PDA

View Full Version : Mccain Takes Lead over OBAMA

Vteckidd
08-20-2008, 10:41 AM
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - In a sharp turnaround, Republican John McCain has opened a 5-point lead on Democrat Barack Obama in the U.S. presidential race and is seen as a stronger manager of the economy, according to a Reuters/Zogby poll released on Wednesday.
ADVERTISEMENT

McCain leads Obama among likely U.S. voters by 46 percent to 41 percent, wiping out Obama's solid 7-point advantage in July and taking his first lead in the monthly Reuters/Zogby poll.

The reversal follows a month of attacks by McCain, who has questioned Obama's experience, criticized his opposition to most new offshore oil drilling and mocked his overseas trip.

The poll was taken Thursday through Saturday as Obama wrapped up a weeklong vacation in Hawaii that ceded the political spotlight to McCain, who seized on Russia's invasion of Georgia to emphasize his foreign policy views.

"There is no doubt the campaign to discredit Obama is paying off for McCain right now," pollster John Zogby said. "This is a significant ebb for Obama."

McCain now has a 9-point edge, 49 percent to 40 percent, over Obama on the critical question of who would be the best manager of the economy -- an issue nearly half of voters said was their top concern in the November 4 presidential election.

That margin reversed Obama's 4-point edge last month on the economy over McCain, an Arizona senator and former Vietnam prisoner of war who has admitted a lack of economic expertise and shows far greater interest in foreign and military policy.

McCain has been on the offensive against Obama during the last month over energy concerns, with polls showing strong majorities supporting his call for an expansion of offshore oil drilling as gasoline prices hover near $4 a gallon.

Obama had opposed new offshore drilling, but said recently he would support a limited expansion as part of a comprehensive energy program.

That was one of several recent policy shifts for Obama, as he positions himself for the general election battle. But Zogby said the changes could be taking a toll on Obama's support, particularly among Democrats and self-described liberals.

"That hairline difference between nuance and what appears to be flip-flopping is hurting him with liberal voters," Zogby said.

Obama's support among Democrats fell 9 percentage points this month to 74 percent, while McCain has the backing of 81 percent of Republicans. Support for Obama, an Illinois senator, fell 12 percentage points among liberals, with 10 percent of liberals still undecided compared to 9 percent of conservatives.

OBAMA NEEDS TO WORK ON BASE

"Conservatives were supposed to be the bigger problem for McCain," Zogby said. "Obama still has work to do on his base. At this point McCain seems to be doing a better job with his."

The dip in support for Obama, who would be the first black U.S. president, cut across demographic and ideological lines. He slipped among Catholics, born-again Christians, women, independents and younger voters. He retained the support of more than 90 percent of black voters.

"There were no wild swings, there isn't one group that is radically different than last month or even two months ago. It was just a steady decline for Obama across the board," Zogby said.

Obama's support among voters between the ages of 18 and 29, which had been one of his strengths, slipped 12 percentage points to 52 percent. McCain, who will turn 72 next week, was winning 40 percent of younger voters.

"Those are not the numbers Obama needs to win," Zogby said about Americans under 30. The 47-year-old is counting on a strong turnout among young voters, a key bloc of support during his primary battle with New York Sen. Hillary Clinton.

It made little difference when independent candidate Ralph Nader and Libertarian Party candidate Bob Barr, who are both trying to add their names to state ballots.

McCain still held a 5-point edge over Obama, 44 percent to 39 percent, when all four names were included. Barr earned 3 percent and Nader 2 percent.

Most national polls have given Obama a narrow lead over McCain throughout the summer. In the Reuters/Zogby poll, Obama had a 5-point lead in June, shortly after he clinched the Democratic nomination, and an 8-point lead on McCain in May.

The telephone poll of 1,089 likely voters had a margin of error of 3 percentage points.

The poll was taken as both candidates head into their nominating conventions and the announcements of their choices of vice presidential picks. The Democratic convention begins on Monday in Denver, with the Republican convention opening the next Monday, September 1, in St. Paul, Minnesota.

BobbyFresco
08-20-2008, 10:49 AM
In a poll...Congrats on that major win..* YAWN*

Nemesis
08-20-2008, 10:50 AM
+ 1 for McCain

mocha latte cupcake
08-20-2008, 10:56 AM
+15 FOR MCCAIN! W00T!

EJ25RUN
08-20-2008, 10:58 AM
:cheers:

Vteckidd
08-20-2008, 11:18 AM
In a poll...Congrats on that major win..* YAWN*
Yeah cause thats what 99% of the world refers to when determining whose ahead in a presidential race.

asshat

thecrazyone
08-20-2008, 11:44 AM
woot woot!

