PDA

View Full Version : Odd things have Happened!

pInoy_R
08-14-2008, 11:15 PM
Honda Civic Ex 2001

Haven't been on the forums for a while. Last time 2006 :D. Thought I'd come back and ask a few questions to everyone. So here is what had happened...

I had been driving my car and I heard some popping noises from the front axels. I was like okay, maybe my suspension. I got some Eibachs adjustable springs and was like, okay not resolving the issue.

Called a few friends of mine and some said my axel. So I bought new axels and replaced them. When I had replaced the front passenger, I had a leak. transmission fluid was actually flowing out and slowly. I was very busy with work and decided to myself I'll refill it later.

Month and Months go by and I realize my gears are getting harder. I took it to a shop and asked them to top-off my transmission fluid and all was good. My problem was though it still had a leak so it was only temporary.

When it got low again, I took it to another shop. This because when it gets low in fluids it would pop out of 5th gear when accelerating. Only 5th gear was the issue. I figured it solved it the first time, I haven't heard anything to indicate anything else. This fix that worked the first time didn't resolve the issue.

So, I decided since my clutch is giving me difficulties getting into gear, which I figured okay 100k miles factory clutch, I'll get it replaced. Got it replaced and had them refill my transmission fluid. Apparently we found out that my car takes motor oil from a 2008 Car Information Book, states that my car takes 10w30. So I was like okay lets go with the book.

Well out of all that, the issue still exists. After I got my clutch and the new fluid. Since it was still having the same issues I've decided to get GM Syncromesh because I heard so many good things about it. Also, checked other forums and some guy had the same issue and he also had replaced a CV-Axel. Didn't work.

After that didn't work. I decided to find out why I had the leak. I took out the axel and took it back and said it was to short. Apparently that was right. It was an inch and a quarter shorter then it should of been. It was the same part that they gave me just a manufacturers defected part.

I called another friend of mine. I told him this story. He tells me that since so many fluids have been mixing together, its not good. I agree with him. It probably is having an effect on it all. I called the first place where I got the fluid where it fixed it the first time. Apparently it was Automatic Transmission Fluid. The one after that was Motor Oil cause it was as fluid as motor oil when I was changing it out. Anyone got any ideas? Or where I can go to get my transmission completely flushed out?

I've called a couple of places but all want to say its major damage. I can see it being major damage if it didn't hold at all. I drive home from Atlanta in 5th gear playing with the gas when I feel it will let itself loose and pop out. It works fine just not holding like it should.

Anyone got any ideas or suggestions? I'm up for anything. :???:

gsrteg
08-15-2008, 03:14 PM
do the manual transmission flush urself...stick with OEM HONDA MANUAL TRANSMISSION FLUID (Sold at honda or acura dealer)!!! To properly flush:

1. Jack up car and secure it properly with stands, and block rear wheels with wood etc.. (Safety first). Make sure the driver side of the car a lil higher than passenger side to drain fluid better.

2.Drain out the old fluid, by removing the drain bolt (theres two bolts, open the correct one) put a pan under to collect old fluid.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x45/whoasnoopy/tf1.jpg

3. Once drained, plug back the drain bolt.

4. Remove the filler bolt, and fill in GENUINE MANUAL TRANS. FLUID (using engine oil can cause stiffer shifting) with a funnel and tube. Fill till it spills out to the filler hole! Must allign to the threads on the filler hole (below for refer..)

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x45/whoasnoopy/tf2.jpg

5. Bolt the filler plug back, put wheels on and run/drive for a day.

6. Next day, drain and refill again...to flush the transmission.

Hope this helps.

pInoy_R
08-15-2008, 04:54 PM
I drained it out before. I just didn't think about constantly draining it out. This should remove all the other crap thats inside. Well thats the idea? To flush it out until all the excess fluids of the other types of fluids are gone. Day by day?

wwli
08-16-2008, 04:23 AM
It don't matter if you had ATF in there or not. ATF is actually a good detergent to clean the internals out but having too much can cause excessive wear because the gears are not getting the proper lubrication.

I guess you never use ATF in your engine before huh? You can use it if your engine is noisy or getting old. It cleans out the internals very good. Most use Sea foam but ATF works just as good. It's know that mechanics use a mixture of ATF and MTF in Honda's and other cars that use engine oil in their trannies to make things smoother.

Anyways back to the point, since you found the problem then just replace it with Honda MTF or with the Penns Oil Syncromesh or with regular 10w30 motor oil which ever you want to use. I would go with the Syncromesh IMO.

Make sure you got the correct Axle seals for your axle in your tranny.

Gutling
08-16-2008, 07:30 AM
so you had a leak for months and months, and it actually ran low enough a few times to cause transmission problems. your transmission might just be fuked. Why didnt you fix the leak instead of just topping it off then forgetting about it?

pInoy_R
08-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Got busy work 2 jobs, had no time to work on it. I finally got the chance to work on it though. I replaced the axle and it no longer leaks.

I really doubt my transmission is gone, I still ride in 5th gear without it popping out of place. Just when putting to much pressure on it pops out. Like its to slippery without getting a grip on the gear, but it has started to get better at holding the gear with riding on the last flush I've done. Its been a month and it holds a lot better, than it did.

I'll try it again this weekend. And No I haven't used ATF in my engine before. My mechanic told me he uses ATF in his truck, so I didn't think that would be it. It had a total of a week: Gear Fluid, ATF, Motor Oil, and MTF. So not knowing where exactly is the problem, but I'll flush it again since it seems to be holding into gear better then it was when I had first put all these fluids in.