PDA

View Full Version : What it costs me each year to get to work (this hurts)

DevilK9
07-24-2008, 07:47 AM
What it costs me each year to get to work.

I got a little curious on my way to work today so I’ve crunched a few numbers and the results are pretty astonishing. Here’s the breakdown:

Total hours spent commuting per year: 405

Total distance covered commuting per year: 14,580

Total cost of fuel commuting per year: $2,953

Total cost of time lost: $6,562

Plus….

Vehicle wear and tear

Vehicle maintenance

Vehicle insurance

Bumper to bumper mileage reductions

Stress

OUCH!

EJ25RUN
07-24-2008, 07:50 AM
whats the vehicle?

4dmin
07-24-2008, 07:54 AM
ouch! i would get a scooter

DevilK9
07-24-2008, 07:56 AM
whats the vehicle?

I'm ashamed to say on this site. Let's just say it's an old faithful, 13 year old...family sedan.

Now, my 20 year old European (almost fixed) or my 30 year old rustbucket truck...I don't even want to know.

Yah Yah...go buy a new car dumbass....well....before that conversation gets started. I can't.

DevilK9
07-24-2008, 07:58 AM

Most definitely. That's actually one of the concerns I have with my current job hunt. I'd love to live nearby so I could either walk or commute on two wheels.

EJ25RUN
07-24-2008, 08:01 AM

you know i just got back from Europe and after being there for a month i gotta tell you, that is a very goodoption and i feel like this whole american view on Scooters being lame is ridiculous. I think scooters are more fun to ride than almost any car and the gas mileage is incredible. You still have to face the troubles a motorcycle rider will face like people just ignoring you are there, but overall, if you avoid the freeway, you should befine.

SCOOTERS FTW!

DevilK9
07-24-2008, 08:21 AM
Plus, unlike Europe,our transportation system is based more upon highways than surface streets.

Imagine my ass on a scooter down 85. Maybe and italjet or something.

EJ25RUN
07-24-2008, 08:23 AM
Plus, unlike Europe,our transportation system is based more upon highways than surface streets.

Imagine my ass on a scooter down 85. Maybe and italjet or something.

my whole time there the widest highway was 3 lanes and looked like pleasent hill. Getting of the plane on onto 85 where we have like 8 lanes was a drastic change.

Sport1.3
07-24-2008, 08:27 AM
i would love a scooter.....but i would never make it up 400 lulz

Kevykev
07-24-2008, 08:32 AM
Scooters lol, we all are feeling some of that pain.

I'm ashamed to say on this site. .

Never be ashamed, I've been driving a 96 altima as my "primary" vehicle for the past 9 years. I've closed and opened business deals with this vehicle. Sure i can afford a new car but hey, doesn't mean I have to buy one :D . However I will admit, i've been a little ashamed of it at times but it's always taken care of it's primary purpose :)

p.s i Just bought something nice and newer like couple weeks ago (took me that long). :D

kelly marie
07-24-2008, 09:45 AM
scooters are awesome! drew drives one to work and going from 13MPG with his dodge hemi to 80+MPG with his scooter makes it all worth it!

they are mostly for back roads though.. however drew said he saw one on 575 lol.. that would be scary!

EJ25RUN
07-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Scooters lol, we all are feeling some of that pain.

explain

Ed
07-24-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm ashamed to say on this site. Let's just say it's an old faithful, 13 year old...family sedan.

Now, my 20 year old European (almost fixed) or my 30 year old rustbucket truck...I don't even want to know.

Yah Yah...go buy a new car dumbass....well....before that conversation gets started. I can't.

theres nothing wrong with having an old car. if YOU like it, thats all that matters. hell, there are some older cars that are btter than the new ones anyway.

don't keep us in the dark, is it a bimmer? veedubbya?

Ran
07-24-2008, 10:09 AM
I ran my numbers real quick and was able to come up with everything except for the "Cost of Time Lost" part. I'm not far behind you bro. $2900 a year in gas? :no:

DevilK9
07-24-2008, 10:21 AM
theres nothing wrong with having an old car. if YOU like it, thats all that matters. hell, there are some older cars that are btter than the new ones anyway.

don't keep us in the dark, is it a bimmer? veedubbya?

95 Honda Accord. Smashed in Drivers door, faded paint, second engine, transmission swap next month.

She (Louise) has been faithful, but far from what I REALLY want to be cruisin' the highways and byways with.

Other two vehicles:

1987 Jaguar XJ6 (Caroline)- still hasn't reached 100K miles
1978 Ford F100 (Rusty) - enough said!!

DevilK9
07-24-2008, 10:23 AM
I ran my numbers real quick and was able to come up with everything except for the "Cost of Time Lost" part. I'm not far behind you bro. $2900 a year in gas? :no:

Cost of time. Take your salary down to actual hours (Year to month to week to day to hour) and times that by how many hours you are in the car.

I did not include any of my freelance work into the equation, that would have upped the rate a lot (as I charge a lot more freelance than I get per actual hour on my salary).

Hope that helps.

Ed
07-24-2008, 10:28 AM
95 Honda Accord. Smashed in Drivers door, faded paint, second engine, transmission swap next month.

She (Louise) has been faithful, but far from what I REALLY want to be cruisin' the highways and byways with.

Other two vehicles:

1987 Jaguar XJ6 (Caroline)- still hasn't reached 100K miles
1978 Ford F100 (Rusty) - enough said!!

lol thats better than me. i had a geo metro for a daily driver a couple of years ago, then it broke on me so i donated it. haha

but the other two are nice! good luck on your projects

Kevykev
07-24-2008, 11:30 AM
explain

LOL was more so aimed at the their street presence. :lmfao:

Nothing funny about using scooters during these hard times.

LOL @ you requesting an xplaination :D i feel ya on that one though.