PDA

View Full Version : wheel hub

primespark22
08-15-2008, 08:07 PM
well my mechanic was doing a check up on my car, he took of the wheels and put them back on he told me wat the problem was so i got my car and headed home. when i get home i jack the car up and take the front right tire off then i go to the driver side and the lug nutz were tight like a mofo!!. So i put pressure and the hole thing breaks off nut and screw so go to the next one to see if it the same problem and it also broke off,so i want to know if can i replace the screws or i got to get a new hub? and if i do were can i get one cheap?!!!

Scotsman
08-15-2008, 08:10 PM
model of car would help , just my .02 , if you are runnin 4 lug , it would be easier and cheaper to replace the hub

primespark22
08-15-2008, 08:15 PM
sorry bout that its a 97 civic dx coupe, yeah and its a 4 lug

wwli
08-16-2008, 03:54 AM
It's always a good idea to use Anti-seize on the lug nut threads. This will help it from rusting and from getting stuck.

AnthonyF
08-16-2008, 08:31 AM
It's always a good idea to use Anti-seize on the lug nut threads. This will help it from rusting and from getting stuck.

No. Do not put anti-seize on your lugs. You'll get a false tq rating when tightening down the lugs. Hondas require 80 ft lbs.

-Ant.

CHADbee
08-16-2008, 01:29 PM
call me monday ill sell you a hub for cheap

crazypayaso
08-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Hey it sounds like the lug nuts got cross threaded when they put them back on. you can change the stud and buy new lug nuts its pretty cheap and its not that hard to change i work at advance auto and i know for a fact we have them and keep them in stock. If you have anymore ? dont hesitate to ask me. G/L with it and hope you get it fixed soon

wwli
08-17-2008, 09:01 AM
No. Do not put anti-seize on your lugs. You'll get a false tq rating when tightening down the lugs. Hondas require 80 ft lbs.

-Ant.

I have always use Anti-sieze on all of my cars so the threads do not dry out. Please remember that if your tighten a dry thread it will give you a false reading as well.
My recommendation is to use a little bit to keep the threads from getting stuck.
Just my $0.02.

Tech5
08-17-2008, 09:42 AM
Yeah I use alittle bit of bearing grease on ours it doesnt hurt anything...BTW to the answer to your question Yes you can replace the studs but you will have to take it to a shop an press the hub off an new one on...When doing it make sure you replace all 4 on that side good luck...Oh most shops charge 100 bucks to do this

Kaiser
08-18-2008, 09:13 PM
I have always use Anti-sieze on all of my cars so the threads do not dry out. Please remember that if your tighten a dry thread it will give you a false reading as well.
My recommendation is to use a little bit to keep the threads from getting stuck.
Just my $0.02.

Anti-Seize has been repeatedly shown to lead to lug-wiggle, where nuts will come loose and cause your studs to shatter as the wheel is loose. Just because it hasn't happened to you yet doesn't mean it won't.

Next, tightening on SOLID DRY STUDS will not give a false torque reading. The only thing that will give a false torque reading on a dry stud is the threads being damaged and starting to fold. If this is the case, it's time to replace the studs anyways. It's easy to check when this happens because you can feel it with a torque wrench, it'll feel mushy even when the wheel is firmly seated on the hub.

Last, if the lugnuts came off and the shop was the last one to put it on. GO SEE THE SHOP AND TELL THEM THEY BROKE IT. Normal wear and tear will NEVER cause your studs to break off like that. Studs are designed to last as long as they aren't abused. I have seen 25-30 year old cars with original studs in good condition. I have also seen 2-3 year old cars with studs that you can barely get a lugnut on without it grinding out metal shavings because the threads are so damaged from abuse.

wwli
08-18-2008, 10:39 PM
I agree with you on some part. However this using of Anti-seize is a highly debated subject where there is no correct or wrong answer. Some have good experiences with it and some don't so it's difficult to say. Using too much of it will cause damage and incorrect use will cause damage so basically use at your own risk.

If you want to make it easier and not listen to other people's BS then you can just keep the studs clean. Then you won't have to use anything.

