PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Porsche 356-001 "No.1" is coming to Atlanta before Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance.

EJ25RUN
08-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Autoblog...

If you're a regular Autoblog reader, you'll be familiar with the saga of Porsche's take-over of Volkswagen. But back in the late '40s when Germany lay in post-war shambles with its industry crippled, VW had been re-commissioned by the allies and Porsche was just getting started. Based on the mechanics designed by his father, Dr. Ferdinand Porsche led a team that crafted the very first Porsche, the original 356. That first prototype is still around, known to enthusiasts as Porsche No. 1 and destined to become the centerpiece of the factory's new museum in Zuffenhausen on the outskirts of Stuttgart. To celebrate the company's 60th anniversary, Porsche No. 1 is making the treacherous journey around the world to the United States.

The last time Porsche tried to bring 356-001 over to America, things did not go well. It was ten years ago when the company celebrated its milestone 50th birthday, and the car was badly damaged in Chicago. Long since repaired, Porsche No. 1 is on its way to the Atlanta headquarters of Porsche Cars North America before it makes the transcontinental journey all the way to California for the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, where it's sure to steal the show. Autoblog will be on the links to bring you news and images of its arrival, but in the meantime you can check out the pair of images in the gallery below and details in the press release after the jump.

I wonder if we will be able to see it?

Evo magaine said this car estimated worth: Priceless

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/08/1st-porsche-02.jpg

yogi08
08-07-2008, 03:45 PM
wow wonderful car

The Youngn
08-07-2008, 03:59 PM
wow..

AlanŽ
08-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Simply amazing.

Crazy Asian
08-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Notice how simple cars were back then. Now cars are more computer wired, crazy carbon fiber wide body kit, and this and that, but look at the Porsche...everything well just flows perfectly. Simple and clean.

The Youngn
08-07-2008, 04:47 PM
^^Wonderfully said

LightningSpeed
08-11-2008, 12:49 AM
i bet it was a blast to drive as well. No BEEP BEEP BEEP, TICK TICK TICK, PSH PSH PSH, EEE EEE EEE, and such.

1SICKLEX
08-11-2008, 01:03 AM
Thanks, I love that car!!!