PDA

View Full Version : General Chat What makes the Honda buyers SO brand loyal?

87 Turbo II
07-28-2008, 07:47 AM
Ok, I've been wondering for the longest time. Everyone here keeps going crazy oogling over lowered CRXs Accords, and Civics that to me just look stock with wheels and maybe different headlights or something. Then there was a thread a while back somewhere along the lines of "List all the cars you've owned" and I found out that most people who own a Honda now, owned like 3 or more before that, with maybe a nissan or something sprinkled in the middle before they went back to Honda. Then (this one pisses me off a bit) there are lots of threads in the Car pictures section that have titles like "Got wheels on the coupe" or "the hatch is lowered" etc etc and I'm thinking "you cocky bastard, how full of yourself do you have to be to list a bodystyle only, and assume that we will know it is a Civic? I mean tons of cars come as a coupe, as a sedan, and as a hatchback". I have ridden in many Hondas and the interior quality didn't seem like anything spectacular, honestly the styling has NEVER done anything for me, and they're not particularly quick unless you get the top-of-the-line model or do a bit of work to make them quick. I just don't see why everyone loves them so much. Hell even owning one means you have to worry about your car being stolen more than the average Joe. Look, I am not insulting the Honda name, but I honestly have to know why everyone keeps coming back to them.

BKgen®
07-28-2008, 08:05 AM
:yes:

OTG Signs
07-28-2008, 08:19 AM
Because they're high quality cars with incredible reliability and affordable prices.

BKgen®
07-28-2008, 08:21 AM
Because they're high quality cars with incredible reliability and affordable prices.

^he's got a point.

OTG Signs
07-28-2008, 08:23 AM
Why change brands if you have nothing but a great experience owning one?

It seems like more risk than it's worth to look at other brands.

87 Turbo II
07-28-2008, 08:26 AM
That does make sense. I guess I just don't think an Accord is any different than lets say.... a Camry. They're both priced similarly, they were both in the same class in terms of performance and options, are just about as reliable, but you'll find way more Accord followers.

OTG Signs
07-28-2008, 08:29 AM
That does make sense. I guess I just don't think an Accord is any different than lets say.... a Camry. They're both priced similarly, they were both in the same class in terms of performance and options, are just about as reliable, but you'll find way more Accord followers.

I think that's because every magazine comparison i've read has the Accord in the lead. Always.

I like the 08 Camry more than the 08 Accord because of two reasons: 1) The bulbous headlights look horrible, and 2) The 63 buttons on the radio surround are overkill.

BABY J
07-28-2008, 08:35 AM
1 word. ENGINES.

And I do not mean this in the HP department. Honda is an ENGINE company that happens to make cars. Very different than CAR manufacturers. More of their F1 racing technology makes it to their cars than any other make, w/ GM probably a close second. Also - the seating angle is superb if you ask me - you can see quite a bit out of the front window of ANY Honda, unlike say, Mitsubishi w/ their horrible viewing angles. Honda/Acura makes awesome cars - there is no way around it.

87 Turbo II
07-28-2008, 08:35 AM
It just still feels like something is missing,but maybe I am over thinking it. I mean, good value and reliability are indeed very valid points. I can only assume the answer to my question of why people go ape$hit over modded old CRXs and Civics is because owning those cars themselves means they know the mods better, and maybe they're seeing some rare piece I am overlooking. I appreciate your partaking in serious answers and not posting soemthing like "Whay do you have to hate on hondas? why would'nt welike them!?" because I was 100% serious in asking my question. REPS for you.

Nerdsrock22
07-28-2008, 09:26 AM
I think it has a lot to do with history. There are very few brands that have a single line of cars that stretch back 30+ years. And the ones that do have extremely loyal fanbases (Corvette, Mustang, etc). A Civic owner can look back to 1972 and see where it all started.

Furthermore, they provide a perfect balance of sport and security. For one they are a company entrenched in racing and race technology, yet they provide cars that are easy to drive and cheap to maintain.

Finally, the entry point stretches from a $500 CRX to a $90,000 NSX. There is always something to look up to, but both of those cars use the same technology and have the same spirit and heritage.

BTW I think the only other company that pulls this off is VW.

