PDA

View Full Version : Misc Long distance traveling

gukdoebabdoe
08-17-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm planning on driving from Atlanta to Los Angeles to Seattle just for the experience and for some nice photography. Anyone have any advice they could give me?

X-Runner
08-17-2008, 11:50 PM
Have the car checked out, good. Any dealership will do it for free if you tell them your going on a trip like that.

batlude
08-18-2008, 12:51 AM
make sure you have alot of money for gas... once you hit the west coast... gas prices are outrageous!

YoTa_BoX
08-18-2008, 02:04 AM
I drove out to Cali a few years ago just to see what it was like. Enjoy the drive and depending on what route your taking...if its the south route.. Keep your tank as full as possible...there will be stretches of road where you will not see a gas station for it seems like 100 miles lol. If you can take it nice and slow on the way over...just enjoy the world around you :)

BanginJimmy
08-18-2008, 06:39 AM
If at all possible have someone with you. It is far easier on the long strethes to stay awake when you have someone to BS with.

Dont drop below 1/4 tank. As somoene said, you will run into long stretches with no gas.

Take your time. There is ALOT to see on a long road trip. Take the time and enjoy it.

SPOOLIN
08-18-2008, 09:03 AM
take a spare 5gal gas container lol.

Red_Phoenix
08-18-2008, 09:32 AM
I just drove to canada and back and I drove from cali to hear about 2 years ago. I dunno what kind of car yoru going to drive or what route you plan on taking but keep your car full as often as possible. There were a few 70 mile streches where there was no gas station:( (this was in nevada) also bring spare radiator hoses. U don't know how many NEW cars I saw on the side of the freeway in the desert. We stopped to see if we could help a few of them (give them a lift. better then cooking in the middle of nowhere) and that was a huge issue. Other then that I hope your rich because gas gets more expensive out west and EVEN MORE when you start to head NORTH. I was in canada and was paying $1.46 a litre. Which is about $7 a gallon.:eek: So for your sake I hope your driving a festiva or something like that. Good luck to you though. Should be an adventure. tell us all about it when you get back;)

Oh yeah...No matter how much music you bring to listen on the way.....its never enough. lol

DieselNuts
08-18-2008, 09:41 AM
CRAIGSLIST HAS LISTINGS FOR :idb: IN ALL STATES!

Maniacc
08-18-2008, 03:56 PM
Definitely have your car checked out, tires, wheel bearings, suspension, ect. Just in case. I would take atleast 2 empty gas containers and have them filled up when you're getting ready to pass lets say, Alabama. I know I wouldn't want to get stuck there.

I remember when I took my car to Myrtle beach, SC. And ended up having an awesome time. Driving away from home is always exciting and full of great experiences. Good luck and make sure you come back with some sick pictures.

FasTech
08-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Well if it were me driving that far, I'd make sure I had a good spare and 4-way, basic tool kit, gas can(not a giant one), have the car checked out etc.... Flashlight! Then my nessacary items like clothes, snacks, sleeping items, etc......

gukdoebabdoe
08-18-2008, 04:26 PM
im doing this with a mazda rx8. about 18 miles to the gallon with city/highway driving but ive had plent of friends go over 20 mpg with it on long distance drives. It has about 15.9 gallons totally filled.

wow some really nice info here.

DieselNuts
08-18-2008, 05:11 PM
wow, I would have expected better mpg than that. I guess rotorys aren't as "efficient" (for lack of a better term) when it comes to fuel milage.

you might want to pick up a tire plug kit or even a couple cans of fixaflat. some places won't repair a tire that has had fixaflat in it though. just something to keep in mind.

BUGMAN
08-18-2008, 10:42 PM
http://www.gasbuddy.com/GB_StateList.aspx

I would suggest a cell phone, air card with a laptop, plenty of snacks (cooler if possible), plenty of time, etc.

I would suggest taking the high route there and the lower route back. I-40 there and I-90 back. Nice scenic route and make sure you hit the Grand Canyon on the way there.

You are going to see some phenomenal scenery so take your time and enjoy it.

gukdoebabdoe
08-19-2008, 04:06 PM
anyone experience periods of no phone service while going to cali?

allmotoronly
08-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Be prepared to be really bored between GA and California. There's not a lot other than farmland lol.

JTM
08-19-2008, 07:10 PM
sounds like a very cool adventure. seems to be ballin' to be able to do this...i like road trips but cross country is too far man..good luck on the trip!

Red_Phoenix
08-20-2008, 07:46 AM
anyone experience periods of no phone service while going to cali?

There is no cell service in Utah.....and large parts of nevada.....its called the desert. lol