PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Anyone with military experience

EvasiveEF9
07-23-2008, 07:53 AM
Hey, everyone. It's been a while since I've really been in here. I've been "enjoying" some intense training with the Marines. I just graduated MCT uphere at Camp Lejeune, NC. Today I head back in for another 6-10weeks of training on the H53 Sea Stallion helicopter (the huge f*cker from movie transformers). Once I complete training, I'll be assigned a unit and there I'll stay for 2-3yrs (likely 3yrs before I can move, again).

If I do well in my classes, I'm given the choice to request east coast, west coast, or overseas. I've done alot of thinking where I wanna be. But I can't decide. First I wanted overseas, because I'm single, not REALLY dating anyone, no kids, and I wanted to see another country. Problem is...being so far away from home and stuff, it'd be difficult to see friends and family. And I may get some sh*tty third-world country. So then I said screw it, I want the west coast. Rumor was you get an extra check because the west is so much more expensive than over here in the east. Found out that's ONLY if you're married. However, I would still get to be away from home, get to explore the west (because I've already seen most of the east), I know a couple people out there, there's skiing, and supposedly the west is SO much more fun. Well, last night, talking to a sgt I've known for a while who's been out there, he says for a first duty station, stay to the east coast. That way, I can usually "run home on a whim" (I'm a perm resident of Woodstock, GA) it'd be easier for friends/family to visit me, and basically it's just kinda closer to home. Not to mention, we've still got some mountains out here. Likely I'd be stationed in Pensacola, or one of two stations here in NC.

Anyone have any experience with such a decision, whether it be you, family, or a friend?

Thanks in advance to all who can open some thoughts.

willum14pb
07-23-2008, 08:03 AM
I say go west coast. You're still not too far from anyone to catch a flight.. overseas feel slike your trapped. it costs thousands to get back where as spirit will fly you round trip $400 from cali and back ;). Good luck and god speed.

EvasiveEF9
07-23-2008, 08:13 AM
True...but that's IF spirit flies there...well, depending on where. I'd probably end up at Miramar, or 29palms in socal.

DevilK9
07-23-2008, 08:14 AM
I'm a Marine and I made that exact decision years ago. PM sent with contact info.

Give me a call.

EvasiveEF9
07-23-2008, 08:23 AM
Oorah. Threw you a line. Probably busy with NCO stuff. :goodjob:

Hope to hear back.

DevilK9
07-23-2008, 09:02 AM
Oorah. Threw you a line. Probably busy with NCO stuff. :goodjob:

Hope to hear back.

No NCO stuff anymore, I've been out for over a year. Busy with marketing stuff these days.

Good to talk to you. Drop me a line anytime.

Be careful out there, keep your head low in the sh/t and your head high everywhere else.

EvasiveEF9
07-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Will do. Can't thank you enough for the head's up. I didn't follow the advice of my drill instructors on a couple things...and I learned quickly that hey...they pass on the advice for a friggin' reason!

Guess that's why you start at a private, right?

Thanks, again!

Vteckidd
07-23-2008, 09:16 AM
Overseas

1) May never get to do it again.
2) Worse thing that may happen is you go to IRAQ or Afgan and make BANK

DevilK9
07-23-2008, 09:31 AM

First, there are a lot better ways to make money and/or pay for college. Any recruiter that tells you it's about anything money, benefits, rather than selfless service to your country is a complete d/ck and should be strung up and hung by the balls.

Second, are you ****/n serious. Worse thing?

Tell that to my friends

Sgt. Jesse Strong (www.jessestrong.com/about.php)

Cpl. Ian Zook (http://www.legacy.com/PalmBeachPost/DeathNotices.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=2707683)

Oh wait...you can't, they're dead.

Vteckidd
07-23-2008, 09:37 AM
easy cowboy i come from a military family.

He asked a question and i answered. I have a good friend in the Marines, he travels overseas all the time. Hes in Jordan now, was in Iraq for 9 months too. He made ALOT of money when he was overseas for the hazard pay, tax free, etc. Hes actually trying to re-enlist when hes over there so his signing bonus will be tax free.

Its not ALL about the money, but come on, why do you think the military pays more for jobs in those areas? INCENTIVES.

Lets not pull any punches, when you join the marines, especially in todays world, and you pick an assignment overseas, you know the risk you are taking.

