PDA

View Full Version : Whether you like or hate the Obama hype...

ShooterMcGavin
07-24-2008, 03:10 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/23/beck.obama.media/index.html

Commentary: Coverage of Obama trip almost embarrassing

By Glenn Beck
CNN

Editor's note: Glenn Beck is on CNN Headline News nightly at 7 and 9 ET and also hosts a conservative national radio talk show.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- "Sometimes it's hard to tell if Barack Obama is running for president of the United States or Mr. Universe."

If you're guessing that's a quote from Michelle Obama, you're wrong. It was the first sentence of a recent article about Obama's frequent gym visits, published by the esteemed Associated Press.

So many Americans have apparently been worried that Obama might lose his great six-pack abs, the AP felt obligated to step in and put our minds at ease.

"The Democratic presidential contender exercises regularly," the Pulitzer-worthy article continued, "but over a 24-hour span this week, he took it to a new extreme. Twice on Wednesday and again Thursday morning, Obama traveled to a lakefront apartment building near his Chicago home to work out with a friend at his gym."

Whew.

But as a media outlet that claims to offer news "of the highest quality, reliability and objectivity with reports that are accurate, balanced and informed," the AP knew that it couldn't stop there. Its hard-hitting investigation revealed the answer to another question that's kept so many people up at night: "What does Barack Obama wear when he goes to the gym?" The jaw-dropping answer? "A baseball hat, white T-shirt and black sweat pants."

Wow. Sleep well.

But the AP realized that to have its reporting taken seriously, it would need to go even deeper and reveal exactly how much Obama perspires. Fortunately, it has world-class resources at its disposal: "When he shot hoops earlier this year with members of the University of North Carolina varsity men's basketball team, (the photographers accompanying him) didn't see Obama sweat."

My gosh, it's like he's not human! I'm surprised they didn't report how much he bench pressed, the incline level he used on the treadmill or what songs were on his iPod. Then again, I probably just didn't look hard enough.

To reiterate, this wasn't a hometown newspaper, local television affiliates or a left-wing blogger reporting this "news" about Obama's exercise routine. It was a mainstream, international, "unbiased" news organization.

Of course, anecdotal evidence that Obama probably polls somewhere around 95 percent with members of the media has been around for years, but now there are some actual statistics to back it up.

According to the Tyndall Report, a service that monitors the three network news broadcasts, ABC, NBC, and CBS have spent a total of 114 of their national airtime minutes covering Obama since June. They've spent 48 minutes on his Republican rival, Sen. John McCain.

And then you have the almost embarrassing way the media have gushed over Obama's trip to the Middle East. There were 200 requests for the 40 press seats available on Obama's plane, and all three top network anchors (Katie Couric, Charles Gibson and Brian Williams) made the trip and are broadcasting live from each country Obama visits.

You can't buy that kind of publicity. And neither could McCain.

McCain made a trip to the Middle East in March and didn't have to worry about finding seats for any network anchors, because none of them wanted to go. And while Obama was flying from country to country this week in a plane packed with celebrity reporters, McCain flew to an event in New Hampshire. After his Boeing 737 landed in Manchester, he stepped out onto the tarmac and glanced at the one reporter who'd bothered to show up. Yes, one.

And then you have the print media's fascination with Obama. He's been on the cover of U.S. News and World Report, GQ, Rolling Stone, US Weekly (twice), Time and Newsweek (a combined 12 times) and will soon be on the cover of Men's Vogue for the second time. To be fair, Men's Vogue also did an in-depth story on John McCain but, strangely, a photo of McCain didn't make their cover.

Why the disparity? According to Men's Vogue deputy editor Ned Martel, there's a simple explanation: Obama "is what is called in the magazine world an 'interest driver.' " Translation: Obama sells magazines.

As a conservative, I can't argue with that logic. "The Media" aren't around for their health, they're around to make money, and if Obama drives sales or ratings, then I can't really blame them for continuing to tap that well until it runs dry. I could make an argument that McCain's campaign has plenty of interesting angles that would sell and rate -- but, quite honestly, until this media infatuation phase is over, they're not even worth bringing up.

