PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Velocity Stacks

bigdare23
08-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Have anyone used velocity stacks on their intake before? Did you notice any gains or was it just "hype"? Also, would you benefit if you install it on a CAI?

slostang
08-10-2008, 09:22 PM
you mean a throttle body spacer?

all-mota
08-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Have anyone used velocity stacks on their intake before? Did you notice any gains or was it just "hype"? Also, would you benefit if you install it on a CAI?

you can usually expect gain of around 3 to 4 whp on a dyno with the stacks. dont bother with putting it on a cold air just get a long piece of pipe and tune it to the right lengh for peak power on your setup. different engines like different lengh intakes

DarKStaR
08-10-2008, 09:55 PM
you mean a throttle body spacer?

He is talking about the piece that goes on the end of the intake where the filter goes. Looks like a curled out horn.

bigdare23
08-10-2008, 10:28 PM
you can usually expect gain of around 3 to 4 whp on a dyno with the stacks. dont bother with putting it on a cold air just get a long piece of pipe and tune it to the right lengh for peak power on your setup. different engines like different lengh intakes

Thanks

TheChosenOne
08-11-2008, 03:14 AM
X2 on this question. I have been seeing more people run it, and I am also curious if it is, indeed, worth the hype.

I noticed that there isn't a filter on the velocity stack. Is this safe on a daily driver?

bigdare23
08-11-2008, 04:45 AM
X2 on this question. I have been seeing more people run it, and I am also curious if it is, indeed, worth the hype.

I noticed that there isn't a filter on the velocity stack. Is this safe on a daily driver?

you can put a filter on it.

southside
08-12-2008, 02:49 PM

I noticed that there isn't a filter on the velocity stack. Is this safe on a daily driver?I drove my friend single cam after putting the velocity stack on, you can notice a difference.and you can use mesh on the inside as a filter or you could use a stocking:D .Its all the same my friend had it on his h22 and another friend has it on his poor man R.:burnout:

southside
08-12-2008, 02:56 PM
You can hear the intake really loud when the stack is installed.It sucks more than a fat high school chick on prom night.

bRiAnMcIvIcS
08-12-2008, 11:18 PM
You can hear the intake really loud when the stack is installed.It sucks more than a fat high school chick on prom night.

LMFAO!!!:goodjob:

bigdare23
08-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Well I installed the v.stack this weekend on my cai. In a few weeks, I'm going to dyno it to see if I notice any gains. If not, the cai is going to get converted into a short ram.

southside
08-18-2008, 10:35 PM
Where did you get your stack and filter from and how much was it?

bigdare23
08-18-2008, 10:41 PM
http://www.bpinitiatives.com/assemblies.php

southside
08-18-2008, 10:53 PM
oh you got it from bpi.

Pikachu
08-18-2008, 11:06 PM
holy **** u really paid 100 bucks for that, damn ebay's the same stuff and less than 50 bucks

bigdare23
08-19-2008, 12:30 AM
holy **** u really paid 100 bucks for that, damn ebay's the same stuff and less than 50 bucks

sorry but I dont support knockoffs :goodjob:

ATK_Designs
08-19-2008, 10:13 AM
nor can you find a 3.5" V-Stack on ebay?

The theory behind v-stack is to have closer 100% air volume travel through the pipe vs square cut intakes that only allow about 2/3 of the air volume to pass through.

JITB
08-19-2008, 01:06 PM
lol whats a knockoff of a velocity stack... there all knockoffs.. blox sells them for 50-60$..

southside
08-19-2008, 02:36 PM
lol whats a knockoff of a velocity stack... there all knockoffs.. blox sells them for 50-60$..I seen some where on Honda Tech said BPI was suppose to be the originators.Of the velocity stack for honda and stuff but If its the same I'd rather pay less than more.:D

JITB
08-19-2008, 02:39 PM
I seen some where on Honda Tech said BPI was suppose to be the originators.Of the velocity stack for honda and stuff but If its the same I'd rather pay less than more.:D

Some stuff is just really honestly dont matter knockoff or not, its a donut shaped piece of plastic.. cut in half.. People have been using those for years, homemade or aftermarket..

mocha latte cupcake
08-19-2008, 02:44 PM
sorry but I dont support knockoffs :goodjob:

QFT! ^^^^

i know for a fact that they do better on nissans. its proven that a JWT pop charger (they come with velocity stacks) ALWAYS dyno 4 hp over other intakes without them. filter for filter its the same, its the velocity stack, i would buy one for sure! money well spent in my eye!

bigdare23
08-20-2008, 12:18 AM
It's more of a principal thing for me. Blox makes a living by duplicating everything popular and functional without the headache of R&D. They see a popular produce and duplicate it. The only reason why their produces are cheaper is because the take shortcuts and use cheaper materials and I wont support their tactics. Plus, I'm not building my car on a "tight" budget nor is in a rush in finishing it, so I not to worry about prices.

Also, majority of the price came from the filter and not the velocity stack. The velocity stack itself is about $35. You're paying for a good quality air filter (K&N) unlike the cheap no name brand filter you get with the blox product.