I appreciate your friends sacrifice, but they were brave and knew that this could have happened. You should honor them by remembering they paid the ultimate price, as do i. They knew the risk joining the military especially the marines.

So to the OP, since you have assumed the risk , i would go overseas, worse case scenario you wind up in IRAQ or Afgan. But you could be like my buddy an wind up in Asia, and other parts of the Arab world. And you make a good bit of money providing for your future as well why you are there.

FYI My father was a 20 Year Vet in the Air Force (Col.) and his father was before him, and before him. My mothers side has a Fighter Pilot and a Chief who gave almost 40 years of service. My Brother in law just got out, he was a major in the AF.

Vteckidd
07-23-2008, 09:41 AM
Oh and you shouldnt assume a tour in IRAG or AFGANISTAN is an automatic death sentence either.

I thought you would have more faith in our men an women of the Armed Forces, i know i do ;)

EvasiveEF9
07-23-2008, 09:42 AM
Overseas

1) May never get to do it again.
Damn, long time no talk...how have you been?

It's pretty much definite that anyone enlisted WILL deploy overseas. Being that I'm in a VERY good position for being deployed (airwing), my position is about as safe as they come. Yes, the money is a definite incentive, and I've thought harshly on the subject, and it would be great to have, but I can always earn that in deployments instead of stationing overseas. Most of the cpls and above that I've talked to have said stay a little closer to home, though, as you're more familiar with it, and it's easier to see family/friends than it is overseas. I think my choice to stay in the states is made as opposed to overseas (despite how much I wanna see Germany, Thailand, Japan, Guam, and Spain) The bigger debate I now face is east vs west.

Devil, I'm sorry to hear for their sacrifice.

Vteckidd
07-23-2008, 09:46 AM
West coast is the best coast.

My buddy is stationed in Cali normally, when hes not traveling.

Miramar would be cool, say hi to GOOSE and ICEMAN

EvasiveEF9
07-23-2008, 09:48 AM
West coast is the best coast.

My buddy is stationed in Cali normally, when hes not traveling.

Miramar would be cool, say hi to GOOSE and ICEMAN
Some of the first things that popped in my head when I heard it as a possibility...but the cost of living out there is SO much more than here. Granted, the military DOES offer an extra monthly bonus to cover it...being a SINGLE marine, I don't qualify for it. SUCKS. Miramar would be AWESOME, though.

Vteckidd
07-23-2008, 09:49 AM
take my breath away.........

DevilK9
07-23-2008, 09:57 AM
being a SINGLE marine, I don't qualify for it. SUCKS.

Yah, but you don't have the housing and food costs if you're on base eating at the chow hall. The BAH you're speaking about isn't a bonus, it's just a compensation for not having enough space on base.

DevilK9
07-23-2008, 10:10 AM
easy cowboy i come from a military family.

He asked a question and i answered. I have a good friend in the Marines, he travels overseas all the time. Hes in Jordan now, was in Iraq for 9 months too. He made ALOT of money when he was overseas for the hazard pay, tax free, etc. Hes actually trying to re-enlist when hes over there so his signing bonus will be tax free.

Its not ALL about the money, but come on, why do you think the military pays more for jobs in those areas? INCENTIVES.

Lets not pull any punches, when you join the marines, especially in todays world, and you pick an assignment overseas, you know the risk you are taking.

I appreciate your friends sacrifice, but they were brave and knew that this could have happened. You should honor them by remembering they paid the ultimate price, as do i. They knew the risk joining the military especially the marines.

So to the OP, since you have assumed the risk , i would go overseas, worse case scenario you wind up in IRAQ or Afgan. But you could be like my buddy an wind up in Asia, and other parts of the Arab world. And you make a good bit of money providing for your future as well why you are there.

FYI My father was a 20 Year Vet in the Air Force (Col.) and his father was before him, and before him. My mothers side has a Fighter Pilot and a Chief who gave almost 40 years of service. My Brother in law just got out, he was a major in the AF.

Kidd,

I know you, respect you, and I was not implying anything, just calling out a statement that appeared a little ignorant.

I know very much the dangers and benefits of overseas service. Been there, done that. True, you could wind up anywhere, and anything could happen. I was simply saying that ending up somewhere and making more money (whether that be increased BAH and COMRATS,Family Seperation Pay or Combat Pay in and area of conflict) was far from the worst that could happen.

