PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Lifespan of turbo motors??

teh_mugen18
08-15-2008, 10:03 PM
For example, I might be having a turbo shortblock consisting of forged rods and pistons, and honed cylinders, and new bearings, and main seal built for me by a local machine/engine shop. What would the overall lifespan of the motor be if i were to run ~8 - 10psi daily on a T25, or a t3/t4 turbocharger?

I know that most NA honda motors can run, on average, up to +200,000miles but what about an all aftermarket, turbo motor?

EDIT: oh, and i forgot...around how much should a shop be charging for such a prestigious product?:D :gay: I'd hate to get overcharged or have my wallet raped for every cent.....:(

Atlblkz06
08-16-2008, 12:27 AM
A lot of it depends on the block you're talking about. You need to specify since the lifespan seems to be all over the place.

We've seen crazy blocks like the supras and vipers take in mad boost and still live a long and healthy life.

Its all about finding the weakest link and making it "above par, and then some".

Thats the downside of tuning - you really have to anticipate the next thing thats going to break.

My buddy blew the 2nd gearset in his VW. Hes pushing 300+ CHP in a car designed for 110. Strange things happen when you push the limit.

Paree4g63
08-16-2008, 01:03 AM
uprgrade what all you need to withstand the power you desire(better safe then sorry)..pistons, rods, etc and of course the simple things like c-clamps/t-bolt clamps because you'll need stronger clamps because of more boost coming in. The lifespan of your boosted motor all depends on how you drive it everyday and how often you change your fluids. If you do alot of slight boosts or major boosts every other day or EVERYDAY; change your oil before 3k and change your timing belt/chain and other internals that need changing before their scheduled replacement. The less you push booost, the less you'll lose. :goodjob:

Type-R
08-16-2008, 01:53 AM
Depends on how you are going to drive it. If you drive it hard like you are in the Indi500 every day going to Wal-Mart and back home then I wouldn't give the motor to much over a year without seeing the first signs of issues. If you drive it steady and take care of it, keep up on the fluid changes more frequent then recommended then you will get much more life out of it, even as a DD.

wwli
08-16-2008, 04:08 AM
The engines life span no matter N/A or Turbo or Supercharger all depends on one major part, How good is your tune??

Then it will depend on how well you maintain it.

How you drive it will affect it but the most important factor IMO will be how good is your tune.

Think of it this way you can have the prettiest girl with the best looking set of :boobies: and etc. but if she has a nasty attitude do you think it will last??

Drive the car the way you built it.

AnthonyF
08-16-2008, 08:19 AM
1min-50k hours.

Seriously, no more dumb questions. :locked:

-Ant.