PDA

View Full Version : 98 Accord Auto "Powershifts" Help!

Atlblkz06
08-12-2008, 05:31 PM
I have a 98 Accord I4 Sedan with 90k miles on it now thats acting a bit funny.

It doesnt do this all the time, but when up-shifting, the engine will shoot up ~500RPM like its in neutral and then come back down into the next gear. The more you're accelerating, the more pronounced the effect. When gassing hard, it may go up as much as 800rpm from

Engine temp doesnt seem to affect anything either.

Ok I should check the ATF, and I'll do that in a few minutes but figured I'd ask if someone else has had this happen.

Thanks for your input

EmminoDaGreat
08-12-2008, 05:39 PM
v6?

Atlblkz06
08-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Its the 4 banger.

EmminoDaGreat
08-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Have you ever serviced the tranny? Just started happening? Check engine lights?

Atlblkz06
08-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Well this is mom's car.

I first noticed it last year when the O2 sensor light came on. It was the P0420 or whatever "Catalyst under efficiency threshold" code.

Right after I replaced all the O2 sensors, I noticed some weird hesitation when shifting but I didnt really bother.

I didn't drive for a whilethe car till this year, and mom says its been doing it for a while. Its been running this way for a good 10 months now with no CEL, no warning lights at all.

Havent really gotten any work done recently, just oil changes n such. It might be time for an ATF flush, but I dont see dirty ATF causing this.

DecoyOctopus
08-12-2008, 05:54 PM
it sounds like its slipping. usually when this starts happening theres no additives or nothing that can fix it you need a transmission rebuild kit. its a new torque converter and some ring seal type things. you dont need to take the tranny apart but its the same procedure as changing a clutch. oxygen sensors wouldnt make the rpm shoot up when you change gears.

Atlblkz06
08-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Didnt meant to make it sound like the O2 sensor was causing it.

The issues started after the sensor job, which was totally unrelated as you pointed out.

Why would it start slipping so early. Oh well, guess it'll need a rebuild. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

More comments/suggestions are definitely welcome!

EmminoDaGreat
08-12-2008, 06:34 PM
best option, unless you want to pay to have it ovehauled would be call a junkyard (f23 autos are plentiful) they shouldnt be anymore than 300$... and have someone (or install it yourself) put it in...

Tech5
08-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Needs a tranny I give it 2weeks max an it will go out an leave you on the side of the road, get it fixed real soon!either new tranny or used one, but remember a used one could also be ready to go out!

gar9854
08-12-2008, 08:28 PM
its slippin
the same thing happen w/ my mom 00' lx
it would jump up to 4500 then ease back down

G.C
08-13-2008, 09:34 AM
before you change it check your tranny fluid if you didnt. low fluid may cause slip

Atlblkz06
08-13-2008, 09:40 AM
I checked it yesterday, and it looked ok, but it was raining yesterday and my driveway isn't on flat ground.

The fluid was definitely old and dark red.

I wonder how long it'll last like there, place your bets! :)

UpSideDownDesi
08-13-2008, 12:56 PM
haha tranny i done man. We had our tranny on 02 I4 accord replaced at 50k, it's at 70k now and the new tranny has already started to act up. Extended Warranty expires in 09 so i plan on getting this one replaced in december so i'll have another 2year warranty on it muahahahaha.

Elbow
08-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Yep, tranny. Hurry and fix it, exact same thing happened to our Camry. Left me in the middle of the road lol.

slostang
08-13-2008, 03:57 PM
try having the tranny power flushed and change the filters. mine was doin that and I did the power flush now it works perfect.

Atlblkz06
08-13-2008, 04:34 PM
If I didn't know this car, I'd say the tranny is shot. I've had a tranny go bad on me, so I'm not new to tranny issues.

However its been doing this for a long time, like close to a year!
Its not getting worse, and its not getting better. It just stumps me.

I gotta let one of you guys check it out sometime.

Let me see if I can find that receipt - I'll be able to tell you guys how long its been doing this.

Atlblkz06
08-13-2008, 04:35 PM
try having the tranny power flushed and change the filters. mine was doin that and I did the power flush now it works perfect.

Theres an ATF filter in there?

Thanks for the tip I'll try that.

Atlblkz06
08-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Found it - The car has been doing this since July 07!

13 months of crazy shifting and it hasn't died yet!

Theycall_Metue
08-13-2008, 09:09 PM
if it a stick, maybe the car is slipping?

hybrid90accord
08-21-2008, 01:36 PM
tearing up your moms tranny FTL :no:

slammedvw
08-21-2008, 04:18 PM
let me see if i can give you some help, im a tranny mechanic so who knows :D

first off, if its got over 75000 miles and its never been serviced, dont change the tranny fluid, youll be better of driving it till it dies. now, what your describing is called a shift flare, not slipping. whats happening is the pressure to the clutch gets ramped up progressively to bring it on smoothly, however, yours is doing it too soft and is allowing it to flare before it fully engages. several things can cause this. a fluid level that is too low OR too high will cause this because if the fluid level is incorrect it causes the pump to cavitate creating air bubbles in the fluid, which makes main pressure erratic. another thing that can cause it would be a sticking valve in the valve body. my suggestion is this. see how long its been since its been serviced, if its been less than 75000 miles then change filter and fluid and make damn sure the fluid level is correct. regardless of whether you service it or not, drop the tranny pan and see if there is any clutch debris in the pan. if the pan is full of debris then most likely the clutches are burnt or there is a bearing failure (if its metal in the pan) and its causing the shift valves to stick.

let me know what you find.