I think it's great that your family has a history of service, but bloodlinesand military lifestyle do not a complete perspective on what the job truly means.

So to the original question, I spoke with the PFC on the phone and it looks like he's talking about a little slip of paper that they are required (by congress within the DOD Quality of Life Act of Whenever) to offer you that says "Where would you like to go?". These were passed out in peacetime and used as an incentive during A and C schools. Those that excelled got first dibs on a nice service station. Those that weren't as good generally took what they got. Since 2001, when I filled out the form, it pretty much means absolutely nothing. I gave the PFC a few ideas that will actually help him get where he wants to go.

So Kidd, this is not an argumentative post (as I've refrained from harsh language and use of sarcastic smileys). Just clarifying really.

By the way, per an article in Marine Corps Times earlier this year (yah, I still get it for some reason), the military pay equivalency came out to an average of -30% to civilian pay. Some were higher, some were lower, but overall, in skilled professions, enlisted pay is pretty bad. Officer pay isn't terrible, but there is a financial epidemic right now amongst enlisted personnel.

DevilK9
07-23-2008, 10:12 AM
The best way to make money in this whole sh/tpile of a situation is to go work for a no-bid contractor like Haliburton/KBR or Blackwater.

The guy that served my eggs at the chow hall at Bagram made three times what I did.

Shameful.

EvasiveEF9
07-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Yah, but you don't have the housing and food costs if you're on base eating at the chow hall. The BAH you're speaking about isn't a bonus, it's just a compensation for not having enough space on base.
Compensation was the word I was looking for...but I did a little drinking last night on libo. My grammar and vocabulary is starting to come back to me...

And yes, that's the exact comp I was referring to. Couple months ago I would have said the allowance goes to anyone west coast (not the BAH, but the compensation). It's true...with time comes experience, and experience comes knowledge.

ultm8mind
07-23-2008, 10:14 AM
Quit beinng a Mama's Boy and head overseas, LOL. You'll have alot more fun overseas, and you will get it out of the way incase you want to come stateside later. IF they indeed give you a choice, that's what I would do. Usually it's "needs of the Marines" or Army (in my case). I know how it works, but what third world country you think you'd get stationed in, out of curiousity. Do your research to see where YOUR JOB can get stationed and ask for specific locations. But hey, that's just my thoughts on that. Did you join the Marines because you wanted to be stationed at home near Mommy, Daddy and your friends? Just curious, if that be the case you mind as well have went Guard.

Devil K9, you should listen to the guy from a "military family," his dad was a Colonel. Nothing like the life we lead. Yes, Young PFC, there is a certain risk you take, but last time I checked we didn't get stationed in Afghan and Iraq, we get deployed there. I just came back fromm Afghan in February. Devil, I was in the Korengal Valley, and N2KL areas. Don't worry about the fam PFC, they will be doing the same thing everytime you visit as when you left. Not much changes. I speak from experience and a few years in this mans military. I was enlisted for 11 years in the AF and noow the Army, I also just joined the darkside and became a Warrant Officer. But that's because I am an Electronic Tech, and to stay in my job doing my job I had to. I know Marines deploy, but it's just 7 months, nothing like the 15 I just did or the 6 the AF does. But yeah, you'll most likely deploy East Coast, West Coast, or overseas. That's the reality of it......

EvasiveEF9
07-23-2008, 10:17 AM
Kidd,

I know you, respect you, and I was not implying anything, just calling out a statement that appeared a little ignorant.

I know very much the dangers and benefits of overseas service. Been there, done that. True, you could wind up anywhere, and anything could happen. I was simply saying that ending up somewhere and making more money (whether that be increased BAH and COMRATS,Family Seperation Pay or Combat Pay in and area of conflict) was far from the worst that could happen.

I think it's great that your family has a history of service, but bloodlinesand military lifestyle do not a complete perspective on what the job truly means.

So to the original question, I spoke with the PFC on the phone and it looks like he's talking about a little slip of paper that they are required (by congress within the DOD Quality of Life Act of Whenever) to offer you that says "Where would you like to go?". These were passed out in peacetime and used as an incentive during A and C schools. Those that excelled got first dibs on a nice service station. Those that weren't as good generally took what they got. Since 2001, when I filled out the form, it pretty much means absolutely nothing. I gave the PFC a few ideas that will actually help him get where he wants to go.

So Kidd, this is not an argumentative post (as I've refrained from harsh language and use of sarcastic smileys). Just clarifying really.

By the way, per an article in Marine Corps Times earlier this year (yah, I still get it for some reason), the military pay equivalency came out to an average of -30% to civilian pay. Some were higher, some were lower, but overall, in skilled professions, enlisted pay is pretty bad. Officer pay isn't terrible, but there is a financial epidemic right now amongst enlisted personnel.
What is COMRATS? Don't believe I've heard of it, yet...

And out of curiosity...that slip aside, to they normally send you nearer to home, or just wherever the hell they want to put you?

Devil, I'm sure you've heard, but thankfully they're TRYING to help that -30% in enlisted pay. I think we're expecting like 3% (???) increase in January? Only 27% to go, right?

I agree on civilian contracting...good god. I did some job searching before enlisting and saw offers for mechanics for the US in Afghan (??) offering like 70-80K a year, and more. So I called just to inquire, and they said it was pretty much only available to retired/honorably discharged personell. I decided I should have signed when I was 18.

EvasiveEF9
07-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Quit beinng a Mama's Boy and head overseas, LOL. You'll have alot more fun overseas, and you will get it out of the way incase you want to come stateside later. IF they indeed give you a choice, that's what I would do. Usually it's "needs of the Marines" or Army (in my case). I know how it works, but what third world country you think you'd get stationed in, out of curiousity. Do your research to see where YOUR JOB can get stationed and ask for specific locations. But hey, that's just my thoughts on that. Did you join the Marines because you wanted to be stationed at home near Mommy, Daddy and your friends? Just curious, if that be the case you mind as well have went Guard.
LoL. No mama's boy, here. But I would be slightly pissed if my car had to stay home while I was overseas. Not that that's what it's about...just saying comfortability of living would be easier in the states for the first DS. Not just the car, or family/friends, but the overall aura. It's already a big change in lifestyle to join the military...being unfamiliar with the culture and everything would only add to it.

Yes, the marines by FAR operate on a needs of the marine corps basis. I'm doing as much research as I can to find where the H53's are located, but it's not quite as easy as it sounds. Just last night I spent an hour hunting online. I wanna get back in there and find someone with more knoledge, but I have to wait until I at least get settled into the air station.

Vteckidd
07-23-2008, 10:32 AM
I agree my first statement was in haste and i typed it fast. Prob was a little insensitive to people who have lost friends and loved ones.

So i apolagize for that

jumpin800agl
07-23-2008, 10:33 AM
I did my first duty station at Fort Bragg, NC so I could be semi close to home. Right now I am in my hometown as a Recruiter and can't wait to leave. I am going to Italy in February. it's time to travel and see some of the world that doesn't involve a sandbox. Good luck to the OP in your choices.

Vteckidd
07-23-2008, 10:35 AM
And i have zero military experience, just grew up in a family.

And Air Force is def not as demanding as the Marines.

BanginJimmy
07-23-2008, 10:36 AM
If you are going with 53's when you could end up at a few places.

East coast you would be at Cheery Point NC. Its called the Cherry pit for a reason.

West coast you will be at Miramar. Nice base, nice facilities. I used to know quite a few people over there and you may run into 1 or 2 of them.

Overseas you could end up 2 places. Hawaii working on the 2 engine D models, or Okinawa working on the 3 engine E models. Okinawa kicks serious ass. I spent nearly 2 years there and I loved it. HMM 262 and 265 are both good squadrons from what I remember and you will end up on several trips on the boat to fine places like Australia.

If you have any other questions about Marine Aviaton it me up on a PM. I did it for 9 years and I know most of the nooks and crannies they stick people.

EvasiveEF9
07-23-2008, 10:37 AM
But would you advise being closer to home, or away, jumper?

EvasiveEF9
07-23-2008, 10:38 AM
And Air Force is def not as demanding as the Marines.
Today's understatement.

DevilK9
07-23-2008, 10:41 AM
true words.

Afghan was interesting. It was alway nice to get back to Bagram. Orgun E/Solerno were the most interesting. Just a bit of trivia for you that I'm sure you'll know or at least appreciate.

