PDA

View Full Version : who else is finding this slightly offensive or just plain old?

0p7!mu5
07-23-2008, 11:49 PM
Has anybody jumped onto cnn on at least it's website recently and noticed this black in America special they have going on? I think this is getting really stupid now. I'm thinking that cnn only did this because Barack Obama is a major news topic.

Im getting a lil tired of the media putting all this woe is me racial television specials on tv. Do I believe racism is a problem? Yes I wont even lie there i know it is still around. Im just rather annoyed that T.V shows and Movies exploit this fact to no end like we are still in the 60's. I think 90% of the racial issues black people face in general could be chalked up to accountability. But no magically its the governments fault and no fault of their own. Not that there arent some viable cases where racism comes into play but not nearly as bad as the media gives the impression of IMO.

And before any of you go all you're a racist I am black btw and still find this kind of going overboard. If we did a white in a amreica special it would be racist. asian or spanish in america wouldn't get half the damn attention.

Just my :2cents: discuss.

slostang
07-24-2008, 12:04 AM
if it was "white in America" it would be one boring ass show.

Bballjamal
07-24-2008, 12:45 AM
helll naww! White in America would be hilarious as fU*k to me after a quick smoke. Helll, it'd be funny sober!

Black in America is weak. We're stronger than some baby ass show about white boy acting black guys to cry about how they're treated. Preppy black dudes get no love in the hood lmao

tdurr
07-24-2008, 12:49 AM

X2

But i dont wanna get all deep right now, but its more too it then that. less then 13% of the us is black, and i think its 1 out of ever 3 black males gets put in jail. Thats just the start... it really comes down to the living coditions and school systems of the child.
Being black sucks.
and thats all im gonna say on this topic for now
T-durr

0p7!mu5
07-24-2008, 12:52 AM

yeah i guess. Im just more annoyed by the point of it all. While I do acknowledge that racism is a problem, Im just getting tired of the fact that people are treating it like is 1963 all over again... I just personally think its over done seeing how most of the time people who complain are doing very little to get out of their situation.

slostang
07-24-2008, 12:56 AM
well the way I see things, america is about to have its first African American president (even if you don't want it, its gonna happen) so now is gonna be a peak time for racial tensions in our country as a whole.

tdurr
07-24-2008, 01:02 AM
Meh, altho i said i wasnt gonna say anything else, I'm just gonna have to point it out, that a large % of the people who complain cant do anything about it, thats why they complain.
Example: the legal system. 1/3 of black men are in jail, 1/10 of white men are in jail. Just sayn the facts bro.
P.s. Race ALWAYS comes up in the U.S., no matter wut the topic is, as sad as it is people will always let race be a deciding factor in what they do/say.
T-durr

Catnip
07-24-2008, 01:05 AM
black stuff's annoying.

civic95
07-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Yes it does get annoying. It's JULY already! February is long gone. Just gets the AA community all fired up again, and they start ranting about how bad they have it.

They don't know what suffering is. They want thier own language, tv channel, award shows, scholarships, colleges, but they want to be equal. WTF? :thinking:

Total_Blender
07-24-2008, 07:54 AM
They don't know what suffering is. They want thier own language, tv channel, award shows, scholarships, colleges, but they want to be equal. WTF? :thinking:

In case you haven't noticed, nearly all television is "White in America". White people don't need special shows to celebrate being White because its just a given. Do you honestly think that they watch much "Desperate Housewives" or "Hannah Montana" in the ghetto? :ninja:

As for Black scholarships and colleges... again, most established state universities have White majorities. Black and white culture are just so different that many Blacks want a college experience more suited to their style and their culture. :goodjob:

MistaCee
07-24-2008, 07:55 AM
helll naww! White in America would be hilarious as fU*k to me after a quick smoke. Helll, it'd be funny sober!

Black in America is weak. We're stronger than some baby ass show about white boy acting black guys to cry about how they're treated. Preppy black dudes get no love in the hood lmao

God I hope your not black.

I found the show interesting and it shows problems that the African American community needs to work through. I like how they showed that racism is not only outside the race but within it as well. :2cents:

EJ25RUN
07-24-2008, 07:58 AM
just watch BET, they're "Black in America", and all of them come off as highly educated members of society.

BanginJimmy
07-24-2008, 08:00 AM
But i dont wanna get all deep right now, but its more too it then that. less then 13% of the us is black, and i think its 1 out of ever 3 black males gets put in jail.

Maybe thats because 1 in 3 black men commit crimes and get caught.

Thats just the start... it really comes down to the living coditions and school systems of the child.

This is an excuse. Poor schools are not the reason blacks are 5x more likely to drop out of school. Entitlement programs are also a main reason that most that start their life poor stay that way. Why work when you can get paid by the govt for doing nothing?

Being black sucks.

So does being a white male. We arent allowed to have a non PC opinion without being called racist or other such words to fit the situation.

EJ25RUN
07-24-2008, 08:04 AM
Meh, altho i said i wasnt gonna say anything else, I'm just gonna have to point it out, that a large % of the people who complain cant do anything about it, thats why they complain.
Example: the legal system. 1/3 of black men are in jail, 1/10 of white men are in jail. Just sayn the facts bro.
P.s. Race ALWAYS comes up in the U.S., no matter wut the topic is, as sad as it is people will always let race be a deciding factor in what they do/say.
T-durr

Wow i cant believe i missed this. The idiot media really has you going doesn't it?

