PDA

View Full Version : Need Linux Expert for a ??

superfox1
07-29-2008, 12:35 PM
So here at work I have been tasked with doing through put testing. I have been transferring files via FTP between 2 windows boxes and adjusting the TCP window size. When I switch to the Linux boxes, I can transfer fine, but I have no idea how to change the TCP window size. Everything I have read says not to adjust them because of the auto adjusting that Linux does, but my clients want to know what change the window size will make. I know it can be done, I just need to know how! HELP!

guinness
07-29-2008, 02:48 PM
what exactly is it you are trying to do?are you trying to get windows programs to work on a linux box or are you just wanting to know how to resize the TCP window size?

superfox1
07-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Sorry, I should have been a little more descriptive. I am trying to adjust the tcp window size in a Linux box.

I know how to do it on a Windows OS, but the boxes I am testing now run RedHat Enterprise.

guinness
07-29-2008, 03:34 PM
simple,here's one of many solutions that you could use!!first off,does the redhat already have WINE on it?if not,then go to ota.be/linux/workshops/19981 or winehq.org.the first one will give you a description on what wine exactly is and what it can and does for you.the second one is the actual vendor's page that you can download it from.from my work on linux/unix,redhat,fedora,solaris,slackware,ubuntu,etc. should all have wine preloaded on it....depending on the version/age.look into the redhat you have and if it doesn't,then follow these steps listed above.if you have any other questions,feel free to ask me.this area isn't really my expertise-spot,cisco is.i am certified,but rarely used.are you certified?

superfox1
07-29-2008, 10:08 PM
simple,here's one of many solutions that you could use!!first off,does the redhat already have WINE on it?if not,then go to ota.be/linux/workshops/19981 or winehq.org.the first one will give you a description on what wine exactly is and what it can and does for you.the second one is the actual vendor's page that you can download it from.from my work on linux/unix,redhat,fedora,solaris,slackware,ubuntu,etc. should all have wine preloaded on it....depending on the version/age.look into the redhat you have and if it doesn't,then follow these steps listed above.if you have any other questions,feel free to ask me.this area isn't really my expertise-spot,cisco is.i am certified,but rarely used.are you certified?

Nope, not certified, used to use it all day at my previous job..now I work for a Cisco Silver partner... You are a Cisco man too! WHere do you work?

Oh, also, thanks for the tip. I will try it tomorrow.

superfox1
07-30-2008, 08:49 AM
ok, just checked out WINEHQ. I have used that before on a dualboot box I was run ning at my house. That isn't going to help me though. I am working 100% Con a Linux box and do not need any Windows programs to run on the box. I am just trying to adjust the tcp window size to increase the allotted bandwidth between two Linux boxes.

guinness
07-30-2008, 09:17 AM
oh ok.well let me paly with it and get back with you soon.i got to run and take care of something,but i'll let you know.

ironchef
07-30-2008, 10:06 AM
Don't know linux, but this seems like it might help?
http://acs.lbl.gov/TCP-tuning/linux.html

superfox1
07-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Don't know linux, but this seems like it might help?
http://acs.lbl.gov/TCP-tuning/linux.html

I have tried that...didn't work...thanks for looking though.

eViLMunkey
07-30-2008, 03:36 PM
soak in gas, light match, and run always seems to work for me..

j/k