PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Honda guys listen to me b1tch! yay!

dorin48
08-17-2008, 06:52 PM
So some how I have continually defied the reliability name that follows honda.

:2up:

I've had 3 swapped hondas and a handful of other vehicles through my years. So far I'm 2 for 2 on B16As....

....As in blowing them up. Had a 94 cx sporting a b16a running obd1, itr tranny, 1mm over pistons, and a feel's tuned ecu. A week of having the set up yielded a trashed wrist pin in cylinder #3. Supposedly a low mileage swap....

...and now I just got my ED3 back from Mainstream (nothing against them, excellent work. B16a, chrome p28, gsr cams, scotty base tune) and it ran amazing for three days then spun a bearing @6k rpms :( ...........

.......On ****ing cylinder #3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!2121112@@!!!! wtf =bbq how am i doing this??????????????

Question: Honda why do you hate me?

Question: Why won't anyone buy my gangster mkII vw?

If you read all this and humor me like a tool i'll rep you lol.

Scotsman
08-17-2008, 06:54 PM
just remove cyl #3 on your next swap!

cornercarver78
08-17-2008, 06:58 PM
I know how you feel to some extent. Seem like i can't ever make my cars work right. Just go out and buy a motorcycle, leave it stock, and go fast with without sacrificing reliability.

JITB
08-17-2008, 07:04 PM
change manufacturers.. hondas arent for u...something with a iron block..

dorin48
08-17-2008, 07:09 PM
change manufacturers.. hondas arent for u...something with a iron block..

Lol go figure, ive had 2 mazdas and they were both excellent vehicles....and someone wanted to trade me a 1st gen miata for my vw. (which has an iron block)

JITB
08-17-2008, 07:13 PM
Lol go figure, ive had 2 mazdas and they were both excellent vehicles....and someone wanted to trade me a 1st gen miata for my vw. (which has an iron block)

oh man... i didnt think you would catch that mazda reference...lol Go buy something with a BP in it... ull save money on silly sleeves...and all that gabage!

dorin48
08-17-2008, 07:14 PM
Yeah lol i <3 the ol' 1.8s

fivex684
08-17-2008, 07:19 PM
That really does suck man. My Integra has a B16A swap. I have driven the crap out of it for years with out a single problem. The only thing I do is change the oil.

japan4racing
08-17-2008, 07:30 PM
sorry to hear of your ****ty luck...i have only had one swap for the past almost 4 years. my gsr swap is the first swap i bought and i still have it. its been boosted twice ran anywhere from 14.8 down to 12.2. its been in 3 or 4 different cars and its been in some of those cars 3 or 4 times! i have never had any major problems out of it. worst thing that ever happened was the thermostat stuck shut! now its built and will be going in my teg to get beat on for many more years to come! maybe you should move on to mazda's like jitb says....i have had 3 b6t cars and they are damn near bullet proof....bp's are ftw also!

alpine_aw11
08-17-2008, 08:21 PM
Eh, can't win em all. No matter what engine it is some will blow, can't prevent it sometimes. Maybe it was a building error? Not insulting you if you built them but everyone slips up sometimes.

civic95
08-17-2008, 08:31 PM

I've had 3 swapped hondas and a handful of other vehicles through my years. So far I'm 2 for 2 on B16As....

....As in blowing them up. Had a 94 cx sporting a b16a running obd1, itr tranny, 1mm over pistons, and a feel's tuned ecu. A week of having the set up yielded a trashed wrist pin in cylinder #3. Supposedly a low mileage swap....

...and now I just got my ED3 back from Mainstream (nothing against them, excellent work. B16a, chrome p28, gsr cams, scotty base tune) and it ran amazing for three days then spun a bearing @6k rpms :( ...........

.......On ****ing cylinder #3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!2121112@@!!!! wtf =bbq how am i doing this??????????????

First one wasn't put together right it sounds like. Did Mainstream rebuild your 2nd engine?

Maybe just bad luck. I'm on my 7th honda, and the only time I've ever been left stranded was when I ran my CRX out of gas trying to make it to a cheaper gas station. Not bad for 13 yrs of driving.

