PDA

View Full Version : Misc Any other pilots on IA?

deathrex
08-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Just wondering if there were any other pilots here on IA. If so what current certificates do you hold? What airplanes do you fly or have flown? Are you trying to go for more certificates? :goodjob:

Spektrewing386
08-12-2008, 11:06 PM
i will be a pilot once i get enough money to get lessons, which is very soon.

but right now im just a pilot at heart........ and in Microsoft FSX.

deathrex
08-13-2008, 12:05 AM
i will be a pilot once i get enough money to get lessons, which is very soon.

but right now im just a pilot at heart........ and in Microsoft FSX.

Good luck! Choose the right flight school. The one im at now is ripping me off real bad :2up: so im switching to ATP to finish my private and go for my ifr single, IFR twin, CFI, MEI, and single and twin commercials. If you plan on being a commercial pilot, its one of the best schools to go to IMO. They offer you a job+ housing to work for them after you complete their training. It helps build the hours as a CFI,MEI to get your hours to work for a jet liner. They have a contract with 10 airlines that hire graduates from their school. Plus free jet training while you work for them. :goodjob: Housing in an apartment is included while your in training, its included in the cost of the school. Its 8995 for the private including housing plus all books and required test. Its also 68k for the airline transport pilot training it takes you all the way from 0 hours to an atp. but it pays off quick. Im going through flight school instead of college. They just opened up two locations in atlanta at PDK (dekalb peachtree) and KLZU (lawrenceville Brisco field). Im gunna finish up my Private over at KLZU then move over to riverside CA for my commercials. You should definately look into their web sight to get more info its http://www.atpflightschool.com/ Good luck when you start! :goodjob: once you start its almost impossible to stop youll want to fly every day. :cheers:

Spektrewing386
08-13-2008, 12:14 AM
im not looking to be a ATP, but i thought the best way was through college, a high school friend of mine is at Auburn to be a transport pilot. I dont really like the big heavy planes. Im more into smaller planes. So im just going to finish college/get my license and see whats next from there. Id think it be sweet to one day to be part of or own a buisness that just takes people up in the sky and do aerobatics for them or be a tourist pilot in some exotic location.

VooDooXII
08-13-2008, 12:45 AM
I mean...I drive a SAAB...Born From Jets?

Hah, I'd love to learn how to fly.

deathrex
08-13-2008, 11:13 AM

haha thats very true on the SAAB. Depending on what school you choose, learning how to fly can be very affordable. its a lot of fun. you should definately go up on a discovery flight its arround $80-100 at most schools and can be logged as your first hour of flight. basically the instructor will take you arround for the preflight of the airplane take you up in the air give you the controls and you fly the airplane. :goodjob:

Spektrewing386
08-13-2008, 12:30 PM
yeah ive been on 2 of those flights long time ago, i dont know how, but the guy flying with me allowed us to get withing like 250 meters of another airplane. I could see the guy inside and the tail number!

Brick
08-13-2008, 06:51 PM
03CobraAV8R, Rick....where's he at?

cactusEG
08-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Just wondering if there were any other pilots here on IA. If so what current certificates do you hold? What airplanes do you fly or have flown? Are you trying to go for more certificates? :goodjob:

I think redrumracer is :thinking:

quickdodgeŽ
08-13-2008, 07:08 PM

Thread title is misleading. You're asking if there are any OTHER pilots on here as if you are currently one. From reading your posts, you're not one yet.

Myself, I have 12 hours towards a pilot's license. But that was 11 years ago so I'd have to start over over. My grandfather is/was a pilot. Because of his health, he had to give up flying. Two months ago, he sold both of his airplanes. We used to fly everywhere in those things. I miss them, that's for sure. Later, QD.

Kevykev
08-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Nice, Being a Pilot is pretty prestigious.

:lmfao:

redrumracer
08-13-2008, 07:21 PM
I think redrumracer is :thinking:
yes in the process, I go to Middle Georgia College for Aviation Management(that what i believe it is called). Im about to get my PPL once im done with all my x-countries(next week). This semester im taking Instrument.

redrumracer
08-13-2008, 07:22 PM
oh and so far i have flown a piper warrior and one of the v tail bonanza's

slostang
08-13-2008, 07:36 PM
I've taken a few flying lessons. I've got about 7 hours logged sofar in a cessna 182 skyhawk.

redrumracer
08-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Oh and deathrex you might want to rethink the ATP school. its a good school and all, but ive been told that a good number of companies dont actually like to hire from them because they dont have enough flying "experience". just passing on what i heard. Also you really should get a 4 year degree. itll add up to a difference to being qualified and competitive.