Maniacc
08-20-2008, 11:50 AM
They're both a couple of douchebags, yet I would still vote for Obama. Just because McCain is currently ahead doesn't mean he'll win.

BobbyFresco
08-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Yeah cause thats what 99% of the world refers to when determining whose ahead in a presidential race.

asshat

Wow. You're able to get your point across without insults! /sarcasm.

AlanŽ
08-20-2008, 01:14 PM
Let's see if he can hold

blacknightteg
08-20-2008, 01:29 PM
im really dont think mccain has a chance. i hope not. he rides bushes coat tails like JM rides Nismo's nuts. regardless of whether he tries to get away from the same platforms and ideals that bush has, he has yet too and wont.

BanginJimmy
08-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Let's see if he can hold

This is actually typical of republicans. They start the summer way behind then gain speed all through the late summer and fall.

At this point in 1980 Reagan was about 15 points behind. He made his biggest gains after the convention. Lets hope that McCain does as well. I would love for him to win in a landslide.

1 more thing to consider, this poll was taken BEFORE the forum. If it was taken after I think the gap would have been larger.

Devils advocate:
Gallup still has Obama ahead by 2 points at 45-43

4dmin
08-20-2008, 04:15 PM
mccain is a toolbag no better then bush. he couldn't decide some years ago if he wanted to be a democrat or republican :thinking: WTF

you would think a guy who is now running for president should atleast know where his party lines are drawn there are major distinct differences on the issues. i would like to see obama win b/c i think it would be good for our country to have someone young and fresh in the office and who isn't up for "staying the course" keeping the US in a never ending battle in the middle east.

couple major problems though... 1) America is always too stupid when it comes to voting - Obama opposed offshore drilling which is fine b/c we will not see any rewards from that what so ever; obviously most Americans don't understand how sh!t works. we don't drill and immediately have gas POOF! Most people don't vote on the issues that are important to them they vote on what they hear/see in the news which is 50% fluff.

2) white America is still racist so obama connecting to this portion of the public is going to be hard; getting a black VP would be a lot easier.

3) obama campaign has really been pushed by the younger generation which it should be b/c he could impact us the most; yet we are the least reliable going to the polls

4) you have other democrats ****ing it up for him - Hilary still trying to toot her horn and Edwards and sex scandal

AlanŽ
08-20-2008, 04:30 PM
What's really hurting Obama right now is the fact the groups that have been supporting him the most like the catholics are switching.

BanginJimmy
08-20-2008, 04:34 PM
4) you have other democrats ****ing it up for him - Hilary still trying to toot her horn and Edwards and sex scandal

Pelosi is really doing a great job for McCain, I mean Obama, also.

leobond001
08-20-2008, 06:16 PM
i just dont see with all crap the U.S is in right now, how could anybody want another republican back in office thats gonna continue the same old thing.

its mind boggling

BB6dohcvtec
08-20-2008, 07:59 PM
that cool all polls are different, politco has obama 45 to McCain 43 and cnn has it obama 46 to McCain 43 nonetheless its still close. and those poll will def change a bit when they pick their VPs later this week or next week.

BanginJimmy
08-20-2008, 11:58 PM
i just dont see with all crap the U.S is in right now, how could anybody want another republican back in office thats gonna continue the same old thing.

its mind boggling

Some people actually know that Cngress has FAR more power than the president. Other people do independent research and Obama scares them more than McCain.

Vteckidd
08-21-2008, 12:12 AM
Paul imagine if we had drilled 15 years ago?

Where would we be NOW?

Drilling NOW would affect gas prices. THe OPEC nations would say "Oh ****, the US is getting serious about getting their own oil, we gonna lose billions!"

Prices would fall to the point that they would try to make it too cheap for us NOT to continue to depend on them for oil.

If we drill NOW we are securing our FUTURE for sure even if prices DONT FALL. It means in 10 years we wont be so dependant on foreign oil.

GOtta think ahead man.

Im not a huge Mccain supporter either, but, i think he will be better then Obama. Good news is whoever wins we will only see them for 4 years anyway considering

1) Obama will not deliver on his promises and the Republicans will capitalize on it

2) Mccain will only be a 1 term president if he wins.

Big J
08-21-2008, 06:05 AM
I'm sure the losers who actually take the time to participate in the polls are an even split of the demographic that turned out for the primaries. I guess we'll see in November.

Big J
08-21-2008, 06:28 AM
I just don't want to see Russia pissed off even more than they are......... they'll fly right over the north pole and start dropping paratroopers on our soil................. and we'll be f'd because our troops are everywhere but here, and they know this.