BABY J
08-17-2008, 08:31 PM

1st off -- f*ck a B16, but you can find my (crower three-piece cam) thread to lead into how many B16s I have blown up. It's usually the block of choice when guys are young/green and want to get into swaps fast. The more seasoned guys generally laugh at B16s though - but most every goes through a few before stepping up the displacement.

For your motor that you blew in a week - when you got it, did you do a compression check? I'm gonna answer for you - "no". LOL. Also - when some1 sells you a Feel's program - chances are they are full of sh*t. In 15 years of modding Hondas I have not met ONE single person w/ a true Spoon/Feels/TopFuel/Mugen program - hell, not even Skunk2 programs... but many claim their "no rev limiter/fuel cut" mod as a "race-ready" program - BULL!

2... Did you get the engine on the rollers to make sure the "Feel's" tune was good? I'm gonna answer for you "no". Chances are you didn't - then started tooling around town at 8k RPMs.

--

On your MSPi build, did you perform a compression-test before you started modding the block? Did u assume this block from some1 else or did you build it from the ground up? Also - I will assume that you didn't run an oil-pressure guage on EITHER of these blocks. I see oiling issues as the number 1 culprit when guys hurt a B series.

90_ACCORD
08-17-2008, 08:33 PM
you just got bad luck with honda's
not your fault
my sister had a civic and had the same luck
she had to have 2 motors put in it

Paree4g63
08-17-2008, 09:19 PM
3 is the lucky number to quit with Honda's..but one should say you should never give up cause Honda's rock if do it right. If you ever decide to get a different manufacturer; get a evo9/mr..you'll be decently quick all around and can go clubbing with up to 6 skinny people! they tune hella easily too! :rolleyes:

dorin48
08-17-2008, 09:56 PM
1st off -- f*ck a B16, but you can find my (crower three-piece cam) thread to lead into how many B16s I have blown up. It's usually the block of choice when guys are young/green and want to get into swaps fast. The more seasoned guys generally laugh at B16s though - but most every goes through a few before stepping up the displacement.

For your motor that you blew in a week - when you got it, did you do a compression check? I'm gonna answer for you - "no". LOL. Also - when some1 sells you a Feel's program - chances are they are full of sh*t. In 15 years of modding Hondas I have not met ONE single person w/ a true Spoon/Feels/TopFuel/Mugen program - hell, not even Skunk2 programs... but many claim their "no rev limiter/fuel cut" mod as a "race-ready" program - BULL!

2... Did you get the engine on the rollers to make sure the "Feel's" tune was good? I'm gonna answer for you "no". Chances are you didn't - then started tooling around town at 8k RPMs.

--

On your MSPi build, did you perform a compression-test before you started modding the block? Did u assume this block from some1 else or did you build it from the ground up? Also - I will assume that you didn't run an oil-pressure guage on EITHER of these blocks. I see oiling issues as the number 1 culprit when guys hurt a B series.

1. I understand the value of displacement. I went for a cheaper swap because this is my daily that had a lethargic d15 w/ 226k on it.

2. I always perform atleast one compression check on motors before purchasing and do follow up tests after they are installed. The week long one I even dropped the pan before hand and checked the oil squirters.

3. The feel's program was legit. Shipped to a friend in japan and sent to them from him and returned with a seal. Covered in Kanji lol couldnt read it.

4. As for the rollers after the ecu ya got me there.

5. My most recent happening was a virgin bottom end. Compression check was done before installed.

I dont blame the skepticism but im not green or young, but im not an expert either. Thats why I try to be thorough.

Motivation
08-17-2008, 10:01 PM
get a rotary...

Thighs
08-17-2008, 10:04 PM

you should do it.... :ninja:

redrumracer
08-17-2008, 10:06 PM
yea gets a mazduh, day is grrrrreeeaaaaatttttt. butts get dat bp shat likez some other persons menshuned.

