PDA

View Full Version : Business Majors (Comments, Ideas)

Blitanicle99
08-24-2008, 01:08 PM
So currently I am in school for construction management. I am in my sophmore year and obviously still in my core classes.

After thinking about this for quite a few months, I am changing majors to Business. I have thought quite a bit about this, I have many reasons. Some of my concerns where that I feel that where I am going I will be stuck in GA doing the same thing Ive been doing since I was 17 (construction, building houses, roofing) for the rest of my life with just a pay increase.

I have met so many guys in my field currently and most of them don't have degrees, just mad experiance. So all this school makes me feel like I wont be getting very far even with a degree.

So, my decision to move to Business. And honestly I don't know if this is the best idea, but go into international business. My reasons being is for one I am working on my third langauge right now, spanish. My first was German, second english and third Spanish. I figure a degree in international business and speak 3 langauges, Itll be pretty easy to find something that makes me money.

I had quite a few questions however for anyone knowledgable.

1. Good business schools in GA? ( I would like my degree to come from somewhere repuatable) I was thinking finishing at GA State in their business program.
2. Am a assuming correctly that International business is what it sounds like? Business with other countries, thus lots of travel, moving and so on?
3. (isnt really a question) But anyone that knows anyone or is in the field just curious to how they/you like the field.

Thanks

Reps for help or something

osnap
08-24-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm gonna be watching this thread cause i have similar questions regarding int'l business. I'm not sure where you're at now, but I'd encourage talking to some advisors on campus.

As for schools in Georgia, you have some good choices. GT, UGA, GSU, and KSU all have pretty reputable undergraduate schools. Im in the Coles School at KSU for undergrad, but when it comes time to get my MBA I'm considering looking into Terry College @ UGA, which is pretty consistently ranked in the Top 50 MBA programs.

NewGen33
08-24-2008, 03:28 PM
I'm just starting on my business degree at OSU as well. Theres a lot you can do with it and I like the variety of oppertunities you can have with a business degree. GL man.

Blitanicle99
08-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Currently at GA Highlands at southern poly for my core class BS. I just transferred here from GA Southern.

I would like to just finish my cores here and transfer somewhere. Probably state now that Ive found the area and liked it quite a bit.

ironchef
08-24-2008, 03:48 PM
You won't be disappointed with State's business school either :). 24th on the list of best public business schools. 52nd overall.

JITB
08-24-2008, 03:54 PM
im changing my major also.. and was thinkin about business.. it seems like a degree with a wide range of opportunity!

SampaGuy
08-24-2008, 04:56 PM
I'm at Georgia State and I'm doing managerial sciences as well as their 5-year language and international business program. You get a Bachelors in French, Spanish, or German and also a masters in international business (non-mba) by taking only one extra year. There is no undergraduate degree for international business at GSU (I think they do have one at Kennesaw or Georgia Southern though). I might be dropping the managerial sciences major after all but I haven't decided yet (it feels like it would be kinda pointless for me).

Anyways you definitely need to know a foreign language if your going for international business. And I don't meant the 4 years of high school spanish/french crap, you really have to be fluent or it won't do you any good. I could translate this post that I just wrote into Portuguese in 2 seconds without any problems (obviously; its my first language). German would definitely take me a little longer, but Im getting there. Other thing that is important for international business is international experience in general, like knowing another country's actual culture, how their government works, their business practices etc...

Blitanicle99
08-24-2008, 05:24 PM
The langauge thing is a big issue to me. I mean, German was my first langauge. I don't speak it much more but anytime I work with someone on it, its very easy to me.

English obviously lol

And **** I run roofing crews of mexicans, so my spanish is alright.

If I can get my German better and my International business degree I think Ill be doing quite well. I figured I would try for spanish too just in case.

yogi08
08-24-2008, 05:27 PM
do french duude! hahaha i bet your funny soundin with you r accent and speaking foreign ****

ironchef
08-24-2008, 05:37 PM
IMO, learning another language is great, but I think it if you do go down that route it should be a language that will be a big focus in the international business arena. Something like Chinese (obvious reasons) or Japanese (one of the biggest world economies). Or even Hindi, as India's economy is also growing by leaps and bounds. Russian and Portugeuese is good too!

Knowing the languages of the BRIC countries would be a very useful asset in an international business career.

BRIC = Brazil, Russia, India, and China.

AirMax95
08-25-2008, 08:26 AM
So currently I am in school for construction management. I am in my sophmore year and obviously still in my core classes.

After thinking about this for quite a few months, I am changing majors to Business. I have thought quite a bit about this, I have many reasons. Some of my concerns where that I feel that where I am going I will be stuck in GA doing the same thing Ive been doing since I was 17 (construction, building houses, roofing) for the rest of my life with just a pay increase.

I have met so many guys in my field currently and most of them don't have degrees, just mad experiance. So all this school makes me feel like I wont be getting very far even with a degree.

So, my decision to move to Business. And honestly I don't know if this is the best idea, but go into international business. My reasons being is for one I am working on my third langauge right now, spanish. My first was German, second english and third Spanish. I figure a degree in international business and speak 3 langauges, Itll be pretty easy to find something that makes me money.

I had quite a few questions however for anyone knowledgable.

1. Good business schools in GA? ( I would like my degree to come from somewhere repuatable) I was thinking finishing at GA State in their business program.
2. Am a assuming correctly that International business is what it sounds like? Business with other countries, thus lots of travel, moving and so on?
3. (isnt really a question) But anyone that knows anyone or is in the field just curious to how they/you like the field.

Thanks

Reps for help or something

Stay at GA State, Jack Robinson is ALWAYS ranked.

Whatever degree/focus you chose, study abroad if you can! That is the greatest experience you can get while in college. Come back to the states and do an internship. Finish school and enjoy!