PDA

View Full Version : EGR Check Engine Light - 1997 Accord

ChainDriven
08-03-2008, 07:19 AM
I drive a 1997 Honda Accord Ex Vtec Automatic, stock.

I keep having the check engine light come on and the code reads out the EGR valve isn't pulling. I've tried cleaning the valve by removing it and extensively cleaning with brake parts cleaner until shiney and "newer" looking. The seal was still rugged looking, so thinking maybe it could be that? But anyways, i cleaned the valve and reset the check engine code. It came on at exactly 15 miles, reset 30 miles, reset 15 miles, reset 30 miles.

Im not a super mechanic, so would it be easier to just replace the EGR valve, or could it be a sensor, etc?

I need all the help I can get, and i'm strapped on cash and don't care to visit a mechanic who will only over charge me for work I can do myself more or less.

Thanks,
Rob

Big J
08-03-2008, 04:21 PM
The EGR passages in your intake manifold are most likely clogged. There are freeze plugs in the intake that need to come out, and the easiest way to clean the passages is with an oxyacetylene torch. Start the carbon burning with the torch, then shut off the acetylene and let the oxygen burn the passages out.

Or you can try a coat hanger and some spray stuff.

ChainDriven
08-05-2008, 09:21 AM
so remove the intake manifold and clean, correct?

ChainDriven
08-11-2008, 09:42 PM
i'd like to take this time to thank those immature enough to dish out negative "respect points" for my thread in question...Can a guy not ask a damn question without some squid being a ****? seriously...

Thanks for the tip Big J, your advise proved very helpful!

ChainDriven
08-13-2008, 10:42 PM
Ok. I figured it out as you described after scratching my head for awhile. I removed the fuel injector rail and took apart the EGR passaeway housing. I cleaned until it looked new (you can actually see the aluminum that was under the halfinch thick grim!) I cleaned out the holes in the intake manifold that were clunked full also. I cleaned and replaced, cleaning the fuel injectors also since they were there and needed it. Lubed, and replaced. I reset the check and bingo, no more check engine light and smooth sailing.

Regards,
Rob