PDA

View Full Version : so apparently we're setting a new trend

Stormhammer
07-30-2008, 02:54 PM
According to my friend over in Japan they're starting to copy our JDM. Which isn't really JDM. So Japan is copying our version of their cars. :thinking:

:screwy: :lmfao:

DieselNuts
07-30-2008, 02:57 PM
how so? How is "our" JDM different from theirs?

Psycho
07-30-2008, 02:58 PM
So are they gonna start buying left-hand drive kits or something? How is our style different from theirs?

Zodiac
how is it different?

Psycho
how so? How is "our" JDM different from theirs?
You beat me 2 it, fawk! :2up:

mocha latte cupcake
07-30-2008, 02:59 PM
interesting. i figured they started copying USDM bs... how funny. i remember seeing "cali" plates on cars bwhahah

DieselNuts
07-30-2008, 03:01 PM
You beat me 2 it, fawk! :2up:
:tongue1:

Stormhammer
07-30-2008, 03:02 PM
apparently our "JDM" is an interpretation of their style, but not a copy - so its different, and they're starting to follow trends that we've set

its all I really know to be honest, its just what I was told

seems like the JDMer's aren't happy that their car isn't 100% JDM :lmao:

Psycho
07-30-2008, 03:02 PM
Can any one explain to me what makes a car "JDM"? How do people look at a riced out civic, and determine whether or not it's JDM or MDM?

mocha latte cupcake
07-30-2008, 03:04 PM
AS A JDM WHORE: you are correct... i'm not happy b/c my car isn't 100% jdm :( but its all good, there are alot of brands that claim jdm but i'm not about to jump into that thread again...

DieselNuts
07-30-2008, 03:05 PM
I think what he means is that you do "JDM" but
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/diggler24/wrong-mike.jpg
and they are copying your wrong ways

eViLMunkey
07-30-2008, 03:06 PM
Hey Psyco Wikipedia JDM it might help.. here did it for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Domestic_Market <-- there's your answer

as (hed) P.E. states you have a question or don't know something Wikipedia that Shiat!

BB1_Luda
07-30-2008, 03:07 PM
I've seen it before.
I don't think it is anything new.

I was reading this prelude forum were this guy travels over to japan for months at a time, and he took plenty of pictures of the car scene.

I remember seeing saw a 5th generation prelude (97-01) white. With acura badges, left hand drive conversion and USDM fog's.
It didn't look too bad.

I guess:
American trend --> JDM
Japanese trend --> USDM

Psycho
07-30-2008, 03:08 PM
So are they copying all the beaners, and making their cars MDM with all the gold trim, and pictures of the virgin mary?

DieselNuts
07-30-2008, 03:09 PM
I have come to the conclusion that if something isn't offered in your home country, it's cool.

DieselNuts
07-30-2008, 03:09 PM
So are they copying all the beaners, and making their cars MDM with all the gold trim, and pictures of the virgin mary?
DING DING DING! What do we have for him Johnny?!

Psycho
07-30-2008, 03:11 PM
Hey Psyco Wikipedia JDM it might help.. here did it for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Domestic_Market <-- there's your answer

as (hed) P.E. states you have a question or don't know something Wikipedia that Shiat!

I know what JDM means, dude. I'm just confused and what JDM as a style is. A riced out car is a riced out car, no matter what nation it's in. A civic with clear headlights and a body kit looks the same whether it's in the US or Japan.

JITB
07-30-2008, 03:11 PM
they also are seeing a trend of donk styled cars.. no lie.. old japanese cars lifted with 24+ inch wheels..

Stormhammer
07-30-2008, 03:24 PM
they also are seeing a trend of donk styled cars.. no lie.. old japanese cars lifted with 24+ inch wheels..

or the classic ones hotrodded, slammed with drag slicks and such?

and by JDM - well a lot of Civics sport components on their cars that were only offered on their japanese counterparts, so they try to clone them as much as possible to be like their Japanese counterpart - only naturally everyone adds their own style and flair to taste, which is what the people over in Japan are starting to mimic.

Like I said - take a look at the Import Alliance photos thread. A lot of those cars people will claim to being "JDM" or attempt to mimic JDM - but with their own added style. And that's what is being mimicked back over in Japan.

