PDA

View Full Version : 1st true dumbass of the olympics?

ShooterMcGavin
08-12-2008, 10:45 AM
what kinda dumbass would stop just stop fighting? :thinking:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/boxing/news/newsid=196625.html#raushee+warren+eliminated?GT1=3 9003

Warren stunned in opening bout Top American hope believed he'd won, stopped punching

Posted Monday, August 11, 2008 9:33 AM ET
BEIJING (AP) - World champion flyweight Rau'shee Warren was upset by South Korea's Lee Ok-sung 9-8 Tuesday, a stunning end to a four-year wait for the first two-time American boxing Olympian in 30 years.

U.S. gold-medal favorite Rau'Shee Warren was eliminated by Lee Ok-sung, 9-8.

Warren barely threw a punch over the last 35 seconds, mistakenly believing his friends and teammates in the stands were telling him he was winning the fight -- and apparently ignoring the shouted pleas of his ringside coaches to throw punches.

"I didn't know I was behind," Warren told NBC's Jim Gray after the fight. "The coaches were hollering and I thought I was ahead. This is the second time I've lost on the first day and it's awful."

Warren entered the fourth round tied with Lee, the 2005 world champion, but fell behind midway through the round and never scored again.

"It didn't feel real," Warren said, pulling up his red tank top to dry his tears. "I didn't feel like I lost the fight, because I was fighting hard, doing everything the coaches were telling me. To get this far and then lose, I don't even know what happened."

Warren, who also lost his first bout at light flyweight in Athens four years ago, was a top medal favorite for the tumultuous American team along with welterweight Demetrius Andrade, another world champion who barely won his debut fight Sunday in Beijing.

Warren didn't know he had lost until he returned to his corner, where U.S. coach Dan Campbell had been screaming at his fighter to throw punches. When Warren heard the news, he threw his headgear in disgust, though he later apologized for being "unsportsmanlike."

"There was so much going on in the crowd," Warren said. "When I just stood there at the end, I thought I was up. To wait this long, and then to lose after one fight ..."

Warren broke into tears again.

"I was confused about why he stopped (punching)," Campbell said. "He said he heard somebody saying to him to move (and avoid Lee). He was looking up in the stands. I don't know what he thought they were saying."

Warren's departure comes on the heels of bantamweight contender Gary Russell Jr.'s failure to make weight, along with early losses by Sadam Ali and Javier Molina. Just five U.S. boxers remain in the Olympic field.

"For him to lose could be disheartening for some of our other guys," Campbell said. "That's going to be our biggest fear. ... I think they're most definitely going to be psyched out. We have a psychologist around, and we're going to make sure that she talks to this team, because I'm sure all of them are going to be psyched out by this.

The 21-year-old Warren, a Cincinnati native, was the youngest boxer at the Athens Games and the youngest male athlete on the entire U.S. Olympic contingent in Greece. While his teammates all turned pro, Warren decided to stay in the amateur ranks, moving up to flyweight for another shot at an Olympic medal.

"He did what we would like to hope that other young boxers do," Campbell said. "He stayed around for four more years, and ... he worked so hard in our program."

No American fighter had been on two straight Olympic teams since Davey Lee Armstrong in 1972 and 1976. While Cuba, Russia and other nations send their best amateur fighters to multiple Olympics, most Americans don't wait around with pro riches beckoning.

Warren's decision seemed smart when he finished third at the 2005 world championships and then claimed the 2007 title in Chicago.

4dmin
08-12-2008, 10:49 AM
btlfed notes :thinking:

slostang
08-12-2008, 10:58 AM
he's really focused on world peace.

SixSquared
08-12-2008, 11:08 AM
btlfed notes :thinking:

He thought he heard his family saying he won, and so with 35 seconds left he proceeded to dance around like an IDIOT instead of punching. He lost 9-8, blowing his chance at a medal and the fact that after the '04 olympics he turned down going pro so he could come back in Beijing.

Ran
08-12-2008, 11:19 AM
What a f*cking moron. I don't care how far ahead you think you are, you don't stop. You keep fighting until the end. He deserves to lose for being stupid.

osiriskidd
08-12-2008, 03:16 PM
What a f*cking moron. I don't care how far ahead you think you are, you don't stop. You keep fighting until the end. He deserves to lose for being stupid.

x2. prancing around like a retard while in a serious fight is also unsportsmanlike in many cases.

soul
08-12-2008, 03:39 PM
wtf, always go for the ko no matter what, ***** ass ***** deserved to lose

ATK_Designs
08-12-2008, 03:41 PM
^true. Deserve to lose.

BKgen®
08-12-2008, 04:09 PM
SOUTH KOREA BEAT DAT ASS

DJ Maestro
08-12-2008, 04:11 PM
SOUTH KOREA BEAT DAT ASS