Mike Lowrey
07-28-2008, 10:09 AM
Cheap Car Cost + Cheap Aftermarket Parts + Reliability = Your Answer

Catnip
07-28-2008, 10:42 AM
I never heard of hondas being stolen more than any other car until I got on here. Where I live it's not a big thing and where my siblings live throughout the country, it's not a big deal.

I've had 3 hondas and wouldn't hesitate to go back. My last one was a 94 civic hatchback with a 95 GSR engine and B16 tranny (not a stock engine, 6 puck stage 2 clutch, etc). It was a VERY fun little car, felt solid, felt light, got AWESOME gas mileage while still being able to wax an auto LS1 camaro/firebird. The other honda(errr, acura) I had was a 90 integra, lowered with an ebay turbo kit and ebay clutch kit. This car felt the exact same, except it would bake second gear from a stop till it was out of gear. I won't mention the 97 civic as I didn't drive it, it just sat in my backyard because of a spun rod bearing (bought that way, would've been a couple hundred to fix)

What's my point? I had about $650 in each of them... I can provide pics, they were decent looking cars, lol.

OneSlow5pt0
07-28-2008, 12:04 PM
ive never owned a honda,and most lieky neevr will.......but im pretty loyal to mazda and toyota,mine were great......and my chevy has been good too

Zeeb
07-28-2008, 12:19 PM
I love hondas, reliablity is a main factor. I went from driving around my civic for 5 years and beating it to death and now own an s2000. I jumped in the s2000 and felt right at home. Didnt have to learn anything new cause it was a honda. The styling is just peoples opinions. I love all hondas whether its the stock ass 95 integra with just rims and lowered. or its the all out turboed prelude or what ever it might be. same with acura, all the same. To me the styling of them are great unless you turn it into rice. But for the most part people who keep them clean looking is where its at. < i like that style.

OneSlow5pt0
07-28-2008, 12:22 PM
i mean thats the thing ive never really gotten botu honda,i mean i agree thier fantasic cars and u can make quick with very little money,only things u can compare them to is sbc's

but i just cant get back styling,their just pretty basic,i mean im not saying thier ugly...just not my thing,only one i like is the 2nd gen CRX.....but this is just me

JITB
07-28-2008, 05:37 PM
ive always wanted an integra, and would have been owned one if not the fear of it being stolen...lol

its not only honda that people are loyal too.. Its with every car manufacture... but its just apparent to us ricers. we got mazda /toyota/nissan fiends all around. There arent as manyTRUE loyal honda heads around as we would like to think. Alot are followers and or trendies! Its not hard to tell the difference.

87 Turbo II
07-28-2008, 10:00 PM
Ok everyone, I have read all the replies and it would seem that a lot of what has been said can be said for a lot of manufacturers with a few small extra points for Honda along the way. I agree with the last post in a sense that the honda loyalties only appear to be greater in number and it isn't quite as one sided as it seems. REPs to anyone who replied (that I can give REPS to). Thanks.

tdurr
07-28-2008, 10:22 PM
to you 78, my first car was a 87 gxl. Bought it for 600. didnt run, then a month later i got a 88 accord. And was content with the accord, tried gettin it running, didnt have enough money for a new engine(rotary prices ftl!) and then just started messing with the accord. Even tho my specific car doesn't have a large parts market, bottom line is that its a Honda. Great gas mileage, cheap parts when stuff breaks, and it can take a **** ton of abuse for how ever long i feel like giving it.

It really comes down to the fact that its cheap to buy, cheap to fix, cheap to mod, and you can do just about everything to it with a buddy or two and a full weekend.
T-durr

puregroove
07-28-2008, 10:26 PM
"you cocky bastard, how full of yourself do you have to be to list a bodystyle only, and assume that we will know it is a Civic?

I http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l230/puregroove_dot_org/rofl.gif after reading this...

I used to own a honda and can appreciate a clean car when I see one. I agree that the parts are plentiful and they are easy cars to work on--reliable and fuel efficient.

I, however, love the challenge of maintaining an older car. There is much reward in it. :goodjob:

Okay, carry on. http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l230/puregroove_dot_org/okay.gif

Arm&hammer
07-28-2008, 10:48 PM
the reason i own a honda is because of the gas prices and they are fun.
if gas prices were still $1 for a gallon i defiantly wouldnt be rocking a honda

civic95
07-29-2008, 05:51 AM
You'd have to own one to understand. I've driven all sorts of cars. They all seem to be missing something, somewhere. I even wanted to buy a lexus before getting my S2000. I test drove a couple IS300's, even a IS350. Great looking cars, but every control, the armrests, and the just the placement of the gauges, etc were off. The ride didn't feel quite right either. A friend of ours has a RX350, another has a LX570 I think it is. They look awesome, but they don't drive right. You almost get no feedback from them.

Honda's aren't very fast (well most of them), but that's not what they are designed to be. The interiors don't have the exquisite materials, but they are done right. Everything about them is simple. Not to mention they last forever without any trouble if you take care of them.

RL...
07-29-2008, 11:16 AM
They last forever, good gas mileage, parts are cheap, there's write-ups of how to do any kind of engine swap/turbo/supercharged online which have been dyno proven to make x amount of hp. The only Honda that appeals to me is the s2k, but I'm too big to fit in it comfortably. Now, if the integra and the rsx were rwd...I would definitely buy one!!!!!!!!!!!!

JITB
07-29-2008, 02:18 PM
They last forever, good gas mileage, parts are cheap, there's write-ups of how to do any kind of engine swap/turbo/supercharged online which have been dyno proven to make x amount of hp. The only Honda that appeals to me is the s2k, but I'm too big to fit in it comfortably. Now, if the integra and the rsx were rwd...I would definitely buy one!!!!!!!!!!!!

that whole paragraph can go for sooo many cars... Alot of folks dont really know the potential of other cars. you would be amazed what you could do to a toyota/mazda/nissan with the price of hondas. And most of the cars in the fwd honda market dont have half the features other cars they look down upon do..

BABY J
07-29-2008, 02:27 PM
that whole paragraph can go for sooo many cars... Alot of folks dont really know the potential of other cars. you would be amazed what you could do to a toyota/mazda/nissan with the price of hondas. And most of the cars in the fwd honda market dont have half the features other cars they look down upon do..

Do tell.

JITB
07-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Do tell.

torque... :ninja:

Nemesis
07-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Ive owned Subaru, Nissan, Ford, Mercury, and honestly Ill probably one of each in my liftetime, but Ill probably never own a Honda. I have sat in a Honda I liked. I dont like how they sound, I hate the lake of TQ. They are made for small japanese people...so whatever. :)

cactusEG
07-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Cheap Car Cost + Cheap Aftermarket Parts + Reliability = Your Answer

that about sums it up...

Nerdsrock22
07-29-2008, 11:36 PM
They are made for small japanese people...so whatever. :)

I'm 6' 5" and have owned 5 different Hondas from 1981-2007. I've never once been uncomfortable.

I get in a good ole american S10 and my head is scraping the headliner and i'm chewing on my knees.

Not trying to fight with you, just throwin in my :2cents:.

93gcsedan
07-30-2008, 03:24 AM
You'd have to own one to understand. I've driven all sorts of cars. They all seem to be missing something, somewhere. I even wanted to buy a lexus before getting my S2000. I test drove a couple IS300's, even a IS350. Great looking cars, but every control, the armrests, and the just the placement of the gauges, etc were off. The ride didn't feel quite right either. A friend of ours has a RX350, another has a LX570 I think it is. They look awesome, but they don't drive right. You almost get no feedback from them.

Isn't the IS300, IS350, RX350, and LX570 all luxury cars/suvs? It seems that you were in the market for a higher end sports car, ie you purchased an S2000, how can you really compare such different cars. Of course the other cars had less feedback from them because when the manufactures were building them they were looking for comfort not perfomance.

But I do see what the op says about the Honda/Acura cars. Yes they do see they make reliable cars that are cheap and cheap to maintain. But it is kinda ridiculus. I myself have loyalty towards Subaru I have owned 3 so far and I definitally see myself owning more, and I don't ever see myself going to the "dark side"(fwd).

dumpdaccord
07-30-2008, 06:30 AM
Cheap Car Cost + Cheap Aftermarket Parts + Reliability=fuel efficent = Your Answer

if gas wasnt what it is id drive a newer toyota supra or landcrusier......always loved toyota...but gas is what it is and i have 4 honda made vehicles in my driveway:D

3.5altman
07-30-2008, 06:40 AM
I sold my civic back in 04 and I've been wanting it back since i sold it. gas mileage is awesome,and looks was awesome. Good fun car to drive, may not be the fastest but its enough for me