Spektrewing386
08-13-2008, 08:23 PM
so how do you guys get experience without actually being hired? you just shell out money for your own fuel and on your own time?

redrumracer
08-13-2008, 09:02 PM
so how do you guys get experience without actually being hired? you just shell out money for your own fuel and on your own time?
Im talking about the airliners. One of the best ways to build time is to do flight instruction, or if you have enough hours aerial photography will get you LOTS of hours. Also what I mean by experience is mainly different types of weather. ATP is a really fast program so you might not have had the chance to fly in as many different weather conditions as opposed to a flight school that takes over a year to do.

VooDooXII
08-13-2008, 10:41 PM
haha thats very true on the SAAB. Depending on what school you choose, learning how to fly can be very affordable. its a lot of fun. you should definately go up on a discovery flight its arround $80-100 at most schools and can be logged as your first hour of flight. basically the instructor will take you arround for the preflight of the airplane take you up in the air give you the controls and you fly the airplane. :goodjob:

That sounds like a good idea. I'll look into that, and that's not bad at all for a solid intro to flying. Rep'd. :cheers:

deathrex
08-14-2008, 02:28 AM
Oh and deathrex you might want to rethink the ATP school. its a good school and all, but ive been told that a good number of companies dont actually like to hire from them because they dont have enough flying "experience". just passing on what i heard. Also you really should get a 4 year degree. itll add up to a difference to being qualified and competitive.

ATP actually hires you on as a CFI and a MEI to build the hours that the airlines are looking for. ATP also has contracts with 10 regional airlines that hire the graduates from their school after they reach the airlines requirements for hours, and being hired on as a CFI and MEI helps a lot in that. Free hours basically. If you graduate from their school and decide to take their job offer the pay is only $2400 per month but it includes housing. While you work for them you also get free jet training. :goodjob: As far as a college degree yes it would help, but a lot of airlines no longer require a degree. I just read an artical in plane and pilot about it. The required age for retirement is 65 with the airlines, but the armed forces are only pushing 400 or less pilots per year as back when they were pushing out over 1200 per year. So the demand for pilots are high.

As for planes I've flown, piper cherokee piper cherokee six cessna c150 cessna a 152 cessna 172 and the oh so beautiful cessna 172 g1000 :bump:

as of now i have 22 hours towards my private.

slostang
08-14-2008, 02:42 AM

that's how I got my 7 hours in. the prices have gone up a lil bit bc of fuel though.

4dmin
08-14-2008, 07:57 AM
OG on IA has a helicopter license - but i'm not sure if he is posting or surfing IA anymore. Patrick from PI w/ the RX7 traded out mechanic work w/ a guy who gave him free lessons

redrumracer
08-14-2008, 10:54 AM
ATP actually hires you on as a CFI and a MEI to build the hours that the airlines are looking for. ATP also has contracts with 10 regional airlines that hire the graduates from their school after they reach the airlines requirements for hours, and being hired on as a CFI and MEI helps a lot in that. Free hours basically. If you graduate from their school and decide to take their job offer the pay is only $2400 per month but it includes housing. While you work for them you also get free jet training. :goodjob: As far as a college degree yes it would help, but a lot of airlines no longer require a degree. I just read an artical in plane and pilot about it. The required age for retirement is 65 with the airlines, but the armed forces are only pushing 400 or less pilots per year as back when they were pushing out over 1200 per year. So the demand for pilots are high.

As for planes I've flown, piper cherokee piper cherokee six cessna c150 cessna a 152 cessna 172 and the oh so beautiful cessna 172 g1000 :bump:

as of now i have 22 hours towards my private.
I do like the Diamond Jets that ATP is getting though. Id love to fly one of those for training, or pay.

deathrex
08-14-2008, 02:54 PM
The new d-jets are going to be amazing from what ive been hearing. Their supposed to be getting 20 of em end of this year and early next year. So im hoping to get the jet training in the d-jet and their cessna citations.

deathrex
08-14-2008, 03:04 PM
that's how I got my 7 hours in. the prices have gone up a lil bit bc of fuel though.

out at Lawrenceville the fuel surcharge at the FBO is $1.75 per gal. 100LL is at $6.03 today. PDK (dekalb peachtree) is at $6.80 for 100LL but jet fuel is cheaper there lol :thinking: so prices are different at each air port. If i need fuel i usually fly out to jackson county where 100LL is only at $5.27 plus theres less traffic out there so you have more room to work with. Each FBO will charge a different surcharge though.

