PDA

View Full Version : Going to College outta State-take 2

Reaper
08-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Idk what happened w/the other thread, but long story short I wanna go back to college. But I'm going to go out of state(obviously). Unfortunately my grades at my last 2 schools weren't the best, so I have a terrible GPA and there is not chance of transfer. I want to start fresh, can I just apply as a beginning freshman? I can get into the school of my choice from my highschool GPA and SAT, but would I get into trouble if I didn't send my transcripts? Would they even find out? Does it even matter?

I'm 21. If that makes any difference and I haven't been in school since this time last year.

Thanks

BKgen®
08-14-2008, 04:04 PM
nobody cares.

ps.- they let you into college?

blaknoize
08-14-2008, 04:07 PM
OSU BICH!!!!

School is somewhat picky, but if u actually TALK to the financial aid reps or just the people themselves and let them know whats up, the school will admit ur retarded azz.

Then u can graduate knowing that u came from the one and only The Ohio State University.

cornercarver78
08-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Idk what happened w/the other thread, but long story short I wanna go back to college. But I'm going to go out of state(obviously). Unfortunately my grades at my last 2 schools weren't the best, so I have a terrible GPA and there is not chance of transfer. I want to start fresh, can I just apply as a beginning freshman? I can get into the school of my choice from my highschool GPA and SAT, but would I get into trouble if I didn't send my transcripts? Would they even find out? Does it even matter?

I'm 21. If that makes any difference and I haven't been in school since this time last year.

Thanks

Honestly, i'm not 100% on this, but i don't think the college work you've done so far can be disregarded. You can't really "start over", but you might be able to transfer anyway, call up the schools your interested in and ask if they can work with you. Plus, why do you want to go to school out of state? Have you thought about going to a 2 year school for a while? You could get your gpa up quicker probably, and it's cheaper. Then you could transfer out of state/ GL

Reaper
08-14-2008, 04:25 PM
Honestly, i'm not 100% on this, but i don't think the college work you've done so far can be disregarded. You can't really "start over", but you might be able to transfer anyway, call up the schools your interested in and ask if they can work with you. Plus, why do you want to go to school out of state? Have you thought about going to a 2 year school for a while? You could get your gpa up quicker probably, and it's cheaper. Then you could transfer out of state/ GL

I went to Valdosta for a year
I went to Gordon(2 year school) for a year

Neither of which I really cared about and I haven't exactly "applied" myself, and now I am wishing I had. Either way, I want to go back to school and I'm going out of state due to work and what not.

Reaper
08-14-2008, 04:33 PM
nobody cares.

ps.- they let you into college?

I went to valdosta on a baseball scholarship and then I tore up my rotator cuff and can't play any more:(

Alan®
08-14-2008, 06:18 PM
I really don't think that it can be ignored. i think your best bet is to call wherever it is you want to go and talk to them about the best route for you to go. Good luck though man. Just try to concentrate.

DO NOT PAY ATTENTION TO THE PICS BELOW!!

FOCUS ON SCHOOL

CAN YOU DO IT?

REALLY??!!!??!

I SAID DON'T LOOK

Lucky DAWG
08-14-2008, 07:03 PM
No offense man, but if you haven't simply called a school to find this information out or read it on the website then i doubt your work ethic to go back to school. I honestly would not spend the money unless you really think you are going to turn it around this time.

Your highschool GPA and SAT does not matter.

Most schools after your first year or sometimes second only consider College GPA when transferring. UGA the second you enter college only looks at college. I am transferring there in the spring from South Carolina and they only want my last 1 year of college, no highschool stuff.

What do you mean get in trouble? you won't even be considered without a college transcript, there will be room to get in trouble because you won't be admitted to begin with.

Honestly man, you are in a very bad boat, do a lot of research. Where is it you plan on going out of state?

and how bad of a GPA are we talking?

I'm trying to tell you it how it is and to get on the ball if you really want this, i'm not trying to be a **** but sometimes putting some fear in you is necessary

redrumracer
08-14-2008, 07:10 PM
As long as you dont need financial aid you can get by without telling them about the other schools. Although this would be considering lying and if they find out they can kick you out for being dishonest on your app. now if you need financial aid and dont tell them then they will tell you that they need the transcripts from your previous colleges.

i know this because i did this and went through it(with out the getting kicked out part.)