Jalalabad is the farthest away from an ocean that the USMC has ever operated in a combat environment. It's a new world we live in.

I understand the life of a Colonel's family. There is life experiences they have I'll never know (in the same way that I'll never know the true life of an Elec Tech Warrant), I just hate hearing commentary from anyone who hasn't been there.

I respect Kidd and I like him a lot.

I like how you put it about the family. Getting out of CONUS is surely the best. I had a wife and that was hard, but as you stated, the Marines have short deployments (didn't know about the 6 months for AF).

The heat that went before me arrived the same time as an Army Engineer Battallion. They left, we came, we left, they came back and they left with the Army Engineers.
That's got to kill moral. I feel for you guys. Maybe one of these days the DOD will open their eyes to the benefits of the Marine program and the Army will adopt more than just our cammies (sorry, cheap jab).

jumpin800agl
07-23-2008, 10:42 AM
But would you advise being closer to home, or away, jumper?
It was sort of nice at the time to only be a 6 hour drive from home or an hour flight. At this point though I can not wait to get away from home and see something different. If you have th opportunity to go to an overseas duty station I say take it. The experience will far outweigh the inability to come home on a regular basis.

EvasiveEF9
07-23-2008, 10:43 AM
If you are going with 53's when you could end up at a few places.

East coast you would be at Cheery Point NC. Its called the Cherry pit for a reason.

West coast you will be at Miramar. Nice base, nice facilities. I used to know quite a few people over there and you may run into 1 or 2 of them.

Overseas you could end up 2 places. Hawaii working on the 2 engine D models, or Okinawa working on the 3 engine E models. Okinawa kicks serious ass. I spent nearly 2 years there and I loved it. HMM 262 and 265 are both good squadrons from what I remember and you will end up on several trips on the boat to fine places like Australia.

If you have any other questions about Marine Aviaton it me up on a PM. I did it for 9 years and I know most of the nooks and crannies they stick people.
Cherry Point, huh? I think Lejeune also carries the 53's...during MCT I saw god knows how many of them and the osprey's flying out. I thought cherry point was supposed to be decent, though? I've heard about the delta's in hawaii. It caught my attention, but a down side I heard about Hawaii is if the docks go on strike...you may be out of TP for a minute. Then again, I might be able to fix that problem by eating MRE's...it'll back me up for a week. Problem solved.

The downside to Japan I heard was about the gold passes vs. the red passes and your times allowed out and stuff like that. Friggin' curfews. Not to mention people keep getting the base on lockdown due to...well, let's be blunt. Rape.

I don't mind time on a boat, at all...I think there's even some kind of comp involved with boat time, isn't there? Or was that a mere myth I heard.

Hit me with more insight, tips, advice, etc... It's all VERY greatly appreciated.

jumpin800agl
07-23-2008, 10:48 AM
true words.

Afghan was interesting. It was alway nice to get back to Bagram. Orgun E/Solerno were the most interesting. Just a bit of trivia for you that I'm sure you'll know or at least appreciate.

Jalalabad is the farthest away from an ocean that the USMC has ever operated in a combat environment. It's a new world we live in.

Bagram was a freaking resort with the Burger King, Spa/Salon, and the really cheap North Face gear shop.

Khost was fun at Chapman Airfield.
J'bad had good ice cream lol.
The last spot I went to was a complete sh1t hole in the middle of nowhere, close to Paki border.

EvasiveEF9
07-23-2008, 10:50 AM
It was sort of nice at the time to only be a 6 hour drive from home or an hour flight. At this point though I can not wait to get away from home and see something different. If you have th opportunity to go to an overseas duty station I say take it. The experience will far outweigh the inability to come home on a regular basis.
Many thanks.

BanginJimmy
07-23-2008, 11:03 AM
It was actually someone from my shop that got in trouble and caused the start of the liberty campaign plan over there, but it wasnt rape. Unless something else happened that I hadnt heard then it wasnt a rape that caused what you are seeing. It sucks hard core, but at the same time you dont really notice it. You could always goto the club on Camp Foster and it was always packed with Okinawan fleamales.

Cherry Pit is part of LeJuene, thats why you saw so many over there.

DevilK9
07-23-2008, 11:14 AM
Bagram was a freaking resort with the Burger King, Spa/Salon, and the really cheap North Face gear shop.

