PDA

View Full Version : 2002 pontiac grand am - wont start

Schugg
08-12-2008, 04:54 PM
posted this in the cars make forum but post in there usually take a while to get responses. so i posting here, hopefully i can get something before i goto work tomorrow.

this girls car will turn over but will not start, she thought maybe the battery was low and didnt have enough power to completely start it or something but replacing it just did the same.

since then i have checked this stuff:

-there is fuel pressure
-all plug wires are giving a spark
-plugs look ok, only checked one though
-starter is having no problems turning over, just doesnt go much further than turning over and over and over
-fuses all looked good

i read somewhere online earlier that a common problem is the fuel injectors will get clogged with build up and could stop the car from starting. from what i have checked this looks like the only reasonable thing it could be. just checking incase i missed something, been a while since i worked with cars.

is there a easy in the parking lot way i can check this without taking alot of time. never really messed with fuel injectors much. can i take them out and clean them with something or will i have to take it somewhere and use a machine?

jtaylor48
08-12-2008, 05:31 PM
I know that a lot of cars you can just unbolt the fuel rail and pull out the injectors. Injector cleaning kit is pretty cheap @ the autoparts store or walmart.

Atlblkz06
08-12-2008, 05:49 PM
What are the chances that 2 or more injectors have been clogged?

I know you said the car has fuel pressure, but make sure the emergency fuel shutoff hasnt been tripped.

I once dropped a bowlinig ball into the trunk, and the fuel system tripped into shutoff mode thinking I had gotten into a wreck. I called AAA. They hit the button and left me hanging my head in shame...

Init2winit
08-12-2008, 05:53 PM
The injectors are NOT clogged. That rarely happens unless someone has put some substance in the fuel, and even then it will usually run, but run rough. You say it has fuel pressure, how much? If it doesn't have enough, it won't run. You also need to check your fuses. This should be a simple problem to find.

Init2winit
08-12-2008, 05:55 PM

I know you said the car has fuel pressure, but make sure the emergency fuel shutoff hasnt been tripped.

I once dropped a bowlinig ball into the trunk, and the fuel system tripped into shutoff mode thinking I had gotten into a wreck. I called AAA. They hit the button and left me hanging my head in shame...That was probably on a ford. They are bad about that. His particular car does not have that option.

DecoyOctopus
08-12-2008, 06:00 PM
i heard the throttle bodies on the 2002ish pontiac grand am and grand prix get clogged up. check if the maf sensor has build up on it and spray carb cleaner into the throttle body.

Schugg
08-12-2008, 06:06 PM
The injectors are NOT clogged. That rarely happens unless someone has put some substance in the fuel, and even then it will usually run, but run rough. You say it has fuel pressure, how much? If it doesn't have enough, it won't run. You also need to check your fuses. This should be a simple problem to find.

all i did was take the cap off the fuel line going to the rail an held down the valve while she turn the ignition to accessory, not sure how to tell if its enough but it sprayed pretty good. i check all the big fuses, they were good, didnt check the tiny ones though

I once dropped a bowlinig ball into the trunk, and the fuel system tripped into shutoff mode thinking I had gotten into a wreck. I called AAA. They hit the button and left me hanging my head in shame...

if the car does have that shut off where is this button, or how you reset it?

That was probably on a ford. They are bad about that. His particular car does not have that option.

i seen another forum with a similiar post for a 01 grand am saying their car may have went into emergency shut off mode, so it may be

Schugg
08-12-2008, 06:07 PM
i heard the throttle bodies on the 2002ish pontiac grand am and grand prix get clogged up. check if the maf sensor has build up on it and spray carb cleaner into the throttle body.

ill check that tomorrow, maf sensor is the one that goes in the tubing between the intake filter and the intake manifold?

Schugg
08-12-2008, 06:08 PM
she also told me that this was just a sudden thing, it didnt build up to completely not running, just stopped.

Init2winit
08-12-2008, 06:11 PM
Clogged t/b is not the answer, nor is the maf sensor. You need to check ALL of the fuses. It could have a blown ECM fuse, which will cause the injectors not to pulse. Spray some carb cleaner, or starting fluid in the intake before the maf sensor, and see if it doesn't try to start.

Tech5
08-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Yeah..sounds like its not getting fuel...an those are bad about there 300$ fuel pumps going out, make sure to check the fuel filter too, when the pumps go out they send a brass/dark dirty metals in the fuel lines clogging the system...so make sure you change the fuel filter, turn it upside down an check the fuel if I was right, run the new pump an filter for about 20 miles, an change the filter again to clean it all out! best of luck!

Atlblkz06
08-13-2008, 05:16 PM
The fuel cut-out, yes that was on a Ford, impressive!

The reset switch was in the trunk. If you have one, it will be fairly easy to spot.

Spraying cleaner into the plenum sounds like an interesting idea. Reminds of carburated cars - FIREBALL!!

Tech5
08-13-2008, 08:52 PM
make sure the intake tube is connected an the MAF sensors are hooked up! if not it will not run either
Clogged t/b is not the answer, nor is the maf sensor. You need to check ALL of the fuses. It could have a blown ECM fuse, which will cause the injectors not to pulse. Spray some carb cleaner, or starting fluid in the intake before the maf sensor, and see if it doesn't try to start.

Schugg
08-13-2008, 09:43 PM
she ended up getting it towed to a shop before i got out today, ill see what they say