PDA

View Full Version : suspension question

RL...
08-02-2008, 12:35 AM
I just installed some oem struts on my max because my last set of struts were blown, but since I've put them on, there is a popping sound coming from the front of my car. And when I turn the steering wheel, it feels like something is rubbing against each other then it makes the popping noise. I've installed struts and springs before on my max and I never had this problem, so I don't know what happened this time around...Today i jacked up my car and had my friend turn my steering wheel while I looked for what could be the problem and making the noise, I pinpointed it down to the top of the driver's side strut tower, but I didn't see anything wrong with how it was installed, or anything rubbing/popping. Any advice is welcome, thanks a lot my fellow tuners...

slostang
08-02-2008, 12:40 AM
you could be missing a bushing

speedminded
08-02-2008, 12:51 AM
I just installed some oem struts on my max because my last set of struts were blown, but since I've put them on, there is a popping sound coming from the front of my car. And when I turn the steering wheel, it feels like something is rubbing against each other then it makes the popping noise. I've installed struts and springs before on my max and I never had this problem, so I don't know what happened this time around...Today i jacked up my car and had my friend turn my steering wheel while I looked for what could be the problem and making the noise, I pinpointed it down to the top of the driver's side strut tower, but I didn't see anything wrong with how it was installed, or anything rubbing/popping. Any advice is welcome, thanks a lot my fellow tuners...I assume the nuts on top are tight?

RL...
08-02-2008, 08:41 PM
LOL yes, of course, everything is tight..but I'm going to tear apart my suspension on my next day off and find the problem...what a pain in the ass...:(

Eviloopa
08-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Before you go to great lengths on tearing down, did you replace the Strut Mounts? The isolator sometimes goes bad and causes creaks and pops. You can pick these up at any Parts store for between $45 and $65. The "Monroe"(brand name if you missed that) part number is 904978. Most parts stores carry this line or can definetly cross the number to there's. Good Luck!

G.C
08-05-2008, 10:03 PM
i was thinking axle but since you pin pointed it toward the top i guess thats not it. How does your Balljoint look?