UpSideDownDesi
08-14-2008, 03:10 PM
i got into Embry Riddel, and USAF was going pay for most of it . Sh!t happened and i had to pull out. Regret it big time. :(

redrumracer
08-14-2008, 06:57 PM
i got into Embry Riddel, and USAF was going pay for most of it . Sh!t happened and i had to pull out. Regret it big time. :(
I applied and got accepted there but no USAF paying for me. (damn me for going to a different college first.) Also its totally way too expensive for paying out of pocket, but the networking you get there for the Airlines is the best. Luckly i found Middle Georgia Colleges(used to be Georgia Aviation Technical College) program before i went out to get all those loans.

EJ25RUN
08-14-2008, 07:08 PM
trying to get into Jacksonville U for their program with Delta Connection Academy.

redrumracer
08-14-2008, 07:21 PM
trying to get into Jacksonville U for their program with Delta Connection Academy.
i was wondering how long it would take you to find this thread :D

slostang
08-14-2008, 07:28 PM
out at Lawrenceville the fuel surcharge at the FBO is $1.75 per gal. 100LL is at $6.03 today. PDK (dekalb peachtree) is at $6.80 for 100LL but jet fuel is cheaper there lol :thinking: so prices are different at each air port. If i need fuel i usually fly out to jackson county where 100LL is only at $5.27 plus theres less traffic out there so you have more room to work with. Each FBO will charge a different surcharge though.

yeah I flew out of PDK.

redrumracer
08-14-2008, 07:32 PM
What is this fuel surcharge you speak of :thinking: and gas is a lot cheaper than that for the school(tax exempt) so its like $2 a gallon from what im told because of the tax exempt status.

deathrex
08-14-2008, 08:32 PM
What is this fuel surcharge you speak of :thinking: and gas is a lot cheaper than that for the school(tax exempt) so its like $2 a gallon from what im told because of the tax exempt status.

i dunno about that. But from what im told we get charged a fuel surcharge you know the usual way to get more money out of people. But thats one of the reasons im switching schools.

redrumracer
08-14-2008, 08:37 PM
i dunno about that. But from what im told we get charged a fuel surcharge you know the usual way to get more money out of people. But thats one of the reasons im switching schools.
yea thats basically all that surcharge is. hell the rent for that planes go up because of gas but there is still that surcharge. and yea when i was told how much gas was for the school i told them they were crazy, and then a couple other people confirmed it as i just asked what we paid for fuel.

EJ25RUN
08-14-2008, 09:32 PM
i was wondering how long it would take you to find this thread :D

cant be on the site as much with this back to school nonsense im going through right now.

deathrex
08-15-2008, 09:22 PM
yea thats basically all that surcharge is. hell the rent for that planes go up because of gas but there is still that surcharge. and yea when i was told how much gas was for the school i told them they were crazy, and then a couple other people confirmed it as i just asked what we paid for fuel.

yeah the price of fuel goes up and so does the airplane rental. so i dont understand the whole surcharge part of it. Like i said basically anyone starting, watch out as they will try to get as much money out of you as they can. But some of the schools are honest. For just a private i heard American Flyers out of PDK is a really good school.

stephen
08-16-2008, 03:49 AM
oh and so far i have flown a piper warrior and one of the v tail bonanza's

how'd it feel flying the bonanza? i heard that the v-tail causes the plane to kind of "drift" up and down on the horizon, and it gives some people motion sickness. i got accepted to embry riddle when i got out of high school, but couldn't afford it. i decided to go to clayton state (for free), and got into the aircraft maintenance program. i had intentions of getting with an individual or a company, and trade work for hours, but it's kinda tough with the fuel prices. school was kind of a tease...we had 2 piper aztecs, 1 piper commanche, 1 v-tail bonanza, 1 cessna 150, 1 cessna 172, 1 of each aero commander 550 and 690, and we could run them up, but unfortunately...we were chained to the ground. maybe someday, i'll get my money together and 1 of you will be an instructor.

speedminded
08-16-2008, 07:32 AM
gt4rcdude is a commercial pilot with at least several dozen times more hours than everyones in this thread combined ;)

For those interested he's always happy to chat at meets, you can't possibly miss his car! :goodjob: