PDA

View Full Version : Misc Looking for mortgage help!!!!!!

jasonturbo
08-17-2008, 03:02 PM
So basically I will keep this short and sweet... I'm a Canadian citizen, my mom married a american and they moved from Canada to Marietta... I went to visit them and fell in love with Georgia and now i want to join the party. I work in oil and gas on a 21-7 shift so Im in a work camp in Northern canada for 21 days and then have 7 days off and my flight home/back is paid for... so I figure it's a better time than ever to move to ATL. Not to mention real estate is kinds in the pits.

Anyone know anything about Canadians getting a mortgage in the states? I'm 24 years old and I grosse about 160k/year. Don't have spectacular credit history thanks to being 18 and getting a little excited with the car parts :o lol

I dont have a green card.. I will be immigrating to the states as soon as my mom finishes her immigration... but that could be another year or more.

Hope this all makes sense.

PLEASE HELP!!!

AlanŽ
08-17-2008, 03:47 PM
Best thing you can do is start talking to banks down here man. Good luck.

chrisdavis
08-18-2008, 08:20 AM
PM JamieCBR here he may be able to steer you into the proper direction

mmmmpsi
08-18-2008, 10:10 AM
You're not going to be able to get a mortgage here without your immigration being finished.. One of the first questions they are going to ask is if you have a social security number as well as if you have any credit history.. Your Canadian credit history means nothing here, so you basically have to start all over with a new history.

If your mom hasn't even finished her immigration yet there is no guarantee it will even happen so no one is going to give you a mortgage because of that.

Also, if you're coming in on a family based VISA as a unmarried son and daughter of a permanent resident, there are numerical limitations on this as outlined below so it could be several years before you fall into that category.

# Second Preference: Spouses and Children, and Unmarried Sons and Daughters of Permanent Residents: 114,200, plus the number (if any) by which the worldwide family preference level exceeds 226,000, and any unused first preference numbers:

1. Spouses and Children: 77% of the overall second preference limitation, of which 75% are exempt from the per-country limit;
2. Unmarried Sons and Daughters (21 years of age or older): 23% of the overall second preference limitation.

Your mom married and moved to the US before she had her green card?? You do realize that it's illegal to do that right? Unless she entered as a finance on a F-1 VISA and then applied to adjust status after she got married, she'd have to prove that she entered the U.S. without dual intent. (in other words that she moved here to get married).. Also if her or her husband has any type of criminal history whatsoever, that could be a reason for exclusion from ever getting a VISA. The Green card process itself usually takes a couple years from within the US. Does she have a interview scheduled yet?

Anyway, sorry for the bad news but unless you're paying cash, you're not going to get a house here.. you COULD look into getting a loan from a Canadian bank to put towards a house, but that would be something you'd have to speak to a Canadian bank about.

And no, I'm not a lawyer but I should be one, trust me I know what I'm talking about.

4dmin
08-18-2008, 10:15 AM
PM - jaimecbr900 he owns a mortgage company :goodjob:

mmmmpsi
08-18-2008, 10:17 AM
And TRUST ME, don't give up.. You'll love it here... It will be worth it when it's all over with..

I know I moved from Calgary. :crazy:

mmmmpsi
08-18-2008, 10:18 AM

It doesn't matter.. the bank is not going to give him money without having a social security number at the minimum.

4dmin
08-18-2008, 11:13 AM
It doesn't matter.. the bank is not going to give him money without having a social security number at the minimum.

i read your post - just posting up jaime's info for anyone who does searchs on the boards ;)

AirMax95
08-18-2008, 11:24 AM

thanks for the info!

ash7
08-18-2008, 11:35 AM
If your gross income is 160k, why not just go into "ultra saving freak mode" and begin to save half your paychecks. With a little self-control/sacrifice and frugal spending you'll be able to pay cash house/apartment before you know it - who needs credit when you can pay cash?

Having a house as an asset helps your credit tremendously.

-jonathan

SampaGuy
08-18-2008, 03:29 PM
You don't need the social security number, that would require you to get a green card and would take a few years, when you get a visa they will give you a 9-digit alien #/tax id # that you can use as an "alternate" social security number until you get your greencard.

I moved here in 2000 with a visa, I was in high school and couldn't work and so couldn't buy a car for a long time. Then in 2004 I got a employment authorization card, and then finally in 2005 I got my greencard. This crap takes time, I dont think you will be able to move here immediately just like that. But then again, they are probably a lot easier on canadians.

jasonturbo
08-18-2008, 11:37 PM
The idea of just paying cash isn't out of the question, if I was looking for a house worth lets say... 160k.. but I am looking at 250-300k range... I have only been making this kind of money for the last year and a half... and school debts had to be paid... so it's not like I save every paycheck.

I am quite certain that mmmmpsi is correct based on the information I was able to find on the internet. It will also not be easy to get a Canadian bank to accept any type of US property as security due to the current volatile housing market.

I just might pm jamiecbr, I do have a substantial amount of money i could put down on a house, so maybe there is a way... money makes the world go round. Even if i do get a mortgage I plan on paying it off immediately.

Thanks for the reply's everyone :D

SEAN
08-19-2008, 12:24 AM
good luck with it all...I am originally from Edmonton myself and have been in the States for quite awhile...I could never have the life back in Canada that I have down here...Atlanta was my home the last 10 years but I have since moved on to Florida...paradise found...I will never go back to the snow and cold...

The Creeper
08-19-2008, 01:16 AM
It is hard to get a mortgage right now...mortgage industry = dead.