What Kaiser said on the last part that will be difficult to prove that they did it because shops are tricky but you sometimes get lucky so go luck with that.

Anti-Seize has been repeatedly shown to lead to lug-wiggle, where nuts will come loose and cause your studs to shatter as the wheel is loose. Just because it hasn't happened to you yet doesn't mean it won't.

Next, tightening on SOLID DRY STUDS will not give a false torque reading. The only thing that will give a false torque reading on a dry stud is the threads being damaged and starting to fold. If this is the case, it's time to replace the studs anyways. It's easy to check when this happens because you can feel it with a torque wrench, it'll feel mushy even when the wheel is firmly seated on the hub.

Last, if the lugnuts came off and the shop was the last one to put it on. GO SEE THE SHOP AND TELL THEM THEY BROKE IT. Normal wear and tear will NEVER cause your studs to break off like that. Studs are designed to last as long as they aren't abused. I have seen 25-30 year old cars with original studs in good condition. I have also seen 2-3 year old cars with studs that you can barely get a lugnut on without it grinding out metal shavings because the threads are so damaged from abuse.

primespark22
08-18-2008, 11:07 PM
yeah i went ahead and got the four studs for that side and did the work myself but thanks for the input fellas

so do i or dont i put grease?lol

Kaiser
08-19-2008, 10:49 PM
yeah i went ahead and got the four studs for that side and did the work myself but thanks for the input fellas

so do i or dont i put grease?lol

Why would you put GREASE? If you INSIST on putting something, Antiseize is alot better solution than grease. However I want you to consider two scenarios:

A.) Studs are greased and lugs wiggle loose, tire comes loose at high speed, causing lugs to shatter from the force and the wheel to seperate, crashing the hub into the road at high speeds with lots of force, causing a loss of control and who knows what else could happen.

B.) Studs seize up and snap when you're trying to remove them safely at home in the garage or when someone at a tire/lube shop tries to remove them. Either way, car is stationary somewhere that you can easily replace the lugs again.

Of course, you can prevent both of those by carefully keeping the studs clean and free of rust, making sure that the lugs aren't over-torqued which will cause the stud threads to lean over and cause the lug to fit loosely or cause them to cross thread. With some basic care the studs will be perfectly fine for longer than you'll probably keep the car.

Also: If all that happened was that his studs broke when he went home, he could have probably had them fix it. Most shops do not want the bad publicity or problems that come from that, considering how CHEAP the fix is. It would also not be that hard to prove, as long as there's paperwork showing they were the last ones to touch them, he goes to remove them and they snap, trust me that's easy to see a connection with.

khaxnguyen
08-20-2008, 07:24 AM
you broke your studs because you didnt let the lug studs cool down after driving it. common mistake

primespark22
08-20-2008, 11:02 PM
i didnt mean greaselike that but the stuff you guys talking bout anti watever lol j/k and no i got home around 11 in the morning and started working on it till aound 430,well thanxs anyways fellas i got it done now i got some other problems lol:no:

turbob20
08-21-2008, 03:18 AM
never put anything on your wheel studs. if that was so it would be recomended from the factory. what happened is more than likely they didnt start the nuts by hand first and just hit them and crossed them all the way up. i would personally took it back to them and said fix your f@@k up! but thats just me.

AnthonyF
08-21-2008, 07:51 AM
Just my $0.02.

That might be the case for people who take their wheels off every 50-100k miles. But if your wheels come on and off quite often, do not use it.

never put anything on your wheel studs. if that was so it would be recomended from the factory. what happened is more than likely they didnt start the nuts by hand first and just hit them and crossed them all the way up. i would personally took it back to them and said fix your f@@k up! but thats just me.
exactly.

you broke your studs because you didnt let the lug studs cool down after driving it. common mistake
What? These are street cars, the stud gets up to what temp? maybe 150º? We test drive cars nice and long at my shop and then we pull them in and remove the nuts. Only time they break is when the idiot before use jammed them on and cross threaded them.

-Ant.