PDA

View Full Version : Think it would never happen to you?

Ed
07-23-2008, 12:04 PM
Yesterday, i decided to go over to my mom's to get my mail, since i do not live there anymore, and upon receiving such mail something came as a surprise to me.

A letter from a financial institution saying "Here are your checks, you can use it for tuition, payments..." blah blah blah.

I thought to myself, wtf is this? So this morning i called and said I had gotten the letter, they confirmed there was an account open. They verified my information and all seemed to match, except address (which i have no idea how they had the wrong address, but still i got a letter at my old address), phone number, and date of birth. Apparently this person made over 9k of purchases in my name.

At first, I seemed a bit "iffy" to start giving these people I had no idea about, if they were really said financial institution. So as I was on the phone, I checked all their phone numbers, etc and it matched, so after that I was fine with giving them information.

They were very nice, closed the account as a fraudulent account, and I do not have to pay a dime for it. After that they were nice enough to offer protection services for my social, free of charge, we spoke to Transunion and added the theft protection feature to my account and the other 2 big Credit score keepers (equifax and experian) and they have the same service in their system too.

Now when someone tries to open an account with my name, they have to call a direct number to me, and verify that it really is me (they have a password now) and i have to authorize that account to be opened.

Next step is to call the SS office and let them now. I am getting a bunch of packages in the mail i need to sign and return and also need to file a police report, because they might know who it is already.

Any thoughts? Should I have done something different? Has this happened to anyone here?

Notes:
Identity stolen
Account created
Lots of money stolen
Got it taken care of.

Hulud
07-23-2008, 12:06 PM
sucks man, good to know your not liable for any of it.

Ed
07-23-2008, 12:07 PM
sucks man, good to know your not liable for any of it.

right, when i asked how much they had spent and she told me i started laughing. lol

blazin'
07-23-2008, 12:09 PM
Sounds like you have it under control.

Ed
07-23-2008, 12:10 PM
integrahot: my credit got screwed
yslbtt: yeah the day you were born and they saw your skin color it was screwed

lol

Ed
07-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Sounds like you have it under control.

i hope so. :???:

Crazy Asian
07-23-2008, 12:11 PM
Someone bought toner cartridges totaling 200 dollars on my debit card. I called them they closed everything and returned the money.

Hulud
07-23-2008, 12:11 PM
right, when i asked how much they had spent and she told me i started laughing. lol
haha i wold be like "are you sh*tting me?" LOL

Ed
07-23-2008, 12:13 PM
haha i wold be like "are you sh*tting me?" LOL

lol i was like gahdamn. i wanted to ask if they catch him if i can have whatever he bought :D

haha i know i woudlnt though

mocha latte cupcake
07-23-2008, 12:14 PM
DANG MAN! glad you got it handles though! for real that sucks! i went ahead and locked down that stuff a long time ago after a buddy of mine had that happen to him...

AirMax95
07-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Recently I had to close my bank account. Someone in Canada bought lots of gas with my debit card number! My bank called and asked me if I am in, or had been to, Canada in the past 3 days. They wiped the charges, but I had to open a new account.

People, please shred ALL of your financial information. Even if it is a CC offer or a simple notice.

****ing thieves!!!

Ed
07-23-2008, 12:20 PM
DANG MAN! glad you got it handles though! for real that sucks! i went ahead and locked down that stuff a long time ago after a buddy of mine had that happen to him...

yeah, im going to recommend everyone i know to do it if they havent already done so.

Recently I had to close my bank account. Someone in Canada bought lots of gas with my debit card number! My bank called and asked me if I am in, or had been to, Canada in the past 3 days. They wiped the charges, but I had to open a new account.

People, please shred ALL of your financial information. Even if it is a CC offer or a simple notice.

****ing thieves!!!

thats ****ed up. im just glad i dont have to pay a dime of it. thieves ftl.

i have no idea how they got it, but it's not over the net, i never put my stuff out there.

DJ Maestro
07-23-2008, 12:27 PM
The wife of a guy I work just had her entire checking account wiped out by someone who skimmed her debit card info at an ATM last week. Luckily all the charges happened in Europe while she was here in the US so the bank is putting it all back in for her. Even ATM's are getting dangerous to use these days. :no:

4dmin
07-23-2008, 12:34 PM
thats cool man... ya i just heard about he lock on credit deal it is 9$ for the three companies, free if you are a senior or have been victim of fraud. what was the number i need to add that to mine as well?

Ed
07-23-2008, 12:52 PM
thats cool man... ya i just heard about he lock on credit deal it is 9$ for the three companies, free if you are a senior or have been victim of fraud. what was the number i need to add that to mine as well?

call transunion they are not charging me. i think if you call them directly they wont charge you. transunion said they would pass the info on to the other two offices.

ATLTSX
07-23-2008, 01:08 PM
That's crazy bro. Glad to see you got it worked out.

Killer
07-23-2008, 01:16 PM
i did it...

i just didn't think you'd be smart enough to catch on... :ninja:

thanks for the chicken sandwich, waffle fries, and dr pepper.... FO FREE!!!!

kelly marie
07-23-2008, 01:17 PM
a few months ago i noticed a $185 charge on our checking account.. i asked my husband if he had purchased anything with our debit in that amount and forgot to tell me.. well he didn't so i called wachovia and they cancelled my card and credited back the $185. they gave me the name of the place where the POS took place.. all i could find was a baptist church in texas..

it kind of made me sad b/c what if someone tried to give their tithe with our money :( it could have been anything though.. maybe someone gave their card number to someone but the person wrote it down wrong..

luckly that's the only credit issue we've had.. it sounds like you are on the right track! good luck!

Ed
07-23-2008, 01:18 PM
That's crazy bro. Glad to see you got it worked out.

i know man, thanks

i did it...

i just didn't think you'd be smart enough to catch on... :ninja:

thanks for the chicken sandwich, waffle fries, and dr pepper.... FO FREE!!!!

damn you mustve bought a year's worth of it. 9k in chic fila. lol

a few months ago i noticed a $185 charge on our checking account.. i asked my husband if he had purchased anything with our debit in that amount and forgot to tell me.. well he didn't so i called wachovia and they cancelled my card and credited back the $185. they gave me the name of the place where the POS took place.. all i could find was a baptist church in texas..

it kind of made me sad b/c what if someone tried to give their tithe with our money :(

luckly that's the only credit issue we've had.. it sounds like you are on the right track! good luck!

LiL PaKi
07-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Nothing THAT bad... I had lost my wallet from my purse at the freaking bank and next thing you know they withdrew $800 from the damn teller inside the bank.. the person used my ID and took out money... either that or it was internal.

ShooterMcGavin
07-23-2008, 02:23 PM
good to hear you got it taken care of...as for the packages that're coming your way, might wanna see what's in them first before returning...i mean you never know, things do get "lost" in the mail :lmao:

The Ninja
07-23-2008, 02:25 PM
I so doubt you would be this calm if your credit card company tried to shaft you and make you pay the $9k.

Good luck on gettin everything back in order.

Ed
07-23-2008, 02:35 PM
good to hear you got it taken care of...as for the packages that're coming your way, might wanna see what's in them first before returning...i mean you never know, things do get "lost" in the mail :lmao:

lol i know... and i will carefully read everything, keep a copy of whatever i sign.

thanks man.

I so doubt you would be this calm if your credit card company tried to shaft you and make you pay the $9k.

Good luck on gettin everything back in order.

yeah appreciate it.

IndianStig
07-23-2008, 02:40 PM
cash money millionaires baby. only fraud protection i need is my 9.

lawl.