Exactly.......Tdurr- are you saying to be fair we should limit the arrest of black people commiting crimes just to even out the numbers?

Are you really on that level?

mocha latte cupcake
07-24-2008, 08:05 AM
didn't watch it, didn't care to... just another program on tv... as far as equality. it comes down to stop bringing up the issue, if someone mistreats you its not b/c your black it may be because they were having a bad day or simply the fact your an as$hole to people. people always get bent and blame it on race... i'm not racise and far from it, but i can't stand to see people pull the race card. we're (as americans) are quick to get over the fact that all men are equal but as soon as a black person OR a white person is wronged by the opposite race its b/c they are black or white... not because of any other circumstances. being that i deal with people all day long, i can say that some people just have chips on their shoulder... AND seeing As this is a topic now i almost wished i HAD watched it, because its interesting to me. if they are explaining whats going on in the black community and how they can better themselves then awesome, that is great, but if it was a bi7ch fest then what a waste of TV and further bringing the stereotype to the front. i don't treat either race better than the other... if people would get over being white/black/asian/mexican whatever people wouldn't have such problems. but seriously... i can't stand people who wanna act "hard, thug, hood, ghetto, whatever... and then expect to be treated with the utmost respect i'm sorry you won't get it here, i'm pleasant and nice. but act like a gangsta you can be expected to be treated like one. act like a convict and a killa and expect to be treated like one."

Ran
07-24-2008, 08:11 AM
just watch BET, they're "Black in America", and all of them come off as highly educated members of society.lol wut

EJ25RUN
07-24-2008, 08:12 AM
lol wut

you likes my sarcasims :yes:

MistaCee
07-24-2008, 08:15 AM
Exactly.......Tdurr- are you saying to be fair we should limit the arrest of black people commiting crimes just to even out the numbers?

Are you really on that level?

No Tdurr is way off. But the justice system can start by giving equal punishment for the same crime instead of giving blacks more time for the same crime.

DevilK9
07-24-2008, 08:18 AM
I completely agree with you OP7!mu5. I'm not racist in any way, I am all for equality. Anybody who knows me knows I haven't a biggoted bone in my body. However...

(in my humble opinion)

Making up for a deficit in "opportunity" does not entail putting the downtrodden on a pedestal. There is nothing special about being black, white, red or tan. To continually focus on the problems does nothing to help.

Here's the conversation now.

US Media: Gee black people, you're really f*cked!
Black Culture: Yah, but we're working on progressing.
US Media: Gee black people, you've had it tough, you're really f*cked!
Black Culture: Yah, but we are trying to break the stereotypes of the past.
US Media: Gee black people, you're really f*cked. Here, have a month to yourself.
Black Culture: Thanks, we appreciate the publicity boost, but what is that really going to do? What we want is acceptance, not exposure.
US Media: Gee black people, you're still really f*cked. We feel bad, we're going to extend that month into January and give you a Postal Stamp.
Black Culture: Still . . . not helping.
US Media: Gee black people, you're really f*ucked. We wanna help, we're going to profile prominent black people and show how they were able to succeed by assimilating into white culture while remaining closet "black folk" on Sunday.
Black Culture: Great, we admire some of those folks too, but still...not helping.
US Media: Gee golly, black people, you're really f*cked. Why don't we study how f*cked you really are and make sure we tell everyone about it. We'll call awareness to how f*cked you are.
Black Culture: Uhhh...I don't think you're getting it.
US Media: Gee wizz, black people, you're really f*cked.

And we aren't getting it. We are trying to provide opportunity for those that have not worked for it or made the responsible decisions that open up opportunities for themselves. The most successful minority leaders were not given their success or respect, they earned it. In fact, distributing charitable advancement and opportunity only damages other groups. For instance, I'm a white lower middle class male, so in the eyes of the government and media - I'm set! I don't need any help with college, starting a small business, or even equal access to government contracts. I don't get a special on TV, because my accomplishments are expected.

The truest form of racism is continual media profiling. Not letting the conversation die only continues the development of the disease. Quit watering the weeds!

The facts are this: The world is not fair. We are equal but will not all lead equal lives.

I'm done.

AirMax95
07-24-2008, 08:19 AM
Yes it does get annoying. It's JULY already! February is long gone. Just gets the AA community all fired up again, and they start ranting about how bad they have it.

They don't know what suffering is. They want thier own language, tv channel, award shows, scholarships, colleges, but they want to be equal. WTF?

The black history month thing....STFU, not even going to go there.

To sum up your thoughts about US wanting our own "everything", its because others don't/didn't want to share! We couldn't go to the college of our choice, join the organizations of our choice, get the scholarships, awards, or get on the damn TV. Open your mind young sir :D

Its kinda hard to push eveything aside and be equal when there are poeple who don't want equality. It is a slow process due to the lack of open minded people in this country.

MistaCee hit it on the head. It is being televised to spread more awareness, and gain attention my more of the black community. As a whole, we need to do better......

