PDA

View Full Version : Misc Future of Radio

green91
07-26-2008, 10:47 PM
After giving this some thought and hearing some discussion recently, the future of radio is going to be pretty neat. Current formats as you know them will be gone.. AM/FM, and possibly Xm/sirius if they aren't able to conform.

With wireless broadband becoming so prevalent, (some guys with sprint are getting 1+mbps on their phones!) cars will be coming with WIFI enabled radios. There will be an unlimited amount of stations to listen to streamed from the internet over cell towers. Because of the lower overhead of running an internet station (cost of transmitters, fcc compliance etc.) there will be literally thousands more stations or even the ability to broadcast your own. Less advertising, less regulation (censoring etc), and easier access to become a DJ.

Honestly, AM/FM doesn't stand a chance. They know this. People are already tired of it, constant advertising along with overly repetitive play lists (v. the river) have already put their market shares in the ****ter. XM/Sirius's main problem with competing in the future will be the cost of the service. This is largely dependent on the cost of Wifi service in the car. Some people will still see the value in original content but companies like xm/sirius have a ton of over overhead.

Since i know someone is going to pipe in and say that the current wifi service isn't continuous for uninterrupted radio, just wait. Cellular service has increased exponentially in the last 10-15 years. Even in BFE dahlonega i get broadband speeds on my cell phone. Service will only continue to improve.

Thoughts?