200-$300, and your car doesn't have to be down

A 35 shot.....hell just start using 93 octane...

turbob20
08-28-2008, 12:43 AM
ah ha you could pull the head and do a vtec conversion with a gsr head, and while you got the head off pull the oil pan and pistons and rods and buy some gsr,b16 or type r pistons and have them pressed on for like 35$ and do a light hone and put all back together and have a high compression ls vtec with out pulling the motor. of course thats the shade tree way, me id have to have it all balanced and honed properly but hey it can be done in the car though,lol. oh yeah spray a 50hp shot and retard the timing about 1-1&1/2 degrees because of the high compression you will be running and youll see about 215-220 at the touch of the button with all bolt ons.lol. i feel like ive answered this a lot. de ja vu ne one?

VickNotic
08-28-2008, 01:25 PM
I'd rather save that money up and buy a gsr swap than to buy parts for the ls. I mean you can put $2000 worth into that ls and It may be somewhat stronger than a gsr, but thats all you can do to an ls. Where as the gsr would be just as fast or maybe faster than that built ls, yet have more potential to be even faster.

Or you could just have someone who knows what they're doing slap on a Vtec head and call it a day.

Just my :2cents: .

+1

scttydb411
08-31-2008, 11:10 AM
hp/$ turbo is the best way on stock internals w/o pulling the motor and can be done in a long weekend from start to finish for most people.

nitrous is the cheapest initially hp/$, but you need to take into account that it's not always there on demand and refills over time amount up.

for 200ish whp go moderately sized turbo, tuned and ride out. it sounds more like you want a street car anyway and not a highway killer or strip car, so you can acheive what you're looking to do w/o taking out loans, etc.