PDA

View Full Version : Mahdavi is thinking about getting into bikes

Jaimecbr900
08-05-2008, 07:17 AM
After a gazillion inquiries, Mahdavi is contemplating starting to work on bikes too. We already work on any kind of car, so adding bikes to the mix is not so far fetched.

We all own motorcycles and work on them ourselves, so its an obvious choice. I just need to know if there is a need/market for us to even bother with it.

Based on the inquiries we're getting, I'm thinking that the majority of people don't necessarily want super duper high performance work...only regular maintenance and bolt ons. We've done everything from exhaust to suspension to regular maintenance to our own bikes already, so that's not a big deal although everyone needs that. We're also going to do some pretty involved performance on someone's bike pretty soon.....:ninja: .....so you will have something tangible to look at as far as performance and quality. :yes:

Let me know what you guys think and/or need on your bikes so I can gauge if this is a segment we want to get into.

Thanks. :goodjob:

1000cckiller
08-05-2008, 07:43 AM
I might bring my bike after I see what ya'll can do, but seeing Jamie is involved that good enough for me. I believe that it would be a good thing if you all did work on bikes, that could cut out some of the shady shops people use.

Jaimecbr900
08-05-2008, 07:59 AM
I might bring my bike after I see what ya'll can do, but seeing Jamie is involved that good enough for me. I believe that it would be a good thing if you all did work on bikes, that could cut out some of the shady shops people use.

Appreciate that.

We lowered my bike here with no problems. We've worked some on Arash's and Sang's bike. Arash installed quite a few cosmetic pieces and tweaked some on his own bike, although since it's basically brand new there really isn't much he wanted to do to it except the normal exhaust, fender eliminator, etc.

I'm thinking about doing some freaky stuff with mine.....if I can convince Sam to do it (he says I'm going to die a fiery death if we do what I want.....:rolleyes: :D ). We'll see.

Getting the part distributors is no big deal, but I don't want to setup accounts with them and then not use them. That's why I'm trying to gauge interest and demand before I go setting all that up.

EJ25RUN
08-05-2008, 08:33 AM
i think the biggest part for bike guys would be a place to buy parts as most of them fix the bike themselves.

1000cckiller
08-05-2008, 08:55 AM
Appreciate that.

We lowered my bike here with no problems. We've worked some on Arash's and Sang's bike. Arash installed quite a few cosmetic pieces and tweaked some on his own bike, although since it's basically brand new there really isn't much he wanted to do to it except the normal exhaust, fender eliminator, etc.

I'm thinking about doing some freaky stuff with mine.....if I can convince Sam to do it (he says I'm going to die a fiery death if we do what I want.....:rolleyes: :D ). We'll see.

Getting the part distributors is no big deal, but I don't want to setup accounts with them and then not use them. That's why I'm trying to gauge interest and demand before I go setting all that up.well let me know, I have a few partners that would use ya'll including me.

The BUCKY
08-05-2008, 09:27 AM
interesting

Vteckidd
08-05-2008, 09:46 AM
If you can sell parts, and iirc Mahdavi does tires as well right?

If you can stock an sell motorcycle parts as well as replace tires, its a very good business.

Check out the Duc Shop and see what kinda bank they make lol

Jaimecbr900
08-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Well, this is still on the drawing board sort of speak.

We don't want to get into customizing the bikes so much looks wise, i.e. polishing frames, painting, and stuff like that. What we were mostly thinking was physically working on them as in maintenance and performance side of things. There are some good custom shops out there that are far better equipped than we are as far as doing the looks of the bikes. I'd be more interested in mechanical type work. Some may bleed over into the cosmetics, like fender eliminators, some electrical work, and maybe the occassional lowering is really for cosmetics reason mostly. But fluid changes, chain and sprockets, tune ups, exhaust(s), install of power commanders, air shifters, and maybe get the occassional wild one where we put in a turbo or nitrous setup, etc....was more along the lines of what I was thinking to begin with.

Vteckidd
08-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Yeah thats all the Duc SHop does, now its a Ducatti place so its like having Ferrari clientele. But still, why only make money on cars if you can make it on bikes.

I have a buddy that is a manager at cycle gear and all they do is tires and parts, an they make a killing.

I actually have some parts coming out for the 250R soon :)

Cool Cat Racing
08-05-2008, 11:07 AM
I've been doing just that for our customers too. Its nice that your customers who are into bikes can come to the same place they know to get them serviced. You won't make as much money doing it as the bigger bike shops but there is certainly a lot of money to be made there as more and more people are getting into bikes as well.