JITB
08-17-2008, 10:21 PM
sell ur honda for a crazy overpriced price
take half of it, and buy a Egt/1g protegelx
take 300$ get a bpt manifold/turbo
snag u some probe/mx6 turbo injectors form the Pull a part
get u an exhaust/tap the oil pan
and set the MBC @ 10lbs... and have fun...

you can probrably do all that from selling the B16 alone...lol

redrumracer
08-17-2008, 10:25 PM
sell ur honda for a crazy overpriced price
take half of it, and buy a Egt/1g protegelx
take 300$ get a bpt manifold/turbo
snag u some probe/mx6 turbo injectors form the Pull a part
get u an exhaust/tap the oil pan
and set the MBC @ 10lbs... and have fun...

you can probrably do all that from selling the B16 alone...lol
OH NOEZ NOTS DA FWONT WHEELZ DWIVE ok ill stop it now.

if i still had my old sig you would see my biased opinion :D

JITB
08-17-2008, 10:27 PM
OH NOEZ NOTS DA FWONT WHEELZ DWIVE ok ill stop it now.

if i still had my old sig you would see my biased opinion :D

:tongue1: ! there was nothin wrong with FWD.. until 3 years ago... :lmfao:

BABY J
08-17-2008, 10:28 PM
1. I understand the value of displacement. I went for a cheaper swap because this is my daily that had a lethargic d15 w/ 226k on it.

2. I always perform atleast one compression check on motors before purchasing and do follow up tests after they are installed. The week long one I even dropped the pan before hand and checked the oil squirters.

3. The feel's program was legit. Shipped to a friend in japan and sent to them from him and returned with a seal. Covered in Kanji lol couldnt read it.

4. As for the rollers after the ecu ya got me there.

5. My most recent happening was a virgin bottom end. Compression check was done before installed.

I dont blame the skepticism but im not green or young, but im not an expert either. Thats why I try to be thorough.

Good job on the compression check - but that's just one of many things to take a look at - but at least you did what you could.

But here is where you lose me on your Feel's program --- you sent off for a race-ready map. No offense, real tuners send off for BASE MAPS, and then strap down for some real-world tuning. I HAVE seen some1 do pulls w/ a data logger, and then email those results to a tuner, and get A/F and timing corrections, but even then it's hit and miss and is very intricate work. It's not optimal to do it that way even w/ a competent tuner. But to each his own.

Did you read the crank/bearings/pistons/plugs after this last event? I'd bet oiling issues ate your block --- u never answered about running a OP gauge.

All I can say is man keep at it - racing, even mild builds, is a test of heart. The guys w/ no heart pack up - get a minivan and go home. But the guys w/ hear pick up their scattered block outta the road, tow the b*tch home and start the rebuild.

I do wish you luck on your future builds... make sure builder is competent, and if he doesn't go crazy w/ a digital caliper I wouldn't trust him.

GL homey! Keep building!

dorin48
08-18-2008, 09:24 AM
No i didnt run an OP guage either... :(

Anyways results are in annnnnddddd the winner iiisss!!!!

Cylinder #1! spun bearing.

DieselNuts
08-18-2008, 09:34 AM
THIS IS THE EXACT REASON I CANT STAND WHEN PEOPLE SUCK HONDA'S D!CK BECAUSE OF THEIR RELIABILITY. ANY WELL MAINTAINED CAR SHOULD LAST JUST AS LONG AS A HONDA, IF NOT LONGER.

i THINK ITS TIME FOR YOU TO SWITCH UP BRANDS AGAIN. HAPPENS ONCE, SHAME ON YOU, HAPPENS TWICE, SHAME ON ME.....I DONT THINK THERE IS SUPPOSED TO BE A 3RD CHANCE...

japan4racing
08-18-2008, 09:57 AM
THIS IS THE EXACT REASON I CANT STAND WHEN PEOPLE SUCK HONDA'S D!CK BECAUSE OF THEIR RELIABILITY. ANY WELL MAINTAINED CAR SHOULD LAST JUST AS LONG AS A HONDA, IF NOT LONGER.

i THINK ITS TIME FOR YOU TO SWITCH UP BRANDS AGAIN. HAPPENS ONCE, SHAME ON YOU, HAPPENS TWICE, SHAME ON ME.....I DONT THINK THERE IS SUPPOSED TO BE A 3RD CHANCE...

you can turn the caps off if you want...and my parents have a 99 honda accord with 260k on it and a 99 f-250 with 160k on it..the accord has never been in a shop the ford is pretty well known up there.....coincidence...probably not

anyways back on topic....thats ****ty about the bearing failure. you just have really bad luck

BABY J
08-18-2008, 02:59 PM
LOL at people wanting to argue against Honda reliability. Cute.

DieselNuts
08-18-2008, 05:16 PM
you can turn the caps off if you want...and my parents have a 99 honda accord with 260k on it and a 99 f-250 with 160k on it..the accord has never been in a shop the ford is pretty well known up there.....coincidence...probably not

anyways back on topic....thats ****ty about the bearing failure. you just have really bad luck
I REALLY DON'T WANT TO THOUGH, BUT THANKS FOR THE OFFER.

I'VE SEEN ALMOST AS MANY HONDAS ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD AS ANY OTHER MAKE. COINCIDENCE? PROBABLY NOT...

BABY J
08-18-2008, 05:32 PM
The bottom line is Honda is an ENGINE company, that also HAPPENS to make cars. Find another car manufacturer that can say the same. Wait - you can't. Honda's engines is their bread and butter. I won't even mention F1 --- which more racing technology trickles down from their race program into their commuter cars than any other manufacturer - w/ GM a close 2nd and Mazda right behind.

JITB
08-18-2008, 05:36 PM
honda should make a non interference motor that makes 100hp/liter and doesnt need premium fuel...

eraser4g63
08-19-2008, 07:48 PM
I keep telling him to buy a Mazda, but he wont listen to me. i guess its always seeing my RX-7 in the shop that does it. i feel kinda bad cause i was the one that hooked him up with that motor set and was there when the compression check happened. It was near perfect. but then again you were the one driving my 7 when the clutch exploded...again.. Gl man let me know when you figure out what your doing.

chameleon30038
08-19-2008, 08:18 PM
i know exactly how you feel! I have not been cheap on any of my swaps, never tried to get a discount or cut corners. Mainstream did a swap for me blew up in a week. Did i get my money back or any compensation...NOPE! Assist Motorsports did another sway and that was no good...they re did some work and its worse than before...So trust me i know
the feeling. Oh yeah the first motor spun a rod bearing after some months...i need to get
out of hondas before they suck me dry...lol!

BABY J
08-19-2008, 08:27 PM
1st off - this is no offense to the shops here, but it is a difference between an engine builder and a swap shop. There are 3 people in Georgia that I would let assemble a Honda engine for me - and they don't work at any shop on this board.

When you say ur swap blew up - again, READ my posts... it is up to YOU to source a competent builder, and it's up to YOU to make sure the engine being swapped is legit and reliable. I'd let MSPi install pretty much any Honda engine into my car on the planet - but I would not let them BUILD/ASSEMBLE my engine. No knock on them, or any other local shops - just preference.

The guys that SERIOUSLY assemble racing engines for a living do not have the desire or the time to be installing them for you in most cases.

BlueHatch
08-20-2008, 12:27 PM
ive had a few boosted and tuned b series motors and they both shat out no. 3. both came from reputable shops and were tuned by reputable shops. and i drove them twice each then... well ill never turbo another honda

Sammich
08-20-2008, 12:30 PM
IMO b16s are just for a 'swap' no upgrades..i mean yea people have had good fortune w/ b16s, but i've heard of way more issues w/ b16s trials than i have w/ b18c1s or LS engines or b20s...just saying

eraser4g63
08-20-2008, 12:50 PM
to squash the confusion, mainstream never went inside that motor. They did not modify the motor. that motor was put in the same way it was found. the only modification to it was a Chrome ECU, GSR Cams and a different air filter. Dorin is in no way mad at/ attempting to get money out of, or bitching about the work that was done. I know him personally and i know the guys at mainstream fairly well and he has no,none,0, nada beef with them or any hard feelings. The compression numbers on that motor were pretty close to perfect and it had little to no leak down. What happened was an unforeseeable event. please lets not turn this thread into a ***** about shops thread, there was no way to test for what occurred. Sorry i am done now. Gl Dorin, let me know if there is anything i can do to help.

BABY J
08-20-2008, 08:13 PM
^^

My point exactly when I said it's the OWNERS job to provide a good block for swapping.