PDA

View Full Version : Service Engine Soon & EMMISSIONS tests

neverenough
08-22-2008, 05:01 PM
I know that the simple fact that my service engine light is on will automatically fail my car for the test....BUT:

The reason the light is on is because my MAS (Mass Airflow Sensor) is sending a bad signal. There is nothing wrong with it, it operates perfectly but it just sends a bad signal.

The cause if this problem is that I ran my car through a puddle that was deeper than I thought and water got sucked into the engine through my CAI. The MAS was therefore tripped. Ever since, the light has been on. Then engine, CAI, everyhting else has been replaced, but I cannot find a MAS cheap enough to warrant me buying it considering that mine works just fine.

I have recently moved to GA and my VA plates are now expired. I went to get my new GA plates, but needing an Emmissions test, I was unable to get them.
Does anyone have any tips?

I would really prefer to not have to get a new MAS considering the one I have works perfectly and the cheapest I can find one is $150.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

DecoyOctopus
08-22-2008, 05:13 PM
what kind of car is it i might be able to get my hads on a maf sensah

neverenough
08-22-2008, 07:55 PM
it's a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS (2.4L 4CYL.)

I think the MAS is the same for both the 4 and 6 cyl cars.

Atlblkz06
08-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Go to autozone and get your CEL reset for free.

If it comes back, you have a problem. If not you're good to go!

greenthumbJo
08-25-2008, 09:54 AM
Nah the MAS code will come back on too fast for the sensors to go through the readiness cycle. you're stuck bro....maybe you could use somebody's MAS just to get through the test or something but you'd have to hook it up, disconnect the battery or reset the MIL, and take it through the readiness cycle before you can pass. Good luck.

Atlblkz06
08-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Well I figured - clear the DTC, drive it around and they should switch to ready? Not sure though.

Here is some more info:

Readiness Monitor Status is NOT the same as Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's). Readiness represents whether or not the emissions control system in question has been evaluated. This evaluation tests for system functionality and, if a problem is detected, a DTC will be stored in the on-board computer.

What does "Ready" vs "Not Ready" status mean?
# Ready - The OBDII system has checked this emissions control system.

# Not Ready - The OBDII system has NOT checked this emissions control system.

# N/A or N/S - The OBDII system is not required to check this emissions control system.

Where is Readiness Monitor Status on the Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR)?
# The Emissions Test Results section of the VIR shows the status of each readiness monitor.

# REMEMBER: The vehicle will fail the OBDII inspection if more than two (2) monitors are "Not Ready".
Changing the Monitors(s) to "Ready"
# In order to get the OBDII system to set the monitors to "Ready", the vehicle needs to be drivin through a drive cycle/drive trace.

# If you don't have access to drive cycles/drive traces, they should be available from a qualified service technician or dealership.

# With a generic OBDII scan tool, verify the monitors are "Ready" before returning the vehicle to the customer.

If the vehicle has DTC's stored, and the MIL is commanded on:
# The vehicle will need repairs to correct the malfunction before it will pass the OBDII inspection.

# If you've cleared the DTC's (using a scan tool or disconnecting the battery), monitors will reset to "Not Ready".

# Driving the vehicle through the drive cycle/drive trace wil set the monitors back to "Ready" and verify that the repairs were effective.

# With a generic OBDII scan tool, verify the monitors are "Ready" before returning the vehicle to the customer.

Init2winit
08-25-2008, 12:17 PM
Well I figured - clear the DTC, drive it around and they should switch to ready? Not sure though.

Here is some more info:

Readiness Monitor Status is NOT the same as Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's). Readiness represents whether or not the emissions control system in question has been evaluated. This evaluation tests for system functionality and, if a problem is detected, a DTC will be stored in the on-board computer.

What does "Ready" vs "Not Ready" status mean?
# Ready - The OBDII system has checked this emissions control system.

# Not Ready - The OBDII system has NOT checked this emissions control system.

# N/A or N/S - The OBDII system is not required to check this emissions control system.

Where is Readiness Monitor Status on the Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR)?
# The Emissions Test Results section of the VIR shows the status of each readiness monitor.

# REMEMBER: The vehicle will fail the OBDII inspection if more than two (2) monitors are "Not Ready".
Changing the Monitors(s) to "Ready"
# In order to get the OBDII system to set the monitors to "Ready", the vehicle needs to be drivin through a drive cycle/drive trace.

# If you don't have access to drive cycles/drive traces, they should be available from a qualified service technician or dealership.

If the vehicle has DTC's stored, and the MIL is commanded on:
# The vehicle will need repairs to correct the malfunction before it will pass the OBDII inspection.

# If you've cleared the DTC's (using a scan tool or disconnecting the battery), monitors will reset to "Not Ready".

# Driving the vehicle through the drive cycle/drive trace wil set the monitors back to "Ready" and verify that the repairs were effective.

# With a generic OBDII scan tool, verify the monitors are "Ready" before returning the vehicle to the customer.All is true except for "# REMEMBER: The vehicle will fail the OBDII inspection if more than two (2) monitors are "Not Ready".....that is true for I believe 2000 and older. (I think its 2000) Above 2000 has to have all but 1 monitor ready or it will fail.

neverenough
09-04-2008, 11:56 PM
waiting on a used MAS from an eclipse forum member. Hopefully it works, but if not, does anyone know a shadetree mechanic that will pass it knowing that the MAS isn't actually damaged? I'm tempted to ask my uncle who owns a classic performance shop but I don't want him to feel obligated.

X-Runner
09-05-2008, 12:01 AM
If you have trouble with it after the new MAF sensor PM me.

Slomaro Z28
09-05-2008, 12:15 AM
waiting on a used MAS from an eclipse forum member. Hopefully it works, but if not, does anyone know a shadetree mechanic that will pass it knowing that the MAS isn't actually damaged? I'm tempted to ask my uncle who owns a classic performance shop but I don't want him to feel obligated.

prob. cost almost as much as the new MAS