PDA

View Full Version : Boost leak update

Drummerboy
07-25-2008, 02:49 AM
Anyone that was at the Summit meet this past monday may have heard about my little get together with a woman in a white accord.

If not, long story short, she ran me off the road and into a curb.

no HORRIBLE damage done, just need an alignment and some new front tires.

But because i was paranoid, i did a compression test today and hooked up the air compressor to check for boost leaks.

Compression was fine, i believe 180psi in each.

then came the boost check:no:

7 leaks later......

its amazing i was making boost at all!

-1 on either side of the intercooler, the T bolt clamps were too big.
-4 in the vaccum lines from the manual boost controller
-1 where the BOV meets the cold pipe, the Oring was shot, so i used some right stuff compound.

then, on top of that, turns out i tuned it with all those boost leaks, so when it was sealed, i was running LLLEEEAAANNN as all get out.

so i had to retune the MF2.

6 hours of tinkering later, the Lude feels like a beast again. :D :D :D

Drummerboy
07-25-2008, 03:01 AM
oh, btw...

I know the Boost leaks had nothing to do with the wreck, but i just thought i'd check while i was checking everything else. Just to clear that up.

slostang
07-25-2008, 03:03 AM
good job Jordan. I guess all the boost leakage is why it was running rich.

Drummerboy
07-25-2008, 03:07 AM
Now i can die happy, I got a "good job" from my biggest critic, haha.

slostang
07-25-2008, 03:10 AM
lulz.

AnthonyF
07-25-2008, 07:57 AM
But because i was paranoid, i did a compression test today and hooked up the air compressor to check for boost leaks.
You mean just EVAP leaks?

Compression was fine, i believe 180psi in each.
So you did an EVAP test or a compression test? :thinking:

then came the boost check:no:
You cant do a "boost" check b/c you are wont be in boost. You mean an EVAP/vacuum leak check?

its amazing i was making boost at all!
B/c of you vacuum leaks.

6 hours of tinkering later, the Lude feels like a beast again. :D :D :D
So..this is a General Tech area....you didnt ask any questions. If this was a slight rant then it belong in the WL.

I'm not bashing by any means, just get your terminology correct.

-Ant.

Drummerboy
07-25-2008, 12:13 PM
You mean just EVAP leaks?

Possibly, a friend of mine had a homemade adapter that hooks up where the air filter would normally go. it had some sort of adapter on the end that an air hose connects to.
Then he held the throttle down (car wasnt running) and we pressurized the whole system and found all the leaks. is that considered an EVAP test?

So you did an EVAP test or a compression test? :thinking:
well i know i did a compression test. and then the process that i just mentioned ^^

So..this is a General Tech area....you didnt ask any questions. If this was a slight rant then it belong in the WL.

I'm not bashing by any means, just get your terminology correct.

Sorry about posting in the wrong section, i thought that "dont know where to post?" meant post here if you dont know where to post.

haha, dont take that as sarcasm:D

AnthonyF
07-25-2008, 12:19 PM
^lol. Touche on the last part....jackass. :goodjob:

Yes, it is still called an EVAP, or Leak Down check and few other terms. A smoke kit does wonders with evap leak, oil leaks, any leak!

-Ant.

Drummerboy
07-25-2008, 01:16 PM
no smoke machine though, no money either, lol.