Vteckidd
07-30-2008, 03:24 PM
few years back there was a sick CW ITR that i think Topspeed built, and it had a USDM front end conversion and altezzas.

I loled

But i believe it, what our guys are paying big money for and for rare JDM stuff its common place to them. So im sure they are looking for new ways to make themselves stand apart, makes sense they would use our stuff since they dont have it.

Stormhammer
07-30-2008, 03:26 PM
as for USDM mimicks

http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/Mike%20Garrett/Events/Tuning%20Powers%2008/powers10.jpg

Psycho
07-30-2008, 03:28 PM
few years back there was a sick CW ITR that i think Topspeed built, and it had a USDM front end conversion and altezzas.

I loled

But i believe it, what our guys are paying big money for and for rare JDM stuff its common place to them. So im sure they are looking for new ways to make themselves stand apart, makes sense they would use our stuff since they dont have it.
At first I was like "WTF?"

http://a21.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/67/l_e06c1d1b150e455b0d5597beb834f7bc.gif

Then I was like "Ohhhh!"

http://a901.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/17/l_04b2b1211ecb56339f3b0c77fd366624.gif

Vteckidd
07-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Oh and the JDM stuff happened about 5-6 years ago.

The Japs had a craze of BLACK wheels and stock style front lip spoilers. Someone mimicked that style and called it "JDM" STYLE and it stuck.

Then fanboys all across the country started buying black wheels, or "mugen" lips, etc etc etc. It blew up because at the time your car was either stock body with a fast motor or you had some wild body kit. The JDM Craze let the "performance" guys actually be able to spend money on making their car look decent without being called a ricer.

Now , its the other way around, people will look "JDM" way before they want to go fast IMO.

How do you know if its JDM? well its just a style, its not neccesarily one thing. Usually its black wheels, bronze wheels, time attack wheels, stock bodies with lip kit, no flashy stuff, having some JDM part on your car whether its a front end conversion or JDM seats, or some **** like that.

Its really gotten watered down, it used to be you had to have more than a few badges and black wheels to be called "JDM" but now, everyone thinks they are.

Stormhammer
07-30-2008, 03:35 PM
Oh and the JDM stuff happened about 5-6 years ago.

The Japs had a craze of BLACK wheels and stock style front lip spoilers. Someone mimicked that style and called it "JDM" STYLE and it stuck.

Then fanboys all across the country started buying black wheels, or "mugen" lips, etc etc etc. It blew up because at the time your car was either stock body with a fast motor or you had some wild body kit. The JDM Craze let the "performance" guys actually be able to spend money on making their car look decent without being called a ricer.

Now , its the other way around, people will look "JDM" way before they want to go fast IMO.

How do you know if its JDM? well its just a style, its not neccesarily one thing. Usually its black wheels, bronze wheels, time attack wheels, stock bodies with lip kit, no flashy stuff, having some JDM part on your car whether its a front end conversion or JDM seats, or some **** like that.

Its really gotten watered down, it used to be you had to have more than a few badges and black wheels to be called "JDM" but now, everyone thinks they are.

which is why I have a FUKJDM sticker waiting to go on my car as soon as I get my windows tinted :bump:

DieselNuts
07-30-2008, 03:40 PM
I'd like to see pics of that

JITB
07-30-2008, 03:45 PM
I'd like to see pics of that

from the tokyo auto salon
http://culturegarage.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/433_japantrip20177.jpg

HeLLo iM iZzY
07-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Im about to go make some money off of all those USDM fanboys, lolol.

2 containers being shipped out as we speak.

HOLLAAAA, lolol.

RandomGuy
07-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Im about to go make some money off of all those USDM fanboys, lolol.

2 containers being shipped out as we speak.

HOLLAAAA, lolol.you have the greatest sig ever

sakasaku
07-30-2008, 05:11 PM
USDM TYTE YO!

nreggie454
07-30-2008, 06:09 PM
LOL proof that needing to be the most JDM is stupid. Apparently it is über JDM if you copy Americans. Hell, listen to any J-pop and there's even more proof.