PDA

View Full Version : Oh em F GEE!!! possibly hydrolocked my 06 Si?

Civicn33b
08-26-2008, 08:24 AM
Well I was driving to work this morning through the torrentual downpour and all of the sudden the car starts getting a little bucky!. Rpms are fluctuating a bit then back to normal. It feels as though the "buckyness" or fluctuating loss of power is only felt over 2500 rpms. The car never stalled out or died (but does this "bucking" repeatedly throughout my 3 mile trip back home), but i turned my happy ass around parked it in the driveway and grabbed my fiancee's car to go to work.

While in the driveway I tried to hold a constant rpm of 2k. It kept coming down and would not stay constant. It dropped by incriments of 2-300 and then id let off. Couldnt tell if it was making any sort of knocking noise at all bc the rain was too effing loud. it was not smoking from what i could tell and there was no funny smell.

No CEL was thrown that i know of... I forgot wo mention that since we removed the turbo from the ol' girl all i have on there now is an AEM CAI. The thing has been running great until this morning in the ****ing rain! the plastic undercarriage underneath the CAI fell off a couple days ago and my replacement one isnt here, so that probably didnt help proctect the filter at all.

ANy insight guys? does it sound like early symptoms of hydrolock? Is it possible that the filer or maf just got very wet and caused this feeling of bucking?

Thanks in advance,
Josh

Captain-Obvious™
08-26-2008, 11:02 AM
when you hydrolock an engine it means that so much water got into the cylinder that the pistons came up and hit a rock solid wall of water and when that happens the weakest link breaks...rods...crank...etc. when my buddy locked up his civic it immediately shut off...after a loud bang of course. and never cranked again. plus he had a sh.it ton of water in the cylinders...take your spark plugs out and shine a flashlight and look for water...

Civicn33b
08-26-2008, 01:35 PM
I realize the comcept of said hydrolock, but if i had some knocking or something now ofcourse I think i could directly attribute it to the water. When i get home I plan on yanking out the spark plug turning the crank by hand to see if i can feel any resistance, running a compression test, and trying to fire it up just with the starter motor and see if it will turn over and if water comes out then.

Like i said mine ran all the way home so it could be as simple as the filter got wet, but i dont understand why this would have caused the car to act like it did.

Thanks,
Josh

BTEC
08-26-2008, 01:40 PM
mass air got wet more than likely. let off the gas b4 hitting puddles.

carbon_crash
08-26-2008, 01:45 PM
Might want to buy a by-pass for the CAI too

SixSquared
08-26-2008, 01:51 PM
mass air got wet more than likely. let off the gas b4 hitting puddles.

This man speaks the truth. As someone who has hydrolocked an engine before, you know when it does. blew a hole in the bottom of my b16, and the rod and piston came out in pieces. If you were genuinely hydrolocked, you would have blown hardcore (no homo). You're probably just moist lol. But moist can do damage, so check your MAF and plugs asap

Elbow
08-26-2008, 02:38 PM
How do so many people hydrolock their engines? Not saying it's any of your fault really but jeeeeeeez. I have ran wide open tubes straight to my TB no filter and never an issue lol.

Slomaro Z28
08-26-2008, 02:48 PM
If it doesnt stop put your OEM intake on and use the warranty. ( If you still have one )

Vteckidd
08-26-2008, 03:11 PM
what you need to do is pull the spark plugs out ASAP and turn it over in case there is water in it.

Atlblkz06
08-26-2008, 07:36 PM
Guys.. WTF. The guy DROVE home and you still think there is water in there?

"The car never stalled out or died (but does this "bucking" repeatedly throughout my 3 mile trip back home), but i turned my happy ass around parked it in the driveway and grabbed my fiancee's car to go to work."

X-Runner
08-26-2008, 07:46 PM
MAF got wet, nothing more. Id put money on that.

Civicn33b
08-26-2008, 09:45 PM
awesome you guys are the bomb diggity... when i got home i started it again and its still idling funny, but then again the filter is still a little moist lol... I will pull the plugs tomorrow just to check for water in the cylinders in case, if not do i have to replace the maf or is there a way to just dry or clean it...

Lucky me =) thanks again for all of your help

Atlblkz06
08-26-2008, 11:39 PM
First off, clean your air filter - if its wet, thats part of the problem.

Use some carb cleaner to clean the MAF sensor. Be very careful with it - don't jerk it or drop it or you'll have to drop $100-150 on a new sensor!

Dont poke at it with anything (maybe q-tips but I wouldnt risk even that).

If your car idles, you obviously have no water in your cylinders, dont bother.

Take off your air filter and revv it up a few times. If its ok, then your AF is probably the culprit. If not, go to the MAF.