Ran
07-24-2008, 08:22 AM
So much win in DevilK9's post.

AirMax95
07-24-2008, 08:26 AM
just watch BET, they're "Black in America", and all of them come off as highly educated members of society.

They are highly educated, here are my 2 inspirations to do better:goodjob:

Michael Eric Dyson - Carson-Newman College, BA (magna cum laude), 1982; Princeton University, MA, 1991, PhD, 1993

Cornel Ronald West - Harvard College, A.B. 1973; Princeton University, M.A., 1975, Ph.D., 1980

DevilK9
07-24-2008, 08:28 AM
So much win in DevilK9's post.

Wow, that's the first time you've ever agreed with me!

Cool.

EJ25RUN
07-24-2008, 08:30 AM

Michael Eric Dyson - Carson-Newman College, BA (magna cum laude), 1982; Princeton University, MA, 1991, PhD, 1993

Cornel Ronald West - Harvard College, A.B. 1973; Princeton University, M.A., 1975, Ph.D., 1980

There are others. But allot of them are no longer with BET because they dont agree with how the station is run and how it shows black society.

AirMax95
07-24-2008, 08:39 AM
There are others. But allot of them are no longer with BET because they dont agree with how the station is run and how it shows black society.

I know there are more. The 2 above are awesome scholars and do alot for this country. They speak out against the sensless portrayl of african americans on BET and other media outlets.

I attend the "Hip Hop" summit when it comes to Atlanta. Its is a great opportunity to see the positive doing more positive.

Again, as I said in another post, our savior lies in the chlidren of this country. Sadly, many have parents who don't know WTF they are doing :no:

Dr.G35
07-24-2008, 08:46 AM
Im just more annoyed by the point of it all. While I do acknowledge that racism is a problem, Im just getting tired of the fact that people are treating it like is 1963 all over again...

werd, i think for the country to move on passed this racist issue (which i think will never happen) they have to stop blowing it out of proportion. i mean dont get me wrong, i think the slavery era was this countries darkest time in history, BUT in order to move on you must either forget or forgive (which will also never happen) i hope i will be proved wrong in the future for the content in both parenthesies (sp?)

BobbyFresco
07-24-2008, 08:48 AM
This thread is but a small example of why race will almost always be a factor in America and why things may never change for the better....

- There is ignorance on both ends of the table.
While it's very true that there are black people that would rather live off of government assistance rather than do for themselves, the same can be said about white people as well. I think it's a stretch to insinuate that black people as a whole care nothing about being self sufficient.

- I think it's ridiculous that white men view themselves as victims because of issues like affirmative action.Some of you preach about how equality will not be attained until people stop expecting special priviledges, so you complain about blacks and their so called "victim complex" but yet you're doing the same thing by blaiming a group of people for whatever opportunities or god given rights you feel you are entitled to but not receiving. Practice what you preach. Is it so far fetched that a person of another ethnicity or race could possibly be more qualified at whatever the issue at hand be?

-God forbid that CNN show a different side of how the average black American lives, as opposed to showing only the negative stereotypes, which we're all used to seeing on a daily basis.

Is it really affecting your ability to live day to day? Keep you up at night? Making you so sick that you can't function....I'm willing to be that the answer is no.

Ran
07-24-2008, 08:48 AM
Wow, that's the first time you've ever agreed with me!

Cool.There's always a common ground. :cheers:

BobbyFresco
07-24-2008, 08:52 AM
And also....White Americans need to understand that Sharpton and Jackson and Farakhan are not representative of Black sentiment as a whole group....Stop associating these few asshats with all of us, because that is not the case.

IP37
07-24-2008, 08:52 AM
heh i saw it on the website.. but right up under it was "Child molester hasn't served single day of 43-year prison term" with a picture of a black guy

??

BobbyFresco
07-24-2008, 08:54 AM

Cornel West is a very intelligent man and I think that he serves to empower black people a whole lot more than jackson or Sharpton at this point and time...

Dr.G35
07-24-2008, 08:56 AM
Cornel West is a very intelligent man and I think that he serves to empower black people a whole lot more than jackson or Sharpton at this point and time...

i agree. sharpton and jackson are just tooooooooo far extremists for me to even look at.

blazin'
07-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Has anybody jumped onto cnn on at least it's website recently and noticed this black in America special they have going on? I think this is getting really stupid now. I'm thinking that cnn only did this because Barack Obama is a major news topic.

Im getting a lil tired of the media putting all this woe is me racial television specials on tv. Do I believe racism is a problem? Yes I wont even lie there i know it is still around. Im just rather annoyed that T.V shows and Movies exploit this fact to no end like we are still in the 60's. I think 90% of the racial issues black people face in general could be chalked up to accountability. But no magically its the governments fault and no fault of their own. Not that there arent some viable cases where racism comes into play but not nearly as bad as the media gives the impression of IMO.

And before any of you go all you're a racist I am black btw and still find this kind of going overboard. If we did a white in a amreica special it would be racist. asian or spanish in america wouldn't get half the damn attention.

Just my :2cents: discuss.

I agree. I think the topic of race is getting/has gotten out of control. I try to keep an open mind about all races, and I honestly try not to be racist, but I'm tired of hearing about race issues.

AirMax95
This thread is but a small example of why race will almost always be a factor in America and why things may never change for the better....

While it's very true that there are black people that would rather live off of government assistance rather than do for themselves, the same can be said about white people as well. I think it's a stretch to insinuate that black people as a whole care nothing about being self sufficient.

- I think it's ridiculous that white men view themselves as victims because of issues like affirmative action.Some of you preach about how equality will not be attained until people stop expecting special priviledges, so you complain about blacks and their so called "victim complex" but yet you're doing the same thing by blaiming a group of people for whatever opportunities or god given rights you feel you are entitled to but not receiving. Practice what you preach. Is it so far fetched that a person of another ethnicity or race could possibly be more qualified at whatever the issue at hand be?

-God forbid that CNN show a different side of how the average black American lives, as opposed to showing only the negative stereotypes, which we're all used to seeing on a daily basis.

Is it really affecting your ability to live day to day? Keep you up at night? Making you so sick that you can't function....I'm willing to be that the answer is no.

I wonder what it would take for CNN, hell even BET, to portray the Middle to Lower Upper class in America. Maybe that would help everyone understand that not all african americans are not "bumming off america".

Afirmitive Action.......whatever, lol. Get ur **** together and get the job you want. Don't throw the blame anywhere, lol. No one should rely on it, and no one should be threatened by it.

BanginJimmy

Affirmative action is nothing more than govt endorsed discrimination.

While it may have had its used 20 years ago the need for this program has passed. Businesses are out to make money, not simply hire their friends. If the black man is more qualified then 99 of 100 times he is going to be hired, but if the white man is more qualified then the HR rep has to make sure he has sufficient blacks on the payrole before hiring the white guy.

I ahve never asked for special privlage and I dont want it, why is it wrong of me to think that no one else should have it either?

AirMax95
07-24-2008, 08:59 AM

I vote to ban their names from society!!!!! :D

BobbyFresco
07-24-2008, 09:00 AM
i agree. sharpton and jackson are just tooooooooo far extremists for me to even look at.

I agree....and the overexposure of these idiots in the media is only making things worse and souring the views that some White americans have towards Black americans as a group...They are doing more damage than good...

DevilK9
07-24-2008, 09:02 AM
EDITED FOR COLOR RED = CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!?!?

Dude, first off, if you're going to post, do it in a color we can read.

Second, I'd rather you put a **** in my mouth than words! I didn't say " there are black people that would rather live off of government assistance rather than do for themselves" what I said was (and I quote) "We are trying to provide opportunity for those that have not worked for it or made the responsible decisions that open up opportunities for themselves." I never said black, I said "those". Black, white, tan, brown. . . or in my mom's case. . . black and blue. We have equal rights, not equal opportunity. Social programs for the poor without required progress only feeds the disease. I have a plethora of studies to back that up. They have helped nothing but to sustain economic, social and cultural apathy.

Third, I never profiled myself or other white males as " victims because of issues like affirmative action." You are only a victim if something is done to you, not because you're in the same environment. For instance, if I'm dining in a nice Italian establishment and some mobster busts in and shoots a couple of guys in the head, I am not a victim of murder, I just have to deal with being in a sh/tty environment at the time. (why does it have to be Italian??) I am not a victim of affirmative action, I just have to deal with operating economically within the sh/tty environment that short-sighted bureacrats created.

Oh, and if anybody is broadcasting (as you say) "the negative stereotypes, which we're all used to seeing on a daily basis." you might want to tune into BET, the latest and greatest rap video, black magazine, or wayman brothers production. And, once again - nobody says they can't discuss the issue or have a program on the situation. That's not the issue that started the thread. The issue is that it's continually being crammed down our throats.

Finally, nobody said anything about ethnic minorities being underqualified, so take that race baiting bullsh/t somewhere else.

Sport1.3
07-24-2008, 09:04 AM
WHEY POWDER!!!

AirMax95
07-24-2008, 09:05 AM
I agree....and the overexposure of these idiots in the media is only making things worse and souring the views that some White americans have towards Black americans as a group...They are doing more damage than good...

......And that is why you only see them on their own tyrades. They are not wanted at the summits, CNN telecast, BET specials, or public events. Educated african americans respect them for their work in the 1960's-1990's, some in the 2000's. Beyond that, they have been tainted far too much to rep all African Americans.

AirMax95
07-24-2008, 09:06 AM

Second, I'd rather you put a **** in my mouth than words! I didn't say " there are black people that would rather live off of government assistance rather than do for themselves" what I said was (and I quote) "We are trying to provide opportunity for those that have not worked for it or made the responsible decisions that open up opportunities for themselves." I never said black, I said "those". Black, white, tan, brown. . . or in my mom's case. . . black and blue. We have equal rights, not equal opportunity. Social programs for the poor without required progress only feeds the disease. I have a plethora of studies to back that up. They have helped nothing but to sustain economic, social and cultural apathy.

Third, I never profiled myself or other white males as " victims because of issues like affirmative action." You are only a victim if something is done to you, not because you're in the same environment. For instance, if I'm dining in a nice Italian establishment and some mobster busts in and shoots a couple of guys in the head, I am not a victim of murder, I just have to deal with being in a sh/tty environment at the time. (why does it have to be Italian??) I am not a victim of affirmative action, I just have to deal with operating economically within the sh/tty environment that short-sighted bureacrats created.

Oh, and if anybody is broadcasting (as you say) "the negative stereotypes, which we're all used to seeing on a daily basis." you might want to tune into BET, the latest and greatest rap video, black magazine, or wayman brothers production. And, once again - nobody says they can't discuss the issue or have a program on the situation. That's not the issue that started the thread. The issue is that it's continually being crammed down our throats.

Finally, nobody said anything about ethnic minorities being underqualified, so take that race baiting bullsh/t somewhere else.

You font color is white and I can't see it on my screen....... :screwy:

BobbyFresco
07-24-2008, 09:11 AM
Affirmative action is nothing more than govt endorsed discrimination.

While it may have had its used 20 years ago the need for this program has passed. Businesses are out to make money, not simply hire their friends. If the black man is more qualified then 99 of 100 times he is going to be hired, but if the white man is more qualified then the HR rep has to make sure he has sufficient blacks on the payrole before hiring the white guy.

I ahve never asked for special privlage and I dont want it, why is it wrong of me to think that no one else should have it either?

There's no doubt that affirmative action has outgrown its original intent and purpose. I agree with that notion completely and feel that people need to be self accountable and responsible for their futures...However, ppl fail to realize that aa didn't just "benefit" black people because other ethnicities and women did as well.

BobbyFresco
07-24-2008, 09:16 AM
EDITED FOR COLOR RED = CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!?!?

First off, did I quote you or direct my post specifically towards you?

I actually agreed wth your initial post so do me a favor and take that guilty conscience/defensive shyt somewhere else....:goodjob:

DevilK9
07-24-2008, 09:19 AM
....and now back to our previously scheduled programming...

....an African American, applying for employment as a data entry clerk, is speaking with the general manager (a complete RACIST!!)

Employer: I really don't want you to work here you f/ckin (insert racial slur)
Applicant: Oh, well Affirmative Action says you have to fire me
Employer: I know, but I'm going to make your life a living hell. I have to hire you, not promote you, and not give you any room for personal advancement!! Ha Ha F/CKER!
Applicant: That'll be fine. At least I have a job.
Employer: I'm going to make sure you do nothing putting on a resume your entire time here, and that you get paid at the lowest level possible.
Applicant: Thank you sir!
Employer: Oh, and you can forget about a recommendation.

Do you want to work in this environment? Didn't think so.

Yah...Affirmative Action was AWESOME!

DevilK9
07-24-2008, 09:24 AM
that guilty conscience/defensive shyt

Go f/ck yourself. I have nothing to feel guilty for. If you knew me, my background you'd realize how ignorant you really are.

BobbyFresco
07-24-2008, 09:29 AM
Go f/ck yourself. I have nothing to feel guilty for. If you knew me, my background you'd realize how ignorant you really are.

LOLOLOL....Funny how you left out the rest of what I said....You jumped my ass because you somehow got the impression through my post that I was directing it towards you, but I'm ignorant.....I corrected you and went on to state that I agreed with your original post, and you have yet to acknowledge that, but I'm ignorant....LOL....Seems like the ignorant one here is you, my friend...

You may now take your foot out of your mouth.:goodjob:

AirMax95
07-24-2008, 09:32 AM
....and now back to our previously scheduled programming...

....an African American, applying for employment as a data entry clerk, is speaking with the general manager (a complete RACIST!!)

Employer: I really don't want you to work here you f/ckin (insert racial slur)
Applicant: Oh, well Affirmative Action says you have to fire me
Employer: I know, but I'm going to make your life a living hell. I have to hire you, not promote you, and not give you any room for personal advancement!! Ha Ha F/CKER!
Applicant: That'll be fine. At least I have a job.
Employer: I'm going to make sure you do nothing putting on a resume your entire time here, and that you get paid at the lowest level possible.
Applicant: Thank you sir!
Employer: Oh, and you can forget about a recommendation.

Do you want to work in this environment? Didn't think so.

Yah...Affirmative Action was AWESOME!

It will not be voiced like that at all.

When I go into an interview, I know my shyt. I know that every requirement on that paper is in my knowledge bank. I prove to an employer that I can do that shyt better than anybody (pick a color or race, I will own your ass, lol).

Seriously, I have worked in office enviroments where I am the "token black guy". This time I have to other black people that I know are in the office, but we are in completely different departments. One is the VP of Enginering Design, the other is a HR manager. I am pretty sure they didnt get their jobs off AA.

When you know your stuff, it shows and people will hire you to do a job.

Hell, my job powers our national distribution cost saving initiative pretty sure an AA candidate wouldnt get that job, lol.

DevilK9
07-24-2008, 09:32 AM
I will concede that I assumed direction wrongly by quoting you, and I appreciate that you agree with me.

I will however still strongly disagree with you. I believe you are ignorant on the true legislative and economic scope of Affirmative Action. This assumption comes from the context of your posts. No quotes.

DevilK9
07-24-2008, 09:37 AM
I'm not saying that all jobs acquired by folks of ethnic nature are products of AA. I'm simply saying that it forces biased employers into a negative internal relationship.

If the potential employer is going to hate and despise you, why would you WANT to work for them?

That's as deep as that commentary went. Nothing about stereotypes or umbrella qualifications.

AirMax95
07-24-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm not saying that all jobs acquired by folks of ethnic nature are products of AA. I'm simply saying that it forces biased employers into a negative internal relationship.

If the potential employer is going to hate and despise you, why would you WANT to work for them?

That's as deep as that commentary went. Nothing about stereotypes or umbrella qualifications.

I understand your point, but you will never know if that person doesnt like you. You can gauge the vibe in the interview, but phuck it, I don't even think about it.....

My post was really just to show the AA is needed, but dont rely on it. It does not apply to jobs over a certain career level or job function. If someone doesnt like a race/color, then you wouldnt get a higher up job if they didnt want you to have it. I feel AA is for the lower level, non-professional job fields. Just my opinion, bash if you like.

DevilK9
07-24-2008, 09:51 AM
No, I won't bash. You have a solid point.

I simply don't believe in the constitutional basis upon which the law is built, and I have a serious problem with some of the backdoor details that it forces upon employers. Too much regulation.

Any employer that hires by race rather than ability or qualifications is going to fail anyway. It's a global market, and such cultural indiscretions will inevitably bring premature failure.

AirMax95
07-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Yeah, every law on the books has a backdoor that benefits some more than others.

My personal backdoor is a solid education or trade. Either one gives you an outlet: Land a good job, or say phuck em and start your own business!

DevilK9
07-24-2008, 10:18 AM
say phuck em and start your own business!

That's my goal!

BanginJimmy
07-24-2008, 10:31 AM
It will not be voiced like that at all.

When I go into an interview, I know my shyt. I know that every requirement on that paper is in my knowledge bank. I prove to an employer that I can do that shyt better than anybody (pick a color or race, I will own your ass, lol).

Seriously, I have worked in office enviroments where I am the "token black guy". This time I have to other black people that I know are in the office, but we are in completely different departments. One is the VP of Enginering Design, the other is a HR manager. I am pretty sure they didnt get their jobs off AA.

When you know your stuff, it shows and people will hire you to do a job.

Hell, my job powers our national distribution cost saving initiative pretty sure an AA candidate wouldnt get that job, lol.

Your point just proved the fact that Affirmative Action is beyond its usefulness.

AirMax95
07-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Your point just proved the fact that Affirmative Action is beyond its usefulness.

I was never completely defending it. In its current form, it is only needed at certain levels of employment, not all.

tony
07-24-2008, 10:42 AM
Boo ****ing hoo, theres a special on being "Black in America" on a network based in ATLANTA, where.. *gasp* BLACK PEOPLE LIVE and work, and probably hold high executive positions to get something like this on CNN. The show is an investigative special on how it is to be Black in this country, seriously if that offends you then you really need to grow up and live in the real world.. there are issues that pertain to the black community that is often overlooked in the mainstream media, and its pretty good if you just sit and watch rather than judge based on the title.

It's weak for someone to whine about a show the focuses on a specific demographic. It's no different than a show on hispanics who migrate to america, slavery, how Asian Americans live here. Basically, get over it.

Just out of curiosity, who here has watched the first half of it?

tony
07-24-2008, 10:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uH0vpGZJCo

More than anything I could ever say on Affirmative Action.

AirMax95
07-24-2008, 10:54 AM
Boo ****ing hoo, theres a special on being "Black in America" on a network based in ATLANTA, where.. *gasp* BLACK PEOPLE LIVE and work, and probably hold high executive positions to get something like this on CNN. The show is an investigative special on how it is to be Black in this country, seriously if that offends you then you really need to grow up and live in the real world.. there are issues that pertain to the black community that is often overlooked in the mainstream media, and its pretty good if you just sit and watch rather than judge based on the title.

It's weak for someone to whine about a show the focuses on a specific demographic. It's no different than a show on hispanics who migrate to america, slavery, how Asian Americans live here. Basically, get over it.

No one will ever understand, esp on this board.

I missed it, sadly. I hope to catch it if they show it again. I am watching the 2nd part tonight though.

2turbo4u
07-24-2008, 11:25 AM
The series been going on for about two months now on CNN. It's now getting more attention from all sorts of people. P.B.S also haves a program close to this. On the CNN program they spoke to a white employer and ask him if he would hire a black man who was a college grad. He said he would rather hire a white ex-con before hiring a black that was college educated. He states that blacks were lazy! :thinking:

AirMax95
07-24-2008, 11:32 AM
The series been going on for about two months now on CNN. It's now getting more attention from all sorts of people. P.B.S also haves a program close to this. On the CNN program they spoke to a white employer and ask him if he would hire a black man who was a college grad. He said he would rather hire a white ex-con before hiring a black that was college educated. He states that blacks were lazy! :thinking:

Scary ****.......sad, but there are really people that take stereotypes and blanket them.

MistaCee
07-24-2008, 01:07 PM

I watched it.

tony
07-24-2008, 01:18 PM
I watched it.

