PDA

View Full Version : 4.6L project: inbound

EvasiveEF9
08-09-2008, 07:33 AM
I've decided I think I'm going to leave my aesthetics alone, for now, and I'm looking into power adders. I don't wanna bust the block apart, but I am interested in hunting more power.

What are some of the first things I should look into? Keep in mind, it's my daily, pulling about 300rwhp currently. My goal is 400 while losing as little gas mileage as I can. She'll be doing some highway driving...as I am active duty military. Probably the steepest I'd go on my gears is the 3.55, unless I plan to do the six-speed swap in the future. Exhaust/intake are already done. I'm not opposed to superchargers, but right now, the money is not in the pocket, but it is in the plans for the long run.

The first things I've been looking at are my cams and/or a tune. Unfortunately, I'm up here in NC, so I have to find a good tuning place, or make my way back to Ga here and there.

And tips, advice, notes?

JDMJAYDC2
08-09-2008, 11:15 AM
you want more power id say look for a local forum there in NC and go from there as im sure you did with your hondas. Cams are never a bad idea but research will be your best friend in your goal of 100 more horsepower

Slomaro Z28
08-09-2008, 04:41 PM
Cam(s)-if you have the DOHC, heads & valvetrain= biggest gains most likely, and tune......and headers if those weren't included in exhaust.

More power = Less MPG... usually

green91
08-09-2008, 08:26 PM
http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/ford/gt05-06_3v/gt05-06_3v.htm

MachNU
08-10-2008, 02:11 AM
I've decided I think I'm going to leave my aesthetics alone, for now, and I'm looking into power adders. I don't wanna bust the block apart, but I am interested in hunting more power.

What are some of the first things I should look into? Keep in mind, it's my daily, pulling about 300rwhp currently. My goal is 400 while losing as little gas mileage as I can. She'll be doing some highway driving...as I am active duty military. Probably the steepest I'd go on my gears is the 3.55, unless I plan to do the six-speed swap in the future. Exhaust/intake are already done. I'm not opposed to superchargers, but right now, the money is not in the pocket, but it is in the plans for the long run.

The first things I've been looking at are my cams and/or a tune. Unfortunately, I'm up here in NC, so I have to find a good tuning place, or make my way back to Ga here and there.

And tips, advice, notes?

WOW a 4.6 SOHC 3v and making 300rwhp with only intake and exhuast? You make 300 at the crank stock! SO i think your numbers might be slightly high. But if your looking to make over 400whp the cheapest and fastest thing to do without losing much mpg, is to throw a 100shot on there, with header back exhuast, intake, maf, injectors, maybe a P&P'd intake manfiold, and dyno tune, will make for a fun car. Anything else is going to lead to an ass load of money!

EvasiveEF9
08-10-2008, 09:12 AM
WOW a 4.6 SOHC 3v and making 300rwhp with only intake and exhuast? You make 300 at the crank stock! SO i think your numbers might be slightly high. But if your looking to make over 400whp the cheapest and fastest thing to do without losing much mpg, is to throw a 100shot on there, with header back exhuast, intake, maf, injectors, maybe a P&P'd intake manfiold, and dyno tune, will make for a fun car. Anything else is going to lead to an ass load of money!
Well, I forgot to mention my source for the 300hp... 300hp was what I was TOLD the car was putting down on a dyno. I have no physical proof, nor have I seen it push it on the dyno. Once I actually get those numbers, they will be posted, but until I do something with the car, I have no plans to run to a dyno. However, IF the car is putting down 3 at the wheels...my next goal is 400. :tongue1:

Happy? LoL

I appreciate your input on the no2, but I'll likely look for something other than that. I just don't like the strain it puts on an engine, and I don't trust thestuff. When the intake was done, the MAF was also done. I really wish the shop I worked out was still up and running so I could really get up under the car, but I think the exhaust was done headers back.

Which brings me to a question. With headers, I see people bragging about shorty headers, and I see people bragging about long headers...what's the difference as far as the car's performance is concerned?

MachNU
08-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Well, I forgot to mention my source for the 300hp... 300hp was what I was TOLD the car was putting down on a dyno. I have no physical proof, nor have I seen it push it on the dyno. Once I actually get those numbers, they will be posted, but until I do something with the car, I have no plans to run to a dyno. However, IF the car is putting down 3 at the wheels...my next goal is 400. :tongue1:

Happy? LoL

I appreciate your input on the no2, but I'll likely look for something other than that. I just don't like the strain it puts on an engine, and I don't trust thestuff. When the intake was done, the MAF was also done. I really wish the shop I worked out was still up and running so I could really get up under the car, but I think the exhaust was done headers back.

Which brings me to a question. With headers, I see people bragging about shorty headers, and I see people bragging about long headers...what's the difference as far as the car's performance is concerned?

SHorty headers give more gain in down low rpms and long tubes give better high rpm power. If anything always go long tubes. SHortys are just a waste of money, for a $100 less, between cost and install and you make alot less power. I will be ordering my Mac LT here soon, and cant wait to get them on.

But yeah, if your goal is 400whp, cheap without nitrous, then your goal is very high. Nothing against you. Basically the only difference between your motor and mine, other than a valve, is that your block holds more power stock than mine. And for me to get 400whp, i will need heads and cams to get there. But i will just be doing a eaton conversion next year for tax time. So for right now if you want it fast for cheap, basically you need headers, intake manifold, pulleys, full cat back, alum d/s, alum flywheel, and probably some higher gears. THen of course a dyno tune!

mmmmpsi
08-10-2008, 11:52 PM
As someone who has a 2V 4.6l I've tried just about everything from bolt-ons to nitrous to SuperChargers.. Only thing I haven't done is a turbo setup and by far the best bang for your buck is nitrous.. With that being said, there is the hassle of filling up the bottle etc and probably the least safe of all power adders if it's not done right.. No matter what, you're going to loose some MPG as it's the simple fact that it takes more fuel to make more power..

What I would suggest doing if you're on a budget is look for a used S/C kit on corral.net or modularfords.com.. There are several on there that you can find for a good deal.. I would personally go with Vortech myself, I went with Paxton and even though I've had no issues whatsoever with it, finding parts such as pulley's can be a pain in the butt compared to the Vortech.. Kenne Bell's are very nice but you're going to pay for them and if you want to leave some fuel economy in your car I would avoid them as their power curve is completely different than a centrifugal supercharger..

Good luck and have fun! :)

mmmmpsi
08-10-2008, 11:56 PM
I never had a chance to dyno the car with the smaller (10psi) pulley, but with 6psi and no cooling I put down 330 on a mustang dyno My best run at 5600ft DA was 12.61@110..

I messed up my 10psi pulley on the move to Greenville so I haven't had a chance to get another yet but I'm working on that. :) I put in a meth kit to do the cooling and going to aim for the 11's which shouldn't be hard if the clutch holds together.. weeeeeeee

onebadgt
08-11-2008, 10:14 AM
okay lets c where should i start. ive cotemplated almost every mod for A 06 MUSTANG. as for cams. none of the cams on the market are picking up more than 40 hp max. i have a friend with underdrive pullys, intake, full exhaust(longtubes) comp cams, custom tune and hes makin 352rwhp. forced induction on a 3v will make 400rwhp VERY easily but of course is $$$. the only cheap way to go is put a N20 kit on and get a very safe rich custom tune. and you will never hafta worry about a thing. people are scared of n2o because alot of guys are dumb and just put it on with no tune and spray the hell out of it. n2o is actually very safe with a good tune and not goin through 5 bottles a week!

Nemesis
08-11-2008, 06:20 PM
WOW a 4.6 SOHC 3v and making 300rwhp with only intake and exhuast? You make 300 at the crank stock! SO i think your numbers might be slightly high. !

Uh man, I put down 305 / 310 with a JLT intake and 93 oct tune (WRXAtlanta dyno day)....

EvasiveEF9
08-11-2008, 08:13 PM
Too many people to reply to individually...