JayL
08-27-2008, 12:11 AM
ha, all of this reminds me of a couple years ago when i had a cai on my integra and i ran through a puddle and my engine stopped running, then i pulled the intake off and water came pouring out, then i pulled the plugs and there was a bunch of water in 2 of the cyl. i left the plugs out, turned it over for a few seconds, and it was fine.. i was very fortunate that i didnt hydrolock my engine.. that would have sucked.

X-Runner
08-27-2008, 12:26 AM
I cant drive the truck in the rain for the same reason, scoop pours water in the intake lol

1moreaccord
08-27-2008, 09:01 AM
can't drive in the rain! lol? dude that sux.. your car would be VERY fun in the rain.. XD

RL...
08-27-2008, 10:35 AM
^^^nice accord in sig

turbob20
08-28-2008, 12:23 AM
as kidd said take out all 4 plugs and turn motor over a few times or blow out with an air compressor and a straw. also not every engine slings a rod... i got a free b20 bcause it hydroed but the rod just bent slightly and kept tapping the sides of the bottom of the bore. we didnt know 4 sure till we took of the head and the #1 liked a 1/4 of an inch comming to the top.

X-Runner
08-28-2008, 12:30 AM
Why pull the plugs? Its running... there isnt any water in the cylinders.

turbob20
08-28-2008, 01:00 AM
because during the compression stroke if water was present it could have just waterlogged the plug on that cylinder and you cant tell wich if you dont pull em all and also will rule out a bent rod by compression testing. you can hydrolock a motor with out killing the engine and with out breaking a rod. depends on rpm at the time. thats how i got my b20, a guy bent a rod,after pulling head the piston liked 1/4 inch from coming top dead center.

speedminded
08-28-2008, 01:03 AM
Why pull the plugs? Its running... there isnt any water in the cylinders.It will still run with water sitting above the piston. Water won't prevent the fuel from being ignited pushing the piston back down. The question is, does it have more water than volume of space above the piston when it's all the way up...that's what causes a bend rod.

It will even still run fine with a bent rod, a compression test may even come out just fine too...then one day out of the blue a rod breaks. You tear it down and you see the oil stains in the cracks on the rod proving it had been bent for a longgg time. Trust me I know, lol!

Thighs
08-28-2008, 01:13 AM
if there WAS water in the cylinders, it would be looooong gone by now. if the car still runs now, the water was most likely not enough to lock it and got blown out the exhaust. check the MAF, ill put money on that being the culprit. dont even worry about the compression bs, you have to suck in ALOT of water to hydrolock.

and i know this all from experience. lol

X-Runner
08-28-2008, 01:15 AM
if there WAS water in the cylinders, it would be looooong gone by now. if the car still runs now, the water was most likely not enough to lock it and got blown out the exhaust. check the MAF, ill put money on that being the culprit. dont even worry about the compression bs, you have to suck in ALOT of water to hydrolock.

and i know this all from experience. lol

Thats my thinking on water in the cylinders, if its running I dont see the water staying in there long. It would either get blown out or dry up from the heat IMO. But what do I know? :dunno:

Thighs
08-28-2008, 01:23 AM
Thats my thinking on water in the cylinders, if its running I dont see the water staying in there long. It would either get blown out or dry up from the heat IMO. But what do I know? :dunno:

people just freak out because of the word "hydrolocked" lol. it sounds alot worse than it is, but unless your full throttle and the filter is underwater, youre not gonna suck in enought to hydrolock. i had my old ford aspire in water high enough to flood the floorboard through the shifter hole, and it sucked some in. it just ran on 2-3 cylinders halfway home until it sucked all the water out of the intake tract that it could and it all blew out the back. the end. :D

turbob20
08-28-2008, 02:15 AM
well i spoke from 14 years experiance bro and im technical as hell, i know, but im just trin to help the guy out.the damage reports are it still runs funny. so 1. its a water soaked plug and ur right it went out the tail pipe 2. it could have bent a rod and still run. 3. maf sensor is wiggin out from the water. so we all trin to do this guy justice so please dont mind me, im only dead on 98.9 % of the time.:blah: :blah: :blah:

rickgiblin
08-28-2008, 05:25 PM
hey, i know the solushion... (sorry for the sp) but the car is a newer si... BRING IT INTO THE DEALERSHIP... its still under warranty, explain the problem and hope its covered which it should, aslong as your still in the b2b warranty

AnthonyF
08-31-2008, 08:02 PM
Def take the car to the dealership. You prob got water in your ECU or electronics. My mustangs BCU didn't seal correctly and it would mess up when it rained.

-Ant.