PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Brembo blanks or slotted/cross drilled rotors?

RL...
08-18-2008, 11:48 PM
I just wanted to see what you guys think is the best setup for a street car, not a track car. It would be nice to get a lot of opinions...:D

Drummerboy
08-18-2008, 11:54 PM
I have Brembo blanks right now with Axxis ultimate pads.

they're okay, they stop quick, but they also wear out quick. I've got a ridge worked up on mine, its about time for a change.

never had drilled or slotted, but i figured first hard experience would help your decision.

GTScoob
08-19-2008, 03:39 AM
Go for Autozone duralast blanks. They're dirt cheap and have a 2 year warranty. Check their website for various zip codes around your area because the prices differ by county.

Atlblkz06
08-19-2008, 01:24 PM
I think expensive rotors are a waste of money.

Buy the one with the most bang for buck. You said you dont track so just a vented one should be good.

Slotter rotors look cool but dont get cross-drilled. Drilling em weakens the structure and you can get cracks that radiate from the holes.

The correct way to make cross-"drilled" rotors is to CAST them that way - not cast, then drill.

Let us know what you go with.

DieselNuts
08-19-2008, 01:27 PM
I think expensive rotors are a waste of money.

Buy the one with the most bang for buck. You said you dont track so just a vented one should be good.

Slotter rotors look cool but dont get cross-drilled. Drilling em weakens the structure and you can get cracks that radiate from the holes.

The correct way to make cross-"drilled" rotors is to CAST them that way - not cast, then drill.

Let us know what you go with.

this man speaks the truth. I had Stillen drilled and slotted rotors no my G35 and after about 25K miles they had cracks in both directions from the holes, but the slots were just fine. Never again will I purchase "Drilled" rotors.

Sammich
08-19-2008, 01:32 PM
DO A SEARCH...I MADE A THREAD ABOTU BREAKS EARLIER THIS YEAR THAT SOME PEOPLE REALLY CHIMED IN REALLY WELL W/

alpine_aw11
08-19-2008, 01:32 PM
If you don't track the car at all, no point in spending big money on a brake kit that wont last long. Racing brake systems aren't necessarily built to last very long, go with the Duralast as GTS said. You won't have any problems with what you get out of those and you'll save a good amount of cash for other things.

Random Hero
08-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Blanks are fine for your application :)

DunDunSkeert
08-19-2008, 02:03 PM
I would go with the duralasts. I have brembo drilled and they do tend to wear fast.

matthewAPM
08-19-2008, 03:12 PM
for a street car. use whatever.

for a track car... lightweight cars just use blanks. no need for anything else. For a really fast car, go with a slotted.

the only reason to use a drilled rotor is for autocross where you are trying to get every little bit of weight out of the car. A cross drilled rotor will actually get hotter because the air gets trapped in the holes like pockets.

ranger250x
08-19-2008, 03:43 PM
either slotted or just plain old blanks. really whichever you get cheaper aka blanks

EJ25RUN
08-19-2008, 03:57 PM
these are great. Glue-ons :D

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/08/fakebremboinstall3.jpg

Sammich
08-19-2008, 03:58 PM
I DID THAT...IMPROVED MY STOPPING BY 23%...JORDAN BRAKES FTW

speedminded
08-19-2008, 06:57 PM
for a street car. use whatever.

for a track car... lightweight cars just use blanks. no need for anything else. For a really fast car, go with a slotted.

the only reason to use a drilled rotor is for autocross where you are trying to get every little bit of weight out of the car. A cross drilled rotor will actually get hotter because the air gets trapped in the holes like pockets.Cross drilled rotors were invented for one reason and one reason only...to allow outgasing of the brake pads made 30+ years ago. Pads today do not emit the gases that prevented the caliper from operating properly years ago. It's for looks and even the president of Brembo will admit cross drilled rotors are purely made 100% for aesthetic reasons.

What's funny is cross drilling subtracts mass from the rotor and less mass equals more heat, lol! I bet anyone a cross drilled rotor will operate HOTTER than a blank. A hotter rotor will mean a hotter pad, hotter caliper, hotter brake fluid, etc. which in turn means inferior braking. Not to mention if you happen to hit water after braking hard or hard braking during rain or anything else that causes severe temperature changes WILL eventually crack cross drilled rotors.

There's a reason cross drilled rotors are not legal in sanctioned racing, they are dangerous. How is it a "performance upgrade" if they aren't used on ANY race car?

This in-car video from inside AutoFab's BMW (IA sponsor) during a driving event (DE) that proves it, look closely in the rear view mirror on the 2nd lap coming out of turn 7 [about 2:50] as the Porsche 944 careens off the track, skips across the grass, and slams into the wall.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7422704062563904638

Driver was unconscious and in ICU for days because of a shattered cross drilled rotor. The parts of rotor were found laying in between turn 6 and 7 during the post crash track walk...but at least they look cool right?

.blank cd
08-19-2008, 07:03 PM
Yeah i kinda kicked myself when i went from blanks to cross drilled in my accord. I could definitly feel the difference. After i installed them, the brakes were not the same. whole lot worse :(

Atlblkz06
08-19-2008, 08:14 PM
I dont see how you FELT the difference between blanks and cross drilled. That makes no sense. :???:

.blank cd
08-19-2008, 08:28 PM
I could definitly feel a difference. the drilled ones faded really quickly and shook alot when they got hot

RL...
08-19-2008, 09:20 PM
I'll end up going with the brembo blanks and hawk hps pads...

DunDunSkeert
08-19-2008, 09:26 PM
I could definitly feel a difference. the drilled ones faded really quickly and shook alot when they got hot
Same here mine seem like they warp when i brake hard. but driving normally they are fine

EJ25RUN
08-19-2008, 09:29 PM
i got the stock rotors and calipers with Hawk Pads. Enough stopping power in the sti brakes but the best thing about Hawk pads, they dont powder as much so the wheels stay gold longer.

Atlblkz06
08-19-2008, 11:35 PM
Where, how, and why do you drive an accord so hard that the brakes fade?

I dont mean to be difficult, it jsut sounds dangerous to push an accord to the point where the brakes are fading.

speedminded
08-20-2008, 12:25 AM

I dont mean to be difficult, it jsut sounds dangerous to push an accord to the point where the brakes are fading.Accords handle well with a little suspension work, you know they are used as touring cars and raced in Europe right? The problem is stock Honda brakes suck, I can destroy a set of stock pads & rotors in no time in a Civic or Integra so imagine in a car that weighs a few hundred lbs more!

xbn83
08-20-2008, 01:12 AM
I have 5th gen Prelude and have been running Brembo Cross Drilled front rotors for more than 2 years now, not a single problem or crack. I drive my car to work and school everyday. I have tried Axxis Metal Ceramic, and AEM pads. Axxis pads eat your rotor a lot! You definitely feel a lot difference compare to OEM set up. Many people buy cheap ebay rotors, and when they are cracked, they blame the design. There are many stores on ebay buy Brembo blank rotors, and have third party cross drilled and slotted. That is dangerous! Brembo DOES NOT sell cross drilled and slotted on the same rotor. They have only either cross drilled OR slotted. It bothers me that people who don't have their personal experience with the product, or never use them before, and just hear this or that from other people on internet and jump on the bandwagon, please STFU! Atlblkz06 (member.php?u=25116), have you ever used Brembo cross drilled rotors?

.blank cd
08-20-2008, 03:12 PM

I dont mean to be difficult, it jsut sounds dangerous to push an accord to the point where the brakes are fading.Coming down highway off-ramps doing 80-0 is where i would feel it the most. and my accord was quite nimble w/ the wheel/tire/suspension setup i had on it. wasnt all too dangerously fast, but i could corner w/ the best of 'em

.blank cd
08-20-2008, 03:16 PM
Accords handle well with a little suspension work, you know they are used as touring cars and raced in Europe right? The problem is stock Honda brakes suck, I can destroy a set of stock pads & rotors in no time in a Civic or Integra so imagine in a car that weighs a few hundred lbs more!They were TASPro cross-drilled i had on there. honestly I bought em for the looks. i didnt expect much of a gain of performance if any. Figured they'd be a decent stock replacement. The stockers were starting to warp so i just bought those

1SICKLEX
08-23-2008, 07:46 PM
these are great. Glue-ons :D

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/08/fakebremboinstall3.jpg

lol

tdurr
08-23-2008, 09:35 PM
I had slotted(front) and drilled(rear) rotors on my accord when i had it. They stopped like a champ. Bought it with them on there so dono wut stock felt like, but i liked feel. But id say do what you want, just get a brand name from a good source. dont cheap out on the things that keep you from smashing into stuff.

oh and Going from 80-0 and sitting, will destroy any brand break rotors fyi.

yudalicious
08-24-2008, 02:01 PM
if you're not after looks, just get the cheapest blank rotors you can find. there's really no difference in performance. the difference makers in braking, to put it simply, are brake pads and tires, with tires being the ultimate factor in how short of a distance you can stop in.

green91
08-24-2008, 02:05 PM
Ive got brembo blanks + hawk hp+ pads. The brembos were a waste of money IMO. I had hoped they would be less likely to warp yet ive had to resurface them probably 3 times this year. Just pick up autozone cheapos and good pads