PDA

View Full Version : Misc Condo vs. House?

AWD OWNZ U
08-29-2005, 09:44 AM
I already made my choice but it was something I was curious about. Maybe it's the area I'm in (NW of downtown ATL) and the fact that I'm from out of state but it seems to me like a lot of houses around here have issues. Be it problems with mold or termites or just plain falling apart. Is it really hard to find a decent house (that's not new or $$$) here or am I missing something? On the other side there seem to be quite a few reasonably priced and decent shape condos.

JC

civic95
08-29-2005, 10:42 AM
There are a lot of nice houses around. What is your price range? maybe thats the problem. Condos are cheaper than a house because you have no land. Really it depends on how you look at it. The association fee on a condo or townhouse is way more than a house usually. So a 170K condo vs: 190K house may not really be cheaper in the long run. Houses are like cars. Some people don't take care of them, and others do. The only reason condos are appearing nicer is because it takes the owner out of the equation. The HOA pays for someone to paint, landscape, spray for bugs, etc and they make sure its done on a schedule.

Which one is better? Its all personal preference. If you don't like to do things yourself or don't have a lot of free time a condo is probably better. If you don't mind doing things yourself to save money, enjoy having your own land, and want some kind of privacy get a house.

Jaimecbr900
08-29-2005, 03:01 PM
It may be because you are looking in the wrong place or with the wrong person.

I have been in Real Estate for a long time. I have seen some dog shacks and I've seen mansions. To be honest, the vast majority of homes you see have some minor imperfections here and there (even new homes) but it's not anything major. Condos seem better taken care of because of what Civic95 said, the HOA takes care of all the outside stuff.

Again, to be honest I've seen homes in other states and I'd much rather live here than there. As far as I've personally seen, we get a lot for our dollar here. I've seen homes in Cali, Nevada, Texas, etc. where $500k barely gets you a decent house where here it can get you a mansion. Then you start looking and you get almost no property, shoddy construction, and pay outrageous amounts of money for taxes.

AWD OWNZ U
08-29-2005, 08:03 PM
I already bought I condo, I don't have time for the maintenance on a house. I'm from Nevada so most everything seems cheap here. It just seems that due to the climate there a lot of homes with problems. I was just wondering if it was my perception or reality I guess?

Jaimecbr900
08-30-2005, 11:08 AM
I think its definetly your perception.

There is always something technically wrong with every house, even new construction. If you extremely OCD about something, you will always find something. In my experience, the majority of things people fret over and loose sleep over as a major problem in a house turns out to be an easy fix or nothing to worry about in the first place. I've had people complain that homes are too close together, yet they don't want to do any yard work???? Hmmm, how's that work???? LOL.

Point is that it sounds like you made the right decision for you. You didn't want to have to maintain a place and therefore a condo is the best option for you.

4dmin
08-30-2005, 12:36 PM
Condos to me see like something you would buy if you want a beach front property, or a low maintanance place for the single person / person on the go. They don't seem like family material. IMO

AWD OWNZ U
08-30-2005, 09:10 PM
I think its definetly your perception.

There is always something technically wrong with every house, even new construction. If you extremely OCD about something, you will always find something. In my experience, the majority of things people fret over and loose sleep over as a major problem in a house turns out to be an easy fix or nothing to worry about in the first place. I've had people complain that homes are too close together, yet they don't want to do any yard work???? Hmmm, how's that work???? LOL.

Point is that it sounds like you made the right decision for you. You didn't want to have to maintain a place and therefore a condo is the best option for you.

Haha, I was a Quality Engineer I'm certainly good at noticing at every little flaw in something. Thanks for the insight. :)

Condos to me see like something you would buy if you want a beach front property, or a low maintanance place for the single person / person on the go. They don't seem like family material. IMO

I'm a 22 year old single college student so I don't have to worry about room for a family. :)

chmura
09-13-2005, 11:06 AM
Condos are great..when u have them in florida....... apart from that houses all the way

looking from investor point of view.. resale, refi, etc...