Lucky DAWG
08-14-2008, 07:14 PM
As long as you dont need financial aid you can get by without telling them about the other schools. Although this would be considering lying and if they find out they can kick you out for being dishonest on your app. now if you need financial aid and dont tell them then they will tell you that they need the transcripts from your previous colleges.

i know this because i did this and went through it(with out the getting kicked out part.)

you are required to send transcripts to prove your estimated College GPA at 99% of colleges. I don't know where you went to school.

Tarzanman
08-14-2008, 07:17 PM
If your GPA is really bad, then most mid-sized schools will make you pay your dues at a smaller school or community college until you bring your grades back up.

Community college is the only place you can 'fail out' where they will still let you back in (as long as you gots da money!)

redrumracer
08-14-2008, 07:29 PM
you are required to send transcripts to prove your estimated College GPA at 99% of colleges. I don't know where you went to school.
First Florence Darlington Tech. got a horrible GPA there
then
Athens Tech College good gpa
then after building up GPA Transferred
Middle Georgia College

When i Applied to ATC i NEVER told them about any other schooling and enrolled as a first time student and payed out of pocket. Then when i applied to MGC I had to disclose FDTC because i needed financial aid.

Now if you applied in state with in the Georgia University system then i would imagine they already know what school you went to. but out of state dont worry about it unless you need financial aid. dont confuse financial aid with getting a private loan for school.

Lucky DAWG
08-14-2008, 07:34 PM
First Florence Darlington Tech. got a horrible GPA there
then
Athens Tech College good gpa
then after building up GPA Transferred
Middle Georgia College

When i Applied to ATC i NEVER told them about any other schooling and enrolled as a first time student and payed out of pocket. Then when i applied to MGC I had to disclose FDTC because i needed financial aid.

Now if you applied in state with in the Georgia University system then i would imagine they already know what school you went to. but out of state dont worry about it unless you need financial aid. dont confuse financial aid with getting a private loan for school.

it has nothing to do with financial aid though.

Most school want to know your GPA so they can boast about how smart their student body is and in turn get more funding.

Most schools need a transcript to determine your grades.

UGA doesnt know i went to south carolina, i have to send them my transcript, they have no idea what my grades are like. Without my transcript they would not be able to make sure i have atleast a 3.2 to get in.

Trust me Reaper, you need to send your transcripts to most places. If you don't then your status check online will just say "incomplete", you will get denied simply because you didn't fulfill all requirements for the application.

ironchef
08-14-2008, 07:42 PM

Most school want to know your GPA so they can boast about how smart their student body is and in turn get more funding.

UGA doesnt know i went to south carolina, i have to send them my transcript, they have no idea what my grades are like. Without my transcript they would not be able to make sure i have atleast a 3.2 to get in.

Trust me Reaper, you need to send your transcripts to most places. If you don't then your status check online will just say "incomplete", you will get denied simply because you didn't fulfill all requirements for the application.3.2? How many hours did you have?

redrumracer
08-14-2008, 07:48 PM
Trust me Reaper, you need to send your transcripts to most places. If you don't then your status check online will just say "incomplete", you will get denied simply because you didn't fulfill all requirements for the application.
Yes if you tell them that you have already attended college somewhere else then they will ask for the transcripts. if you dont tell them they wont know. The only way MGC found out about Florence Darlington Tech is because FINANCIAL AID said they needed my transcript from there to determine y eligibility for financial aid, and because of that the school found out that i had previously attended college and also requested a copy of my transcript.
Also when i went to Athens Tech they had NO clue that i had already attended college somewhere else. I got into there solely based on my high school gpa and SAT score, that also worked at MGC. they didnt find out about FDTC until AFTER i was accepted.
Trust me i have been there and DONE the same exact thing.

Lucky DAWG
08-14-2008, 08:05 PM
3.2? How many hours did you have?

I have a 3.4 right now after 33 hours.

The minimum is a 3.2

It will be a 3.7 after i retake a course i bombed, grade forgiveness program because i had the worst teacher imaginable

Lucky DAWG
08-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Yes if you tell them that you have already attended college somewhere else then they will ask for the transcripts. if you dont tell them they wont know. The only way MGC found out about Florence Darlington Tech is because FINANCIAL AID said they needed my transcript from there to determine y eligibility for financial aid, and because of that the school found out that i had previously attended college and also requested a copy of my transcript.
Also when i went to Athens Tech they had NO clue that i had already attended college somewhere else. I got into there solely based on my high school gpa and SAT score, that also worked at MGC. they didnt find out about FDTC until AFTER i was accepted.
Trust me i have been there and DONE the same exact thing.

I guess so.

but if you say that you didn't go straight to college you have to explain what you have been doing since then to show you have atleast been productive.

I mean its risky but i guess all he has to lose is getting accepted. And he will be exactly where he is right now. Would suck to go though and get a year under your belt and then them find out, all for nothing. An honor code violation like that could not only get you kicked out of that school, but could potentially keep you from going anywhere else for quite some time.

redrumracer
08-14-2008, 08:10 PM
I guess so.

but if you say that you didn't go straight to college you have to explain what you have been doing since then to show you have atleast been productive.

I mean its risky but i guess all he has to lose is getting accepted. And he will be exactly where he is right now. Would suck to go though and get a year under your belt and then them find out, all for nothing. An honor code violation like that could not only get you kicked out of that school, but could potentially keep you from going anywhere else for quite some time.
i agree with that bolded statement 100%
And when they asked what i was doing i just told them i was figuring out what i wanted to do. being 21 it could be really believable but not if your like 28 or something like that. But if you dont tell them then you are gambling and taking a risk, its up to you whether or not its worth it.

cornercarver78
08-14-2008, 08:12 PM
I have a 3.4 right now after 33 hours.

The minimum is a 3.2

It will be a 3.7 after i retake a course i bombed, grade forgiveness program because i had the worst teacher imaginable

never heard of that, I've got 30 hours and would have a 4.0 if it wasn't for failing japanese. Is that a common program?

redrumracer
08-14-2008, 08:16 PM
never heard of that, I've got 30 hours and would have a 4.0 if it wasn't for failing japanese. Is that a common program?
as far as i know the grade forgiveness program is pretty darn common. but i think you have to retake the same class the next semester or else it wont count.

cornercarver78
08-14-2008, 08:22 PM
as far as i know the grade forgiveness program is pretty darn common. but i think you have to retake the same class the next semester or else it wont count.

wow, I'm registered to take spanish this semester because i didn't want to take the chance of failing japn again, but if i can replace the f it may be worth the risk. Researching now, glad i saw this thanks.

Reaper
08-14-2008, 09:12 PM
Ok first off, I read it on the website and it has nothing on there. Second I decided to go back tonight, there offices are closed, therefore I can't talk to any one just yet. I posted just to see what ya'll thought not to be told I have no work ethic.

My GPA is unfortunately a 1.6

It has nothing to do as to whether I am smart enough or not, I just had other interests when in school. I made my fair share of mistakes and I'm paying for it now. I have no real need for school right now b/c my professions do not require it. But it'd be a nice fall back....and I wanna get outta this f*cking town.

Lucky DAWG
08-14-2008, 09:17 PM
Ok first off, I read it on the website and it has nothing on there. Second I decided to go back tonight, there offices are closed, therefore I can't talk to any one just yet. I posted just to see what ya'll thought not to be told I have no work ethic.

My GPA is unfortunately a 1.6

It has nothing to do as to whether I am smart enough or not, I just had other interests when in school. I made my fair share of mistakes and I'm paying for it now. I have no real need for school right now b/c my professions do not require it. But it'd be a nice fall back....and I wanna get outta this f*cking town.

what school are you trying to go to and what is your highschool GPA and SAT.

I'll gladly tell you all that i know because i have spent hours calling people at UGA, Texas, and Georgetown. I have asked questions upon questions upon questions so that i have a 10 year plan. I ****ed around in highschool and pretty much applied to the SEC plus Clemson and Florida State and then visited what i got into, stupid as hell. Kind of worked out but i got lucky.

I'm pretty confident i can answer any question you have, i have been talking to admissions people constantly. I'm basing my living situation at USC on going to UGA in the spring, so i have made sure the plan is full proof.

The best thing for you to do is show up in person, professionaly dressed and show your dedication. Not going to lie, a 1.6 is abysmal. You are going to have to cover it up and hope for the best. Put a face to the name and show that you are ambitious and charismatic

If you tell me what schools you want to go to i can help you better

Lucky DAWG
08-14-2008, 09:18 PM

Yup. You have to take it the next semester you are enrolled there, if you do it in spring that fall you must take it for example. (atleast i think they won't make you take it in the summer).

And to my knowledge most colleges do this.

They limit it to 2 classes throughout your college career at USC

cornercarver78
08-14-2008, 09:24 PM
^ meh, i can't find anything on my catalog about it (i go to gainesville), but i may call about it tomorrow. Worth looking into, I may just say forget it though. Foreign language
is a weak point for me, and spanish must be easier.

Reaper
08-14-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm 21. I've been to college, didn't work for me @ the time...I've grown up a bit. I own my own business, I'm a personal trainer, I work in commercial real estate etc...but I feel that your given more respect w/a degree.

My highschool GPA was a 3.3
My SAT was a 1150
My ACT was a 23(that thing sucked)

I graduated in 05, I didn't give a sh*t then just like I didnt care when I was at Valdosta after I blew out my shoulder, which then everything just went down hill.

I'm extremely professional so putting a name to a face isn't an issue.

And I'm wanting to go to Troy University for the time being then maybe Auburn or something. But I'd like to get out of Ga.

Lucky DAWG
08-14-2008, 10:37 PM
I'm 21. I've been to college, didn't work for me @ the time...I've grown up a bit. I own my own business, I'm a personal trainer, I work in commercial real estate etc...but I feel that your given more respect w/a degree.

My highschool GPA was a 3.3
My SAT was a 1150
My ACT was a 23(that thing sucked)

I graduated in 05, I didn't give a sh*t then just like I didnt care when I was at Valdosta after I blew out my shoulder, which then everything just went down hill.

I'm extremely professional so putting a name to a face isn't an issue.

And I'm wanting to go to Troy University for the time being then maybe Auburn or something. But I'd like to get out of Ga.

those highschool grades should be able to get you straight into Auburn. I had a 3.2 in highschool (grant it was a highly competitive private school with a college counseler that got an award for being the best in the southeast) but Auburn sent me a email like 3 days later saying i got in.

a 3.3 should be fine, you should be able to skip Troy if that is just a stepping stone to get to Auburn.

And just explain to them you are an entrepreneur, that will look great and explain what you have been doing all this time. You should be okay as long as they don't find out about your college experience.

And Tommy H. Tuberville is gonna get his ass kicked this year.

Reaper
08-15-2008, 09:27 AM
those highschool grades should be able to get you straight into Auburn. I had a 3.2 in highschool (grant it was a highly competitive private school with a college counseler that got an award for being the best in the southeast) but Auburn sent me a email like 3 days later saying i got in.

a 3.3 should be fine, you should be able to skip Troy if that is just a stepping stone to get to Auburn.

And just explain to them you are an entrepreneur, that will look great and explain what you have been doing all this time. You should be okay as long as they don't find out about your college experience.

And Tommy H. Tuberville is gonna get his ass kicked this year.

See thats just it they can't find out about my previous history...can they? How would they? If I go in as a "beginning freshman"....

I want to go to Troy for business purposes(I know it sounds crazy but there is a big commercial property opportunity) and I figure since I'm going to spend so much time down there I may as well go to school while I'm at it.

I know I'll be fine getting into school and what not with my highschool grades and everything, but I'm more concerned about my previous college transcripts and if theres any possible way they could find out.

Thanks for all the help! Reps:goodjob: