PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone on here hunt deer?

Tiff-O-Bitties
08-04-2008, 10:39 AM
So, I'm dating a guy that's HUGE into hunting.. Like he went yesterday and put out the corn and stuff for the deer and put up his stands... I wanna be interested in the sport, but I don't know anything about it, plus I'm terrified of guns simply because I don't know anything about them...

Anyone got any pointers? Do you know of anything I could do to get interested?

ShooterMcGavin
08-04-2008, 10:41 AM
go to a shooting range :goodjob:

Tiff-O-Bitties
08-04-2008, 10:44 AM
go to a shooting range :goodjob:

I don't have a GUN!!! Where is a range?!

DieselNuts
08-04-2008, 10:45 AM
do a google search for firing ranges. I just went to Bulls Eye yesterday in Lawrenceville. You can rent guns there if you dont own one. Have you talked to the BF about this? Since he is so into it, Im suprised you didnt talk to him first.

DJ Maestro
08-04-2008, 10:47 AM
I deer hunt. It can be real fun, but can also be real boring. It's what you make of it. If you are interested we could meet at the range in Oakwood and you could fire some rounds with my rifle. Maybe that would help you get over your fear of guns. They are really nothing to fear. If you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer them. :goodjob:

1000cckiller
08-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Shoot him for taking you hunting.

Killer
08-04-2008, 10:49 AM
i use to... hunting is unreal... like maestro said, it's what you make it...

btw... i'm pretty sure (unless the rules have changed recently) bait piles are illegal in ga.... i know it's not hunting season yet... so maybe that doesn't matter.. but i don't think you can hunt over a bait pile here....

ShooterMcGavin
08-04-2008, 10:50 AM
ranges are all over the place. he obviously has guns if he likes to hunt so make him take you ;)

i've never been hunting but would like to go some time, just figure it'd be easier for you to maybe get used to the idea if you at least became comfortable with/around guns :goodjob:

Tiff-O-Bitties
08-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Yes, I've talked to him, and he wants to teach me everything there is to know, but I don't want to go in there completely BLIND.. I hate looking dumb (even though in this category, I really am!) Do I have to buy camo and all of that stuff?

1000cckiller
08-04-2008, 10:52 AM
ranges are all over the place. he obviously has guns if he likes to hunt so make him take you ;)

i've never been hunting but would like to go some time, just figure it'd be easier for you to maybe get used to the idea if you at least became comfortable with/around guns :goodjob:nothing like a korean hunting so thats what you feed us, no chicken uh!

DJ Maestro
i use to... hunting is unreal... like maestro said, it's what you make it...

btw... i'm pretty sure (unless the rules have changed recently) bait piles are illegal in ga.... i know it's not hunting season yet... so maybe that doesn't matter.. but i don't think you can hunt over a bait pile here....

He speaks the troof. You cannot bait the deer, but what her boyfriend is doing is perfectly legal. He is setting corn out in the area he intends to hunt well in advance of the season. What this does is gets the deer use to coming to that area where they know there will be a food source. Once the season starts he will stop laying out the corn and just wait for the hungry deer to come walking through once more.

silversol
like killer said i know its not in season. but poaching is more fun then "hunting" anyways.

mocha latte cupcake
08-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Yes, I've talked to him, and he wants to teach me everything there is to know, but I don't want to go in there completely BLIND.. I hate looking dumb (even though in this category, I really am!) Do I have to buy camo and all of that stuff?

you can go hunting with me tiff. just wear a mini skirt and tank top :D

DJ Maestro
08-04-2008, 10:54 AM

Yes, camo is a must, but so is the super bright hunter's orange vest. I would recommend looking up a hunter safety course in either Hall or Gwinnett and go take it. It's a good class to take and you get certified which makes it a ton easier when getting your hunter's license. :goodjob:

DJ Maestro
08-04-2008, 10:55 AM
you can go hunting with me tiff. just wear a mini skirt and tank top :D

Camo mini skirt and tank top. :lmfao:

Tiff-O-Bitties
08-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Yes, camo is a must, but so is the super bright hunter's orange vest. I would recommend looking up a hunter safety course in either Hall or Gwinnett and go take it. It's a good class to take and you get certified which makes it a ton easier when getting your hunter's license. :goodjob:

Ok, I definitely will do it. I guess I should start researching on that since the season starts in less than a month and a half... :doh:

JM... I'm dumb in the hunting division, but I'm not dumb in general!!

mocha latte cupcake
08-04-2008, 10:59 AM
JM... I'm dumb in the hunting division, but I'm not dumb in general!!

i never said you were babe, i'm just looking out for your... comfort, safety, AND fashionability! geez i'm jus trying to help :cry:

Killer
08-04-2008, 11:00 AM
He speaks the troof. You cannot bait the deer, but what her boyfriend is doing is perfectly legal. He is setting corn out in the area he intends to hunt well in advance of the season. What this does is gets the deer use to coming to that area where they know there will be a food source. Once the season starts he will stop laying out the corn and just wait for the hungry deer to come walking through once more.

we don't know that he'll stop.... lol

DJ Maestro
08-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Tiff, here is the DNR link that explains alot about the safety course.

http://georgiawildlife.dnr.state.ga.us/content/displaycontent.asp?txtDocument=306

The offer stands if you want to try firing a rifle without first shooting one in front of your bf. My wife did not want to shoot in front of me because she thought she would look dumb in front of me so I had a friend take her to the range the first time and she became comfortable shooting after that. :goodjob:

Killer
08-04-2008, 11:03 AM
bow hunting is where it's at....

shooting a bow is just hardcore...

but i basically stopped hunting when i moved to ga.... deer are smaller, finding a good spot is harder.... and it's just too hot most of the time...

(i'm from MI our fawns are bigger than north ga's "big deer") lol

DJ Maestro
08-04-2008, 11:05 AM

but i basically stopped hunting when i moved to ga.... deer are smaller, finding a good spot is harder.... and it's just too hot most of the time...

Hell yeah bow hunting is where it's at. That is the ultimate in deer hunting. Nothing like taking out a deer Tanto style. :D

Tiff-O-Bitties
08-04-2008, 11:05 AM
We're supposed to be going up north to hunt sometime this year... He does all types, bow, powder and rifle..

Killer
08-04-2008, 11:08 AM
We're supposed to be going up north to hunt sometime this year... He does all types, bow, powder and rifle..

up north??? like up state or up the country into another state???

DJ Maestro
08-04-2008, 11:09 AM
I have only hunted in the south, i.e. Georgia and Florida. I would really love to hunt up in the northern states sometime.

eViLMunkey
08-04-2008, 11:10 AM
does running them down with a truck count.. there are an a$$ load of deer up here I almost hit 5 in a day..

Killer
08-04-2008, 11:10 AM
I have only hunted in the south, i.e. Georgia and Florida. I would really love to hunt up in the northern states sometime.

i'd like to hit south ga.... or go out west...

Kevykev
08-04-2008, 11:11 AM
. He does all types, bow, powder and rifle..

Leave him while you still can :lmfao:

sorry, I had too.

DJ Maestro
08-04-2008, 11:12 AM
i'd like to hit south ga.... or go out west...

I used to work with a guy that owned some land down in south georgia. I need to get back up with him and see if he still owns the land. Would be kool to get down there and hunt. If he does, let's go! :goodjob:

Tiff-O-Bitties
08-04-2008, 11:12 AM
up north??? like up state or up the country into another state???

Like, Wisconsin (I think)

Tiff-O-Bitties
08-04-2008, 11:13 AM
Leave him while you still can :lmfao:

sorry, I had too.

Only You Kev.. Only you! :boobies:

SixSquared
08-04-2008, 11:14 AM
I've tagged along on hunts before but have never actually shot (no licenses, etc) but it was really fun. There's a decent range down here in Athens that lets you rent a variety of different firearms (The Firing Lane). Dunno if that's closer or further than other places for you. Definitely take the hunter safety/gun safety course... Guns don't kill people... people with guns do. Picking up a gun and not being comfortable with it is just as dangerous as pointing it at someone's head... if you're nervous, accidents are 100% more likely.

Killer
08-04-2008, 11:18 AM
I used to work with a guy that owned some land down in south georgia. I need to get back up with him and see if he still owns the land. Would be kool to get down there and hunt. If he does, let's go! :goodjob:

yeah man, i'm in... my dad still hunts every year.. he goes to south ga every once in awhile... we also hunt in TN for thanks giving....

we also may be doing some hog hunting in south ga if it gets arranged i'll let you know!

DJ Maestro
08-04-2008, 11:24 AM
yeah man, i'm in... my dad still hunts every year.. he goes to south ga every once in awhile... we also hunt in TN for thanks giving....

we also may be doing some hog hunting in south ga if it gets arranged i'll let you know!

Now that is one hunting I've never tried. I would love to hunt some hogs. That's hunting for real when you actually stalk your target instead of waiting for it to come to you.

ShooterMcGavin
08-04-2008, 11:25 AM

ok there john rambo :rolleyes: :lmfao:

ShooterMcGavin
08-04-2008, 11:26 AM
if you don't let me know about this i will go hunting alone.....for your head :fire:

Killer
08-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Now that is one hunting I've never tried. I would love to hunt some hogs. That's hunting for real when you actually stalk your target instead of waiting for it to come to you.

word... i've never done it either...

they also are eager to attack you so it's def extreme...

Killer
08-04-2008, 11:27 AM
if you don't let me know about this i will go hunting alone.....for your head :fire:

well hell, why don't we just get a side trip goin then???

seriously... one weekend we can just get together and see whats up... look up some places to hunt down there...

Tiff-O-Bitties
08-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Well, i'm glad i could bring you two together!

ShooterMcGavin
08-04-2008, 11:30 AM
well hell, why don't we just get a side trip goin then???

seriously... one weekend we can just get together and see whats up... look up some places to hunt down there...

no i don't...but i do have plenty of katanas! :ninja:

in all seriousness though, is it bad that i would just like to hunt for sport instead of for food? i mean, i have no interest in skinning and cleaning it =/

Killer
08-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Well, i'm glad i could bring you two together!

:goodjob:

lol.. sorry... killing things... just gets guys excited!!! lol

Killer
08-04-2008, 11:34 AM
no i don't...but i do have plenty of katanas! :ninja:

in all seriousness though, is it bad that i would just like to hunt for sport instead of for food? i mean, i have no interest in skinning and cleaning it =/

eh... if you were to just leave it.. yeah then bad.. if you go with someone (like me who isn't a *****.. like you) then no not so bad.. because i for sure would clean that sum b up and eat it!!!!

Tiff-O-Bitties
08-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Hey, carry on! Don't let me stop you.. I might learn something!

J-ROCK
08-04-2008, 11:38 AM
my brother hunts alot! i used to before work got in the way! bow hunting is alot more interesting IMO!

Killer
08-04-2008, 11:44 AM
Hey, carry on! Don't let me stop you.. I might learn something!

to me hunting is just kinda in a guys blood... just instinct..

don't get me wrong not every guy hunts.. and not every guy gets excited about it.. but most guys think it's cool to kill something.. for the sport/challenge....

i have met very few females that are as interested as guys... some don't mind tagging along.. but most girls aren't all about killing animals.. whether it be for food or sport...

if you like the outdoors, hunting is great..... if you like to eat wild game, it's even better....

if you're gonna yell "RUN DEER RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" before your bf pulls the trigger.. it is not for you!

ShooterMcGavin
08-04-2008, 11:48 AM
eh... if you were to just leave it.. yeah then bad.. if you go with someone (like me who isn't a *****.. like you) then no not so bad.. because i for sure would clean that sum b up and eat it!!!!
well you know i can work help cook that sumvabish :yumyum: :D

ShooterMcGavin
08-04-2008, 11:48 AM
if you're gonna yell "RUN DEER RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" before your bf pulls the trigger.. it is not for you!
RUN RUDOLPH RUN!
:lmfao:

DJ Maestro
08-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Georgia deer season for archery weapons opens Sept. 13th and runs through Oct. 10th. You can also hunt black bear with a bow during that time. Who's up for a bear hunt?

J-ROCK
08-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Georgia deer season for archery weapons opens Sept. 13th and runs through Oct. 10th. You can also hunt black bear with a bow during that time. Who's up for a bear hunt?

ill go! lol

BKgen®
08-04-2008, 01:09 PM
f*ck yeah. .50 cal muzzle loader is my weapon of choice. 1 shot, 1 kill.

J-ROCK
08-04-2008, 01:12 PM
f*ck yeah. .50 cal muzzle loader is my weapon of choice. 1 shot, 1 kill.

i like the 7mm rifle my little brother has that bit is crazy!

Killer
08-04-2008, 01:16 PM

i'm out on bear... too big... i am not hauling that out of the woods!!! lol

Killer
08-04-2008, 01:16 PM
well you know i can work help cook that sumvabish :yumyum: :D

we'd have that ish on lock down son!!!! lol

DJ Maestro
08-04-2008, 01:20 PM
i'm out on bear... too big... i am not hauling that out of the woods!!! lol

Damn, good point, didn't think about that. :thinking:

Ok, how about some squirrel? :D

Killer
08-04-2008, 01:24 PM

lol!!!!

i'm too weak for that too :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

lol

BKgen®
08-04-2008, 01:25 PM
thread makes me wanna go hunting right now.

J-ROCK
08-04-2008, 01:25 PM

if you can kill a squirrel with a bow then you really are the s***! lol

DevilK9
08-04-2008, 01:28 PM
I used to hunt in Montana when I was growing up. It was actually fun. I'd shoot deer at insane distances from one mountainside to the next. We'd hike in for miles for elk and moose, and spend hours packing out. It was adventurous and interesting. Here, you walk around...some drunk *******'s gonna blow your f/cking head off even if you're wearing orange. Tree stands bore the hell out of me. Sit and wait.....sit.....and....wait.....sit some more.......see deer close by.....shoot. Yay!

No...hunting in Georgia is not for me, but to each his own. I

f you want to support your man's hobby, sometimes the best thing you can do is stay out of his way and let him go off with his buddies. Just cuz your together, doesn't mean you have to do what he does. My wife and I just had our sixth anniversary and there's not much we have in common (as far as hobbies), but we support each other in all our "ventures".

Not for the field, but when he comes home.....LINK (http://www.thecamoshop.com/camo-lingerie.html)

Killer
08-04-2008, 01:32 PM
if you can kill a squirrel with a bow then you really are the s***! lol

i couldn't now... but when i was 11-13 at the right distance it wouldn't have been a problem...

i practiced all the time preparing for my first year to hunt!!!!

in MI you can't legally hunt until your 12... and that's is still only with a bow... not until you are 14 can you hunt with a gun (well atleast when i lived there)...

DJ Maestro
08-04-2008, 01:34 PM
lol!!!!

i'm too weak for that too http://importatlanta.com/forums/images/smilies/cry.gif http://importatlanta.com/forums/images/smilies/cry.gif http://importatlanta.com/forums/images/smilies/cry.gif http://importatlanta.com/forums/images/smilies/cry.gif

lol

Here you go, you seem to have misplaced yours.....

http://images.google.com/url?q=http://www.anthony-thomas.com/store/images/FancyMixedNuts.jpg&usg=AFQjCNEWSSN9ubGvnYL95ZXKaczRkKn1rw

http://importatlanta.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Killer
08-04-2008, 01:35 PM
lol!!!

J-ROCK
08-04-2008, 01:57 PM
i couldn't now... but when i was 11-13 at the right distance it wouldn't have been a problem...

i practiced all the time preparing for my first year to hunt!!!!

in MI you can't legally hunt until your 12... and that's is still only with a bow... not until you are 14 can you hunt with a gun (well atleast when i lived there)...

that sucks! i was hunting with a gun when i was 10! lol

Tiff-O-Bitties
08-04-2008, 02:12 PM
I used to hunt in Montana when I was growing up. It was actually fun. I'd shoot deer at insane distances from one mountainside to the next. We'd hike in for miles for elk and moose, and spend hours packing out. It was adventurous and interesting. Here, you walk around...some drunk *******'s gonna blow your f/cking head off even if you're wearing orange. Tree stands bore the hell out of me. Sit and wait.....sit.....and....wait.....sit some more.......see deer close by.....shoot. Yay!

No...hunting in Georgia is not for me, but to each his own. I

f you want to support your man's hobby, sometimes the best thing you can do is stay out of his way and let him go off with his buddies. Just cuz your together, doesn't mean you have to do what he does. My wife and I just had our sixth anniversary and there's not much we have in common (as far as hobbies), but we support each other in all our "ventures".

Not for the field, but when he comes home.....LINK (http://www.thecamoshop.com/camo-lingerie.html)

I totally agree; however, he's insisting that I learn and try it. I'm willing to try anything once... I'm not really big into killing things, but I'm big into trying new foods...

J-ROCK
08-04-2008, 02:13 PM
well deer is the best meat in the world when cooked right! during hunting season thats what i live on lol when i aint eating zaxbys!

DevilK9
08-04-2008, 02:20 PM
I totally agree; however, he's insisting that I learn and try it. I'm willing to try anything once... I'm not really big into killing things, but I'm big into trying new foods...

Then I'd drop hunting and go to a Brazilian Steakhouse and ask for the Chef's Sampler. If that's not enough...shoot up the place. You'll have the best of both worlds.

ShooterMcGavin
08-04-2008, 02:23 PM
hunting bear w/a bow and arrow is like bringing a knife to a gunfight...

DJ Maestro
08-04-2008, 02:31 PM
hunting bear w/a bow and arrow is like bringing a knife to a gunfight...

I was thinking that when I typed that post, but think how John Rambo hardcore you'd be if you dropped a big ass bear with a single arrow. :goodjob:

Blitanicle99
08-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Theres probably only a handfull of people that hunt on this forum. Go figure lol

Go to powerstroke.org (my forum) and theres a hunting section... :rolleyes:

Anyway, just do yourself a favor if you want to get into it. Take a hunters saftey course. Take a gun course, yes you don't like guns. But if you learn you can be safe and thats just best for everyone. You might like guns once you arent scared of them anymore.

Generally learning how to hunt is done by the father and when your little like me and don't shutup in a tree stand daddy will slap a dip in your lip at age 6 to get you to quiet down :lmfao:

Watch some hunting shows, get over being afraid of guns, and just do it once. Some like it, some love it, and some hate it. I think being alone in the woods hunting is pretty awesome. Its good to really clear your head and get over some things. To some its their "Rastafa".

BKgen®
08-04-2008, 04:06 PM
I was thinking that when I typed that post, but think how John Rambo hardcore you'd be if you dropped a big ass bear with a single arrow. :goodjob:

BOOOM HEADSHOT!!!!!!

ShooterMcGavin
08-04-2008, 08:02 PM
yeah but i bet you'd think differently when you had some bear teeth and claws in your ass :lmao:

Infinite
08-04-2008, 08:06 PM
I hunt rednecks.
i run out of ammo really quick up here
:(

FlipKing
08-04-2008, 09:10 PM
A. you actually HAVE to have the safety course to get a hunting license that you must also have,lol. B. I suggest dove hunting first, its alot of fun, usually alot of action. Deer hunting is fun, but you have to have patience

Arm&hammer
08-04-2008, 09:19 PM
like chuck Norris
i don't go hunting
i go killing

DJ Maestro
08-05-2008, 07:51 AM
A. you actually HAVE to have the safety course to get a hunting license that you must also have,lol.

That is almost true. If you are over 25 then "technically" you have to take the hunter safety course, but you don't have to show the certificate when getting the license. Here's the excerpt from the DNR sight....

Hunters over age 25 and born after January 1, 1961 must meet hunter education course requirements but need not present their hunter education certificate when buying a season hunting license or possess it while hunting.

ShooterMcGavin
08-05-2008, 08:00 AM
lol that's some retarded sh*t that doesn't surprise me all that much being we're in ga. it's like saying you have to have passed driver's ed but don't really need any proof whatsoever when going to get your license, wtf? :doh:

DJ Maestro
08-05-2008, 08:27 AM
lol that's some retarded sh*t that doesn't surprise me all that much being we're in ga. it's like saying you have to have passed driver's ed but don't really need any proof whatsoever when going to get your license, wtf? :doh:

I completely agree. I know several people that got their hunting license, but never took the hunter's safety course. I will not hunt with them. :no:

Killer
08-05-2008, 09:33 AM
BOOOM HEADSHOT!!!!!!

that would honestly be one of the dumbest things you could ever do...........

bear skulls (from what i've always heard) are incredibly thick.. and are sloped.... an arrow wouldn't do anything...

DJ Maestro
08-05-2008, 09:36 AM
that would honestly be one of the dumbest things you could ever do...........

bear skulls (from what i've always heard) are incredibly thick.. and are sloped.... an arrow wouldn't do anything...

It would if you had one of those handy Turok explosive tip arrows. :goodjob: