PDA

View Full Version : Router Help

Brett
08-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Okay for some reason my wireless router (Netgear) that we bought a month ago will now only let us connect if we are hard wired, but if we try and connect through the wireless my laptop (Running Vista) and my wifes (Running XP) can not connect even though it see's the router

This is the screen I get when I am connected via wireless, which as you see I am connected but it wont let the internet come through

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t200/kitted00civic/WTF.jpg

Tonight we went to best buy and bought another router (Same kind) and this one is also doing the same thing.

We have Comcast Internet so is it possible something on thier end is only letting us connect through the router hard wired but cant get the internet if we go wireless? Like I said we can connect wireless but both say limited connectivity when wireless

OTG Signs
08-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Netgear. Found the problem.

Spektrewing386
08-07-2008, 07:35 PM
im betting it has to do something with wireless security. go into your router (192.168.0.1 i think) and fool around with the wireless security features.

with some routers you reset them by unplugging them for like 30 seconds. netgear may reset that way. so a power outage may have reset the security settings

Crazy Asian
08-07-2008, 07:38 PM
NetGear...I hate them. Linksys...wow not a single problem. I even told all my customer I dont care how you think it's cheap and you can save money, you're just fooling yourself. Worst customer support followed by worst router ever. I hate it and will never buy.

Crazy Asian
08-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Ya try playing with the setting or call comcast. If it does it again, kick the router out and get a linksys. Seriously brett stop wasting your time and money.

Maniacc
08-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Your new avatar and signature look sweet. But to answer your question, I have no idea. Like Spektrewing386 said, It could be you wireless security.

Brett
08-07-2008, 10:14 PM
im betting it has to do something with wireless security. go into your router (192.168.0.1 i think) and fool around with the wireless security features.

with some routers you reset them by unplugging them for like 30 seconds. netgear may reset that way. so a power outage may have reset the security settings

Yeah that goes to the router set up menu which I already have been going into. What wireless security settings would I play with?

Crazy Asian
08-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Call Comcast. They'll help you out to set it up. I bet you your router been reset.

Brett
08-08-2008, 06:10 AM
^^ did you read anything I said? lol. It did it all the sudden last earlier this week so I went last night and bought a NEW router (Same model) but new one so of course its been reset cause its new ;)

Rican219
08-08-2008, 06:16 AM
Old People < Cheap Technology

Brett
08-08-2008, 07:48 AM
Jose, Could my comcast cable modem have anything to do with it? Could a setting have changed after the storms we had a week ago inside the cable modem that is letting the internet connect hard wired to the router but not letting the wireless signal connect to the internet?

Rican219
08-09-2008, 06:07 PM
You good on this or still need help? Sorry I have not been on in a day