The BUCKY
08-05-2008, 11:11 AM
do tires. thats big business

NevrNufTorq
08-05-2008, 11:46 AM
do tires. thats big business
x2...good money there and then thatll lead into sprocket changes, chains, and then you're in the bike business!!! :D

Jaimecbr900
08-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Keep them coming guys. This is great feedback and great ideas. Definetly a step closer to getting this done.

The BUCKY
08-05-2008, 01:44 PM
tire machine will pay for itself quick. 15-20 a tire change will get good business since everyone else charges like 30

BLK JDM
08-05-2008, 02:04 PM
tire machine will pay for itself quick. 15-20 a tire change will get good business since everyone else charges like 30

Very true. It wouldn't hurt to start working on bikes since the shop and pretty much 95% of the tools, materials, and overhead have already been established for years.

Jaimecbr900
08-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Very true. It wouldn't hurt to start working on bikes since the shop and pretty much 95% of the tools, materials, and overhead have already been established for years.

Shush Jerel.....grown folks talking here......:lmfao: JP.

You're right though. It seems that since Arash, Sang, and I ride our bikes a lot to the shop people assumed we worked on them here for the public, so that's where I think the flood gate of questions have come from.

Like I said, we're already talking to several manufacturers to see how we can do this where it's a win-win for everybody. It wouldn't make any sense to do it unless we could offer something for people to come in and also make a little money.

We are thinking that installing tires, sprocket/chains, tune-ups, fluid changes, installing power commanders, some electrical work, maybe alarms, HID kit installs, fender eliminators and the like.....pretty much stuff like that, plus like I said the occassional big and wild project for those that dare like turbo charging and nitrous. Since most newer bikes are all fuel injected, then FI is not that much different than with a car....just at a smaller scale for the most part.

Like I said, my bike is obviously going to be one of the first guinea pigs for anything like that. So if yall see a bright red 900rr on the news being chased by some helicopter......it's only R&D.....:lmfao: :lmfao:

What tire lines are most popular right now? I've always used Batleaxes on my bike, so I don't have first hand exp. with anything else.

What other accessories and/or services do you guys think would be most popular for us bike guys?

The BUCKY
08-05-2008, 02:41 PM
mich pilots, dunlop qualifiers, pirelli diablo 3 big names

520 conversions are huge

and slip on exhausts all diff brands

i usually charge $200 min for HID installs depends on what i can get the kits for.

Jaimecbr900
08-05-2008, 02:41 PM
What do you guys think about HID kits for bikes @ $200-250 INSTALLED? Is that too high or too low?

Maniacc
08-05-2008, 02:45 PM
What do you guys think about HID kits for bikes @ $200-250 INSTALLED? Is that too high or too low?
First of all, I'm really diggin' this idea. A lot of my friends have recently started buying bikes. It seems to be the best ways of transportation at the moment. About the HID prices, there already is an underground vendor who sells them for $130-$150. Installing them isn't a problem, so I personally think $200-$250 might be alittle too high for some individuals. Might want to throw some other bonus or something if you go with those prices, just a thought.

Jaimecbr900
08-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the input. We definetly are hearing all of it.

I've already contacted our Hunter guy to find out what adaptors, if any, we would need for our balancer. We know our mounting machine is fine since we've done a few bike tires already. It's just getting the balancer to work with those wheel centers. But I'm sure it can be worked out. So that's not going to be a prob.

Keep the input coming. This is really helping so far. :goodjob:

+50 to everyone that has responded in this thread.....except Jerel....cause I'm racist.....:ninja: JP...I'm even giving Jerel some reps....:goodjob:

chuck
08-05-2008, 04:06 PM
I think offering the services would be a good idea but actually selling the tires is a near lost cause...i work for suzuki of atlanta and cycle gear SELLS tires for cheaper than we buy them. just make sure you can be competitive if you are going to make the jump, a lot of places buy in bulk or have their own warehouse-that gives them far better discounts that are pretty much untouchable. cycle gear doesn't make much money at all off their tires but its great advertising for them...just sucks for people trying to make money off tires, most are shut/ing down by now.

as far as the basic services, i think it'd be safe to offer...easy enough to stock oil filters since most are the same and bike oils. air filters are a little more trickey to "stock" because they change every model and some people want OEM, BMC, K&N, etc....if you want to buy suz. in bulk just gimmie a shout, arash came and got pads and filter from me before and i gave him the hook up.

good luck guys! would be neat to at least offer with appointment (time to get parts)

chuck
08-05-2008, 04:08 PM
static balancer FTW btw...its all you see at the track and if it's good enough for a 170+ mph then it works just fine on the street.

best part - balancer machiene is less than $50 ;)