What'd you think?

stephen
07-24-2008, 01:25 PM

You stole the words right from my mouth. I was wondering if anyone who has a problem with the show, actually took the time to WATCH IT and understand what it was really about. There was little to nothing about "what the white man has taken from us" on there. It's kind of sad to see that a black person (the OP) took nothing from the program aside from being "offended" or thinking "it's just plain old."

When I started hearing all of the statistics:
18% of the population is black.
1 in 3 black children are born into or grow up in poverty.
black children rank the LOWEST IN THE WORLD in school systems.
50% of all black women aren't married or have never been married, yet 40% of black children are born to single mothers.
40% of murders committed involve black people, and in Baltimore, black people make up 98% of the murders committed.

That sh!t hit home hard for me. They have a 10yr old boy on the show who is part of a study (he gets paid to make good grades), and his plan with his money is to help his father pay the bills. A lot of young black kids aren't shown the importance of education, and become products of their environment. They start getting into "fast money," but don't understand that lifestyle has no long-term benefits.

The show is more of a wake-up call if nothing more...not some "kill/hate whitey" campaign. I know many parts of my life fall into those statistics. I grew up in a single parent home, where if my mom didn't have it...then we didn't get it (1 mother raising 2 kids). I remember times of having to light candles because the power was off, or boiling water to take a hot bath because our gas was off, or my mother buying fabric from Wal-Mart to make us "new" clothes for our first day of school...the list goes on. My mother emphasized the importance of education to me and my little sister. From 4th grade until I graduated I was in a "High Achievers" program. Graduated HS, and got a scholarship. Graduated College, and will now be going back for a 2nd degree. Now I'm able to satisfy my materialistic side (I bought my Porsche at the age of 23) that a lot of people in general only dream of, and I owe it all to education.

I truly hope that show inspired (or will inspire) atleast one black youth to see the importance of education, and get a better hold on life.

AirMax95
07-24-2008, 01:40 PM
You stole the words right from my mouth. I was wondering if anyone who has a problem with the show, actually took the time to WATCH IT and understand what it was really about. There was little to nothing about "what the white man has taken from us" on there. It's kind of sad to see that a black person (the OP) took nothing from the program aside from being "offended" or thinking "it's just plain old."

When I started hearing all of the statistics:
18% of the population is black.
1 in 3 black children are born into or grow up in poverty.
black children rank the LOWEST IN THE WORLD in school systems.
50% of all black women aren't married or have never been married, yet 40% of black children are born to single mothers.
40% of murders committed involve black people, and in Baltimore, black people make up 98% of the murders committed.

That sh!t hit home hard for me. They have a 10yr old boy on the show who is part of a study (he gets paid to make good grades), and his plan with his money is to help his father pay the bills. A lot of young black kids aren't shown the importance of education, and become products of their environment. They start getting into "fast money," but don't understand that lifestyle has no long-term benefits.

The show is more of a wake-up call if nothing more...not some "kill/hate whitey" campaign. I know many parts of my life fall into those statistics. I grew up in a single parent home, where if my mom didn't have it...then we didn't get it (1 mother raising 2 kids). I remember times of having to light candles because the power was off, or boiling water to take a hot bath because our gas was off, or my mother buying fabric from Wal-Mart to make us "new" clothes for our first day of school...the list goes on. My mother emphasized the importance of education to me and my little sister. From 4th grade until I graduated I was in a "High Achievers" program. Graduated HS, and got a scholarship. Graduated College, and will now be going back for a 2nd degree. Now I'm able to satisfy my materialistic side (I bought my Porsche at the age of 23) that a lot of people in general only dream of, and I owe it all to education.

I truly hope that show inspired (or will inspire) atleast one black youth to see the importance of education, and get a better hold on life.

Excellent........

We need more people like yourself in society giving back (if you have the time). Mentoring one child can make a difference. Not every child get the chance to have a parent that gives a damn and wants the best for their children.

Wake up call = :goodjob:
Reality check = :goodjob:
The "white man"= :no:
Time to pitch in to help = :goodjob:
Blaming problems on the world = :no:

JConner
07-24-2008, 03:45 PM

This is an excuse. Poor schools are not the reason blacks are 5x more likely to drop out of school. Entitlement programs are also a main reason that most that start their life poor stay that way. Why work when you can get paid by the govt for doing nothing?

So does being a white male. We arent allowed to have a non PC opinion without being called racist or other such words to fit the situation.

great post!!!!

JITB
07-24-2008, 04:17 PM
lol/// boo hoo x2.. you guys are HILARIOUS!!!

im waiting for the ole NAACP rant!

AirMax95
07-24-2008, 04:19 PM
lol/// boo hoo x2.. you guys are HILARIOUS!!!

im waiting for the ole NAACP rant!

Its coming....."they are the most racist group of :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

JITB
07-24-2008, 04:22 PM
Did you all know that we have our own channel?

AirMax95
07-24-2008, 04:31 PM
^^^who is we?