Khost was fun at Chapman Airfield.
J'bad had good ice cream lol.
The last spot I went to was a complete sh1t hole in the middle of nowhere, close to Paki border.

Couldn't have said it better!
The place lit up in 04. I was gone for about 5 weeks and I came back to the BK trailer and the spa. Never got an appointment...shoulda.

I used to shuttle special squirrels back and forth from Solerno to Chapman. I preferred Solerno only cuz at the time there weren't any Marines at Chapman.

Ice Cream. Hmmm...I missed out.

sh1t hole in the middle of nowhere, close to Paki border. Sounds like Orgun E.

DevilK9
07-23-2008, 11:15 AM
I always wanted to go to Oki. Never got the chance. I had a friend that went there (Administrative Clerk) and he loved it.

Then again, I know a guy who went there and got AIDS, so I guess it's different for everyone!

Vteckidd
07-23-2008, 11:18 AM
We were at Ramstein for 4 years, best time of my life. Got to go to Italy, France, UK, Belgium, Spain, etc

I actually swam in the Munich Olympic Pool for EFSL Championships, and i still hold records for 14 year olds over there :)

Berlin was cool to

EvasiveEF9
07-23-2008, 11:22 AM
It was actually someone from my shop that got in trouble and caused the start of the liberty campaign plan over there, but it wasnt rape. Unless something else happened that I hadnt heard then it wasnt a rape that caused what you are seeing. It sucks hard core, but at the same time you dont really notice it. You could always goto the club on Camp Foster and it was always packed with Okinawan fleamales.

Cherry Pit is part of LeJuene, thats why you saw so many over there.
So the airfield IS Cherry Point? I was under the impression Cherry Point was about an hour away...?

I think a rape case DID occur...probably after you'd left. Don't know, though.

Any idea where I could glance at a chart or something and find out where exactly all the possible 53 mechs can be stationed? Or will they give me a head's up before I get to make my "choice"?

DJ Maestro
07-23-2008, 11:28 AM
Screw the choices, go Russian Roulette style. Drop your options in a hat, swirl 'em around, reach in, pull one out. Whatever you pull, that's where you pick. Now that is living on the edge my friend. :D :goodjob:

IndianStig
07-23-2008, 11:37 AM
much respect to you military men. i would deploy overseas if i were you being you are young with no real commitments stated. great way to see to world and experience things you may never come to hear/see of again.

oh yah...no military experience here but thinking about it for after college.

EvasiveEF9
07-23-2008, 11:47 AM
much respect to you military men. i would deploy overseas if i were you being you are young with no real commitments stated. great way to see to world and experience things you may never come to hear/see of again.

oh yah...no military experience here but thinking about it for after college.
Why after? You know mil will pay for your college education, right?

IndianStig
07-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Yah but I am already committed to my fraternity, and I'm not about to leave and cut short the greatest part of my life to date.

Plus I'm way outta shape right now, getting too much ass, too much booze, and don't you get an instant promotion for graduating college ahead of time? I don't mind paying for my own education when I can afford it either.

ultm8mind
07-23-2008, 12:08 PM
Jumpin, you going to 173d, 503d maybe? That is who I am assigned to now. They are finishing re-deployment now. I got out a couple months early to come do the Warrant thing. But yeah, you with 4th BDE? 508th PIR by chance? I know how that is bro, lol. Did that for a little before realizing when I get out I would need a skill, lol. Just kidding, had fun but needed more. But yeah get out and see the world PFC, most places you can take the car and you can always come home once or twice a year, see the people doing the same thing OR have them come to you so they can experience somewhere else in the world. Always have positives and negatives to both scenarios though. I would get outta around home though, but that's just me.....

Being over there and having guys die is going to happen, many of my friends paid the ultimate sacrifice. My unit lost too many while we were there and ALWAYS remember you're not home until you get home. Not too much ice cream in the Korengal though but we were lucky to get hot meals; when I say "hot meal," I mean a scoop of rice, that's how bad it was at times. But I did get to spend the last couple months in Jalabad and yeah, makes you feel as if you earned a little something the hard way. :2cents:

jumpin800agl
07-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Couldn't have said it better!
The place lit up in 04. I was gone for about 5 weeks and I came back to the BK trailer and the spa. Never got an appointment...shoulda.

