Catnip
07-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Any tips to make it go smoothly?
2g manifold, 14b, fmic, etc.
swapping a big 16g on.

gracias.

stephen
07-25-2008, 12:24 PM
i have limited knowledge in the dsm world (although i own 2 3000gt vr-4's), but i'll try to help. if you don't have a datalogger, i'd suggest getting one. i wouldn't increase your boost settings without a datalogger FIRST. once you get that, then you'll need to look into upgrading the maf and injectors. if you're running the stock injectors, that turbo WILL max them out very quickly.

prAWD209
07-25-2008, 12:35 PM
the datalogger will help with knock count. i would run 550cc injectors, 2g maf, and turn up the boost hahaha

Catnip
07-25-2008, 01:33 PM
lol. thanks for the replies, but I was more or less referring to the actual swapping. I have 680 pte's, wideband, SAFC2, 2g mas, dsmchips.org stage 3 chip, cams, AFPR with gauge, etc.

Ronsam2006
07-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Watch the manifold bolts while removal...they might break. When all this is off...you might as well get an upgraded o2 housing or just port the stock one. You could run a good 18-22 psi along with that fmic which should put you right at the 330whp range with those cams(272s im assuming).

Catnip
07-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Watch the manifold bolts while removal...they might break. When all this is off...you might as well get an upgraded o2 housing or just port the stock one. You could run a good 18-22 psi along with that fmic which should put you right at the 330whp range with those cams(272s im assuming).

Thanks for the heads up!

I kinda planned on porting this one (it's a 2g 02 housing as well), what would you suggest using to do the porting work?

They're Web 256/272 cams, with a good tune and 22 psi, I'm really looking at 330awhp? :boobies:

stephen
07-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the heads up!

I kinda planned on porting this one (it's a 2g 02 housing as well), what would you suggest using to do the porting work?

They're Web 256/272 cams, with a good tune and 22 psi, I'm really looking at 330awhp? :boobies:

http://vfaq.com/index-main.html

^that should teach you how to port. i didn't know you had all of those other goodies (probably because i never met u)! like i said, my dsm knowledge is limited to those damn 3000's (i had big plans for them at one time...), but it seems like you have it all. put it all together...then take me for a ride!

Ronsam2006
07-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Yea I would say you are looking at 330awhp if not more or less depending on multiple other factors such as engine condition, etc. You should have a nice powerband as well with those cams. If you have never ported...ill tell you right now...it can be a beeyatch. Read the vfaqs and see if you are comfortable with porting. I just went ahead and bought one off ebay with the 3in outlet....the only diff between the ebay one and stock is that the outlet connecting to the downpipe is 3in instead of 2in.

So all you have to port is the outlet. But dont over port as it could crack. Best thing to do is put a gasket slightly bigger than the hole and port it until you match the gasket.

JTImport
07-25-2008, 04:29 PM
You need to get a DSM link to get the power you are wanting safely to the wheels. You can do it with the SAFC 2 but you'll have no control over your timing. Dump the stock MAF or even the 2g if you have one and go with the GM 3" MAF with the MAF translator. You can run it BT and the only thing you'll have between your turbo and the atmosphere is a nice filter! Turbo spool up will be noticeable and if you’re into that kind of thing, you can vent your BOV to atmosphere as long as it's closer to your turbo then the MAF!

I've built more 1st gen DSM's then I can count! Including my last project car that was stroked out to a 2.4 running a Garrett GT35r boosting 31psi and spraying 150 shot.

It however was never a street car.

Here's a link to some pics.
http://www.jtimportspeed.com/eclipse.htm

As far as the swap out, if you've not already get an oil feed line that will come off your oil filter housing and block off the feed from the head! The line coming from the head is one of the last places that get oil. Dirty low pressure oil = BAD! Spray the manifold bolts along with your O2 housing nuts/bolts with PB Blaster and let it soak for a few minutes before you take them off.

If you’re going to reuse the stock oil lines (i.e. feed and return) make sure you take them off and flush them out of all the old, burnt oil.

You will also want to have some coolant handy cause you’re going to need to top it off when you’re done.

After you have installed everything check and double check EVERYTHING. Then pull the plug off your coil pack to disable your ignition system. Turn the motor over a few times to prime the turbo with fresh oil. Reconnect your coil pack and start her up! Test drive it but do not boost it yet. Check for leaks and follow all the turbo manufactures suggested brake in steps then boost away!

:goodjob:

Ronsam2006
07-25-2008, 04:35 PM
You need to get a DSM link to get the power you are wanting safely to the wheels. You can do it with the SAFC 2 but you'll have no control over your timing. Dump the stock MAF or even the 2g if you have one and go with the GM 3" MAF with the MAF translator. You can run it BT and the only thing you'll have between your turbo and the atmosphere is a nice filter! Turbo spool up will be noticeable and if you’re into that kind of thing, you can vent your BOV to atmosphere as long as it's closer to your turbo then the MAF!

I've built more 1st gen DSM's then I can count! Including my last project car that was stroked out to a 2.4 running a Garrett GT35r boosting 31psi and spraying 150 shot.

It however was never a street car.

Here's a link to some pics.
http://www.jtimportspeed.com/eclipse.htm

As far as the swap out, if you've not already get an oil feed line that will come off your oil filter housing and block off the feed from the head! The line coming from the head is one of the last places that get oil. Dirty low pressure oil = BAD! Spray the manifold bolts along with your O2 housing nuts/bolts with PB Blaster and let it soak for a few minutes before you take them off.

If you’re going to reuse the stock oil lines (i.e. feed and return) make sure you take them off and flush them out of all the old, burnt oil.

You will also want to have some coolant handy cause you’re going to need to top it off when you’re done.

After you have installed everything check and double check EVERYTHING. Then pull the plug off your coil pack to disable your ignition system. Turn the motor over a few times to prime the turbo with fresh oil. Reconnect your coil pack and start her up! Test drive it but do not boost it yet. Check for leaks and follow all the turbo manufactures suggested brake in steps then boost away!

:goodjob:
Very nice write up....DSMlink is the definitely way to go money wise.

aguynamedpat
07-25-2008, 09:29 PM
Yeah, you will need DSMlink. And be careful with 22psi on a stock HG, you dont want that to pop. Stay down around 20, dont go much higher. Id say your HP will be down lower to 300 with that SAFC and 20psi. Get link where you can monitor your knock alot easier, where you can adjust your timing and fuel trims even more precisely than with the SAFC. Then you can expect to get around 330hp on 20psi, link is that leet.

I swapped turbo's on that thing more than you can count, the bolts should be good. I never had any trouble getting them in or out. The only thing that is a pain is the oil return line can be a PITA. Either double gasket the line to the pan, or use RTV, it has a tendency to leak where the line attaches to the pan.

The 2g o2 housing is nice, ported is even better. Use a die grinder, it seems to work better than a dremel (assuming you have access to air tools). Id be more than willing to help, so would 1badgvr4. Just let me know whats up, I wouldnt mind working on my old ride again. Good luck Evan.

I personally have had horrible experiences with the MAF-T, its a PITA to use. Id just stick with the 2g maf, you will not outflow the 2g maf on the 16g. My buddy was running a 3065 with a 2g maf and ran 11.5 numerous times. He was at like 80% flow too, he wasnt near maxing the maf out.

slostang
07-25-2008, 10:25 PM
you get that turbo on yet?

JTImport
07-25-2008, 10:59 PM
MAF-T hard to set up?:thinking: I've put them on at least 20 cars with 0 problems! It's one of the easiest things on a DSM to do.

The 2g MAFs are "alright" but they slow down turbo spool and are way more restrictive then the GM maf. (Karman vs. hot wire) Plus with the MAF-T you can set your injector size.

That's for sure on the head gasket. Anything over 20ish they don't last!
If you want a head gasket the Cometics are "alright" but if you want the best go with the SCE titan copper O'ringed. It will hold anything you can throw at it! Also get some ARP studs. Here is a link to a shop I get them from.
http://www.ffwdconnection.com/headgaskets.shtml

Ask for Darren! He's the man!

Catnip
07-26-2008, 12:12 AM
I appreciate ALL the support from everyone!

I got that 16g swapped in after about 1.5 hours and it seems to be awesome! I haven't gone over 5 psi (used turbo) because it's not tuned and I don't feel like possibly blowing a coupler at night. LOL.

jew_boy
07-26-2008, 12:29 AM
got any pics evan

slostang
07-26-2008, 12:39 AM
got any pics evan

I've seen the turbo.

JTImport
07-26-2008, 09:21 AM
Good deal!
Do you have a shop that you use to tune? If not Andrew at Dynoformance (dynoformance.com) in Calhoun is one of if not the best tuner around. He tunes all my shop cars and all the cars I build. They have a dynodynamics lowboy AWD dyno. Just don't go there looking for numbers! His dyno is a heart breaker!

aguynamedpat
07-26-2008, 04:10 PM
Or if you dont mind a bit of a drive, bring it up to topspeed. Its well worth the drive, they are some of the more knowledgable tuners around when it comes to DSM's/Evo's/Scoobies.

Catnip
07-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Once I sell my camaro, I will probably do a few things to it including a tune. Until then, I will have no money for this car! I do have a friend that can set it up enough so that it's never lean and not too rich, but it won't be at it's full potential.