DESTRO_91
07-30-2008, 07:54 AM
Like it or not, the Honda Civic is the cornerstone of this lifestyle (import tuning) that we love so much. For everyone who feels connected to our culture, no matter what car you drive now, has at least one time wanted a Civic, just to see what you could do with it. I've seen some beautiful Hondas here in the A. The "JDM" craze has kinda waned on everyone except the Honda loyal. On another note, brand loyalty has a psychological angle to it. Think about all the things people buy over and over on a regular basis, tooth paste, soap, fast food...usually the same brand, and why...? Oh yeah, gas mileage is only a perk NOW, nobody cared about gas mileage two years ago.

G.C
07-30-2008, 08:05 AM
Because its Cheap,Gas is a Bit*h, and they make good looking cars.plus with a little money on top of that it will be faster and have more TQ than a mustytang.

Sport1.3
07-30-2008, 08:15 AM
because they're cute :dunno:

josh green
07-30-2008, 08:28 AM
I seriously dont understand everyones fetish with RWD. I have driven plenty and have driven some well setup hondas and FWD isnt a bad thing. The only thing a RWD can do that a fwd cannot is "step out" from acceleration.
People have always complained about Honda's lack of torque. Not many stop to think that Honda has ALWAYS made light vehicles (except for today) and gobs of torque really isnt needed. Who cares how high you have to rev it the gearing will make up for it. Even by todays standards Civics are still lighter than anything else. Hell a Cobalt is over 3k lbs.
My 2 favorite Hondas happen to be RWD. The S2k which is one of the BEST handling cars ever that is easily attainable, BUT people complain about its lack of torque or what not. It seems to do plenty fine through the mountains and around the race tracks without it. The NSX being the next. If you have ever actually driven one and I dont mean around town this car is sex. It handles so well its rediculous, its light, the brakes, I just cannot get over the balance of the car. Who cares that a new 350z makes more power and more torque, the NSX will kill it through the bends. I know there is quite the price gap but honesly the NSX was worth the price.
To the OP, you having a Mazda should know that more Mazdas are raced by private parties than any other car. Miatas and the older rx-7's have a big fan base for taking to the mountains, auto-x or race track. It seems a lot of people that own them now dont do anything with them ohter than hard park them. I guess thats fine if your into a show thing, hammered out poor handling cars or "JDM", but I have always owned a car to drive and not to spend money on "unique" things. I think the whole roof rack thing is silly if you bought it and dont carry a bike on it. But some people strive to be different in parking thier cars.
Look at the sheer volume of Hondas on the roads today, they were cheap and reliable back when they are new so people bought the crap out of them. Look at people other brand options for the cars age, I certainly wouldnt want an escourt, probe, cavalier, neon, gran prix, intrepid, tarus, etc...

civic95
07-30-2008, 08:45 AM
Isn't the IS300, IS350, RX350, and LX570 all luxury cars/suvs? It seems that you were in the market for a higher end sports car, ie you purchased an S2000, how can you really compare such different cars. Of course the other cars had less feedback from them because when the manufactures were building them they were looking for comfort not perfomance.

But I do see what the op says about the Honda/Acura cars. Yes they do see they make reliable cars that are cheap and cheap to maintain. But it is kinda ridiculus. I myself have loyalty towards Subaru I have owned 3 so far and I definitally see myself owning more, and I don't ever see myself going to the "dark side"(fwd).

I wanted a 5/6 Speed sport sedan, but I couldn't find anything I liked so I just got a S2000. Accord, and TSX are too slow. Everything else japanese is too big, except for the IS. Didn't want a german car.

teh_mugen18
07-30-2008, 10:20 AM
I've driven about 3 cars in my lifetime, and my first was a 1989 Toyota Corolla. It made ~89whp, but it was NOT able to keep up with anything, and the cornering/braking on it was somewhat terrible as well. Nowhere near as fun as my Teg. My Teg, is a 1990. Now, this just proves how Honda made their lightweight cars, as my teg only makes 7hp more than the Corolla did, but it is indeed much much faster and the handling is a lot better.:goodjob: :2cents:

Honda does a good job!

ash7
07-30-2008, 11:25 AM
I'm loyal to Honda because of the "comfort zone" factor. If it were to break down, i know i could fix it, and if i didn't have the part - i know who to call.

