PDA

View Full Version : new to bikes...

CSquared
03-19-2005, 10:51 PM
hey I got a few questions... wonder if some of you could help out...

I've never really been into motorcycles but the other day i was playing around with my friends dirt bike. After that i've been sorta hooked on the idea of buying a motorcycle.

Really though i know nothing about them... at all...

First id like to learn some stuff so if you guys have any really informative links that would be cool...

i found this site... so i guess more like this... http://www.motorcycle-training.f2s.com/guide.html

What would be some good beginner bikes? I'd preferably like to spend under 2000 if that is possible haha. Really though i could care less if the thing looks like ass... I just want something that i can play with that wont break down. Manual tranny...

Also something street legal as i would have no way to transport it otherwise... I was actually thinking about a dirt bike at first but theres no way im towing a trailor with or puting that in the back of a supra :)

chuck
03-20-2005, 06:55 AM
assuming you want to go in the sportbike direction...

in my opinion good first bikes would be 500-600cc's. don't worry too much about what the plastics look like, but obviously if you can find a deal on something that hasn't been dropped its a little nicer to have. my first bike was a 92 katana 600, i got it for $2200 on ebay and rode the hell out of it until the carbs started screwing up then i turned around and sold it for $2200. there are a lot of good first bikes out there, you just want something that you feel comfortable on and handles well...some of the other guys may be able to tell you their personal experiences with some of these bikes but some that i looked at when i first started were the katana 600, cbr 600's (f2, f3),ninja 500, fzr 600 and the yzf 600.

David88vert
03-20-2005, 07:25 AM
My suggeston is for you to get a Suzuki GS500E (89-2003). You can get them very cheap (usually 500-2000 for older models), they have a steel frame (won't get hurt if you wreck it), power is low (39hp - won't get out of your control), and is air-cooled (very low maintenance). In additon, since they didn't change them all those years, and many were sold, parts are readily available, and cheap, if you do drop it.

HiPSI
03-20-2005, 11:46 AM
to add to david's post... the various ninja 500 models over the years have been just like the GS500, bikes are cheap to buy, cheap to insure, and cheap to fix... and everything is readily available for it.

dereksi
03-20-2005, 12:04 PM
where can you get a cheap good bike? Ive wanted a bike for a long time and now i have the cash to do so.

HiPSI
03-20-2005, 03:57 PM
where can you get a cheap good bike? Ive wanted a bike for a long time and now i have the cash to do so.

cycle trader

MSTANGSALEEN
03-20-2005, 04:35 PM
Everyone said I should get a 600 to start out so thats why I got a 750,but I have rode other things so I had some kind of concept of it.

falloutboy
03-29-2005, 07:49 PM
hey chris im prolly gettin a bike soon also. are you lookin to get a street bike?

AznTraitor
03-29-2005, 08:14 PM
I say get a Suzuki SV650 or a Honda 599....both are pretty sweet looking bikes and will have more than enough "umph" once you get more confident with your riding.