Republicans are suppose to be "better" as far as military and keeping the country safe, but if the last 5 years isn't a good indication of what better is, they're just total dumb asses. We're spread too thin and recruitment is still down, the home front is vulnerable. If we can't supply the troops in an actual theater of combat with the right equipment to do their job, how miserable and poorly equipped would we be here if we had to defend the home front? It wouldn't matter who was in office at that point.

If the theater expands anymore in the Middle East and I was a large country like Russia, North Korea, etc., you could engage the US on a small front and overseas and the US would deploy more equipment and troops. I'd just sit back and wait until the US was so over extended and so over deployed that bringing the conflict to American soil was the surest path to victory, because you'd have several good months to establish before enough of anything could be brought back to defend the home front. The ships and planes we use to transport troops and supplies would be fair game and one of the highest priority targets for me if I were invading American soil. See how quickly that situation would decline for the worst?

4dmin
08-21-2008, 07:48 AM
Paul imagine if we had drilled 15 years ago?

Where would we be NOW?

Drilling NOW would affect gas prices. THe OPEC nations would say "Oh ****, the US is getting serious about getting their own oil, we gonna lose billions!"

Prices would fall to the point that they would try to make it too cheap for us NOT to continue to depend on them for oil.

If we drill NOW we are securing our FUTURE for sure even if prices DONT FALL. It means in 10 years we wont be so dependant on foreign oil.

GOtta think ahead man.

Im not a huge Mccain supporter either, but, i think he will be better then Obama. Good news is whoever wins we will only see them for 4 years anyway considering

1) Obama will not deliver on his promises and the Republicans will capitalize on it

2) Mccain will only be a 1 term president if he wins.

No I think your wrong on this - there is more then enough oil in the market today this issue comes down to supply/demand. Some of the top oil companies are american - we are price gouging ourselves. To allow drilling else where in the US will only allow for oil companies to make more $. This has already been discussed by many top market gurus; which neither pres candidate is nor is Bush.

What needs to be done is the withdraw of troops and to reallocate the funding to mass transit in the top major cities on the US and other forms of energy based technology.

If Mccain wins we will see NO change in our economy! NONE. As someone stated before I can not believe Americans want 4 more years of republican policy over a POSSIBLE chance to change our current outlook. :cheers:

BB6dohcvtec
08-21-2008, 08:02 AM
Mccain 29 44.62%
Obama 29 44.62%

our IA poll as of now so even here its split... we shall see.

rupertaker
08-21-2008, 08:20 AM
No I think your wrong on this - there is more then enough oil in the market today this issue comes down to supply/demand. Some of the top oil companies are american - we are price gouging ourselves. To allow drilling else where in the US will only allow for oil companies to make more $. This has already been discussed by many top market gurus; which neither pres candidate is nor is Bush.

What needs to be done is the withdraw of troops and to reallocate the funding to mass transit in the top major cities on the US and other forms of energy based technology.

If Mccain wins we will see NO change in our economy! NONE. As someone stated before I can not believe Americans want 4 more years of republican policy over a POSSIBLE chance to change our current outlook. :cheers:

And the change we will see from Obama will be Capital gains tax going up 5%, possibly even more to where it's capped at 28%.

I honestly don't care for either one of them, I'm leaning towards McCain though as a ''lesser of two evils''.

BanginJimmy
08-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Republicans are suppose to be "better" as far as military and keeping the country safe, but if the last 5 years isn't a good indication of what better is, they're just total dumb asses. We're spread too thin and recruitment is still down, the home front is vulnerable. If we can't supply the troops in an actual theater of combat with the right equipment to do their job, how miserable and poorly equipped would we be here if we had to defend the home front? It wouldn't matter who was in office at that point.

If the theater expands anymore in the Middle East and I was a large country like Russia, North Korea, etc., you could engage the US on a small front and overseas and the US would deploy more equipment and troops. I'd just sit back and wait until the US was so over extended and so over deployed that bringing the conflict to American soil was the surest path to victory, because you'd have several good months to establish before enough of anything could be brought back to defend the home front. The ships and planes we use to transport troops and supplies would be fair game and one of the highest priority targets for me if I were invading American soil. See how quickly that situation would decline for the worst?

Our ilitary is just fine, the last 5 years are so bad because of politicians telling military commanders how to fight a war. During the surge the military finally got to at least remove the handcuffs placed on them by Washington at bring to fight to the enemy. Just imagine if the gloves came off also.

As far as defending the homefront goes, the US is so pussywhipped these days that the only protection we have against invasion is the fact that we are so far away from our enemies. No Navy in the world can get ner our shores without the US have multiple days of notice. Those couple of days would be all it would take to assemble the forces needed to repell any invasion.