I know which parts can swap over to what - and what it takes to make them fit.

I know if i screw up my civic so badly that it can't be salvaged, i can find another one, change out all the parts, and keep on without having to "lose everything."

I've had eight hondas and one nissan (which was my first car)
-jonathan

Kamikaze
07-30-2008, 11:33 AM
ive never owned a honda,and most lieky neevr will.......but im pretty loyal to mazda and toyota,mine were great

x2 with the addition of VW. :goodjob:

Zeeb
07-30-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm loyal to Honda because of the "comfort zone" factor. If it were to break down, i know i could fix it, and if i didn't have the part - i know who to call.

I know if i screw up my civic so badly that it can't be salvaged, i can find another one, change out all the parts, and keep on without having to "lose everything."

-jonathan

same with me. Its about knowledge. I know and am familiar with honda way more than anything else...

JITB
07-30-2008, 11:39 AM

-jonathan

i agree, thats the reason ive owned mazdas, the comfort of knowing if anything goes wrong it can be repaired with ease..

BlueHatch
07-30-2008, 11:49 AM
i have my 7th and 8th honda's in my garage and driveway. i love them for all the reasons stated before my post. dont get me wrong i enjoy looking at other cars, but id just rather drive a honda

Terror
07-30-2008, 01:16 PM
IMO.. Great cars, reasonable prices, reliability, manufacturer history.... and they stand out in a way from other manufacturers. And like a lot of previous posts.. once you get to know one.. your really dont want to leave the brand.

DieselNuts
07-30-2008, 01:17 PM
Ok, I've been wondering for the longest time. Everyone here keeps going crazy oogling over lowered CRXs Accords, and Civics that to me just look stock with wheels and maybe different headlights or something. Then there was a thread a while back somewhere along the lines of "List all the cars you've owned" and I found out that most people who own a Honda now, owned like 3 or more before that, with maybe a nissan or something sprinkled in the middle before they went back to Honda. Then (this one pisses me off a bit) there are lots of threads in the Car pictures section that have titles like "Got wheels on the coupe" or "the hatch is lowered" etc etc and I'm thinking "you cocky bastard, how full of yourself do you have to be to list a bodystyle only, and assume that we will know it is a Civic? I mean tons of cars come as a coupe, as a sedan, and as a hatchback". I have ridden in many Hondas and the interior quality didn't seem like anything spectacular, honestly the styling has NEVER done anything for me, and they're not particularly quick unless you get the top-of-the-line model or do a bit of work to make them quick. I just don't see why everyone loves them so much. Hell even owning one means you have to worry about your car being stolen more than the average Joe. Look, I am not insulting the Honda name, but I honestly have to know why everyone keeps coming back to them.

Ignorance is bliss :ninja:

Terror
07-30-2008, 01:21 PM

Honda's aren't very fast (well most of them), but that's not what they are designed to be. The interiors don't have the exquisite materials, but they are done right. Everything about them is simple. Not to mention they last forever without any trouble if you take care of them.

:werd: i completely agree... very well said.

Professor X
07-30-2008, 02:33 PM
I will sum up my entire post with this one word, EFFICIENT!

My first car was not a Honda, but my last 8 cars have been. My dad bought a 1993 Legend brand new and I loved it, however he had a Toyota Celica before that. I started out with a 1990 Toyota Tercel. I loved the body line. I immediately wanted to make it fast and look good. Gas mileage was great, however there was no aftermarket support and the platform was pretty lame for building. Let's compare a 1990 Honda Civic. It comes stock with double wishbone suspension, a rev-happy peppy engine (notice I did not say fast), a nicely geared transmission, and nice looks. None of this requires you to swap over an Integra engine or brakes to enjoy, however you can have fun EFFICIENTLY!

I have to agree with Josh Green here. How many of our parents bought civics and accords in the early and mid 1990's. The sports car market was dying and the luxury car craze was not here. Lots of people bought civics, integras, accords, and preludes because of their EFFICIENCY. Teenagers were given Civics and Integras by their parents as first cars. Look at your other options in 1994 for a sport compact car. I will not bash other car makes and models, but there is no way you can place the Civic or Integra in last place of that debate.