I do, however, find it funny that many of the same people who are clearly not fans of big business or truly free markets have embraced this "run what rates" philosophy. I guess capitalism is evil until it's you whose paycheck is at stake.

But all of this points to a larger point: We've become a country that continually chooses the sizzle over the steak. McCain may not get my vote, but he gets my admiration for at least offering some substance and new ideas when he speaks. Obama, meanwhile, is like the rock star who's realized that he can just scream unintelligible words into the microphone between songs, and the entire stadium will still scream. When your fans already love you, there's no reason to risk it by offering anything that might be controversial. Remember the Dixie Chicks?

As candidates, Barack Obama and John McCain are ironically a lot like the way the media treats them: Obama is the glitzy magazine cover that screams for people to buy the issue, and McCain is the fact-filled article buried inside that makes you glad you did.

Lucky DAWG
07-24-2008, 04:25 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/23/beck.obama.media/index.html

Commentary: Coverage of Obama trip almost embarrassing

By Glenn Beck
CNN

Editor's note: Glenn Beck is on CNN Headline News nightly at 7 and 9 ET and also hosts a conservative national radio talk show.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- "Sometimes it's hard to tell if Barack Obama is running for president of the United States or Mr. Universe."

If you're guessing that's a quote from Michelle Obama, you're wrong. It was the first sentence of a recent article about Obama's frequent gym visits, published by the esteemed Associated Press.

So many Americans have apparently been worried that Obama might lose his great six-pack abs, the AP felt obligated to step in and put our minds at ease.

"The Democratic presidential contender exercises regularly," the Pulitzer-worthy article continued, "but over a 24-hour span this week, he took it to a new extreme. Twice on Wednesday and again Thursday morning, Obama traveled to a lakefront apartment building near his Chicago home to work out with a friend at his gym."

Whew.

But as a media outlet that claims to offer news "of the highest quality, reliability and objectivity with reports that are accurate, balanced and informed," the AP knew that it couldn't stop there. Its hard-hitting investigation revealed the answer to another question that's kept so many people up at night: "What does Barack Obama wear when he goes to the gym?" The jaw-dropping answer? "A baseball hat, white T-shirt and black sweat pants."

Wow. Sleep well.

But the AP realized that to have its reporting taken seriously, it would need to go even deeper and reveal exactly how much Obama perspires. Fortunately, it has world-class resources at its disposal: "When he shot hoops earlier this year with members of the University of North Carolina varsity men's basketball team, (the photographers accompanying him) didn't see Obama sweat."

My gosh, it's like he's not human! I'm surprised they didn't report how much he bench pressed, the incline level he used on the treadmill or what songs were on his iPod. Then again, I probably just didn't look hard enough.

To reiterate, this wasn't a hometown newspaper, local television affiliates or a left-wing blogger reporting this "news" about Obama's exercise routine. It was a mainstream, international, "unbiased" news organization.

Of course, anecdotal evidence that Obama probably polls somewhere around 95 percent with members of the media has been around for years, but now there are some actual statistics to back it up.

According to the Tyndall Report, a service that monitors the three network news broadcasts, ABC, NBC, and CBS have spent a total of 114 of their national airtime minutes covering Obama since June. They've spent 48 minutes on his Republican rival, Sen. John McCain.

And then you have the almost embarrassing way the media have gushed over Obama's trip to the Middle East. There were 200 requests for the 40 press seats available on Obama's plane, and all three top network anchors (Katie Couric, Charles Gibson and Brian Williams) made the trip and are broadcasting live from each country Obama visits.

You can't buy that kind of publicity. And neither could McCain.

McCain made a trip to the Middle East in March and didn't have to worry about finding seats for any network anchors, because none of them wanted to go. And while Obama was flying from country to country this week in a plane packed with celebrity reporters, McCain flew to an event in New Hampshire. After his Boeing 737 landed in Manchester, he stepped out onto the tarmac and glanced at the one reporter who'd bothered to show up. Yes, one.

And then you have the print media's fascination with Obama. He's been on the cover of U.S. News and World Report, GQ, Rolling Stone, US Weekly (twice), Time and Newsweek (a combined 12 times) and will soon be on the cover of Men's Vogue for the second time. To be fair, Men's Vogue also did an in-depth story on John McCain but, strangely, a photo of McCain didn't make their cover.

Why the disparity? According to Men's Vogue deputy editor Ned Martel, there's a simple explanation: Obama "is what is called in the magazine world an 'interest driver.' " Translation: Obama sells magazines.

As a conservative, I can't argue with that logic. "The Media" aren't around for their health, they're around to make money, and if Obama drives sales or ratings, then I can't really blame them for continuing to tap that well until it runs dry. I could make an argument that McCain's campaign has plenty of interesting angles that would sell and rate -- but, quite honestly, until this media infatuation phase is over, they're not even worth bringing up.

I do, however, find it funny that many of the same people who are clearly not fans of big business or truly free markets have embraced this "run what rates" philosophy. I guess capitalism is evil until it's you whose paycheck is at stake.

But all of this points to a larger point: We've become a country that continually chooses the sizzle over the steak. McCain may not get my vote, but he gets my admiration for at least offering some substance and new ideas when he speaks. Obama, meanwhile, is like the rock star who's realized that he can just scream unintelligible words into the microphone between songs, and the entire stadium will still scream. When your fans already love you, there's no reason to risk it by offering anything that might be controversial. Remember the Dixie Chicks?

As candidates, Barack Obama and John McCain are ironically a lot like the way the media treats them: Obama is the glitzy magazine cover that screams for people to buy the issue, and McCain is the fact-filled article buried inside that makes you glad you did.

couldn't agree more with those last 2 paragraphs.

I can't believe as a people we still want the fireworks instead of reality.

BB6dohcvtec
07-24-2008, 09:15 PM
thats america we always want the fireworks more than the reality of the life. Its the same as the last 10 elections and it will be the same now and more than likely in the future.

tony
07-24-2008, 09:24 PM
I'm sure conservatives would LOVE to have a candidate that is as inspiring as Obama, sorry the 71 year old just doesn't do it.

Why not be happy that so many people are engaged and/or starstruck by someone that MATTERS rather than say.. Britney Spears? Just a question..

quickdodgeŽ
07-24-2008, 09:35 PM
Here's what I tell the idiot white folks that don't want Obama in office because of color:

"I hope he gets elected into office if, for no other reason, than to piss off all you Klan members and rednecks."

It's the truth. If nothing else, I would love to see the looks on stupid white folks faces when/if it comes to be. Later, QD.

Lucky DAWG
07-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Here's what I tell the idiot white folks that don't want Obama in office because of color:

"I hope he gets elected into office if, for no other reason, than to piss off all you Klan members and rednecks."

It's the truth. If nothing else, I would love to see the looks on stupid white folks faces when/if it comes to be. Later, QD.

His negative outlook at a young age against white people makes me nervous, i won't lie to you about that. He says it himself in his book, but he may have changed, i have no clue.

His platform as he said to the NCAAP was that "african americans should ask more of themselves instead of blaming others" which i think was a just thing to say. But i don't know if thats being a politician or truthful

tony
07-24-2008, 10:13 PM
His negative outlook at a young age against white people makes me nervous, i won't lie to you about that. He says it himself in his book, but he may have changed, i have no clue.

His platform as he said to the NCAAP was that "african americans should ask more of themselves instead of blaming others" which i think was a just thing to say. But i don't know if thats being a politician or truthful

All of us go through a 'we hate white people' phase, it's nothing to be worried about.

Vteckidd
07-24-2008, 10:34 PM
I'm sure conservatives would LOVE to have a candidate that is as inspiring as Obama, sorry the 71 year old just doesn't do it.

Why not be happy that so many people are engaged and/or starstruck by someone that MATTERS rather than say.. Britney Spears? Just a question..
you know i watched his speech in Germany today. WOW is all i can say.

Obama is a GREAT speaker, a great orator, a great HOOHAH kinda guy.

Unfortunetly i still think hes all talk, all hype, no substance. I dont hear anything but change this, lets do that. But no earthly idea on how to do it.

I mean i could sit here an tell you Tony that i want to end the housing crisis, and fix wallstreet, but , i dont have the first clue on how to do it. Obama has flipped (so has mcain) on so many issues, and he just has NOTHING of substance.

Obama says exactly what I WANT TO HEAR. He even motivates me, but i know deep down, he cant do 80% of what he says he can do.

Ill say that Mcain does have alot more substance, but you are right, he cant hold a candle to Obama in terms of charisma.

I cant see how the Republicans could have pushed a 71 year old white male who doesnt energize anyone and is so blah as its presidential candidate. Didnt we learn anything from BOB DOLE?

Everyday i lean more an more towards Obama winning this whole thing. WIth the Media attention, and he keeps saying what people want to hear, i just dont have faith in our voters to see through him.

But then again, if he does win, he wont be able to do much.

Lucky DAWG
07-24-2008, 11:28 PM
All of us go through a 'we hate white people' phase, it's nothing to be worried about.

lmao +1 if i can, pretty sure i hit you already recently

stephen
07-25-2008, 12:34 AM
All I can say...this media coverage reminds me of that Boondocks episode...where grandpa met the town's mayor, and went to his "party." LoL, Huey (Obama) was talking to all of the white people about his "black power movement," and they would just start gathering around him, clapping and cheering. The white folks then would tell each other "WOW! He speaks so well!"

http://www.livevideo.com/video/Blackie27/56415066D8FF4E0EAB708C5CBD339383/the-boondocks-episode-1-whit.aspx

Lucky DAWG
07-25-2008, 12:58 AM
you know i watched his speech in Germany today. WOW is all i can say.

Obama is a GREAT speaker, a great orator, a great HOOHAH kinda guy.

Unfortunetly i still think hes all talk, all hype, no substance. I dont hear anything but change this, lets do that. But no earthly idea on how to do it.

I mean i could sit here an tell you Tony that i want to end the housing crisis, and fix wallstreet, but , i dont have the first clue on how to do it. Obama has flipped (so has mcain) on so many issues, and he just has NOTHING of substance.

Obama says exactly what I WANT TO HEAR. He even motivates me, but i know deep down, he cant do 80% of what he says he can do.

Ill say that Mcain does have alot more substance, but you are right, he cant hold a candle to Obama in terms of charisma.

I cant see how the Republicans could have pushed a 71 year old white male who doesnt energize anyone and is so blah as its presidential candidate. Didnt we learn anything from BOB DOLE?

Everyday i lean more an more towards Obama winning this whole thing. WIth the Media attention, and he keeps saying what people want to hear, i just dont have faith in our voters to see through him.

But then again, if he does win, he wont be able to do much.

agreed

ShooterMcGavin
07-25-2008, 09:36 AM
i'd rather not see that look if it means having another incompetent @sshat in office for 4 or more yrs...

BanginJimmy
07-25-2008, 10:56 AM
If we are to believe gallup and Fox news McCain has either overtaken Obama in many key states, or has drawn to within the margin of error in once heavily Obama states. I still have faith that the Democrat John McCain will beat the nut out in left field, but its going to be close.

Republicans made a horrible choice with McCain, but I kind of think that he was being thrown out as a sacrifical lamb. No one thought a republican had even a slight chance of winning this election until the dems managed to find one of the worst canidates in the country.

ironchef
07-25-2008, 11:21 AM

Why not be happy that so many people are engaged and/or starstruck by someone that MATTERS rather than say.. Britney Spears? Just a question..They should be engaged or starstruck for the right reasons, not cause of what he wears to the gym.

Vteckidd
07-25-2008, 11:25 AM
They should be engaged or starstruck for the right reasons, not cause of what he wears to the gym.
REPS

DevilK9
07-25-2008, 11:26 AM
thats america we always want the fireworks more than the reality of the life. Its the same as the last 10 elections and it will be the same now and more than likely in the future.

10 Elections? I think you forgot about the Bush Sr. v. Dukakis and Bush Jr. v. Gore.

You can't tell me either of the Bushes (who won) were more fireworky than their opponents.

Now as far as Kerry....Bush didn't even have to try....a molding pile of sh/t is more animated than Kerry.