I know they aren't the "creators" of the velocity stack since it was use in many other applications (besides just automobiles), but they did make it popular in the Honda scene and blox caught on to that. So they came along with their "baller on the budget" replicas, but if it wasnt for bpi popularity they wouldn't even had considered copying it. So I give credit where credit is due, and buy the "original." :goodjob:

KevinT707
08-20-2008, 12:54 AM
^^
Darryl, normally I would put you down on this cause you know I never care about brand names and expensive parts that make little power but after you're last post you're ok with me :). If the velocity stack makes power then lemme borrow it sometime ..

BryanPendlet
08-20-2008, 05:58 AM
It's more of a principal thing for me. Blox makes a living by duplicating everything popular and functional without the headache of R&D. They see a popular produce and duplicate it. The only reason why their produces are cheaper is because the take shortcuts and use cheaper materials and I wont support their tactics. Plus, I'm not building my car on a "tight" budget nor is in a rush in finishing it, so I not to worry about prices.

Also, majority of the price came from the filter and not the velocity stack. The velocity stack itself is about $35. You're paying for a good quality air filter (K&N) unlike the cheap no name brand filter you get with the blox product.

I know they aren't the "creators" of the velocity stack since it was use in many other applications (besides just automobiles), but they did make it popular in the Honda scene and blox caught on to that. So they came along with their "baller on the budget" replicas, but if it wasnt for bpi popularity they wouldn't even had considered copying it. So I give credit where credit is due, and buy the "original." :goodjob:

We appreciate your support, I only wish everyone else shared your opinion. BLOX has a extensive dealer network in place, were BPI has little, so are market share is small. BLOX has probably sold several times what we have sold, and its unfortunate, because it hurts our development of new sizes too. I would love to get a 2.75", 2.5" and a 4" out there on the market. With time these sizes should come to fruition, but because of stolen market share by BLOX development and tooling will be delayed for years, if they are produced at all.

If anyone know of any local import shops with dyno capabilities, please let me know of them and I will send them a complimentary stack for testing purposes.

Bryan
BPI
[email protected]
www.bpinitiatives.com (http://www.bpinitiatives.com)

BryanPendlet
08-20-2008, 06:06 AM
^^
Darryl, normally I would put you down on this cause you know I never care about brand names and expensive parts that make little power but after you're last post you're ok with me :). If the velocity stack makes power then lemme borrow it sometime ..

You are not going to get BIG gains from a stack. We are talking on the order of 1-5% here, BUT, BUT for a $100 and a 5minute installation, I will be hardpressed to find more inexpensive, easier to install mod with the return. The gains are generally seen across the whole powerband as well, Not a Volumetric Effeciency shift like many of your "breathing mods" (ie. intake, header, exhaust, cams, etc)

I will also extend the offer, that for anyone individual willing to dyno test our stack before and after, we will send a complimentary stack or refund the cost of a stack.

ATK_Designs
08-20-2008, 09:05 AM
^ deal? Emailed.

bigdare23
08-20-2008, 06:02 PM
^^

LMK and you got it homie :goodjob:

bigdare23
08-20-2008, 06:03 PM
We appreciate your support, I only wish everyone else shared your opinion. BLOX has a extensive dealer network in place, were BPI has little, so are market share is small. BLOX has probably sold several times what we have sold, and its unfortunate, because it hurts our development of new sizes too. I would love to get a 2.75", 2.5" and a 4" out there on the market. With time these sizes should come to fruition, but because of stolen market share by BLOX development and tooling will be delayed for years, if they are produced at all.

If anyone know of any local import shops with dyno capabilities, please let me know of them and I will send them a complimentary stack for testing purposes.

Bryan
BPI
[email protected]
www.bpinitiatives.com (http://www.bpinitiatives.com)

Well I'm planning on dyno'n soon, so I'll let you know the results!

allen8603
08-20-2008, 08:27 PM
please post the results, been debating on one of these

9ussy
08-20-2008, 11:53 PM
please post the results, been debating on one of these

x2

BryanPendlet
08-21-2008, 05:59 AM
x2

With the exception of the b17 civic which was my own, all dyno data on our website is customers or tuner shops like yourselves.

What kind of cars you you all driving? or should i say what motor?

bigdare23
08-21-2008, 02:11 PM
With the exception of the b17 civic which was my own, all dyno data on our website is customers or tuner shops like yourselves.

Well I'm running just a b16.

southside
08-21-2008, 03:03 PM
Well I'm running just a b16.Just a b16:ninja:

eViLMunkey
08-21-2008, 04:34 PM
here not a knock off either: (it's the Blox version for $37)
http://www.weaksauceparts.com/store/product.php?productid=18418&cat=0&page=1

bigdare23
08-21-2008, 04:41 PM
here not a knock off either: (it's the Blox version for $37)
http://www.weaksauceparts.com/store/product.php?productid=18418&cat=0&page=1

Blox version = knock off

Look at this, the real one is slightly cheaper
http://www.bpinitiatives.com/stacks.php

southside
08-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Lol yea Blox is a knockoff even tho its a actual company its still a knockoff.They copy alot of people and sell it like they were the first.

