PDA

View Full Version : NO Import Showdown Drag Racing In the FALL

B18c1Turboed
08-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Annoucement: Import Showdown Drag Racing To Return in Spring 2009

We've decided to skip the Fall 2008 drag racing, and choose instead to return in the Spring of 2009 (with an expected Fall 2009 as well of course). I'm sure this will generate a few rumors, let me go ahead and knock a few you will like hear by saying why. Let me just say that the Import Showdown is stronger than ever, coming off of two absolutely crazy years in terms of turnout and growth of the event! We absolutely are not going away, canceling, or turning out backs on this event!

1) The Import Showdown is entirely volunteer run. What most people don't see is the 100s of hours put in before each event to get everything scheduled, promoted, designed, etc, etc. Due to other commitments, a number of key volunteers simply do not have the time needed to make the commitment.

2) We are actually restructuring (both figuratively and legally) the Import Showdown to allow us to actually do more things, but won't be complete in time to do a Fall drag race. This will mean great things, but with some short term pain.

3) There were a handful of other challenges and organization issues (track scheduling for example) which would have made the task of putting this together in time harder. Which combined with #1 and #2 taking so much of our already limited time, we decided we needed to make it easier, not harder.

I'm sure this annoucement will upset a few people, but it's all for the best. The support for this event has always been amazing and we look forward to continuing to bring the best sportsman drag racing event to the southeast! This will give us the opportunity to come back bigger and stronger for 2009! We have some VERY, VERY big plans for 2009. In fact, we're still going to do events this year, as we are still actively planning out 2008 Track Day (Road course). Expect an annoucement with scheduling and some details very soon regarding this.
To kill some rumors:

1) No, we're not giving up. No.
2) No, we're not hurting for sponsors or attendees. We have had better turnout than we ever have had over the past few events
3) No, we're not tired of doing it. In fact, we want it bigger and better!
4) No, Track days aren't replacing drag days. Track Days, by volume of work is 1/10th the effort of the drag days. This is the only reason we are still able to get one together this year.
5) No, the Import Showdown is not being sold - it's being run by the same people who have always brought you the Import Showdown.

Once again, to those disappointed I truly apologize we had to come to this decisions and all I can do is assure you once again, we will be back, and we will be better and bigger than before!

Racing has taken a 5hit this year!!!

SPOOLIN
08-15-2008, 06:58 PM
what the hell ever.

B18c1Turboed
08-15-2008, 07:03 PM
LINK
http://www.importshowdown.com/

Member31410
08-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Oh well. I guess I'll have one more day of vacation to spend on something else.

SPOOLIN
08-15-2008, 11:32 PM
yay lets cancel one of the best events in the southeast for no good reason.

KevinT707
08-16-2008, 01:41 AM
.. I was really looking forward to this event too ..

Maniacc
08-16-2008, 01:49 AM
.. I was really looking forward to this event too ..
As was I. Since the two years that I've been going to Import Showdown the event has always been awesome! It was one of my very first events that I attended and actually raced. Sucks that they're skipping it this year.

WalkS
08-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Oh well, i guess I'll have more time to finish my engine then. Was definitely looking forward to it this fall.

Lusos
08-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Well this sucks; I guess I won't be able to work tech inspection this year again and see what all everyone is running under their hoods. :D

psychoward
09-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Well that just blows big monkey balls. Just another upset this year.