I'm still shunning n2o because honestly it just scares the piss outta me from stories I've heard.

No good cams? I think it was Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords did a write-up on comp cams latest cams, and supposedly they got it to pull I think 52hp. Granted, he had other mods prior to, so it only multiplied the outcome...but I thought that was a pretty decent gain? From what I've seen, they've got the best cams on the market for the 3v. Could be wrong, though.

SC I'm looking at roush, mostly, and hoping to run it in February-ish with my tax return. We're gonna see how things play out, I guess, with where I'm stationed. I think I'll be in Cali, so I would probably leave the mustang in the garage back in Ga... Clearly I'll need to find a good shop for a tune...

Definitely going to consider those long-tubes. Anyone have any suggestions for who to look at? Gotta sound good, and perform well...emphasis on performing smoothly...

Can someone please offer an explanation of how and where and when the meth kit would be used? An SRT4 owner up here is looking into it and explained it...but his explanation sucked. I've not heard of it...

Finally...pulley's are being considered...we'll see what happens...

EvasiveEF9
08-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Oh...I'm also guilty at looking into port and polish...how much do shops run for that kind of a job?

onebadgt
08-11-2008, 08:54 PM
go to modularpowerhouse .com and to the help me section and ask and they will give you prices for all there diff things. as for the roush charger. bad idea. they cost as much as a kenne bell, procharger,whipple,vortech. ect. . . and are crap they make no power and are VERY inefficiant a 3v stang with no mods except roush blower on 8psi will make 390-420rwhp with ne of the others. same psi you will see 430-460rwhp

MachNU
08-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Have to agree with Onebadgt, never go with a roush s/c. If you want a roots style charger it comes down to Whipple or Kenne Bell, neither one is better than the other its always been a constant arguement between them on which is better. Once i go eaton, then get my motor built, i already know i will upgrade to a whipple, i have just liked the way those preform to me. Also for parts shopping dont go to MPH, they cost a arm and a leg. The only thing tim lynch(sp) is better at than any other mustang shop is tuning. For parts though, i am going through LethalPerformance.com by far the best online parts selection than anyone else, and the do compete on prices. I am always emailing Jerry of the workers on SVTPerformance all the time on prices and parts, and hes always helpful.

onebadgt
08-12-2008, 06:51 AM
Have to agree with Onebadgt, never go with a roush s/c. If you want a roots style charger it comes down to Whipple or Kenne Bell, neither one is better than the other its always been a constant arguement between them on which is better. Once i go eaton, then get my motor built, i already know i will upgrade to a whipple, i have just liked the way those preform to me. Also for parts shopping dont go to MPH, they cost a arm and a leg. The only thing tim lynch(sp) is better at than any other mustang shop is tuning. For parts though, i am going through LethalPerformance.com by far the best online parts selection than anyone else, and the do compete on prices. I am always emailing Jerry of the workers on SVTPerformance all the time on prices and parts, and hes always helpful.

ya, i know what your sayin about the $$$ at modular but i meant to check for the suatom porting through them. and i think you meant tim barth lol. lynch is the racer lol but i agree with you the kb and whipple are both great and about even till you get to the kenne bell big bore.

MachNU
08-12-2008, 07:45 AM
ya, i know what your sayin about the $$$ at modular but i meant to check for the suatom porting through them. and i think you meant tim barth lol. lynch is the racer lol but i agree with you the kb and whipple are both great and about even till you get to the kenne bell big bore.

3.4whipple h/0 > big bore KB!

:lmao:

DieselNuts
08-12-2008, 07:56 AM
I've heard that the Kenne bell customer suport is non-existant while whipple's is top notch. There have been multiple people on SVTPerformance to make the switch from KB to whipple for that reason alone.

MachNU
08-12-2008, 08:11 AM
I've heard that the Kenne bell customer suport is non-existant while whipple's is top notch. There have been multiple people on SVTPerformance to make the switch from KB to whipple for that reason alone.

lol more proof to the whipple!