PDA

View Full Version : Raikkonen interested in rallying when he retires

NewGen33
08-08-2008, 07:14 PM
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/07082008/58/ford-offer-raikkonen-wrc-test.html
Ford team principal Malcolm Wilson has said he would be willing to offer reigning Formula One champion Kimi Raikkonen a test for the World Rally Championship while saying that he expects British star Lewis Hamilton to follow him into the sport at some point in the future.

EJ25RUN
08-08-2008, 07:23 PM
Strange. I expected Kimi to throw the gloves away altogether. I really think that Kubica is the one that will venture into the WRC because he wears a wrc bracelet for luck.

It would be a great thing for the WRC if an F1 pilot goes into the WRC because the sport has lost a great bit of popularity even in Europe. Mainly because Peugeot, Mitsubishi, and Skoda have left so the sport is not as competitive as it once was. Hopefully it will get back to the days when more people watched the WRC than F1. And atleast have Speedtv show it in America. :rolleyes:

NewGen33
08-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Do you know how long Kimi has been racing F1? It will definitely benefit Rally Racing and help bring its popularity back.

EJ25RUN
08-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Do you know how long Kimi has been racing F1? It will definitely benefit Rally Racing and help bring its popularity back.

He started with Sauber in 2001

NewGen33
08-08-2008, 07:43 PM
He started with Sauber in 2001
Wow so is 9 years even considered a long racing career in F1

EJ25RUN
08-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Wow so is 9 years even considered a long racing career in F1

Hell yeah, F1 is the disposable driver. Your job is always on the line even if you are world champion. People say Michael Schumacher's final F1 season of 2006 might have not been the end for the man if Ferrari had not wanted Kimi to replace him so bad.

I remember watching Alonzo ain his Minardi days, he was good but then vanished until Renault brought him back. Oh and Massa was Ferrari's test driver for years when Schumi and Barricello were driver 1 and 2.

(Not to bad for King Michael, he still makes 20 Million Euros a year, hangs and test with the Ferrari F1, mentors Massa and Raikkonen and Vettle. Races pro motorcycles as a hobby, helps his son in his racing career and making a taxi van famous for taking the wheel in order to get to the airport in a more timely fashion.

But to answer your question, in modern F1, 9 years is like 4-5 drivers combined.

SampaGuy
08-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Doesn't surprise me, he is Finnish after all.

blacknightteg
08-08-2008, 08:30 PM
didnt mika do the same thing and go into ralley after he retired?

Elbow
08-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Doesn't surprise me, he is Finnish after all.

OMG I was typing the SAME thing :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

EJ25RUN
08-08-2008, 09:40 PM
didnt mika do the same thing and go into ralley after he retired?

Rallying and then became a Mercedes DTM man only to retire last year for good.

Now he work as a responsible drinking Ambassador with Johnny Walker and Mclaren.