KevinT707
08-21-2008, 10:56 PM
I never really had interest in velocity stacks but I like you Bryan, so I might just try one out & who knows I might just pick up a couple WHP.

I have a LS/VTEC (w/ built top & bottom end for nitrous) in a CRX.

9ussy
08-21-2008, 11:28 PM

Ls with mild build... see if i can really pick up a couple more Whp

BIG WORM
08-22-2008, 05:32 AM
couldn't you get the same effect by putting window screen and a rubber band on the end of the pipe? panty hose? an old sock? My friend had one in his front bumper, but it was more for looks, I thought. Isn't a open pipe the same?

southside
08-22-2008, 09:37 AM
I dont think thats the same seeing that I tried using a stocking.But you cant hear the intake like you hear it with the V-stack.

all-mota
08-22-2008, 03:43 PM
couldn't you get the same effect by putting window screen and a rubber band on the end of the pipe? panty hose? an old sock? My friend had one in his front bumper, but it was more for looks, I thought. Isn't a open pipe the same?

no the straight edge of the end of the pipe will actually make less power than the same intake with a filter.

the velocity stack is designed with a radius curve in place to smooth the transition of the airflow into the pipe while improving velocity in most cases

BryanPendlet
08-23-2008, 06:46 AM

Plain end open pipe is even worse than having a filter.

allen8603
09-04-2008, 05:25 PM
bought one from bpi this weekend. should be here tomorrow.

allmotorX
09-08-2008, 02:45 PM
bought one from bpi this weekend. should be here tomorrow.x2:goodjob:

southside
09-08-2008, 03:41 PM
x2:goodjob:you got one too well guess I gotta get one too

Siverprobegt
09-08-2008, 06:57 PM
http://www.bpinitiatives.com/assemblies.php

Since you don't mine spending money,check this website.The velocity stack can be place on the end of the filter :D

outhttp://prmracing.com/

southside
09-09-2008, 05:53 PM
DARE whats the difference between just the stack and stack W/filter

patrick4588
09-09-2008, 05:55 PM
^^^about 1-2hp

southside
09-09-2008, 05:58 PM
^^^about 1-2hpSo im guessing the filter helps then.

patrick4588
09-09-2008, 06:05 PM
i meant loss of 1-2hp, but i would run a filter just for the purpose of cleaner air and no risk of sucking up any debris.

southside
09-10-2008, 07:17 AM
ok

BryanPendlet
09-10-2008, 08:19 PM
DARE whats the difference between just the stack and stack W/filter

Tests we have seen on all-motor Hondas, have yield negligable differences with regard to power and torque. My advise: run the filter.

southside
09-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Tests we have seen on all-motor Hondas, have yield negligable differences with regard to power and torque. My advise: run the filter.Too late I already order the Velocity stack!

southside
09-18-2008, 11:33 AM
stack will be here tomorrow

allmotorX
09-21-2008, 06:40 AM
got mine already haven't installed it yet

southside
09-21-2008, 08:21 AM
got mine friday should have got 3.5inch oh well.It fits just dont have a motor to put it on

Gorilla Eg!
09-21-2008, 10:40 AM
when I bought my car the dumbass was running open throttle body :screwy:... so I bought just an ebay intake and put a velocity stack on it and made a filter of sorts with screen door material ( that you cant see ) in btw. the velocity stack itself and the piping.... I noticed a small increase in throttle response.... maybe 1-3 hp?.... it also did sound slightly better in vtec crossover!!! :goodjob:

Here is a pic of the current velocity stack ( SOON TO BE REPLACED BY ITB'S )

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m41/em1vtec/IMG_4543_rs22_cr.jpg

southside
09-21-2008, 10:48 AM
why does your velocity stack lok weird

Gorilla Eg!
09-21-2008, 10:57 AM
why does your velocity stack lok weird

nu uh!!!! u look weird :crazy:

southside
09-23-2008, 10:42 AM
nu uh!!!! u look weird :crazy:Thanks:chuckles:

sakasaku
09-23-2008, 04:15 PM
i was looking into doing ITBs down the road a bit

sakasaku
09-23-2008, 04:48 PM
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1191757&page=1
:ninja:
(http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1191757&page=1)

southside
09-23-2008, 05:14 PM
i was looking into doing ITBs down the road a bitthey arent good for daily driving and better find a good tuner:goodjob:

Gorilla Eg!
09-26-2008, 11:24 PM
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1191757&page=1
:ninja:
(http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1191757&page=1)

DIY= FAIL :tongue1:

all-mota
09-28-2008, 02:55 PM
they arent good for daily driving and better find a good tuner:goodjob:

not true i could drive my car everyday if i wanted too. the itb's don't hinder that.

however they can be a pain in the ass the tune and react to climate changes like temp and humidity.

and the guy that wanted to do the diy itb's dont waste your time i've never seen a car make more power with them than a nice intake manifold. if you want itb's you have to spend some $$$$ on some high quality ones or you'll be bashing them within the first month of putting them on your car.