THATdude
08-05-2008, 05:45 PM
act like nike and just do it.

crunch320
08-05-2008, 09:54 PM
There is way more money in the basics like fluid changes,sprockets,chains,plugs,valve adjustment,tps sync and things of that nature than in the heavy performance stuff.Most guys make much more on tire changes than the actual tire because you have to sell so cheap to stay competitive.Most guys want the fender eliminators,integrated taillights and hid and there can be some good quick cash in those jobs.But just a friendly opinion from a guy that has built some heavy hitter big bore,nitrous and turbo bikes,be careful what you jump into if your somewhat new to bikes with a power adder,they are not the same as cars(similiar but not the same) and blowing things up gets expensive quick.It's hard to hurt a bike with a pipe and pc even if the tune is a little off but throw a little spray or boost in there and its easy to wax a very expensive motor.The best investment you can make is a quality lift,saves so much time and makes jobs much easier.

BLK JDM
08-06-2008, 08:49 AM
Michelin Pilot Powers & the Pilot Power 2CTs, Pirelli Diablo Corsa 3s & the Diablo Rossa, Metzler M3s, Bridgestone BT-014s, and the Dunlop Qualifiers are what you'll see on most enthusiats street bikes. How did you live on those Battleaxes? They suck!!

People that are into stunting or drag racing run the Shinko tires-their cheap, and the center is flat instead of curved.

As for slip ons you have such a wide array of companies but the ones I see the most are Yoshimura, Akrapovic, M4, Muzzy, Brocks, Two Bros, and Graves.

Oh and what bike did Arash end up buying?

Jaimecbr900
08-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Michelin Pilot Powers & the Pilot Power 2CTs, Pirelli Diablo Corsa 3s & the Diablo Rossa, Metzler M3s, Bridgestone BT-014s, and the Dunlop Qualifiers are what you'll see on most enthusiats street bikes. How did you live on those Battleaxes? They suck!!

People that are into stunting or drag racing run the Shinko tires-their cheap, and the center is flat instead of curved.

As for slip ons you have such a wide array of companies but the ones I see the most are Yoshimura, Akrapovic, M4, Muzzy, Brocks, Two Bros, and Graves.

Oh and what bike did Arash end up buying?

Battleaxes aint all that bad. I've had better, but I don't do any canyon carving anymore....so isol good....:D

Arash got a Gixxer 600. :goodjob:

BLK JDM
08-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Battleaxes aint all that bad. I've had better, but I don't do any canyon carving anymore....so isol good....:D

Arash got a Gixxer 600. :goodjob:

Yeah I guess you are too old to be canyon carving w/ a bad back and hip!! Battleaxes seem to take a long time to heat up and get oily fast. I've seen so many people including myself have low speed spills on those tires b/c they don't keep a consistent temperature which plays a major role in traction.

Bwahahahaha A couple of us were up in Dahlonega and Helen this past Sunday. I try to go twice a month but it only works out to be maybe once month.

Jaimecbr900
08-06-2008, 10:46 AM
Yeah I guess you are too old to be canyon carving w/ a bad back and hip!! Battleaxes seem to take a long time to heat up and get oily fast. I've seen so many people including myself have low speed spills on those tires b/c they don't keep a consistent temperature which plays a major role in traction.

Bwahahahaha A couple of us were up in Dahlonega and Helen this past Sunday. I try to go twice a month but it only works out to be maybe once month.

Don't be hatin' cause my hip replacement worked so good that I took your girl.....:tongue1:JP.

I've not had any of those issues with my rear tire, although I haven't pushed it in a while.

MF call a brotha up when you ridin'. I don't know how long Arash's leg can take it, but I'll go. :goodjob:

BLK JDM
08-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Don't be hatin' cause my hip replacement worked so good that I took your girl.....:tongue1:JP.

I've not had any of those issues with my rear tire, although I haven't pushed it in a while.

MF call a brotha up when you ridin'. I don't know how long Arash's leg can take it, but I'll go. :goodjob:

Hahahaha I'll include you in the text list next time we hit the twisties.

Jaimecbr900
08-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Hahahaha I'll include you in the text list next time we hit the twisties.

Word!:goodjob:

JDM-95-Hatch
08-09-2008, 02:52 PM
i think ya'll could do really well in the motorcycle department, i think one thing that would help would be to keep a few common things in stock like sprockets, chains, frame sliders, windscreens, exhausts for some of the common bikes, it gets aggrivating for bikers having to wait on stuff like that. if someone had it in stock at all times who wouldnt want to come there, even some of the bigger retail stores like cycle gear dont have much of anything unless you are into motocross.