There have never been a shortage of mods to do to these cars. With a 1992 Civic, you can choose from over 20 different engine combinations with drag, autocrossing, road race, or mpg in mind. Because of the huge aftermarket support and availability of used parts, you can build a nice fun car for pretty cheap and the engines are very EFFICIENT. Maintenance was never high so you can spend your money on mods instead of keeping the car running.

Is it just me or is it completely retarted to bring up lack of torque when discussing Hondas. Honda chose to be very EFFICIENT with their engine design. As a result, their engines put out very respectible horsepower numbers considering the displacement. You can't have horsepower without torque, by the way, but that is another debate. Please show me another engine of the same displacement that makes a ton more torque. The b16 has less than 1600cc's of displacement. The b18c has less than 1800cc's of displacement. Big surprise that it doesn't make gobs of torque. The sr20de puts out approximately the same horsepower as the b18b but 140 foot pounds of torque as a 2.0, while the b18b puts out approximately 132 foot pounds of torque as a 1.8. WOW, a whole 8 foot pounds of torque. While we're comparing apples to oranges, why not compare the h22 to the sr20 (i'm not putting down the sr20) or how about the k24 from the tsx which puts out close to 200wtq with bolt ons, cams, and tuning.

I am not saying Honda is the best by far, however, most of the engineering aspects used in mid 90's Honda's can be found in most of the cars on the road today. While other car manufacturers used iron blocks and closed deck sleeve designs, Honda used aluminum blocks with open deck sleeve designs. Variable valve timing and high compression are another technique that was not widely used that is now used to be EFFICIENT! How else could the cars today achieve all of the emissions and safety standards while making more power. One word, EFFICIENCY! :cheers:

2turbo4u
07-30-2008, 03:08 PM
The main reason for loyalty is what the import aftermarket done for the cars. It helped honda out with an internal solution to chassis building. The swaps, many motors and tranny can be used up and down the line to make a slow car a quick car. So the market followed with intakes, headers, suspension,motor mounts, etc. How many other manufacturers can do that? For the m ost part all honda/acura are fwd. So Honda stayed true to there basic idea and innovated new genre like near luxury class, spin off upmarket brand with their own dealerships.

DieselNuts
07-30-2008, 03:11 PM
I will sum up my entire post with this one word, EFFICIENT!

My first car was not a Honda, but my last 8 cars have been. My dad bought a 1993 Legend brand new and I loved it, however he had a Toyota Celica before that. I started out with a 1990 Toyota Tercel. I loved the body line. I immediately wanted to make it fast and look good. Gas mileage was great, however there was no aftermarket support and the platform was pretty lame for building. Let's compare a 1990 Honda Civic. It comes stock with double wishbone suspension, a rev-happy peppy engine (notice I did not say fast), a nicely geared transmission, and nice looks. None of this requires you to swap over an Integra engine or brakes to enjoy, however you can have fun EFFICIENTLY!

I have to agree with Josh Green here. How many of our parents bought civics and accords in the early and mid 1990's. The sports car market was dying and the luxury car craze was not here. Lots of people bought civics, integras, accords, and preludes because of their EFFICIENCY. Teenagers were given Civics and Integras by their parents as first cars. Look at your other options in 1994 for a sport compact car. I will not bash other car makes and models, but there is no way you can place the Civic or Integra in last place of that debate.

There have never been a shortage of mods to do to these cars. With a 1992 Civic, you can choose from over 20 different engine combinations with drag, autocrossing, road race, or mpg in mind. Because of the huge aftermarket support and availability of used parts, you can build a nice fun car for pretty cheap and the engines are very EFFICIENT. Maintenance was never high so you can spend your money on mods instead of keeping the car running.

Is it just me or is it completely retarted to bring up lack of torque when discussing Hondas. Honda chose to be very EFFICIENT with their engine design. As a result, their engines put out very respectible horsepower numbers considering the displacement. You can't have horsepower without torque, by the way, but that is another debate. Please show me another engine of the same displacement that makes a ton more torque. The b16 has less than 1600cc's of displacement. The b18c has less than 1800cc's of displacement. Big surprise that it doesn't make gobs of torque. The sr20de puts out approximately the same horsepower as the b18b but 140 foot pounds of torque as a 2.0, while the b18b puts out approximately 132 foot pounds of torque as a 1.8. WOW, a whole 8 foot pounds of torque. While we're comparing apples to oranges, why not compare the h22 to the sr20 (i'm not putting down the sr20) or how about the k24 from the tsx which puts out close to 200wtq with bolt ons, cams, and tuning.

I am not saying Honda is the best by far, however, most of the engineering aspects used in mid 90's Honda's can be found in most of the cars on the road today. While other car manufacturers used iron blocks and closed deck sleeve designs, Honda used aluminum blocks with open deck sleeve designs. Variable valve timing and high compression are another technique that was not widely used that is now used to be EFFICIENT! How else could the cars today achieve all of the emissions and safety standards while making more power. One word, EFFICIENCY! :cheers:

More like 593 words... :ninja:

Zeeb
07-30-2008, 03:13 PM
:lmfao: repped -

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DieselNuts again.

87 Turbo II
07-30-2008, 04:00 PM
Well I can see all the points. I'm surprised nobody asked me if I was a Mazda loyal myself. It's even more narrow. My previous car was a rotary and my next car will most likely be one as well. My reasoning is because it is different, and I know a lot about the engine. I am not trying to be hypocritical but I just love my rotary, and I wanted to know the Honda end of that spectrum. A lot of good answers, but along with what JITB says, a lot of the things can be said about MANY cars, maybe it wouldn't hurt a great number of us here to buy something different next time around, including myself. To the person who said they've never understood the RWD craze, it is not JUST being able to kick the tail out, it's the fact that on a FWD car the front wheels have to do the accelerating, the braking, and the turning, by giving power to the rear wheels, you take a task off of the front wheels and give it less strain, also overpowered FWD cars suffer from torque steer. All in all it seems Honda is doing something definitely right.

chunky
07-30-2008, 04:16 PM
1) I like to rev
2) I was drawn to the concept of a sleeper.
3) cheap to own/maintain, and not too expensive to mod
4) just plain fun to drive.
5) Probably the hardest point to explain, but honda engines are pretty amazing. The k20a2 is probably the finest 2.0L 4 cylinder engine ever made. There have been other 4 cylinder engines that maybe made more power stock, or had more electronic wizardry, but Honda found the perfect balance when they built this engine. Plus, I'm an all motor head, and Honda's commitment to n/a motors lines up well with my personal philosophies.

Zeeb
07-30-2008, 04:22 PM
1) I like to rev
2) I was drawn to the concept of a sleeper.
3) cheap to own/maintain, and not too expensive to mod
4) just plain fun to drive.
5) Probably the hardest point to explain, but honda engines are pretty amazing. The k20a2 is probably the finest 2.0L 4 cylinder engine ever made. There have been other 4 cylinder engines that maybe made more power stock, or had more electronic wizardry, but Honda found the perfect balance when they built this engine. Plus, I'm an all motor head, and Honda's commitment to n/a motors lines up well with my personal philosophies.

Not... The F20 is :D:D, and the finest 2.2L engine is the F22 :D FTW s2000 < Honda at its best.... Besides formula one engines.

and to the second. amen. N/A FTW

ash7
07-30-2008, 05:56 PM
To the person who said they've never understood the RWD craze, it is not JUST being able to kick the tail out, it's the fact that on a FWD car the front wheels have to do the accelerating, the braking, and the turning, by giving power to the rear wheels, you take a task off of the front wheels and give it less strain, also overpowered FWD cars suffer from torque steer. All in all it seems Honda is doing something definitely right.

RWD cars have a slightly greater control capacity than FWD cars, but are not as nimble in the easy corners, or as easy to recover from a mistake.

RWD cars also can have issues when provided with "too much" power - for instance, the tail sliding out in a corner and providing instant oversteer.

Here again, such as we did with brand loyalty - we run into the same issue of driver preference; and what they're more prepared to deal with. :goodjob:

-jonathan

Humphrizzle
07-30-2008, 06:01 PM

Because it makes me smile.

Humphrizzle
07-30-2008, 06:07 PM
The k20a2 is probably the finest 2.0L 4 cylinder engine ever made.

I disagree.

I am biased towards the B16 but there are a few others I would prefer over the K20a2.

Including:
K24A2
K20A
B16A/A2
F22C
H23A

All in all, every Honda engine was made very well but most are very well underpowered.

but, find a stock Civic EX 2000 and get a stock Cavalier 2000 and see which one is more responsive, quick, nimble and rev happy in all aspects.

I love my car because I bought it and I know almost everything about it.

I don't think I'll ever sell it.

Dirty Octopus™
07-30-2008, 06:08 PM
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l230/puregroove_dot_org/okay.gif
STOLEN! :D

but for real though... they're just so much damn fun! http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j261/Knonimous/GIFs/shrug.gif

josh green
07-30-2008, 06:26 PM
In chunky's defense, the k20a2 is quite possible the SMOOTHEST 4cylinder engine that I have ever encountered. I believe that the K series are better than the F20/F22's b/c of the variable cam timing. It allows for more power throughout the entire rev range. The K's take a little more work to get to rev to the F/B series capabilities, but tis possible. The F series is badass and MAY have a better flowing head but the K is king as far as NA goes.
You must remember, the power output of the B/H/D/F engines were very healthy for their time. Cars are heavy and much larger than they used to be so auto makers are making them more powerful and bigger brakes b/c the cars are 500lbs or more heavier (hondas that is). Blame the weight on the trucks and SUV's that are the size of buses and will completely obliterate your older civic/accords. Did you know the new Civics are the same size as the early 90's accords and the FIT has the same wheelbase as the EF hatch's and still a couple hundred lbs heavier. That is how large cars are now.

Zeeb
07-30-2008, 11:35 PM
well you take your K vs my F and lets see who wins ;)

dabuilding
07-30-2008, 11:40 PM
ok theres gas milage there light and u can make em look sick is there really anything else i need to explain

OneSlow5pt0
07-31-2008, 02:24 AM
umm....the k20 is a nice engine,but best 4cyl ever........thats to far

DeeAOne
07-31-2008, 03:03 AM

-jonathan probably one of the main reasons for me. knowledge as well. and i know where to get what i need, when i need it. :goodjob:

DeeAOne
07-31-2008, 06:19 AM
where did my post go?

EDIT: nevermind it just popped up out of nowhere. lol

josh green
07-31-2008, 07:21 AM
well you take your K vs my F and lets see who wins ;)
Well if I still had my car I probably would. Stock k20a2 making 202whp in a 2100lbs chassis would probably take a 210whp s2k. :tongue1:
I got a 13.1@106 out of her before I sold it off. But if your talking turns, yeah you probably would own.

umm....the k20 is a nice engine,but best 4cyl ever........thats to far This statement is nullified due to your lack of evidence.

ash7
07-31-2008, 09:03 AM
I love my car because I bought it and I know almost everything about it.

I don't think I'll ever sell it.

lol you've had your Si up in the FS forum for at least three months. :rolleyes:

-jonathan

puregroove
07-31-2008, 09:45 AM
STOLEN! :D

but for real though... they're just so much damn fun! http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j261/Knonimous/GIFs/shrug.gif

I knew you would notice... :tongue1:

Zeeb
07-31-2008, 10:23 AM
Well if I still had my car I probably would. Stock k20a2 making 202whp in a 2100lbs chassis would probably take a 210whp s2k. :tongue1:
I got a 13.1@106 out of her before I sold it off. But if your talking turns, yeah you probably would own.

This statement is nullified due to your lack of evidence.

hmm.... 210whp? i dont think so. plus how do you know if i have done weight reduction in my car? :tongue1:

X-Runner
07-31-2008, 10:25 AM
with incredible reliability

Yeah... right. My Civic left me walking more that any other car Ive owned. :2cents:

Zeeb
07-31-2008, 10:44 AM
did u turbo it? :lmfao:

OneSlow5pt0
07-31-2008, 12:07 PM

This statement is nullified due to your lack of evidence.

yea,cause id say the 4age and 3sgse are better engines

X-Runner
07-31-2008, 12:08 PM
did u turbo it? :lmfao:

Stock as the day it rolled off the show room floor.

Zeeb
07-31-2008, 12:11 PM
Theres always exceptions to the rules... Just like all jags break down... You'll have that rare one that lasts forever. It could have been a lemon :D

josh green
07-31-2008, 04:40 PM
yea,cause id say the 4age and 3sgse are better engines
I doubt that, the lotus guys all want to put Honda engines in their cars. I dont see any Yota powered Atoms either.

OTG Signs
07-31-2008, 05:52 PM
Yeah... right. My Civic left me walking more that any other car Ive owned. :2cents:

If you don't maintain it, any car will do that.