I used to shuttle special squirrels back and forth from Solerno to Chapman. I preferred Solerno only cuz at the time there weren't any Marines at Chapman.

Ice Cream. Hmmm...I missed out.

sh1t hole in the middle of nowhere, close to Paki border. Sounds like Orgun E.
Yeah I was last there in 2004. I got a massage at Bagram. You could get an hour massage for 30 bucks lol. The outdoor gear store sold North Face coats super cheap, I got a 300 dollar coat for 100.

I just liked Chapman since it was just my company and an SF A team out there doing operations, very low key away from higher ups.

The sh1t hole wasn't Orgun E. We had to set up our own firebase east of Kabul to run intercept on people crossing the border to disturb the elections that were going on in '04. We deployed on short notice in Sept.'04 to support them and returned in November after they were over.

jumpin800agl
07-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Yah but I am already committed to my fraternity, and I'm not about to leave and cut short the greatest part of my life to date.

Plus I'm way outta shape right now, getting too much ass, too much booze, and don't you get an instant promotion for graduating college ahead of time? I don't mind paying for my own education when I can afford it either.
With a bachelor's you can come in as an E-4 pay grade or possibly do Officer Candidate School or Warrant Officer. Army will repay up to 65k in student loans also.;)

jumpin800agl
07-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Jumpin, you going to 173d, 503d maybe? That is who I am assigned to now. They are finishing re-deployment now. I got out a couple months early to come do the Warrant thing. But yeah, you with 4th BDE? 508th PIR by chance? I know how that is bro, lol. Did that for a little before realizing when I get out I would need a skill, lol. Just kidding, had fun but needed more. But yeah get out and see the world PFC, most places you can take the car and you can always come home once or twice a year, see the people doing the same thing OR have them come to you so they can experience somewhere else in the world. Always have positives and negatives to both scenarios though. I would get outta around home though, but that's just me.....

Being over there and having guys die is going to happen, many of my friends paid the ultimate sacrifice. My unit lost too many while we were there and ALWAYS remember you're not home until you get home. Not too much ice cream in the Korengal though but we were lucky to get hot meals; when I say "hot meal," I mean a scoop of rice, that's how bad it was at times. But I did get to spend the last couple months in Jalabad and yeah, makes you feel as if you earned a little something the hard way. :2cents:Yeah I am headed to 173rd in February. I was with 1-505th PIR while at Bragg. I a mstuck in USAREC right now though. Congrats on the WO thing, I have considered doing that myself after getting some college. How did you like Italy? PM me if you like.

DevilK9
07-23-2008, 01:03 PM
Yeah I was last there in 2004. I got a massage at Bagram. You could get an hour massage for 30 bucks lol. The outdoor gear store sold North Face coats super cheap, I got a 300 dollar coat for 100.

I just liked Chapman since it was just my company and an SF A team out there doing operations, very low key away from higher ups.

The sh1t hole wasn't Orgun E. We had to set up our own firebase east of Kabul to run intercept on people crossing the border to disturb the elections that were going on in '04. We deployed on short notice in Sept.'04 to support them and returned in November after they were over.

Interesting. So while you were at Chapman, did you ever get a ride (about 90mph w/ night vision) in a green pickup from an ******* Marine with an insatiable smoking habit ($6 Marlbora cartons rocked!!)

If so, that was me.

Sorry about the Orgun E assumption. Most people who landed there had no idea what it was.

EvasiveEF9
07-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Hmm...wheels in my head are hardcore turning...

Damn me for having to check in in two hours. I need to shower and get in my A's.

EvasiveEF9
07-23-2008, 01:36 PM
Hey, uh...anyone have experience with acquiring a tag for a new car in ga when you're stationed elsewhere...?

My tag crap came in the mail to my house in GA, so I haven't read it...but I had my mom glance it over, and for whatever reason, supposedly I have to go down to the tag office in person. Anyone know anything about this?

BanginJimmy
07-23-2008, 01:36 PM
So the airfield IS Cherry Point? I was under the impression Cherry Point was about an hour away...?

I think a rape case DID occur...probably after you'd left. Don't know, though.

Any idea where I could glance at a chart or something and find out where exactly all the possible 53 mechs can be stationed? Or will they give me a head's up before I get to make my "choice"?

Like I said, the only places they have 53's is Cherry point, Miramar, Hawaii, an Oki. You will definately end up one of those places.

Its new River that I was talking about not Cherry Point. I cant believe I messed that one up.

EvasiveEF9
07-23-2008, 01:45 PM
Like I said, the only places they have 53's is Cherry point, Miramar, Hawaii, an Oki. You will definately end up one of those places.

Its new River that I was talking about not Cherry Point. I cant believe I messed that one up.
Wait...so now I'm lost. New river is the one you said sucks? Or cherry point?

Any of the above I'd be fine with... All I ever found about Oki was f18's...glad to hear there's more.

ash7
07-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Anyone have any experience with such a decision, whether it be you, family, or a friend?

Thanks in advance to all who can open some thoughts.

When i had to decide i chose east coast, wound up at Langley AFB in the 27th Fighter Squadron 1FW, which was only 11 hours away from home. A lot of my friends chose Japan, and wound up regretting it.

The Sgt. gave you good advice :goodjob:. Coming home on occasion just because you have the weekend off is worth more than having a "good" time in a strange place where you're just "another one of those guys in the military."

-jonathan

DJ Maestro
07-23-2008, 03:58 PM
When i had to decide i chose east coast, wound up at Langley AFB in the 27th Fighter Squadron 1FW, which was only 11 hours away from home. A lot of my friends chose Japan, and wound up regretting it.

The Sgt. gave you good advice :goodjob:. Coming home on occasion just because you have the weekend off is worth more than having a "good" time in a strange place where you're just "another one of those guys in the military."

-jonathan

Very good advice right here. Home is where the home cookin' is. :goodjob:

jumpin800agl
07-23-2008, 04:57 PM
Hey, uh...anyone have experience with acquiring a tag for a new car in ga when you're stationed elsewhere...?

My tag crap came in the mail to my house in GA, so I haven't read it...but I had my mom glance it over, and for whatever reason, supposedly I have to go down to the tag office in person. Anyone know anything about this?
I have never had an issue getting my tag while away from home. You can mail in the payment and your new registration will come in the mail. If not just have your mom go down there and explain the situation and I am sure they will let her get it in your absence. my dad did this for me several times during deployments.

EvasiveEF9
07-23-2008, 07:21 PM

-jonathan
Damn, how you been? Hope all is well...I see you've changed cars, AGAIN...good god.

I found out some semi-good news after I checked in the. The 53's are no longer in Oki...only the 46's. The 53's are only located now in Cherry Point, New River, Miramar, and Hawaii. Honestly...I'm already with any of them. I can't think of any of my friends that wouldn't wanna come out to Hawaii...socal is...well, as much as I wanna go, that'd probably be the 4th choice on my list. Both CP and NR are withing 8hours from my house, depending how I drive. Right at 500miles which is my weekend liberty boundary. So now I just gotta get through school.

Very good advice right here. Home is where the home cookin' is. :goodjob:
Agreed, but...Itold my mom to leave MY room the hell alone when I left. Apparently, she's already got my sh*t mostly in boxes, according to my sister, but sometimes she blows things outta proportion. So...now, my "home" is an area...not a place (make sense...?)

I have never had an issue getting my tag while away from home. You can mail in the payment and your new registration will come in the mail. If not just have your mom go down there and explain the situation and I am sure they will let her get it in your absence. my dad did this for me several times during deployments.
Definitely gonna try that...did they request any form of consent form or anything like that? I'll see if I can't send my mom like...friday.

ash7
07-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Damn, how you been? Hope all is well...I see you've changed cars, AGAIN...good god.

I've been well bro, no complaints from me! And you're going to be working on the same machine i wanted to when i signed up with the AF years back.... except the Marines probably have a LOT more of them than we did (thus a lot more job openings). Are you working with the PaveLo, or the SeaStallion variation?

-jonathan

BanginJimmy
07-24-2008, 10:42 PM
Wait...so now I'm lost. New river is the one you said sucks? Or cherry point?

Any of the above I'd be fine with... All I ever found about Oki was f18's...glad to hear there's more.

Oki (MCAS Futenma) doesnt have f18's. There are Ch53's, CH46's, AH1's UH1's and C-130's.

Mainland, MCAS Iwakuni, has f18's, EA6B's and AV8B's.

Cherry point sucks. Its New River thats on Lejuene, not cherry point.