Bballjamal
07-24-2008, 04:31 PM
God I hope your not black. :screwy:

I found the show interesting and it shows problems that the African American community needs to work through. I like how they showed that racism is not only outside the race but within it as well. :2cents:

So in conclusion...
:thinking: :goodjob: :gay:

JITB
07-24-2008, 04:33 PM
^^^who is we?

we as in Black people... a channel just for black people that white people cant watch... even if they do own it.. :lmfao:

Bballjamal
07-24-2008, 04:57 PM
we as in Black people... a channel just for black people that white people cant watch... even if they do own it.. :lmfao:

You mean that channel where everything is encoded for only us to understand! :???:

JITB
07-24-2008, 05:07 PM
You mean that channel where everything is encoded for only us to understand! :???:

exactly!

They even have a law that makes people hire black people and not hire White people!! :eek:

Bballjamal
07-24-2008, 05:13 PM
exactly!

They even have a law that makes people hire black people and not hire White people!! :eek:

lolz! No one really knows all the music videos and shiet really hold small plots of world domination with our hermano's from the South and our yin yow's from the East.

JITB
07-24-2008, 05:34 PM
YO! they even give u scholarships and all you got to do is........be BLACK!

Bballjamal
07-24-2008, 06:15 PM
win

0p7!mu5
07-24-2008, 08:18 PM
actually i have watched it. Now im not dissing the legitimate points im just sayin on the whole I have been there when i was younger and have done rather well for myself same with the folks i grew up with in New Jersey before comming here. yeah i agree with the few of you who have struggled. **** happens and became better for it.

im not so much offended but I just find the timing rather interesting with the election and all. I watch things like this very closely. Just the subject is old to me in some ways. Why wait for a special to highlight these issues? Im not sayin all of us negroes keep ourselves in the hole many of us do rather well. Im just saying that i find it funny that during such an important election something like this comes up. many of us know its hard WE GET IT.

I just wish they would do something like this not just on a racial demographic but on a social economic level like middle class people or lower as a whole. Tony I agree with you more times than not and true its not so diffrent here, yet you prved my point kind of. Im just awaiting to see less statistics and more of how not only the community but damnit congress and people personally is going to make an effort to do something more than what we are now. Like my mom says dont apologize just fix the problem.

Granted we have made major advancements (hell one half of us is on the democratic ticket) and have some way to go but lets face it on the whole knowing how apathetic most americans are is a tv show going to help? Most folks are watching American Idol. i applaud the effort I really do ( i like the fact that they do show that not all of us are being stereotypical), but I just wish that in light of the recent economic problems that shows like this would focus on a broader range of races. That's kind of where i was going with this.

tony
07-24-2008, 08:58 PM
actually i have watched it. Now im not dissing the legitimate points im just sayin on the whole I have been there when i was younger and have done rather well for myself same with the folks i grew up with in New Jersey before comming here. yeah i agree with the few of you who have struggled. **** happens and became better for it.

im not so much offended but I just find the timing rather interesting with the election and all. I watch things like this very closely. Just the subject is old to me in some ways. Why wait for a special to highlight these issues? Im not sayin all of us negroes keep ourselves in the hole many of us do rather well. Im just saying that i find it funny that during such an important election something like this comes up. many of us know its hard WE GET IT.

I just wish they would do something like this not just on a racial demographic but on a social economic level like middle class people or lower as a whole. Tony I agree with you more times than not and true its not so diffrent here, yet you prved my point kind of. Im just awaiting to see less statistics and more of how not only the community but damnit congress and people personally is going to make an effort to do something more than what we are now. Like my mom says dont apologize just fix the problem.

Granted we have made major advancements (hell one half of us is on the democratic ticket) and have some way to go but lets face it on the whole knowing how apathetic most americans are is a tv show going to help? Most folks are watching American Idol. i applaud the effort I really do ( i like the fact that they do show that not all of us are being stereotypical), but I just wish that in light of the recent economic problems that shows like this would focus on a broader range of races. That's kind of where i was going with this.

I'll be honest, my initial reaction was similar to yours.. I felt it drove a wedge to make a show pertaining to only blacks in America but then I actually sat down and watched the 30 minute preview and it is an eye opener to say the least and I commend Soledad O'brien for pursuing this. The special on Dr. King was remarkable, the panel they had last week had one of my favorite economists (Roland Fryer, the guy proposing the paid incentive for school) and just the all around discussion is much needed.

It kind of shifted my focus that, in my day to day trials I set out to make an example of myself for my son. But watching the special it makes me realize that there is a much bigger responsibility, and not just the one to our own children but also try to set a path for others around us as well.. cause not all of these kids have that.

When you really sit down and think these things out rather than react to what is there on the surface, the subject matter is so engaging which is why I'm enjoying this report on Black America.

0p7!mu5
07-24-2008, 09:43 PM
yeah well not having cable sucks so im down to youtube and what i read off cnn. but i feel ya there. like i said tho in general topics like this in the way they are usually portrayed are rather annoying to me. I mean I grew up in a ****ty neighborhood with steryotypical ghetto **** around but my family and i didnt feed into it same with my friends.

I look back on how far my friend and I have gotten (i shall be owning my first townhome soon and my closest friend just got back from Iraq recently and is doing well) I know I can achieve and really others can too. but yeah 9/10 most expose's (sp?) on the black race usually give more of a damn excuse imo. Welfare and programs like that has its place but there needs to be more of a push to get peopleoff it than dependent on it.